• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal is a succesfull new IP ( Sony Investory Day )

yurinka

I'm very happy to see Housemarque there. Let's hope now Sony buys them.

I'm also very happy to see in the IP Powerhouse list Days Gone, Bloodborne and Dreams. Let's hope they are also happy with them and plan to continue working on these IPs with more support for Dreams, new games for Media Molecule and sequels for Days Gone and Bloodborne.

Miles probably bomb as well
Miles debuted with great sales. Its trailer had a gazillion views and the first Spider-Man sold a lot, so Miles will end selling a ton of copies.

Ghost Of Tsushima sold 6.5 million copies with an 83 Metacritic.

Returnal has an 86 Metacritic but isn't going to come remotely close to Tsushima in sales, due to the shortage of PS5 consoles and (*whisper it*) the high bar price point.

But you'd have to be a console warrior not to consider both games successful.
Returnal was made by a way smaller team than GoT, so doesn't need to sell that much to be a success. And well, Tsushima would also have been a success selling way less.

We know that Sony likes to brag about sales. But only if they are great :)
In this case, if Sony says Returnal is a successful new IP to their inverstors it means it had great ratings and specially sales. They included it and GoT with their 'IP powerhouse' list, which is so big that Gran Turismo, Uncharted or Little Big Planet aren't included there.

Last edited:

Three

Of course, it's successful for them. What are they going to say? 'This game we just released is shit and so is the studio that made it, all in all we fucked up, lol'

I mean it's not a shit game or studio at all, but why would they call it anything other than a success?
They could just not mention it in a slide if it wasn't. This is an investors meeting presentation not an IGN interview where they were asked.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Returnal is the best game eva!
Hell yeah! I just crossed 40 hours last night and can't wait to start my next run. Gotta find the sun shard in the sunken depths this time.

Nope. I'm just keeping the same energy.
We know that Sony likes to brag about sales. But only if they are great :)
This doesn't even make sense. Who boasts about their failures to their financial investors?

When things are debatable (like the claim in this thread), I want to discuss it.
It's not really up for debate because you can see the slide for yourself where Sony calls Returnal a successful new IP. They know better than you. Or if you're in charge of a major entertainment empire, have launched your own successful IPs, and have proof otherwise, feel free to share.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
NPD results today, Returnal 8th on the overall list, 3rd on PSN. I believe the PSN NPD chart is counting both PS4 and PS5 games since Ghosts of Tsushima is there.

Just for context this is with 2 days of tracking.

So yeah...I would call that a successful new IP too.

They could just not mention it in a slide if it wasn't. This is an investors meeting presentation not an IGN interview where they were asked.
Exactly. They wouldnt have mentioned it at all. Like there is a weird way they have Days Gone on the slides.

Its wild how some think these things go.

Last edited:

John Wick

It did the same in Japan, but only sold roughly 2000 copies. That's why these rankings are pretty much useless if you want to gauge the success of a game.
But why would you care? Returnal is made by a small team. It isn't a AAA game so it doesn't need to do AAA numbers to be a success. The fact it's 8th overall and 3rd on NPD with 2 days tracking in April means it sold relatively well in one region.
Nobody is claiming it broke records.

John Wick

I don't even think it has much to do with sales per se, rather the actual profits - GoT sold a ton, everyone knows that, but Returnal is a relatively small project, it's an AA game basically, without tons of characters that needed months of voice acting and mo-cap sessions, and 70€ price tag on top, so I think it's safe to say the game broke even really really fast, and quickly started to generate pure profit, despite not hitting millions of copies sold within a week.
Why are you a party popper? What's wrong with you talking sense and all that. The warring is more important

But why would you care? Returnal is made by a small team. It isn't a AAA game so it doesn't need to do AAA numbers to be a success. The fact it's 8th overall and 3rd on NPD with 2 days tracking in April means it sold relatively well in one region.
Nobody is claiming it broke records.
This thread wouldn't exist if people didn't care.

TidusYuna

Time to green light Returnal Quality Dead Nation 2. I need something to quench my Days Gone 2 thirst.

deadnationheader.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It did the same in Japan, but only sold roughly 2000 copies. That's why these rankings are pretty much useless if you want to gauge the success of a game.
You do realize the games it went up against in different regions might can give you an idea, right?

NPD: The Show just did best numbers ever in the series after going multi platform.

Returnal is 8th on the overall list. That includes Xbox, Nintendo, probably PS4 also.

PSN, it did 3rd. The Show was obviously 1. Miles is 5th, the game thats been selling like hotcakes. The NPD PSN chart is mixed PS4 and PS5....

All this with only 2 days counted.....vs all the others that had more days counted. Lowest after Returnal is probably The Show with 11 days.

Combine what lil info we have....and it wasnt a mega bomb some of yall hoped.

And when PS posts the PSN top downloads, we will see if Demon's Souls is still on the PS5 chart for another month.

Using UK, Japan, etc is cool for trying to guesstimate, but some of yall need to wait for the rest of the numbers to come in before declaring any vindication.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Successful IP" in that context, seems purposely vague.

It looks like a slide meant to be passed and shared on enthusiast message boards.

SLB1904

Banned
I am happy for HouseMarque, but wow… they have to put a big picture of Jade Raymond to talk about the partnership with her studio they are helping to setup. In a financial doc/official PR for investors? Are they on some inside joke?

Qku2PCe.jpg
i mean everyone knows her. wtf is project haven

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The lack of bragging about explicit numbers of sales is somewhat worrying. Which is a shame. Returnal is a unique game in a sea of samey samey games.

I only hope housemarque was able to negotiate with sony a smaller sales goal.

yurinka

I am happy for HouseMarque, but wow… they have to put a big picture of Jade Raymond to talk about the partnership with her studio they are helping to setup. In a financial doc/official PR for investors? Are they on some inside joke?

Qku2PCe.jpg
I thought the same, maybe because she is popular and the studio maybe still don't have a logo. But c'mon, that picture is from 15 or 20 years ago.

The lack of bragging about explicit numbers of sales is somewhat worrying. Which is a shame. Returnal is a unique game in a sea of samey samey games.

I only hope housemarque was able to negotiate with sony a smaller sales goal.
The game was released less than a month ago, and this document maybe has been a week or two with approvals or corrections. So maybe they only had the numbers of the first week or two when they wrote it. It's a niche game for a console that only has a few millions sold, so the sales numbers must be relatively low when compared to mega blockbusters they released for a console with a huge userbase as happened with TLOU2 and GoT.

Sony knew this type of game don't sell a ton, and knew they were going to have a small console installbase when were planning it and setting sales goals. In fact, the console sold a bit better than they expected. For sure they won't expect to sell 10-20 million copies of this game as their top blockbusters do, they may expect to sell 1 or 2 millions, and that's ok for them because it has a smaller budget with the goal of getting some quality game to fill catalog during the first months of the console and to appeal a pretty small niche and very particular type of player.

They saw the reviews and the initial sales of the couple of week or so and they were good enough to consider it a successful new IP for the context of this game, it achieved its goals. Goals that very likely weren't to get millions of units sold in the first a couple of weeks so don't share the number because it wouldn't be representative of how happy are they with the game, it wouldn't be impressive and only would be useful for dumb fanboy attacks.

What is important is how many copies did it sell. What is important is Sony is happy with it and considers it a successful new IP, like GoT but obviously in another context and in another scale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom