• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Emulators are on Xbox One/Series X|S for a while now. And you might have heard you can use them in Developer Mode (which costs 20€/$) or you can get whitelisted to use them in "Retail" (normal) mode
Well now you don't need either it seems... at least for now (who knows if MS will remove the apps) so get them fast

Holy shit, dude… thanks for all of this!

I’ve now got Silent Hill 2 on my Series X and LG CX in 4K, running at a buttery smooth 60fps… and I haven’t even started looking at any other improvements yet.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Last edited:

Banned
Holy shit, dude… thanks for all of this!

I’ve now got Silent Hill 2 on my Series X and LG CX in 4K, running at a buttery smooth 60fps… and I haven’t even started looking at any other improvements yet.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

glad I was of help.
but the real heroes here are the guys constantly reuploading these. Microsoft basically wipes them off the store once a week it seems. it's almost like clockwork lol.

if you aren't yet definitely use the standalone PS2 emulator tho.
Retroarch works for PS2 but it's not ideal

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
glad I was of help.
but the real heroes here are the guys constantly reuploading these. Microsoft basically wipes them off the store once a week it seems. it's almost like clockwork lol.

if you aren't yet definitely use the standalone PS2 emulator tho.
Retroarch works for PS2 but it's not ideal

Yeah, I grabbed the standalone from the Brazilian store. So far, it's pretty rock solid, which is amazing, considering it's not been around all that long. Grabbed Duckstation as well for SH1. It's kinda bizarre booting up twenty year old games with such good fidelity :messenger_grinning_smiling: The 4k up-rez on both is way better than I thought it would be. Absolutely playable, and probably easily the best way to play these games in 2022.

Banned
Yeah, I grabbed the standalone from the Brazilian store. So far, it's pretty rock solid, which is amazing, considering it's not been around all that long. Grabbed Duckstation as well for SH1. It's kinda bizarre booting up twenty year old games with such good fidelity :messenger_grinning_smiling: The 4k up-rez on both is way better than I thought it would be. Absolutely playable, and probably easily the best way to play these games in 2022.

yeah the emulator seems to be pretty much on par with the PC version, I can't really see a difference yet.

thanks to Konami's awful attempt at remastering this is the best way to play them yes 🤣

Banned
there is now an app that can replace the download website (also available on said download website)

it might soon become the exclusive way to download the emulators Gamr13 uploads

and apparently there's a reason for it? 🤔

the app seems to he pretty convenient tho. it basically has the same function as the website currently has, but you don't have to use the web browser anymore and links to reuploads update automatically

Last edited:

Banned
I wish I had the chance to grab that beta version of PCSX2 before it got taken down.

yo, look in the first post. the basically finished version is up for grabs currently. get it fast!

it's on par with the PC version from all I have experienced yet

some rogue uploaders are uploading them but they get taken down after a week usually.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
yo, look in the first post. the basically finished version is up for grabs currently. get it fast!

it's on par with the PC version from all I have experienced yet

some rogue uploaders are uploading them but they get taken down after a week usually.

Oh shit, getting it stat

thanks !

Banned
Oh shit, getting it stat

thanks !

this version even has the weird stick sensitivity shit fixed by default.

all you really have to change is the button combination to bring up the Emulator menu. I personally always use Select + Dpad Down as that's a combo no game ever uses.

Banned
apparently the apps on gamr13's site are currently down and Microsoft is doing something with Dev Mode currently that prevents him from uploading atm.

the PS2 emulator should still be online as that is a different uploader

Last edited:

Banned
apparently the apps on gamr13's site are currently down and Microsoft is doing something with Dev Mode currently that prevents him from uploading atm.

the PS2 emulator should still be online as that is a different uploader

Microsoft fixed the issue it seems, so emulators should be back up or come back up soon

small tip, if you download any of them, always install on the internal drive and start them at least once! this makes sure that you can still use them once they have been removed from the store! because starting the emulator basically activates your license to use them, which only works as long as they are available!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I can't believe that Microsoft haven't blocked this yet.

A shame it doesn't work on xbox one x (don't have next gen)

Esppiral

You can emulate Up yo de Dreamcast on a base Xbox one, PlayStation 2, Wii, GameCube and sega Saturn are out of the equation due to the meagre CPU.

Last edited:

Banned

all of these emulators work on Xbox One as well, just don't expect anything above PS1 to run well. some Dreamcast games will work fine, any maybe some very simple GC and PS2 games can be playable, but I'm talking super simple... I think Persona 4 runs OKish on Xbox One... I think I saw a video of that a while aback...

Duckstation (PS1) and all the 8 bit and 16 bit cores in Retroarch should work fine. PPSSPP (PSP) should also work pretty well I think

use standalone emulators where possible (PS1, PSP, DC, PS2) because performance will usually be better than using Retroarch.

Last edited:

Banned
Are these still working? Can I still download them?

yes, they got reuploaded just a few hours ago after Microsoft fixed their dev mode services.
just follow the instructions in the first post of the thread.

the video on how to download them is outdated tho, you now have to get the App Store, which streamlines future downloads

just a few tips, install on your internal drive, and start them all at least once to activate your license to use them.

they get deleted by Microsoft every week, and if you didn't start the Emulator before that it will be unusable once the exact version you downloaded is deleted from the store

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
yes, they got reuploaded just a few hours ago after Microsoft fixed their dev mode services.
just follow the instructions in the first post of the thread.

just a few tips, install on your internal drive, and start them all at least once to activate your license to use them.

they get deleted by Microsoft every week, and if you didn't start the Emulator before that it will be unusable once the exact version you downloaded is deleted from the store
Ok thanks. Do I have to do the Brasil region thing?

Banned
Ok thanks. Do I have to do the Brasil region thing?

only for the PS2 emulator, but I would get that one fast because who knows if it will ever be reuploaded once it's gone again.

the devs of PCSX2 are really against people uploading it to the store for some reason noone really understands... so these rogue uploaders is all we got lol

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
only for the PS2 emulator, but I would get that one fast because who knows if it will ever be reuploaded once it's gone again.

the devs of PCSX2 are really against people uploading it to the store for some reason noone really understands... so these rogue uploaders is all we got lol
Ok will do once my kids get off TV. Do I open his GitHub on Xbox and go from there?

Banned
Ok will do once my kids get off TV. Do I open his GitHub on Xbox and go from there?

yeah the video in the op is not completely up to date anymore, I'll update that later today I think.

what you do is you go go on the site I linked with the big download button in the OP, and then download Gamr13's App Store.

this is an app from which you will be able to download all the homebrew software he uploads which is Retroarch, PPSSPP, DuckStation, Flycast and some homebrew games from time to time (he only uploads stuff that the devs give him permission to, and some homebrew devs can be weird about reuploads)

this app is easier to use than constantly downloading through the browser.

downloading the PS2 emu is done by copy/pasting the MS Store link I posted in the OP (see tutorial video) and setting your system to Brazil

Last edited:

Banned
I tried installing his app and it kept running into problems. Got a message like "something went wrong on our end".

he just reuploaded them today, it sometimes can take a few hours until they are downloadable.

try again in an hour or so. I'll check if I get the same error real quick.

edit: yeah same error on my end. like I said, could be that it isn't ready to download yet. I think theres some verification process happening on Microsoft's end, most likely malware checks and stuff like that, before the apps are downloadable.

and he has to reupload all the apps, including the app store, every week because they get deleted after a week with the current way of doing things

also if you check later make sure to refresh the website, because it could be that the link has changed

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Downloaded and installing. Thanks 01011001 01011001

Btw, I already have retroarch and duckatation from last time. They're called pub4. Do I delete those and get these from your link instead?

And ppsspp too. I think this is from the same guy.

Last edited:

Banned
Downloaded and installing. Thanks 01011001 01011001

Btw, I already have retroarch and duckatation from last time. They're called pub4. Do I delete those and get these from your link instead?

you should get the newest Retroarch version and then follow the USB setup in the video I linked in the first video if you use a USB drive for your stuff.
with the newer versions and this new method shown in the video, almost your entire Retroarch setup can be done on the USB drive. meaning ISOs, ROMs and BIOS files can all be on the USB drive and read from there.
Save States will also be on your USB drive then and can be transferred to a new version should you ever need to redownload, or you can even share 1 drive between a PC and your console basically.
all you have to do for new installs of retroarch then is to set up your folder paths again and you'll be ready.

but if you didn't do any fancy setup already for any of them i would redownload all and be save. but you can totally leave that as is if you already set up Duckstation and can't be bothered to do it again

Last edited:

Banned
Whats the current steps to get this working from scratch? Assume the op is outdated. Got a series X

no I just recently updated the OP. i try to keep it up to date. all the main steps are in the OP

Retroarch is the most intense one to set up with Bios files and folder structures etc.,
PPSSPP is basically plug and play with no BIOS files needed and basically no setup at all... just load ISOs and play,
and PCSX2/Aether2SX, Duckstation and Flycast are simple to set up but you need bios files

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Oh man, that PCSX2 from Brazil has horrific icon on my dashboard. Is there anyway to change that?

Banned
Oh man, that PCSX2 from Brazil has horrific icon on my dashboard. Is there anyway to change that?

sadly no... but it seems to work 🤷‍♂️ hasn't been deleted in over a month I think...
weird name + weird icon seems to actually kinda work, at least for a while

Kilau

Gold Member
sadly no... but it seems to work 🤷‍♂️ hasn't been deleted in over a month I think...
weird name + weird icon seems to actually kinda work, at least for a while
Ok, I’ll see how it works for me and the games I have. Thanks for the guides and research you’ve done.

TLZ

Banned
Ok all installed. Just Retrix didn't install and gave an error. Thanks 👍

Last edited:

Banned
Ok all installed. Just Retrix didn't install and gave an error. Thanks 👍

Retrix is just a Retroarch alternative, I wouldn't use it either way, it's a nice alternative if you like that interface but it's quite literally just Retroarch with less functionality

TLZ

Banned
Retrix is just a Retroarch alternative, I wouldn't use it either way, it's a nice alternative if you like that interface but it's quite literally just Retroarch with less functionality
Yea I had a look on YouTube. Just wanted to try something different, but not lucky this time.

tuco11

Just saw a Youtube today from ETA Prime on how to get Retroarch Retail on Xbox Series X/S. I already have it via developer mode but would prefer not having to switch back and fourth. Removing Retroarch from Developer mode and just installing Retail version shouldnt cause any issues?

thanks!

Banned
Just saw a Youtube today from ETA Prime on how to get Retroarch Retail on Xbox Series X/S. I already have it via developer mode but would prefer not having to switch back and fourth. Removing Retroarch from Developer mode and just installing Retail version shouldnt cause any issues?

thanks!

there will be no issues no

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Emulation On Xbox Series X Or Series S just got super easy! No Dev Mode is Needed!
This works in retail mode and it allows you to play PS2, PSP, Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube, and more on the Xbox using Retroarch! PS2 and Gamecube on the Xbox Is Awesome!

00:00 Introduction
00:14 Overview Ps2 on Xbox
02:42 How To Install Retroarch Retail Mode
04:12 Retroarch Setup Retail Mode
07:44 USB SetUp Games And Bios
12:46 Finishing up

Crew511A

Does anyone know how to switch between Hardware and Software mode? It's am option on PC, but I can't find it here.

Antwix

Interesting. Just watched ETAprimes video and had a couple questions. I've had retroarch/duckstation/etc installed for quite awhile now but I recall with gamecube that you had to switch video driver to get it to launch. he didn't mention that and he just booted it right up. is this not the case anymore? also, you can do gamecube isos from usb now too? i suppose i gotta update!

Mitsurux

I followed the etaprime video and got everything installed and running(retroarch). Could not believe how easy it was to set up. Using an og Xbox one, I've tested nes, snes, tg16, Gen/32x, gba and am more than happy with the results.

SpiceRacz

I've had Retroarch on my Series X for a while, but had some difficulty with PS2 setup. Finally got it going today and first game I tried out was Auto Modelista. It's one of the more difficult PS2 games to emulate. Set it to 4K and holy shit this game looks good. Runs smooth as butter too. Going to try out Castlevania Lament of Innocence next.

Banned
Does anyone know how to switch between Hardware and Software mode? It's am option on PC, but I can't find it here.

which emulator? Retroarch? PCSX2? Duckstation?

in Retroarch it should be in the video settings in the quick menu, each core has a different menu structure but there should be a way to change it.
some cores may not offer that option, not sure.

in PCSX2 it's simply in the video settings where you can chose between DX11, DX12 and Software.

YCoCg

Does this support i think theyre called front ends where you can view/play your games by selecting images/icons of the game?
RetroArch is a front end, once you add your games and what not, simply go to Updater and select Thumbnail Download, and it will grab all the boxarts/screenshots, etc for the games you have.

Banned

one thing in this tutorial that is not really optimal is the way you should set up your USB drive... it seems he doesn't show the whole USB setup where literally all you bios, saves, playlists and roms are on the USB for easy transfer to newer versions.

for a proper USB setup tutorial I would watch the video I linked in the OP from Gamr13 himself

if you follow that USB setup tutorial you will never have to transfer anything over FTP ever again and you will even be able to use 1 USB drive for multiple systems should you wanna do that. (maybe PC and Xbox, or 2 Xboxes etc.)

Last edited:

Crew511A

which emulator? Retroarch? PCSX2? Duckstation?

in Retroarch it should be in the video settings in the quick menu, each core has a different menu structure but there should be a way to change it.
some cores may not offer that option, not sure.

in PCSX2 it's simply in the video settings where you can chose between DX11, DX12 and Software.
Thanks, I was looking for PCSX2. I'll give this a shot tonight.

Top Bottom