• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Banned
Is there any way to increase the 30gb appdata limit on Series X?

sadly no. but remember that anything that is smaller than ~2GB can be run from USB. so you should only have PS2 and Wii games on the internal storage that are bigger than 2GB. maybe some bigger GC games or bigger PSP games should also be run from the internal drive (the ~1.5GB ones) but that's about it

I personally just use a cheap USB stick myself, but you can of course use an external SSD or HDD

Last edited:

Banned

Flycast has been updated with XBOX/UWP support, DirectX11, 120Hz, GGPO netplay and more.

so this is now an offical UWP version? because there has been one already, which had some issues with Direct X and only ran well when using Open GL

Last edited:

stranno

Yes, this is the official standalone port by flyinghead. I guess RetroArch core will be updated with the mainstream changes as well.

Banned
the people behind the retail uploads made a new Subreddit and it seems really helpful:

one of them also made a REALLY good tutorial video for best setup practices

I will add this to the OP as it shows a more up to date way to set it up, and it shows how to use external storage to work without flaws! SO even it you already have Retroarch installed, check this out, especially the later parts where he shows how to configure your external USB storage

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Hi, I'm currently trying to configure this on my Series S. I believe I did everything fine until the FTP section when using Filezilla. I connect to my Xbox using a PC then i can't find the goldensky retroarch folder. How come?

Thank you!

guys i really really need help with duckstation, ive watched guides but it just doesnt seem to work, when i connect my ftp to my xbox its fines, but duckstation seems to be in a folder called localstate, when i put games in there they just dont appear or the local state folder doesnt appear on the duckstation app at all, feel like im never gonna get this running.

Killer8

200.gif

PCSX2 standalone coming to Xbox Series X|S via a UWP app.

Banned
guys i really really need help with duckstation, ive watched guides but it just doesnt seem to work, when i connect my ftp to my xbox its fines, but duckstation seems to be in a folder called localstate, when i put games in there they just dont appear or the local state folder doesnt appear on the duckstation app at all, feel like im never gonna get this running.

mhh. imma look into this, but I first have to install duckstation. it should work tho, weird.

EDIT:

J jezhumphrey75
so I downloaded the app and got my game running within 2 minutes, not entirely sure what your issue specifically is but here is a step by step how I did it.

first I opened the app, which creates the necessary subfolders and shows me what the folder of the emulator is called for ease of finding it. easy to see in the top row.
20220525_032501j7k4e.jpg

then I copied my BIOS and my ISO over by opening FileZilla, connecting
15aj2h.png

I clicked on the folder of Duckstation and then on LocalState

2fmkfo.png

in here I searched for the Bios and Games folders...

3uvjea.png

and last but not least copied over the bios and for this example Destruction Derby Raw ( Can anyone stop the mechanical mayhem? :pie_roffles: )

4xek29.png

after copying all the necessary things over I went back to my XBox and searched for the game

START FILE
20220525_0331581ekkn.jpg

that opened up this screen, I click on GAMES
20220525_033205ndkhn.jpg

here I find my ISO file

20220525_033211brkkx.jpg

aaaand... here we go!
20220525_033310kvk7z.jpg

so removing the time it took to take pictures of both my TV and screenshots of my desktop, it was maybe 2 to 3 minutes of "work" to get the game running, that is including downloading Duckstation and copying over the file.

very simple and easy from what I can tell. I hope that helps you and everyone wanting to play PS1 games on Xbox

Last edited:
mhh. imma look into this, but I first have to install duckstation. it should work tho, weird.

EDIT:

J jezhumphrey75
so I downloaded the app and got my game running within 2 minutes, not entirely sure what your issue specifically is but here is a step by step how I did it.

first I opened the app, which creates the necessary subfolders and shows me what the folder of the emulator is called for ease of finding it. easy to see in the top row.
20220525_032501j7k4e.jpg

then I copied my BIOS and my ISO over by opening FileZilla, connecting
15aj2h.png

I clicked on the folder of Duckstation and then on LocalState

2fmkfo.png

in here I searched for the Bios and Games folders...

3uvjea.png

and last but not least copied over the bios and for this example Destruction Derby Raw ( Can anyone stop the mechanical mayhem? :pie_roffles: )

4xek29.png

after copying all the necessary things over I went back to my XBox and searched for the game

START FILE
20220525_0331581ekkn.jpg

that opened up this screen, I click on GAMES
20220525_033205ndkhn.jpg

here I find my ISO file

20220525_033211brkkx.jpg

aaaand... here we go!
20220525_033310kvk7z.jpg

so removing the time it took to take pictures of both my TV and screenshots of my desktop, it was maybe 2 to 3 minutes of "work" to get the game running, that is including downloading Duckstation and copying over the file.

very simple and easy from what I can tell. I hope that helps you and everyone wanting to play PS1 games on Xbox
thanks for that....when you installed your duckstation its in the Q file.....mine has installed to U....is this my issue?

god now my ftp wont even connect the durango ftp on xbox...is there anyway to upload the bios and games direct to duckstation on the xbox itself????

Banned
god now my ftp wont even connect the durango ftp on xbox...is there anyway to upload the bios and games direct to duckstation on the xbox itself????

lol what? that's weird. which FTP client are you using?
I recommend using FileZilla, I never had issues with that

Banned
yeah on Xbox One systems its on the U drive, on Series consoles it's Q. just a difference in how they are organised.

classic ftp which was fine now it wont connect....filezilla has never connected for me...feel like tearing my hair out with this lol
mhh... do you have the newest available version of Durango FTP installed? if you really don't get it to connect, maybe try deleting and redownloading Durango FTP

I could check later if it's possible to use a USB drive with Duckstation, I barely use the standalone version so I'm no expert in that.
I know a new way to fully utilize external USB drives was found when using Retroarch, not sure if the same is true for Duckstation

DonJorginho

Banned
I wanna do this on my Series X for one purpose and one purpose only, play Silent Hill games without that awful HD Collection being my only method.

Do they run well on the Series X or am I gonna waste my time?

Banned
I wanna do this on my Series X for one purpose and one purpose only, play Silent Hill games without that awful HD Collection being my only method.

found a video of SH2 on Series X

if they actually release a full standalone version of PCSX2 the quality and compatibility will improve further, but even now with the Retroarch core the compatibility is reasonably good

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
found a video of SH2 on Series X

if they actually release a full standalone version of PCSX2 the quality and compatibility will improve further, but even now with the Retroarch core the compatibility is reasonably good

Thanks for this man, great help.

Does the Durango FTP kerfuffle work with Macs?

yeah on Xbox One systems its on the U drive, on Series consoles it's Q. just a difference in how they are organised.

mhh... do you have the newest available version of Durango FTP installed? if you really don't get it to connect, maybe try deleting and redownloading Durango FTP

I could check later if it's possible to use a USB drive with Duckstation, I barely use the standalone version so I'm no expert in that.
I know a new way to fully utilize external USB drives was found when using Retroarch, not sure if the same is true for Duckstation
yeah literally just downloaded a new one from github.

Banned
Thanks for this man, great help.

Does the Durango FTP kerfuffle work with Macs?

I assume there are FTP clients available on Mac, so you should be fine as long as the FTP client works well.

I use FileZilla on Windows because it's simply the most reliable (some FTP clients can scramble folder structures so you have to make sure that every file is in the correct folder and order after copying over)

the new method for fully using USB drives (support for BIOS files on USB and games bigger than 2GB over USB) sadly only works on Windows because you have to change user rights in the folder settings, that's only possible on Windows because you are working with Windows user access rights there

Last edited:

Banned
retail bud, its the only way i wanted it to work tbh...ive just downloaded fillezilla which also wont connect to the durango ftp on xbox.

I just saw that the github page has a retail link, cool, didn't know that.

weird that it doesn't work for you 🤔
have you tried rebooting the Xbox? I know many use the fast boot mode on Xbox, and I know that that can have issues with some games, so maybe it also introduces issues with the FTP app

edit: also if you are connected over wifi maybe try a wired connection.

I sadly can't really help here as I never had any issues connecting to my Xbox, so I'm not sure where the issue can be here.

the only thing that comes to mind is the aforementioned issue with fast boot mode, or maybe issues with your router... maybe...

edit2: the only thing I saw online is someone saying you should have either both, your PC and your Xbox use Wifi or both use a wired connection, and to not use a mix of wifi and wired.

personally I have transferred from a Wifi connected PC to my wired Xbox... so I never had an issue with that, but it's worth a try if you use wifi or a mixed connection

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

I've tested SM, SH2 and SH3.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Some slight sound bugs. They aren't major and not exactly annoying to a point where you would quit, they also don't happen constantly, but they do happen. Some slight dips in the frame-rate every once in a while too. Again, nothing major... except when the levels open up. The more open, the worse the frame-rate. When you turn off the flashlight it runs smooth again though. Anyway, I would consider this to be definitely playable, but there are also quite a few issues, so I'll rate it "somewhat playable".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Widescreen patch: off

---

Silent Hill 2

Very very minor graphical glitches, barely noticeable. There seems to be a very slight micro-stutters every once in a while. Maybe I'm just imagining it. lol
Game runs very good. Sits somewhere in between "perfect" and "almost perfect", depending on whether the stutter is real or not. Right now it sits at "almost perfect", but I am pretty sure most won't recognize any stutter.. so yeah.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Widescreen patch: on

---

Silent Hill 3

The intro doesn't display properly. The music plays, but there is no video. Every other cutscene works flawless. It's just the intro (meaning the opening when starting the game, before the main menu). This game looks fucking amazing. How can a PS2 game look this good? Holy shit. Ah, there are also some very very small sound bugs, nothing major and they happen very rarely. Just like SH2, it sits somewhere in between "perfect" and "almost perfect", although I couldn't notice any stutter here. Both SH 2 and SH3 are perfectly playable emulated. The issues aren't anything major. Meet me at a good day and I'd rate them with the "perfect"-rating.
Rating: "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Widescreen patch: on

---

Still need to try out Origins and SH4.

Last edited by a moderator:

WoJ

I played Silent Hill 2 on PS2 retroarch Series X last fall and it played totally fine upscaled to 4k. I don't hate the remasters like most but there's no way I could play SH2 any other way after the experience running it emulated on Series X.

Banned
classic ftp which was fine now it wont connect....filezilla has never connected for me...feel like tearing my hair out with this lol

EDIT: strike that, the app was patched to not have access anymore, that's what I expected tbh.

there might be 1 possible way to get BIOS files onto your Xbox btw. but I haven't tried this in a long time, and recently Microsoft has secured their file system a bit more it seems, but it might be worth a try.

you need to download the trial version of "My Files Explorer". that is a file explorer app on the Microsoft store.
this, back when I last tried it, was the only app on the console that could access basically all the files on your XBox, including the Q/U drive and the app folders in there.

so what you could do it copy all the bios files you want to copy over to a USB drive, connect the drive and then start the free trial period of the app (which lasts a few hours)
from there try copying over the bios files into the bios folder of Duckstation on your U drive.

you can of course buy the app, costs about 3 bucks I think... but the trial should be enough to copy the bios files over, maybe some games.

EDIT2: the only other possible solution I can think of, if nothing else works for you, is to simply use Retroarch for PS1 emulation.

here's a way to use USB only and never use any FTP program for Retroarch. this was newly discoverd a few months ago and basically allows you to simply use extrenal USB drives to save everything, including bios files.
this wasn't possible before, because even if you changed the bios location in Retroarch, it wouldn't work correrctly.
it basically comes down to the fact that the Xbox has to have full admin access to the folders.

THIS ONLY WORKS ON WINDOWS!

here's the video by the man himself who uploads the emulators etc.

Last edited:

Banned
PCSX2 standalone released for Xbox one/series!!! no more dead retroarch core

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

SSX is running like a snowdream! whoo hoo

daaaaamn that was fast

but there's a warning that it might have issues due to being a very early version. still tho, that was speedy as fuuuuck lol.

I wonder if there's any hope for disc support down the line for these emulators.
imagine if you could actually use real PS2 discs, that would basically be backwards compatibility at that point.

accessing discs should be possible in theory, I think the VLC media player app can access CD and DVD media for example

that would be especially amazing in combination with a port of one of the more advanced Xbox emulators, to fill the gaps in the official backwards compatibility

Last edited:

Banned
Nice! but why don't you play the gamecube version of those games? they are easier to emulate and look better.

SSX1 is a PS2 exclusive, it was a launch title and GC and Xbox weren't even out yet when it released

for SSX2 and 3 the other versions are superior of course. 3 is also backwards compatible on Xbox and is basically the best official version available

Last edited:

Banned
so I tested PCSX2 a bit, and there's a lot of things that immediately will feel better than the Retroarch core,

but you can not yet call it a finished emulator!

what do I mean by that? well, many options are still missing. for example you can not change controller settings yet. and that is a big issue!
why is it a big issue? well, for PS2 you need to be able to adjust the stick sensitivity of your controller. the default setting PCSX2 uses is not suitable for Xbox controllers.

you will notice that some diagonal analog stick inputs will not get detected, because the outer edge of the analog stick doesn't get detected correctly.

in Retroarch you can fix that by simply increasing the stick sensitivity in the global controller settings. but like I said, the standalone PCSX2 is missing these settings currently.

BUT, the positives are already very obvious.

the Retroarch core had MASSIVE amounts of input lag. I would say it was about 50ms if not more of additional lag.
that input lag is GONE in the standalone version. so inouts feel immediately more responsive and more like og PS2

performance also seems way better. video playback is more stable and Framerates are better than OG PS2 from what I can see.

here are a few videos with all the performance data on the top right (you might need to wait until they finished processing)

Urban Chaos over here is the real performance test (ignore that I'm playing the pal version here lol)

on original hardware this specific mission and spot drops below 30fps/25fps (pal lol) while PCSX2 hold a perfect 25fps here (again... pal xD sorry)

Last edited:

Killer8

in Retroarch you can fix that by simply increasing the stick sensitivity in the global controller settings. but like I said, the standalone PCSX2 is missing these settings currently.

What would be your recommended value for this in Retroarch (for other 3D games such as PS1)?

Wouldn't be surprised if PCSX2 got the same slider Duckstation has, which I believe it says to set to about 1.35 on Xbox.

Top Bottom