• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 VR - Official Gameplay Trailer

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Watch a japanese influencer with 3 million subs play RE4VR. I was miffed cut scenes were in a window when that was announced but it seems to be handled decently. A relatively seamless transition so you don't actually look around during a cut scene as you otherwise could since cut scenes in non VR games often aren't proper off camera, characters will pop in just outside the field of view to then animate in front of the camera rather than arrive from somewhere, then pop out or sit in some random T pose. They weren't gonna remake all that. I like how they did the radio discussions, holding it in your hand and the world fading out. Melee is in, and sort of like I thought, character pops in front of you to do the pre canned animations. Not as smooth as I hoped they could make it, have leon actually jump in front of you then do the move etc, it kinda just snaps him into place but oh well. Better than removing it and reducing it to just you throwing a manual punch or something, no more kicks and suplexes etc. So seems like they're doing all they can to properly make it into VR and still keep it RE4 we know and love. I'll still miss the zombie interactions of made-for-VR games like Saints & Sinners but the campaign's quality, length and variety clearly make up for any of that, it's a true classic that never gets old.

Now if only it's not a permanent exclusive forever and ever and there's a clause alongside whatever funding Oculus did to make it happen to allow Capcom to eventually release it on non Quest platforms after x time (and they care to do so by then).

Last edited:
Looks fun but sadly not something I'll get to play because it's out of my price range and don't have the specs to run it.

Excited to see people play it in VR though, it's one of my favourite Resident Evil titles. I loved playing through it.

stranno

These Q2 exclusives are nonsense, and I have a Q2. If the device is capable, go on, but Q2 is an Android device barely capable of providing decent versions of the games. Just compare PCVR The Climb (available on Q2 as well) with Q2 exclusive The Climb 2.

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Q2 version looks really cool, but let's see what they deliver. This, meh. Just launch it for any platform, almost nobody is going to spend 350€ just for this.

Last edited:

CuNi

PCVR or skip from me.
I am honestly amazed that Facebook tries something not even Epic tried, to turn portions of the PC into a console like experience where you're locked out if depending on what hardware you use.
I dislike the EGS for their "buying up developers" part, but at least I can decide if even exclusives are worth it to play them on there. With Oculus, it's not even a store choice, it's literally having 2 VR headsets and still not being able to play this game because neither my G2 nor my Index are a Oculus device, and I am not into those hacks that allow you to fake having a Oculus headset since I am not spending money based on a trick that might lock me out of my games.

Alexios

PCVR or skip from me.
I am honestly amazed that Facebook tries something not even Epic tried, to turn portions of the PC into a console like experience where you're locked out if depending on what hardware you use.
I dislike the EGS for their "buying up developers" part, but at least I can decide if even exclusives are worth it to play them on there. With Oculus, it's not even a store choice, it's literally having 2 VR headsets and still not being able to play this game because neither my G2 nor my Index are a Oculus device, and I am not into those hacks that allow you to fake having a Oculus headset since I am not spending money based on a trick that might lock me out of my games.
All true but doesn't really apply to this game as far as we know (or most all future Oculus made/funded games since they're clearly abandoning PC with Lone Echo 2 among the last such titles) as it's just for their latest VR console, Quest 2. Hopefully it does go multiplatform eventually though.

Last edited:

MarkyG

I see they censored the game even further (at least in Japan) by gimping headshots. There are very low-res and over glowing gibs when you pop a head but it remains on the body. Hoping this doesn't carry over to the the rest of the world.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I've had a Quest 2 for over a year and this is the first title I really want to play (for the device, plenty of cool shit using it as PCVR). Day one for me!

Tschumi

Animated GIF

(for real love this game this should be great but boy is this thing ubiquitous)

I see they censored the game even further (at least in Japan) by gimping headshots. There are very low-res and over glowing gibs when you pop a head but it remains on the body. Hoping this doesn't carry over to the the rest of the world.
i've got a japanese physical copy of cyberpunk that didn't let me give myself a huge wang (little did i know that when i did get a final version of the game my wang would not reappear for the rest of the game unless i ran around with no pants on (ever heard of undies, V?)) and had 'distortion' on every risky billboard lol... i think it's localised

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Could it be possible to try this on the Index? Maybe with Revive or something?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
With Oculus, it's not even a store choice, it's literally having 2 VR headsets and still not being able to play this game because neither my G2 nor my Index are a Oculus device, and I am not into those hacks that allow you to fake having a Oculus headset since I am not spending money based on a trick that might lock me out of my games.
How about having a PCVR Oculus device and still not being able to play it.

How's it's userbase compared to all the other VR sets that work in tandem with a PC?
Quest 2 is the fastest selling VR headset on the market. In fact as of March this year, it's the most used headset on Steam, which really speaks to it's install base, as it's beating out dedicated PC VR headsets.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Quest 2 is the fastest selling VR headset on the market. In fact as of March this year, it's the most used headset on Steam, which really speaks to it's install base, as it's beating out dedicated PC VR headsets.
oh cool, makes sense then.

Alexios

Derp, some dude has already speedran it in ~4.5 hours, lol. I guess he's played it before out of VR heh, min maxing his inventory and beelining to objectives and all. It doesn't look at all immersive here so be warned. Clearly he's playing sitting, probably resting his arms on the chair and only slightly moving his wrist around for the most part, while mostly using the analog sticks to move/turn/look. It almost looks like watching someone play the non VR version at times with how still his hands are and all the artificial movement. Still, the game's clearly intact and the AI works out similarly so he knows exactly when he's killed something and how much it takes to do that or knock them down, how they move etc. Naturally I wouldn't be playing like that my first time, I don't look to be an efficient terminator of the game but to enjoy it (theoretical anyway, no Quest 2 here). Still, cool stuff.

Note when he's using the sniper rifle like in 2:35:36 it has the old school round scope view in the black void, I hope there's an option for a proper VR version of that. Same for turning off the laser sights so you have to aim yourself etc., but that's probably an option for sure, the scope maybe not.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Derp, some dude has already speedran it in ~4.5 hours, lol. I guess he's played it before out of VR heh, min maxing his inventory and beelining to objectives and all. It doesn't look at all immersive here so be warned. Clearly he's playing sitting, probably resting his arms on the chair and only slightly moving his wrist around for the most part, while mostly using the analog sticks to move/turn/look. It almost looks like watching someone play the non VR version at times with how still his hands are and all the artificial movement. Still, the game's clearly intact and the AI works out similarly so he knows exactly when he's killed something and how much it takes to do that or knock them down, how they move etc. Naturally I wouldn't be playing like that my first time, I don't look to be an efficient terminator of the game but to enjoy it (theoretical anyway, no Quest 2 here). Still, cool stuff.

Note when he's using the sniper rifle like in 2:35:36 it has the old school round scope view in the black void, I hope there's an option for a proper VR version of that. Same for turning off the laser sights so you have to aim yourself etc., but that's probably an option for sure, the scope maybe not.

And people were claiming VR was going to make the game harder, when in my experience, it has always been the opposite. We have more control, more precision, better depth pereception, it's an "unfair" advantage that playing in VR has over the TV, and I'm all for it.

Last edited:

stranno

Wow, someone can actually play at IGN, I'm surprised.

Hands active in cinematics is really weird, I guess it is a glitch of the first version. I reminds me the idle animations being active in XIII Remake memories, with XIII reloading the weapon and making noises, while sneaking a bunch of conspirators 1 meter away :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And people were claiming VR was going to make the game harder, when in my experience, it has always been the opposite. We have more control, more precision, better depth pereception, it's an "unfair" advantage that playing in VR has over the TV, and I'm all for it.
Yeah, it's pretty much Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes first person view all over again.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeah, it's pretty much Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes first person view all over again.
More like RE4 Wii Edition. And that's still the best version of the game so far. Also, non VR versions can be finished in less than 1.5 hours. I'm sure VR players will get there too, depending on potential changes to shortcuts/events/progression triggers etc.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Does anyone know what the pricing of this is? I'm looking to purchase it when it releases in the UK tomorrow but the Oculus App doesn't have a price up yet it just states coming soon?

Alexios

Guessing 40 like most higher profile Oculus releases. 30 would be nice though. Edit: oh for UK that'd be 30 pounds in the former case, lol, I was just speaking dollars/euros.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Guessing 40 like most higher profile Oculus releases. 30 would be nice though. Edit: oh for UK that'd be 30 pounds in the former case, lol, I was just speaking dollars/euros.
Yeah it's usually £29.99 for higher end games so I guess its business as usual, thanks for confirming though much appreciated mate. Deffo picking it up as soon as it goes live.

Want it so bad. Waiting for one of those OCULUS30 coupons tho. I got plenty of game stop finish in the meantime. Almost done with Lone Echo.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil 4 VR reviewed on Oculus Quest 2 by Taylor Lyles.

Armature has put a lot of love into making Resident Evil 4 VR a fresh action-horror experience. From the reworked and extremely flexible controls to making puzzles less of a chore and more fun to interact with, the thoughtful changes here make it an easy recommendation for anyone who owns an Oculus Quest 2. That's true whether you've played it multiple times across different hardware generations already, or if it's the first time you'll be experiencing this modern classic. Given that it wasn't originally designed with VR in mind, it's truly remarkable how well Resident Evil 4 has been adapted. Here is our Resident Evil 4 VR review.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It’s a shame they removed so much or the personality. Will have to skip this one personally. Hoping for a pc release with mod support that adds back in all the cut dialogue.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Side by side comparison between Resident Evil 4 VR (Oculus Meta Quest 2) and the original version of Resident Evil 4 (Steam version with the original GameCube textures).

00:00 First house
04:51 Saving the dog
07:12 Village attack
12:24 Giant boulder
14:31 Luis Sera
15:23 Merchant
18:08 Orb puzzle
20:56 Dr. Salvador (chainsaw man)
22:35 Church
23:46 Puzzle outside the church
25:00 First snake in a box
25:56 Merchant store
26:25 Del Lago (giant lake monster)
33:32 El Gigante (giant boss fight)
37:18 Inside the church
38:08 Puzzle inside the church
39:15 Ashley Graham
40:01 Osmund Saddler
41:18 Cutscene with cut dialogue
41:44 Cabin standoff
45:00 Second El Gigante
46:36 Lifts
48:04 Bitores Mendez (boss fight)
50:58 Road to the castle
55:47 Ramon Salazar
56:52 Garrador boss fight
59:24 Big fight in the castle
1:01:45 Shooting range
1:02:51 Novistadores (invisible insect monsters)
1:03:39 Garden Maze
1:04:49 Ada Wong
1:06:07 Saving Ashley
1:07:19 Playing with Ashley

Top Bottom