• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XVI IGN Interview Triggers ResetERA Into MADNESS (Diversity/Representation)

How excited are you for FF XVI coming Summer 2023 (answers represents 5% - 100% excitement)?

• Day 1 (100%)

Votes: 80 66.7%
  • Picking it up in Summer for sure (85%)

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Eventually will get it by end of 2023 (75%)

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Gonna wait for a deep sale (50%)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Will pray and port-beg for a PC version (25%)

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I'll just wait 'till it's in GamePass in 2039 (5%)

Votes: 13 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol @ resetera. Their argument is that it should have diversity despite setting because of magic and monsters?

Where was that logic when they were triggered over Kingdom Come when the devs gave the exact same answer? That game is a straight up medieval simulator with no fantasy elements. This proves that they really don't have any logic to their antagonism.

Anything that triggers resetera is a win for me.

Ghost of Tsushuma is racist because it only features Japanese races

/FACEPALM

It is mostly white people upset about this too.

That's almost always the case. Or pressing the question in weird places. Sometimes "minority handlers" are used to act as a voice for a certain group, but yeah.

And just for sake of clarity, it's a very specific type who usually make this stuff an issue and get upset: extremely far-left, so-called 'progressive' white liberals. In this instance, they are ironically pushing American Imperialism but are too blinded by stupid anger to realize it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lol @ resetera. Their argument is that it should have diversity despite setting because of magic and monsters?

Where was that logic when they were triggered over Kingdom Come when the devs gave the exact same answer? That game is a straight up medieval simulator with no fantasy elements. This proves that they really don't have any logic to their antagonism.

Anything that triggers resetera is a win for me.
Yep, really looking forward to enjoying hogwarts legacy on launch day and checking era to see the melt downs

Thebonehead

Banned
Reeeeeeee walking into the thread to be outraged.
Nyc Culture GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Reeeeee when they score a ban
furry party GIF

Saber

Gold Member
I think the first thing I notice is very much what OP posted.

Why the heck are you even considering using RetardEra as a reason for discussion(if theres is one? Them being outrage by everything everyday is worth discussion?). It's globaly know that theres no pleasing those guys, let alone having something that they actually like to begin with. You even put some silly poll choices for the sake of what exactly?

The second thing to note is that I really...really wonder why the fuck did they even let IGN interview them if they gonna throw cancerous and stupid questions like that. The producer of FXVI clearly is answering in good faith, despite IGN trying to trap him.

I think it reach a time where I'm 100% sure that game journalism needs some kind of regulation.

Last edited:

nikos

Gold Member
I don't give a fuck what color the characters are. It's Final Fantasy, so I'm going to buy it on day one and then again on PC.

Go_Ly_Dow

Or let the devs make the game games they want to make? I fucking HATE western media logic....."our way is the only way"

Is the same reason why some people got offended when find out Bayonetta wasn't "gay" as their head canon.
It's literal colonialism trying to enforce diversity on other cultures.

TLZ

Banned
I understand what you're saying OP.

But the bigger problem is giving such idiots a platform. They should be ignored and they'll vanish quick. But sadly that's not what's happening.

Fredrik

There's a difference between genuine representation, and artificial representation, though. Genuine representation CAN also include a character "looking like you" (though in reality just because I share a similar skin tone or ethnicity with a character doesn't mean they literally look like me at all), but that in itself is not the main basis for authenticity. It should, and has always, been down to how well-written a character is, what their expressed values and virtues are, their hobbies and interests, etc.

That's why I'm able to identify with so many characters who in fact may not "look like me", but embody aspects of who I am as an individual in one way or another. That includes characters of all colors (Steve Urkel, Goku, Blade, The Crow, Batman etc.), gender (Ripley, Linda Hamilton in T2, etc.), LGBT etc. That is authentic representation in my eyes.

I wish I could agree that places like ERA are irrelevant but when you have so many Western games media types proliferating there and dropping them by name in their own content, that in fact bolsters their presence online. Way too many gamin content creators name-drop ResetERA for rumors that don't even originate there 90% of the time, or gaming news in general, and that permeates with their audiences who will then...go to the forum and potentially get caught up in its BS.

So putting a spotlight on their horrendous takes every now and then is a good thing IMO.
I was there for a couple years. There are good people there too but you’re not allowed to think freely and most learn to stay quiet in certain discussions or filter every sentence until what they say isn’t even close to what they really think. Eventually there is no point having any discussions anymore because you can’t tell if you talk to a real person or just some fake alterego trying to survive the bans.

Brigandier

As a autistic, paranoid schizophrenic, non binary polyamorous vegan black they/them furry, I take great offense that SE once again and FF series once again fails with diversity, inclusion and sexism... How dare they make a game how they want we deserve to be listened to... Our voices like usual are suppressed....

Did I mention I was Vegan?

Elginer

That place is a cesspool of morons. Who gives a fuck what they think? They’re a loud minority crying like babies that in actual sales change nothing, they only for some inane reason make companies think they need to kiss their asses for sales. Time and time again has shown that’s not the case.

I always love the obnoxious American centric mentality of woke people. They are so "open minded" but seemingly can't comprehend that the entire world doesn't revolve around social issues and racial tension in america.
Imagine a Japanese publication invites over someone from Santa Monica to talk about GOW Ragnarok or from 343 to talk about Halo and they start pestering them about the lack of Ainu and Ryukyuan minority character in their games
Missed this post before but yup. This is it

Airbus Jr

Banned
Diversity is a USA political social problem, this is an eastern, Japanese specifically, game. Japan is a homogeneous country, you can’t put USA political social standards and criticism on a game development team with practically no experience with it. That’s unreasonable and unrealistic. They did nothing wrong, you’re just being overly sensitive and pushing your baggage on them.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Diversity is a USA political social problem, this is an eastern, Japanese specifically, game. Japan is a homogeneous country, you can’t put USA political social standards and criticism on a game development team with practically no experience with it. That’s unreasonable and unrealistic. They did nothing wrong, you’re just being overly sensitive and pushing your baggage on them.

Problem of the English language being so ubiquitous on the internet is that Americans think they represent the whole world.

It’s always funny hearing Americans talk about how there’s such a big difference between New York and Texas, but then refer to UK as Europe and pretend people in Japan face the same identity politics they do in the states.

Last edited:
I feel kinda bad for Yoshida that he tried to give a thoughtful and reasonable answer to this question.

This is one of those trap questions where any attempt to claim you’re not racist will just be used as further proof that you must be racist.
It's not the first time a western publication has tried to bait him with a question about race and/or skin color. In FFXIV, there's a popular catgirl who has gotten a little lighter skinned over time. When some website (I think it was Fanbyte?) asked why, he responded: "she had a tan and now she doesn't". Good enough, right? Nope! Still had people bitching about 'whitewashing' a fictional character that is a fictional race.

GametimeUK

I can't imagine anyone would want to be somebody's check box exercise to be included in a game. I think "inclusion" goes far beyond having characters included in a game based on physical traits alone. I'd rather the artistic integrity of the original vision makes sense and is kept in tact based on the world they wish to create and story they choose to tell.

If someone chooses to create a diverse cast then that's fine, but it's equally fine for a black cast, white cast, female cast, male cast or whatever you choose based on the world you create and story you tell.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't imagine anyone would want to be somebody's check box exercise to be included in a game. I think "inclusion" goes far beyond having characters included in a game based on physical traits alone. I'd rather the artistic integrity of the original vision makes sense and is kept in tact based on the world they wish to create and story they choose to tell.

If someone chooses to create a diverse cast then that's fine, but it's equally fine for a black cast, white cast, female cast, male cast or whatever you choose based on the world you create and story you tell.
you-ask-for-too-much-sato.gif

I can't stand these people, IRL or online. Well, nobody is that crazy in person, oh crap, I know of one, she is a university teacher too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom