• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Alvin

Banned
This is a gaming forum. Maybe you’re in the wrong place Neo...
Discussing about a game takes a couple of minutes. That is nothing compared to what amount of time is wasted on a product that makes you play for 3 hours straight and then throws that time and progress away from you.

Last edited:

Alvin

Banned
😂 Karen got you all hot and bothered 😂😂😂
Ha, I think you're projecting kid. Is that the reason why you insert so many emoji's in your statement? You literally look like a person from that sideview meme with mask and ugly crying behind it.

Entroyp

When you beat the game, do you start over with harder stuff?

Or is it the end and you start a new game from scratch?

You return to the moment of the crash on Biome 1 but you can move between Biome 1 and Biome 4 using a device in Helios. You keep all the permanent upgrades. I believe this is when you can start looking for the sun fragments to unlock the final house sequence.

Ma-Yuan

Finished it yesterday its a great game no doubt but also flawed. I encountered one bug at the start of a cycle couldnt open doors or interact with anything otherwise no issues what so ever. Difficulty is all over the place bosses are to easy and some runs just fuck you with useless upgrades... So I don't reaching the bosses was the biggest hurdle that wanted me quitting three times at least Hut each time I said one more try and beat the boss after that try 🤣 the story is good I guess but I have no clue what's going on... For me it's not a good sign if I have to watch YouTube videos with interpretations... Explanations ok but guess work not my style. Sound is superb I guess. Otherwise don't hate me. It doesn't look next-gen to me 🤣 imagine quality is fine also when it runs at 60fps I am happy but the rest mode kills performance for me(I guess it goes into the 40s after several seasons with rest mode) and after a while I get weird sound bugs that are fucking scary. I was first not sure if it was on purpose but it's a minor bug. Certain gunturrents make horrible deep bass sounds.... All in all I can recommend this game. Would be nice if they get a bigger budget for their next game. Also UE4 seems dated now even with ssd some stuff loads in after the scenes started...

SCB3

So, some of us have spent some time on the game now. Honest question:

Do you think it is worth the $70? Should others wait for a price drop?

What say you?
I'm having fun with it, so I'd say yes and I was one of the people lamenting its price as being too much, there's a lot here to play, its crushingly hard, like a souls game can be, you can get a lot of milage from it

Alvin

Banned
You’re coming to a gaming forum to shit on gamers for having nothing better to do than gaming?
At least that doesn't take me three hours.
Oh wait. Apparently I'm too busy reading a novel by William Faulkner. I can't be bothered right now.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Returnal has a problem with the difficulty level, in my opinion. Not that it's too hard, because it certainly isn't, but there are artifacts, parasites and also weapons that simplify the game enormously. Lifeleech (depending on the adrenaline level), health when killing enemies or weapons like electropylon drivers are just way too good when used properly. For example, I had a run with the artifact that returns HP when killing enemies. That coupled with the electropylon weapon and the right playstyle (hide and seek) virtually guarantees that you will finish biome 4 to 6 without any problems.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Final boss is down, now the hunt for the secret finale begin (hopefully it's gonna be more clear than the normal finale)

Can i find these things needed for the secret finale if i still have to see one or two house cutscene?!

Last edited:
Ok, these rocket drones make me not want to play anymore. I mean, what am I supposed to do when there are 8 or 9 flying around and giant dude is crawling around in turbo mode after me. It's absurd and just not fun

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok, these rocket drones make me not want to play anymore. I mean, what am I supposed to do when there are 8 or 9 flying around and giant dude is crawling around in turbo mode after me. It's absurd and just not fun
Use a weapon with some aoe like the rocket luncher or the hollowseeker with the homing rounds or the granade launcher, so you can fuck them up when they are in group.

Also always on the move when you have a lot of drones and a big boy, chip their life away while moving, don't offer an easy target.

SLB1904

Banned
What gun you are using?
I found the acid gun great agains them.
Also stay close to pillars wher you can dodge them easily. But yeah acid gun should do the job.
I had the best run last night.
Another advice increase your health. And get artifact. I got this artifact where I get health by killing enemies, my health was always full

Vindicator

Finally got the grappling hook, defeated Ixion on the 1st attempt, was really close though, but the pay to win pylons did their job once more, next run got killed by those drones in the 3rd Biome as well despite using the acid gun, need to unlock more perks, just got it yesterday.
Also the Artifact with the blast at the end of doging is fun, helped alot against those annoying bats in the 1st Biome, slow but steady progress still.

SLB1904

Banned
Finally got the grappling hook, defeated Ixion on the 1st attempt, was really close though, but the pay to win pylons did their job once more, next run got killed by those drones in the 3rd Biome as well despite using the acid gun, need to unlock more perks, just got it yesterday.
Also the Artifact with the blast at the end of doging is fun, helped alot against those annoying bats in the 1st Biome, slow but steady progress still.
My advice is dont rush. Explore every biome again get all those buffs before you go back to the 3rd biome
Last night I had an amazing run. Explored every side room got loads of keys and artifacts
By the time I got to the 3rd biome I was melting everything

Dibils2k

I had the explosive acid gun and it was shredding the 3rd boss! but i had zero health boosts or extra life so ended up dying on its 3rd phase

i think key is going through 1st and 2nd biomes fully before going to 3rd, but its so tedious lol i just skip from looting 1st to 3rd

Darak

Unfortunately, giving advice for this game is not very useful due to its heavy RNG nature. Against drones, the two tactics which work are killing them immediately before they shoot you (high DPS/AOE weapons, spreading fire) and hide and seek, preferably with a DOT weapon (acid/pylons). But chances are you won't find a suitable weapon before facing them, or they will spawn around you in an empty platform in the middle of nowhere.

I think they nerfed them in the new patch (the one they rolled back), so you could wait until they release the patch again to see if that improves your chances. I may be wrong, though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Discussing about a game takes a couple of minutes. That is nothing compared to what amount of time is wasted on a product that makes you play for 3 hours straight and then throws that time and progress away from you.

It’s a rogue like… some of us like them.

The game is only missing a temp save and that is only useful to let you use the ps5 for something else because If you set the ps5 to sleep it will keep the game open.

hollowseeker is probably your best bet for the drones because of the homing

if you find a hollowseeker with portal beam or portal turret, definitely pick that up for the drones

i found one in biome 5 that has both portal beam and turret and wow is that ever easy mode

FranXico

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've got the sun fragments for all biomes except for biome 3

Oh boy :messenger_smirking: back to hell we go
Was it difficult?! Like are they well hided without the map signaling them?!

I heard that they can not appear during a run, in that case what i suppose to do? I'm not gonna replay the game 6 times because the rng for story objects is fucked up...

Do i have to watch all the house cutscenes before they start to appear or jist completing the game and starting new game+ is enough?!

Last edited:
Was it difficult?! Like are they well hided without the map signaling them?!

I heard that they can not appear during a run, in that case what i suppose to do? I'm not gonna replay the game 6 times because the rng for story objects is fucked up...

Do i have to watch all the house cutscenes before they start to appear or jist completing the game and starting new game+ is enough?!

They show up as a resource icon on your minimap. It seems they appear in a specific room on each biome though.

I got a fragment in biome 4 on my first run, and then 5 and 6 in my second run when I died in biome 4.

BIome 1 and 2 I got on my first run as well

Not sure on the house. I'd imagine so but I already saw all the house scenes before the credits rolled

Malachai

Gold Member
Nearing biome 3 boss for the first time, hanging on by the skin of my teeth and I glitch into the side of a chest and can't get out 😑 Cycle restarted. Would've probably got annihilated by the boss anyway but man that shit cuts deep.

drotahorror

I was hoping the weapon traits would be retroactive with weapons when you pick them up. Like for instance, I have earned Wave III for the Hollowseeker. But it's still possible for my weapon to roll Wave I and Wave II depending on my proficiency. I can't get Wave III until much later proficiency. Kind of sucks. I was hoping there would be a sort of power creep element with the weapon traits.

Top Bottom