• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal is voted the best game of 2021 by The Guardian

tommib

I don’t know. I didn’t create that thread. I’m questioning whether we need a thread for when every entertainment outlet announces a game of the year??
The thread below this one is about Josef Fares saying he would rather get shot than something NFTs. Get over yourself. Someone decided The Guardian was relevant enough for a thread. At least it's not some fanboy website or a fucking blogpost. Fucking newspaper was founded in 1821 and has a broad cultural impact in English speaking countries. Get over it.

Is this really thread worthy?
Of course or have you ever heard of The A.V. Club, Gaming Route, Mashable or Muropaketti? No, you didn't. But people know that daily newspaper. Also all the celebaiting (no typo) makes this thread highly entertaining.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Everyone who said they played a bit of it and returned it, or whatever, are only saying one thing: it was more important for them to assert superiority and hate this game than it was to put in the effort to complete it.

Frankly you're the last people whose opinions anyone interested in a valid take should listen to.
What are you saying, only opinions from fans are valid takes?
= Everything is GOTY Yeah!!1! 🥳

Lol seriously though, I don’t agree. There are unnecessary harsh takes of course but I’ve jumped into many games after seeing high praise from fans and it’s honestly a lottery everytime if I’ll like them or not. It’s all a matter of taste. While some opinions may hurt for fans I think the best idea is to hear all sides and then make a choice if it’s worth playing a game or not based on what you know about your own taste in games.

ParaSeoul

The thread below this one is about Josef Fares saying he would rather get shot than something NFTs. Get over yourself. Someone decided The Guardian was relevant enough for a thread. At least it's not some fanboy website or a fucking blogpost. Fucking newspaper was founded in 1821 and has a broad cultural impact in English speaking countries. Get over it.
The people on here who talk about the quality of X thread are somehow never there when the worst of the worst go up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Of course Returnal will win Goty on SonyGaf. We had a thread the other day where a business page said the series S sold very well in November because of its availability compared to other consoles , and the forum went into meltdown.... Some even said it was a paid article by MS.
wtf does the series s have anything to do with returnal winning goty ?!
I find people vigorously defending this console that will hold the generation back way too more....

Anyway - Returnal is good. Very good. Especially impressive with pulse 3d.
And the vibrations broke my r2 spring lol. The game is intense.

kingfey kingfey Ascent ?! I don't get the appeal. I tried it on pc and it's not too good aside from graphics which are not THAT impressive from top down view.
I was hoping for a fun twin stick shooter and I think the hub and quest are too much for what I wanted

Last edited:

Fredrik

The problem is that the game wasn't in first person mode. Maybe it should have been.
No it’s perfect, more games should be top-down instead. One of my favorite perspectives for action, everything gets tighter by default since it show more of what’s going on around you, try dodge a bullet from an enemy behind you in a first person shooter, then do the same in a top-down shooter. And I like that you only aim with the stick to the edge 360-degrees.
Metroid Dread was awesome too, 360 degree aiming but only side-scrolling movement. Perfect. Zero camera issues. 👌

Last edited:
Very happy for Housemarque for this GOTY :messenger_smiling_hearts: . At last the game is getting some well deserved recognition !

Some influencers on YouTube and social networks posing as "gaming journalists" were crying like babies and harshly criticized Returnal on release because the game does not "spread its legs" and offers a challenge to the player. Returnal did not give their ego an easy ride from the beginning to the ending. So, they attempted to shoot it down.

Never forgive, never forget these fake gamers.

Calverz

Says the guy with a returnal avatar 🤣

tommib

Very happy for Housemarque for this GOTY :messenger_smiling_hearts: . At last the game is getting some well deserved recognition !

Some influencers on YouTube and social networks posing as "gaming journalists" were crying like babies and harshly criticized Returnal on release because the game does not "spread its legs" and offers a challenge to the player. Returnal did not give their ego an easy ride from the beginning to the ending. So, they attempted to shoot it down.

Never forgive, never forget these fake gamers.
So true, everyone's like - gameplay above everything else, don't tame down your games for casuals! And here we have an arcade game at heart, with epic, monstrous challenges and state of the art graphical technology. "But it's an indie game that looks like a PS3 game!" It was embarrassing and still is to witness.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What does walking sim even mean? Name at least 2 "walking sims" and explain how it qualifies. I'll be surprised if you could actually do that
It does not mean much, just an excuse for trolling a genre that your favorite console had less hits of. Look at the Series S troll here and the likes it got, some overlap in the crowd.

I like that Kojima built a brilliant mechanic out of traversal, it feels almost like an epic troll: making a real walking simulator game lol. Only Kojima ;).

Last edited:

tommib

Lol the only triggered one I can see in this thread is you mate.
Sure, sure, "why do we need a GOTY thread" for this game that I dislike? Sure, I'm the triggered one!
RCp4glq.png

YCBRK9w.png
kx3kLjh.png

dqgR07h.png
gGda62m.png

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wouldn't say 9 GOTY is "raking up tons of awards". Even if we account for the volume of awards given out the ratio isn't very high so far. Certainly nothing close to TLOU 2.
To be fair, though, nothing even comes close to TLOU 2.

Even Ghost of Tsushima, a universally acclaimed game by critics and users alike still only has, what, ~22% of awards that TLOU 2 got.

Sure, sure, "why do we need a GOTY thread" for this game that I dislike? Sure, I'm the triggered one!
RCp4glq.png

YCBRK9w.png
kx3kLjh.png

dqgR07h.png
gGda62m.png

BC8CSyE.gif

off-topic: my god the sodium levels in this thread is off the charts!! Lol 😆

On-topic: glad to see returnal get some deserved recognition!! while I haven't personally played it, it's one of the games along side demon's souls and Marvel's spiderman remastered that I want when I get a PS5 someday....

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The best 15 video games of 2021 list:

1 - Returnal

2 - Psychonauts 2

3 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

4 - Deathloop

5 - Hitman 3

6 - Forza Horizon 5

7 - Unpacking

8 - Overboard!

9 - It Takes Two

10 - Halo Infinite

11 - Resident Evil Village

12 - The Artful Escape

13 - Super Mario 3 D World + Bowser’s Fury

14 - Monster Hunter Rise

15 - Wildermyth

Can't complain, solid list.

Kydd BlaZe

Been thinking about giving this game another shot. Was getting my ass handed to me at the first boss and I just gave up thinking about how hard the rest of the game must be. I enjoyed what I played, but the resetting after every death and having to claw my way back to where I was, only to get crushed again and again was just too off-putting. Not really a fan of these rouge-like games, but Returnal seemed pretty cool.

SirTerry-T

Nice to see Housemarque getting some love. Don't get much chance to play their titles these days but they have always been a very classy outfit, right back to their Amiga days. Glad they're still around.

Strange not to see Metroid Dread in that list though, clearly it must have contained something that rubbed The Guardian lot up the wrong way ;)

kingfey

Banned
The problem is that the game wasn't in first person mode. Maybe it should have been.
Budget is the issue for these kind of games.

With enough budget, the game would have been the talking of the town. Considering the devs are this much talented to produce this quality, with low budget.

Hope Either Sony or MS buys this studio. The potential is there.

kingfey

Banned
wtf does the series s have anything to do with returnal winning goty ?!
I find people vigorously defending this console that will hold the generation back way too more....

Anyway - Returnal is good. Very good. Especially impressive with pulse 3d.
And the vibrations broke my r2 spring lol. The game is intense.

kingfey kingfey Ascent ?! I don't get the appeal. I tried it on pc and it's not too good aside from graphics which are not THAT impressive from top down view.
I was hoping for a fun twin stick shooter and I think the hub and quest are too much for what I wanted
There is potential there. They are like ninja theory, when they made hell blade.

They need some kind of financial backing, to and change the game to 1st person. That is where the game shines.

kingfey

Banned
Honestly I want to play the game badly but the 70euros price is just...killing me and it has been on sale for a lot of times with just 25%... ffs Sony, your sales are garbage. if it drops to 50% then I'll gladly buy it. Until then, I cant with how much shit is coming in February...
Do 1 year memory Wipeout. And magically, all games would be cheap. And you will get dlc with the game. Much cheaper than day1.

Side effect, everyone plastering the game in front of your face for the entire year.

tommib

Honestly I want to play the game badly but the 70euros price is just...killing me and it has been on sale for a lot of times with just 25%... ffs Sony, your sales are garbage. if it drops to 50% then I'll gladly buy it. Until then, I cant with how much shit is coming in February...
Just wait for a bigger sale indeed. I'm basically done for 2022. I pre-ordered Elden Ring and GT7 and with the backlog that I have I'll do my best to not buy anything new. I have a shit ton of Switch games to finish. It's my New Year's Resolution. No new games in 2022 unless something really juicy comes out - like Bayo 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom