• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots7

They call black Republicans/Independents self hating all the time and also call them words like “coon” and post the tap dancing Daffy Duck gif.

Yet NeoGAF is a den of racists? 🤔
I will never not laugh when I see that gif, don’t care about the context lol.

Why can’t we just ignore JK Rowling? She’s saying offensive shit, ok. But as a “fan” of the books, I really don’t give a fuck about JK. I honestly don’t think I would have even sought her Twitter out had I not seen the threads.

JordanN

Banned
Come on now, a non-binary gender choice isn't rocket science and isn't an "Era" thing.
This may disappoint you, but in my 26 year life experience being on this earth, I have never met or had the urge to call someone a non-female/non-male just based on appearances alone.

Much less I never had the urge to use a pronoun traditionally associated with a group of people.

If someone wants to call themselves a girl or boy and they make the visual effort to match it, there's no issue. But I can't look at someone who has all the biological characteristics of a male or female and assume they're a legendary 3rd gender. Again, it would require them having two heads or something before it ever crossed my mine.

Last edited:

Peterthumpa

This may disappoint you, but in my 26 years life experience being on this earth, I have never met or had the urge to call someone a non-female/non-male just based on appearances alone.

Much less I never had the urge to use a pronoun traditionally associated with a group of people.

If someone wants to call themselves a girl or boy and they make the visual effort to match it, there's no issue. But I can't look at someone who has all the biological appearances of a male or female and assume they're a legendary 3rd gender.
It's not about you - it's about the other. If he/she wants to be called by the "they" pronoun, why not just respect it? You're telling me you can't do it just because you don't like it? It doesn't change a thing in your life.

JordanN

Banned
It's not about you - it's about the other. If he/she wants to be called by the "they" pronoun, why not just respect it? You're telling me you can't do it just because you don't like it? It doesn't change a thing in your life.
I identify as the King of England.

So what if I dress up in clothes that came from Target? Respect my royalty or you're a Nazi bigot!

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Respect is earned, not given.

So when you're walking down the street, you just push everyone out of the way?
If they complain, you just shout "Earn my respect, you don't just get it!" and stomp off like a dick?
No, you don't, you show some basic civil courtesy that we all do in polite society.
You aren't being asked to genuflect before the high duke of pronouns, just....not be an open dick about basically nothing.

JordanN

Banned
So when you're walking down the street, you just push everyone out of the way?
Words do not constitute violence.

Even the idea that referring to someone's biological appearance is somehow malicious crosses into insane territory.
I treat every gender the same. No one has died.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, I mean - I won't argue with you mate, you're free to dismiss this matter if you don't agree with it, but I don't think it's too much to ask to at least understand the concept, I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to do that.
I understand the concept.
I just don't need to trip over myself on a subject that personally requires someone to tell me they're actually a third gender or not. It's just not important when addressing society at large.
In the same vein, I don't meet enough royal people to ensure my language treats everyone like his/her majesty.

Scientifically speaking, only 1.7% of my country's population even consider themselves under the LGBT umbrella. It is just statistically very very very rare....

Last edited:

belmarduk

ResetEra apparently has a problem with transphobia...
Most rational folks might think that REEEEE does too much to coddle these folks...
but no... you just can't win with some people.

ResetEra is an embarrassment to the LGBT community.

Astral Dog

I understand the concept.
I just don't need to trip over myself on a subject that personally requires someone to tell me they're actually a third gender or not. It's just not important when addressing society at large.
In the same vein, I don't meet enough royal people to ensure my language treats everyone like his/her majesty.

Scientifically speaking, only 1.7% of my country's population even consider themselves under the LGBT umbrella. It is just statistically very very very rare....
I don't get it either, i mean i can see someone choosing 'nonbinary' in a survey if say, they don't want or care picking male or female, like 'i don't think its important to give this information'and that being a valid option, or someone who isn't sure what gender he/she identifies yet if he/she is thinking of transitioning.

But an actual third gender defined as 'they'sounds like sci fi to me, even as someone who separates genders and sexual orientation, its easier to just say you don't care about genders but even thats not very common

Cancel culture is now running up against a new problem: What happens when people are just so far above your level that they are uncancellable?

J.K. Rowling, Elon Musk, Mel Gibson, Kanye West, Joe Rogan, the list of people who are literally rich beyond your comprehension, famous beyond your wildest imagination, and influential in ways that make you Reeeeeee will continue to grow. Ree should stick to small targets like indie video game developers, because these people are in another galaxy. But yeah, keep trying to cancel people who literally aren't aware you exist and wouldn't give a fuck if they ever found out, Ree!

Last edited:

nush

I'm not living my life as "The emperors new clothes".

When a fucking childrens story calls out this enabling of people that just want to be special and get attention when they have earned neither, take a step back and think about what you are promoting. You're telling me your argument would be the same for people identifying at attack helicopters, Deers or wolves?

nush

Did u come back just to post that lol

No, as of a few hours ago I already post-dived him. he came back 6 times this year to post only in this topic and once in TLOU2 topic. Actually a lot of them make a B-line right for the TLOU2 topic as well. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

benjipwns

Banned
I am literally dead, they are discussing the necessity of eliminating anonymous polls because enough people aren't getting banned just for voting the wrong way: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...-we-call-them-out-for-it.239539/post-38901862
RedCrayon said:
Last night there was one about a op asking if naming covid the Wuhan virus was racist. 30 people said no. Like I don't even know e.e
Yeah, we managed to close that one down in half an hour (it was like 6.30am for me and middle of the night in the US). It’s crazy to see the number of people who vote and run, so yeah, we just aren’t going to be allowing such polls on minority/bigotry-related issues. Voting and not posting to avoid moderation for a shitty point of view implies we shouldn’t allow such poll options to exist in the first place, it just allows a weight of indifference to dismiss the concerns of people who the question affects.
RedCrayon said:
Just curious, can mods/admins see who voted for what or is it really anonymous? Seems like a lot of these should be outright bannable.
I know I wasn’t able to, and am pretty sure admins couldn’t either. Seems like an option for anonymous votes for an option given by the thread/poll creator that would otherwise be actionable as a post were an oversight in the software. After 2.5 years of the site, I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t come up earlier, I guess we all thought it would be used for polls on ‘which is the worst Thor film’ and ‘Sonic, Mario or Crash’ rather than as a way to remind minority opinions that they were in the minority or for trash opinions to hide en-masse. Fuck that noise.
Anonymously voting on a hurtful answer seems like a sleazy and roundabout way to avoid a ban.
There used to be an option for making votes visible but it was removed a few months ago. Maybe on polls like that it should be enabled, although I guess in that case people would just avoid voting.
Having it set to staff side monitoring regardless would fix that.
If people know staff can see who voted, they won't vote.
But isn't it better that way since bad faith polls would be more scrutinized?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I try to think of non-binary pronouns in a real life context rather than an ERA context where people are screaming about it.

If someone in real life requests that I use their preferred pronouns then sure. If nothing else it’s a path of least resistance even if I don’t fully get it.

To me that’s different than authoritarian language policing that places like ERA and elsewhere pursue. I’m sure slipping up on someone’s preferred pronoun makes you literally Hitler.

GloveSlap

Most rational folks might think that REEEEE does too much to coddle these folks...

They have a ban quota to keep up. The less low hanging fruit around, the more everyone will be under a microscope. There are some very angry trans people over there. I sympathise with them, I really do. They were dealt a shit hand in life, but its not an excuse to take that anger out on people that did nothing to you.

recma12

As a straight white man (god, that sounds ERA as fuck lol) it would really interest me to discuss these issues with an IRL transperson tbh
Just don't believe hyper-sensitive ERA trannies, pissed off at life and full on meds, are representative of the LGBT community.
Most of the gay dudes I met IRL were chill as fuck, not at all like the gay people I saw on TV/in movies.

nush

I am literally dead, they are discussing the necessity of eliminating anonymous polls because enough people aren't getting banned just for voting the wrong way: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...-we-call-them-out-for-it.239539/post-38901862

4Y1iKQ6.png

Banshee Mcspook continues his reign of terror as the most perfect Ree troll, Red Murcurys game got taken hard. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mods will belive anything if it's what they want to hear. GG Banshee you glorious bastard!

Peterthumpa

No, as of a few hours ago I already post-dived him. he came back 6 times this year to post only in this topic and once in TLOU2 topic. Actually a lot of them make a B-line right for the TLOU2 topic as well. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
And as you can see I have no agenda at all.

I'm just stating the facts guys. You can hate Era as much as the next guy but it doesn't mean we need to be on the opposite side of everything they say.

benjipwns

Banned
This discourse about the dangers of anonymous polling has gotten me thinking. What is the 2020 presidential election but a bad faith poll? There's the hurtful option of "Donald J. Trump" (and "Jo Jorgenson" and "Howie Hawkins") that some people will just vote for and run rather than staying around to explain their bigotry. Will they be banned? No. This lack of consequences for harming minorities implies we shouldn’t allow such poll options to exist in the first place, it just allows a weight of indifference to dismiss the concerns of people who the question affects.

nush

He wouldn't let up either.

"Full disclosure, I actually liked your work back in the day"

What we have here is a prime example of SJW distraction. It's a new technique that has become popular in the last year once they realized that flying into a community with a full on SJW rhetoric will get called out. They do it here on GAF too and once you see it it becomes another way to easily identify them.

So they throw in a distraction line to appear to be giving a balanced opinion and criticism can be deflected by pointing to that distraction line. It's basically just a criticism shield.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

GloveSlap

As a straight white man (god, that sounds ERA as fuck lol) it would really interest me to discuss these issues with an IRL transperson tbh
Just don't believe hyper-sensitive ERA trannies, pissed off at life and full on meds, are representative of the LGBT community.
Most of the gay dudes I met IRL were chill as fuck, not at all like the gay people I saw on TV/in movies.
The sad part is that most of the people banned for transphobia over there were people that wanted to learn and were already on their side.

recma12

So they throw in a distraction line to appear to be giving a balanced opinion and criticism can be deflected by pointing to that distraction line. It's basically just a criticism shield.

Another tactic (you often see that on ERA) is starting out with a pretty specific accusation, like rapist, misogynist, racist.
When you can't prove shit, you throw out a wider net. "accused of sexualt assault", "problematic", "suspect history".
In this example, the Gamespot dude lowers the stakes to catch-all terms like "bro talk" and "microaggressions", so he can't be proven wrong.

Say what you will about Angry Joe (and his crew) but there's a reason that his shit is more/about-as succesful as decade-old "journalistic" outlets: They discuss games, like actual consumers do.

No average gamer uses artsy-fartsy terms like "tour de force" or some shit. Here is a snippet from the Gamespot review:
It's a devastating, gruesome story of revenge in which the purpose of violence gets muddied by its intensity. But as a character study, The Last of Us Part II is beautiful and haunting, and I found myself completely overwhelmed by the emotional weight of it.

Who the fuck talks like that about videogames? Fuck your "emotional weight" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No surprise that the "big outlets" are trying to cancel a guy who:
- actually plays the whole game (retail version) on stream at a realistic pace
- gives his honest opinion, explains how he ended up there and let's his buddies chime in
- focuses on the things gamers care about
- doesn't have to rely on provided review copies

Only natural that gamers rather rely on him that failed NY Times writers, that are dependent on publishers, have to finish the games in 3 days, play in secret and can only talk about parts of the games.

Last edited:
Since people on ERA are whining about the word female, why how and when became female a 'slur? Like what the actual hell?

Are there women who are honest to god actually offended to have female as pronoun?

'Othering us'?....?????

Last edited:

Scotty W

“I think there's a huge responsibility on all games, all types of media, to not rely on lazy stereotypes,” said Dr. Ben Colliver, a lecturer in criminology at Birmingham City University. “In the Grand Theft Auto series, a lot of the stereotypes to me seem to be there just for comedic effect. They're just there so that trans people and LGBT people more broadly are a joke.”

Find me something in GTA that’s not a joke, and I’ll show you a blue dog.

benjipwns

Banned
Since people on ERA are whining about the word female, why how and when became female a 'slur? Like what the actual hell?

Are there women who are honest to god actually offended to have female as pronoun?

The OP don't say anything on why it would be dehumanising or anything? Wouldnt feminist be a 'slur' as well since that word is sprung from female and not woman.

notseqi

Solution: Only have one voting option in polls

Was it the russian or the german democratic republic with the joke 'everbody on the ballot, but the pen is on a string and only reaches to the first party'?

Give several options but only make one clickable.

I call bullshit on this....the amount of mods on that site and the amount of logging that goes on for infractions I would find it hard to believe they left something that can’t show who voted out of the design

In saying that the site itself appears to be a patch job as there are groups activity finding holes in their security and some even have access to functions which could give them admin access if they wanted....would be pretty funny to see that.

Ah well yes it is always fun when the anti-facists wants to police what is allowed to be held as opinions.

Why don't you model your community after the NK juche ideology already? They pretty much already strive for that type of society.

cormack12

Gold Member
Looks lik they already logged it as a permission request:

However, anyone with a bit of backend knowhow and admin can doa few joins to get the data or just change the poll to public and back again:

However, what the fuck is that about? So they can review who voted 'wrong' and then ban them? WTF is wrong with these people.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Looks lik they already logged it as a permission request:

However, anyone with a bit of backend knowhow and admin can doa few joins to get the data or just change the poll to public and back again:

However, what the fuck is that about? So they can review who voted 'wrong' and then ban them? WTF is wrong with these people.

Never give a nerd power on the internet, it always goes wrong. They take it to new extremes though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have the opportunity and it was like with gay people, you heard some rough things, which you cannot as a straight white male repeat. Anyway I don't believe that true trans-people are some fucking snowflakes, because that journey is tough. But we also have a trans person in here, one of the nicest members. I am not sure if it's appropriate to tag her here tho.

benjipwns

Banned
Was it the russian or the german democratic republic with the joke 'everbody on the ballot, but the pen is on a string and only reaches to the first party'?

Give several options but only make one clickable.
Ah well yes it is always fun when the anti-facists wants to police what is allowed to be held as opinions.

Why don't you model your community after the NK juche ideology already? They pretty much already strive for that type of society.
This is full-blown fascism.

Small-scale, sure. But think what these people would do if they had a shred of actual political power.
In North Korea you actually can cast a ballot against the Kim regime. Ballots do come premarked so everyone can just put them in the box but you can request an unmarked ballot which you then have to fill out publicly in full view of everyone. Ironically, the regime is actually fairly lax about punishing people for doing this as they know the result will still be 99+% in favor and the votes against tend to be for petty personal reasons with the local candidates not actual anti-regime stuff.

They're at this point discussing a more restrictive system than North Korean "democracy" for polls on their video game forum.

nush

I call bullshit on this....the amount of mods on that site and the amount of logging that goes on for infractions I would find it hard to believe they left something that can’t show who voted out of the design

In saying that the site itself appears to be a patch job as there are groups activity finding holes in their security and some even have access to functions which could give them admin access if they wanted....would be pretty funny to see that.

DM'd.

DogofWar

This is full-blown fascism.

Small-scale, sure. But think what these people would do if they had a shred of actual political power.

No it's full blown communism/socialism. Like in the Soviet Republic, DDR and North Korea (imagine voting for the wrong one in North Korea, probably same consequences as if you vote wrong on ResetEra if these people were in charge). Only no real communist would ever whine about such non-issues as these wusses of course.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The main screechers in that site that post about women’s issues are not actually women

You will also probably find many of the so called black posters are probably also not black ...aka enzcom (think that was his name)

That's why I find it funny when they say the site isn't "safe for women". Almost all of the "females" are dudes. They ban almost all of the real women, especially the straight ones. What a fucked up group of mods.

It's just modified XenForo. If the default for the software is to not to include usernames/ID's to anonymous votes in the poll function within sql, that can be changed (my guess is it may still be able to be scrubbed from sql or some logs, there just isn't a front-end feature, but no one on Ree staff knows sql or basic web server shit, lets be honest). Two problems for Ree:

1. Since SweetNicole got an actual paying job and stopped being the admin they don't have anyone on staff with the knowledge to make the modification
2. What's his face who basically abandoned the site to his lapdog Dubs so he can sit back and earn the ad revenue in peace sure as hell isn't going to pay a contractor to do it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom