• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Releases on May 7th, 2021 (Cross-gen, PS4/PS5/XB1/Series/PC)

MacReady13

No version of Village on the future of gaming, Stadia? The streaming service will miss out on the big game of early/mid 2021?
Anyway, color me unimpressed so far. Why release this on previous gen consoles? Fucking move on from that shit now, especially for a game that deserves a full next gen experience.

sinnergy

No version of Village on the future of gaming, Stadia? The streaming service will miss out on the big game of early/mid 2021?
Anyway, color me unimpressed so far. Why release this on previous gen consoles? Fucking move on from that shit now, especially for a game that deserves a full next gen experience.
Corona .. and making money .

Nvzman

Dude, these consoles haven't been out for half a year, I think you need to chill. The game likely started development for PS4/Xbox One. There's no reason for Capcom to go all in on a grand total of maybe ~15 million next gen owners versus that + 150+ million previous gen owners. The game looks great, I'm not complaining whatsoever.

Kuranghi

"PS4 graphics"? Maybe its totally different in HDR vs. SDR - I've only tried HDR and turning it off in settings made the game output incorrectly, all grey instead of just SDR in an HDR container, so I think you need to switch the PS5 and the game to SDR to make it output correctly, will try SDR in a minute - but I thought the HDR was the best I've ever seen and the game looked fucking stunning to me.

When you are standing on the parapets in the main hall looking at the staircase and chairs it looked like some sort of ultra high resolution CGI background, I was blown away.

Last edited:

Arachnid

"PS4 graphics"? Maybe its totally different in HDR vs. SDR - I've only tried HDR and turning it off in settings made the game output incorrectly, all grey instead of just SDR in an HDR container, so I think you need to switch the PS5 and the game to SDR to make it output correctly, will try SDR in a minute - but I thought the HDR was the best I've ever seen and the game looked fucking stunning to me.

When you are standing on the parapets in the main hall looking at the staircase and chairs it looked like some sort of ultra high resolution CGI background, I was blown away.
Yeah, this game looks fantastic. There is no classic PS4 game that looks this good.

Last edited:

Stuart360

So cross gen officially confirmed now. I still think the game looks pretty good. Its just the textures really that hold it back, but some of the textures in Resi Evil 7 were god awful, and that game still looked almost photorealistic at times, at least on PC.

Last edited:

Stop it looks identically to RE 7.

johntown

Banned
Is it just me or does that vampire lady have some massive boobs? Reminds me of boobs in Ninja Gaiden games.

SuperGooey

The castle interior gives off major Spencer mansion vibes! Glad puzzles will play a big part in this game since they were mostly absent in RE3R, and not very varied or interesting in RE7. There seems to be so much variation in locations and enemies this time, which is super important to me. Also, the character designs are distinct and really do have that "Capcom charm," especially with the The Duke.

Based on this screenshot, it looks the RE8 will be sectioned off into 4 parts where you take on a different member of the family (very similar to how RE4 and RE7 worked). With the Umbrella logo being predominant, I'm curious to see how Capcom will connect this with the previous games:

There is also a map that shows where these 4 houses are, as well as revealing the location of some kind of lake monster. Damn, this is exciting!
IvzNTsR.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Only one thing I am worried about and that's a length, if it is like RE 3...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The highly-anticipated Resident Evil: Village will make you put in more hours than the previous Resident Evil 7, Capcom confirmed in an official statement. However, the exact time for Resident Evil: Village's completion has not yet been announced.

I think it all depends on how long you it took for you to finish RE7. According to articles like the one I found, it is suppose to be longer and larger. I would say its a lot longer than RE3, but even the original RE3 was not very long. I just picked up the Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Document File book. Its a collection of all the developer notes/articles concerning the development of RE7. Which is super interesting to me.

I'd imagine, give it a couple months and it'll be like any other entry into the series. Someone will find an exploit or a way to push themselves towards a faster score.

Astral Dog

I can't really say without playing, but developers have mentioned its gonna be longer than 7 was and 'surprise' players, imo 7 was perfect lenght for a survival horror game, as long as its filled with cool content and scenes, problem is the weak last part it already feel tiring. VILLAGE already has varied enemies!

RE3 problem besided the cut parts is that it got too linear, despite having around the same content as 7 and 2 its remembered much worse for its lenght

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I see people complaining about the cross gen decision. I couldn't be happier that the game is releasing on the PS4. I have no need for a PS5 right now and it's not like you can even find one. I feel like Capcom threw it's fanbase a huge bone by getting it to play on PS4 gen hardware. Also, the game was likely developed with PS4 hardware in mind, even if it was PS5 only, it's not like it's going to utilize the hardware to it's full potential. RE9 will do that.

MrA

Banned
I can't really say without playing, but developers have mentioned its gonna be longer than 7 was and 'surprise' players, imo 7 was perfect lenght for a survival horror game, as long as its filled with cool content and scenes, problem is the weak last part it already feel tiring. VILLAGE already has varied enemies!

RE3 problem besided the cut parts is that it got too linear, despite having around the same content as 7 and 2 its remembered much worse for its lenght
I actually thought 7 was slightly short before they added not a hero (but given that was free, it was probably the intended length), which made it perfect to me,
Hopefully, we get 5-8 good boss unique boss fights 5 or 6 different feeling areas

with re3make I think the biggest problem was how entire areas were excised and the rest truncated (if it wasn't a remake of 3, with 3 more hours of first-run gameplay 3 would have been fantastic, especially considering the gameplay is so good

Kuranghi

I actually thought 7 was slightly short before they added not a hero (but given that was free, it was probably the intended length), which made it perfect to me,
Hopefully, we get 5-8 good boss unique boss fights 5 or 6 different feeling areas

with re3make I think the biggest problem was how entire areas were excised and the rest truncated (if it wasn't a remake of 3, with 3 more hours of first-run gameplay 3 would have been fantastic, especially considering the gameplay is so good

What was your first-run time for RE3make? Mine was ~10 hours including cutscenes, I must be really slow. I do wish there was a bit more, like another hour or two, but thats probably just because I liked it so much. There are faults and its obvious where they've cut things from the remake, even though its already a truncated version of 3 (As you say), but I think of it like horror films in general.

They always have these parts in them (near the end) where it feels like they precis'd the screenplay down to its bare minimum, maybe for cost since its not the most popular genre, but also because horror has that kinda roughness to its style. I'm not saying every horror film is grindhouse style or something but most horror films are the opposite of say The Revenant in terms of artsyness and cinematography, ie technically perfect filmmaking is much much less important than the feeling.

As a specific example: John Carpenter's The Thing - there are lots of things in the screenplay that they didnt get to do that might have made the film better, but at the same time maybe it would've just slowed down the pacing and made the film worse off.

I think too much is always worse than too little so I'm glad it turned out the way it did tbh, but I'm also not really a big fan of RE3 OG, when compared RE1 an RE2 OG especially, so I didn't blink when they said they had removed a lot of stuff. I just thought, well as long as its a good game I'm happy. These are definitely reimaginings, I can see how its frustrating for OG fans after RE2make was so much more of a faithful recreation (Even if stuff is still cut, there is enough added to make up for it imo, plus in some cases that stuff was less than stellar game design/fun anyway so it was for the best, in their eyes), that really set people up to expect the same treatment for RE3make when its much more of a reimagining than just a remake.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
What was your first-run time for RE3make? Mine was ~10 hours including cutscenes, I must be really slow.
just about 4 and a half hours, 2 took me about 8, and it had the advantage of 2 characters and all the extra stuff capcom added,
if re3 had been a 30 dollar dlc I'd have been like, heh it's fine ,
plus the original re3 had the fantastic mercenaries mode, that being absent really stung,

Top Bottom