• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity Level Technology coming to consumers - Wireless Charging - up to 7 phones

Charge your phone through the air - while mobile. This advance is very exciting - will be amazing when used for Robotics.

Robotics Industrial Revolution here we go!

Will also be amazing news for anything you may want to charge (tablets, game consoles, electric vehicles)

Wireless charging on phones has finally started picking up pace in recent years, but all solutions are still tethered in some way or another.
Aiming to address that, Xiaomi has unveiled the new Mi Air Charge technology that can remotely charge your devices without cables or pads.

Xiaomi's new remote charging technology uses two core ways to be able to charge your phone from anywhere in the same room as its charging
base; space positioning and energy transmission.

The in-house developed charging tech has five phase interference antennas built in to accurately detect and latch onto a smartphone. Then, 144
antennas transmit concentrated millimetre waves directly to the phone to charge the device.

While Xiaomi has officially unveiled the Mi Air Charge, there's currently no details on when it'll be available or what devices will be compatible
with the tech. It's likely you'll need to have a specific smartphone to work with this technology when it is on sale.

The phone will have to be fitted with a similar but miniaturized system, consisting of a beacon antenna to broadcast positioning
information with low power consumption, and a receiving array of 14 antennas.

That will then convert the mmWave signal emitted by the charger into electrical energy through a technology called a rectifier circuit.

In its current form, the Mi Air Charge technology is capable of 5W remote charging over a distance of what Xiaomi says is
“several metres”. Interestingly, the company claims that the charging speed will not be affected by physical obstacles in the
line-of-sight or the number of devices being charged simultaneously.

Last edited:
I assume this technology will quickly mature and allow us to forgo plugging in all together, and make completely
wireless electronics/products a reality.

dr_octagon

Banned
8Ep0.gif

I've seen many inscern this technology has been available for years - however at the time it was unveiled they specified testing would be needed to ensure safety and the energy transfer was far less efficient. Considering we are pelted with radiowave signals every moment and every second, and the technology has been through the ringer as far safety is concerned I expect this technology is completely and utterly harmless during energy transfer. And as a Consumer Ready Product why wouldn't it be?

With that said the use case's are boundless. A technology with mass potential. Imagine once this matures, being able to carry a small device that does something similar to this, powered by solar or better yet molecular technologies - but instead of a device used for charging; it essentially allows you to supply energy to multiple devices.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don’t think I’ve ever not been on the side of “It’s obviously fine” but this concerns me. I’ll need some serious convincing to think something that could be powerful enough to charge multiple devices at high speeds wouldn’t have some sort of impact on something to do with the human body.

If I ever get a pacemaker I’ll be shook

Top Bottom