• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Researchers develop technology producing water from air

cryptoadam

Banned

Researchers at Haifa’s Technion–Israel Institute of Technology say they have developed a standalone system capable of producing water from air, including in desert regions.

Described as the “first technology of its kind in the world,” the energy-efficient system aims to assist small and isolated communities far from freshwater and saltwater sources.

Unlike existing water-from-air technologies, based on cooling condensation techniques, the system is based on a two-stage cyclic process: first separating moisture from air by absorption using a highly-concentrated saline solution, and then separating the moisture by condensing the vapor under sub-atmospheric pressure conditions.

“Besides being energy efficient, the new technology offers an additional advantage: as part of the process the water undergoes also pollutant removal processes,” said Prof. David Broday, who developed the technology with Prof. Eran Friedler.

“Our technology turns water into a commodity as it enables water to be produced anywhere in the world, without being dependent upon existing sources of liquid water.”

Hope this tech is real, if Greta is correct we are going to need it in 11 years.

Yes, I also have a de-humidifier in my basement.

So future wars will be over air, not water.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
You can't turn air into water.

Air is made up of nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide and water that's vaporized. Water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen does not exist in the other elements of air.

Unless they are just going to extract water from air, but we do that already with condenser coils.

You stretch a tarp beneath four rocks, off the ground, put a stone in the middle and a cup under the stone, under the tarp. Condensation will run into the cup.

Also, you can drink your urine, and the liquid from squashed cow dung, according to Bear.

Last edited:

thief183

We were doing these kind of machines where I used to work about 5 years ago.... how come they now invented it?

Chromata

You can't turn air into water.

Air is made up of nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide and water that's vaporized. Water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen does not exist in the other elements of air.

Unless they are just going to extract water from air, but we do that already with condenser coils.

Yeah I'm confused what's actually new here, it sounds like the process is just more energy efficient than other similar machines.

Hydrogen does exist in our air though, it's just in very trace amounts which would make actual production of water from air unfeasible (among many other things).

Last edited:

GV82

We had these at work too years ago and then I read the bit that says it’s newer technology, so I guess that makes sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom