• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans' old Obama tweets come back to bite after Trump's 12th golfing trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

I swear, I am so tired of Presidents wasting my Goddamn money on all of their trips and outings not related to the job of the presidency...
From Bush flying back to his Texas ranch every 2 seconds to Obama and his packed golf schedule and several weeks at a time Hawaiian sojourns to now Trump in Florida every fucking weekend... It's so wasteful and it looks out of touch with the state of the country...

The White House is a nice place!
Why don't you stay there once and a while??

I'd vote for a new law that says for every personal trip the president takes, he/she has to pay for it out of their own pocket... And that means all of it. Like the expenses of the staff and secret service... Not just the jet fuel.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Most Presidents do deserve some vacations that do not involve the job of the presidency.. It's a stressful as fuck job

How about a budget?

I swear, I am so tired of Presidents wasting my Goddamn money on all of their trips and outings not related to the job of the presidency...
From Bush flying back to his Texas ranch every 2 seconds to Obama and his packed golf schedule and several weeks at a time Hawaiian sojourns to now Trump in Florida every fucking weekend... It's so wasteful and it looks out of touch with the state of the country...

I'd vote for a new law that says for every personal trip the president takes, he/she has to pay for it out of their own pocket... And that means all of it. Like the expenses of the staff and secret service... Not just the jet fuel.
Are you seriously equating Barack Obama with Donald Trump here?

JordanN

Banned
Most Presidents do deserve some vacations that do not involve the job of the presidency.. It's a stressful as fuck job

How about a budget?

In Trump's case though, he treats the job like a joke.

If he can't handle it, he was never qualified to begin with. No need to pay for his daycare service on top of it.

Nephtes

Are you seriously equating Barack Obama with Donald Trump here?

No.
I'm merely continuing the complaints I had of Bush constantly going back to his Texas ranch on my dime through to Obama and now Trump.

Different presidents. Same argument.
I've been pretty consistent on my complaints with how our presidents love to blow our money on personal travel when they're supposed to be doing the most important job in the world...

I mean, it's not like they didn't ask for the job...

I was too young to commentate on Reagan and Clinton's travels... But I found every president I've been of voting age for to take more trips than should be allowable.

I think 3 weeks per year is sufficient vacation time for anyone, much less the president.

Chumly

No.
I'm merely continuing the complaints I had of Bush constantly going back to his Texas ranch on my dime through to Obama and now Trump.

I've been pretty consistent on my complaints with how our presidents love to blow our money on personal travel when they're supposed to be doing the most important job in the world...

I was too young to commentate on Reagan and Clinton's travels... But I found every president I've been of voting age for to take more trips than should be allowable.

I think 3 weeks per year is sufficient vacation time for anyone, much less the president.
Are you a secret trump supporter?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Piss off with that false equivelancy bullshit.

Obama's trips cost taxpayers about $12m a year due to all the security involved.

Trump is at about $20 million in 2 months.

And that's before adding in the cost of his wife's permanent vacation in New York where Trump tower needs to be protected, which adds millions more to that total.

So fuck right off with that "But Obama..." shit. This isn't even in the same ballpark of comparisons.

I don't think Presidents should get any time off, personally. I think they should be required to work 23 hours a day, with the last hour being split up for a quick meal that needs to be paid for out of pocket, a power nap, time with family, and personal time.

Sanjuro

I don't think Presidents should get any time off, personally. I think they should be required to work 23 hours a day, with the last hour being split up for a quick meal that needs to be paid for out of pocket, a power nap, time with family, and personal time.

God forbid they have sex.

Nephtes

Are you a secret trump supporter?

No, I'm on of those magical "independent voters" your friends have told you about, but you never believed were real.

I have disdain for both parties...
And I never voted for the Orange Cheeto in Chief.
I'm rather offended you'd accuse me of such a reprehensible act.

Piss off with that false equivelancy bullshit.

Obama's trips cost taxpayers about $12m a year due to all the security involved.

Trump is at about $20 million in 2 months.

And that's before adding in the cost of his wife's permanent vacation in New York where Trump tower needs to be protected, which adds millions more to that total.

So fuck right off with that "But Obama..." shit. This isn't even in the same ballpark of comparisons.

Fuck you.
I went all the way back to Bush 2...For a good reason... I've been complaining about this topic since at least 2004.

I'm an equal opportunity complainer.
I will complain about Republicans...
I will complain about Democrats...

Shit... I'll even complain about you.

I don't care how much money is wasted by who.
I care when money is wasted.

Sanjuro

No, I'm on of those magical "independent voters" your friends have told you about, but you never believed were real.

Dab for Nader.

No.

Obama averaged 4 weeks of vacation a year. So you are here making an ass of yourself with the foolish false equivalency of his presidency vs. Trumps because he took one more week than what you would deem sufficient.

I think having the toughest damn job on the planet warrants more vacation than what someone with tenure at Wal-Mart receives.

Barack Obama took significantly less vacation time than Bush, and will likely end up far behind Trump as well. Mentioning him inbetween those two is only playing up the both sides rhetoric, which is tiring.

Edit:

Oh.

Nevermind.

You're one of those type of people:

I don't care who is worse. Trump and Clinton are both objectively awful people who I can't in good conscience vote for.

Chumly

Fuck you.
I went all the way back to Bush 2...For a good reason... I've been complaining about this topic since at least 2004.

O god. Your one of those holier than though independent voters!! Think your so smart because your criticize both sides!! I'm sorry but this is just embarrassing. Just because you think both sides are bad doesn't make your opinions any less stupid.

Mael

First term. If you get re-elected you get four weeks per year.

Nah, by the end of 1rst term you know the job so you need less vacations amirite?
So go from 3 weeks to 1 week.
The reason there's no 3rd term is that for the 3rd term you would need to pay 1 week of unvacation time.

Link

The Autumn Wind

You might want to go back and recheck what you remember.

FAKE EDIT -

Barack Obama took significantly less vacation time than Bush, and will likely end up far behind Trump as well. Mentioning him inbetween those two is only playing up the both sides rhetoric, which is tiring.

Edit:

Oh.

Nevermind.

You're one of those type of people:
Oh, nevermind. No point in even trying to talk sense with you. Yes, both sides are terrible. Now you can go back to not paying attention while being on your high horse.

You've already been dragged by other people ITT (and rightfully so) about other things in your posts, but this one really sticks out to me.

Why?

Why is it so important to you that people only have three weeks out of the year? Is it really so important to you to make sure that corporations squeeze as much work as possible out of their employees?

This is one of the strangest things I've heard on GAF OT. "I don't think people should have more time off!"

wandering

Banned

Fuck you.

Oh lord you're like a caricature.

Tommy DJ

You've already been dragged by other people ITT (and rightfully so) about other things in your posts, but this one really sticks out to me.

Why?

Why is it so important to you that people only have three weeks out of the year? Is it really so important to you to make sure that corporations squeeze as much work as possible out of their employees?

This is one of the strangest things I've heard on GAF OT. "I don't think people should have more time off!"

Its the old "stop being lazy and do your job" argument that ignores the fact that holidays are necessary so people don't get ground into the dirt. If you look at any recent president, literally all of them have aged considerably after 8 years because of how demanding the job is. This is even with the holidays they do take.

The fundamental problem with Trump golfing isn't that he's golfing. He can golf if he wants, in theory its a stressful job and people with considerable mental fatigue don't make sensible decisions. Its that he's doing it at his own privately owned resort (hence he's paying himself) and that this was something the Republicans once accused Obama of doing.

Nephtes

Oh lord you're like a caricature.

No one's called me "lord" before, but if you must, I'll allow it.
Honestly though, I'm more of a Saturday morning cartoon than a caricature...

Why?

Because we like having you at work.
We miss you when you're gone.

When you're not here, the work piles up, customers get angry, and general office moral goes down the tubes.

You brighten up every room with your presence, and for that, we need you at the office, on time, every day.

But seriously... Seriously...
I love taking vacations as much as the next person... But I dread them too...
I know everything usually falls apart and is in shambles by the time I return...

You might want to go back and recheck what you remember.

FAKE EDIT -

Oh, nevermind. No point in even trying to talk sense with you. Yes, both sides are terrible. Now you can go back to not paying attention while being on your high horse.

The highest horse... He's baked like all the time. :/
But my argument was not one of comparison between Trump and Obama and Bush. It's one of "wrong is wrong regardless of quantity".

Or maybe I'm just jealous that the president gets to galavant off to wherever the fuck whenever the fuck... (With my tax payer money.... And yours assuming you pay it, which being a good citizen, I'm sure you do).

Edit:

Oh.

Nevermind.

Been trying to end the 2 party system since 2004.
Not making any headwind it seems.

Kenstar

"Hope you enjoyed that fancy burger, Mr. President."

Fuck, I wanted to take an iron pipe to his crotch after that line. Pathetic leeches like him can't even stick to justified reasons to be critical of Obama. Surprised there isn't a segment about how Obama "steals" oxygen from Americans due to his large lungs or some shit.

"His big african lungs breathin up all tha white mans air for his twitch muscle fibers"
uncle_ruckus.jpg

Tommy DJ

Because we like having you at work.
We miss you when you're gone.

When you're not here, the work piles up, customers get angry, and general office moral goes down the tubes.

You brighten up every room with your presence, and for that, we need you at the office, on time, every day.

But seriously... Seriously...
I know everything usually falls apart and is in shambles by the time I return...

Perhaps because I'm from Australia, the only workplaces I've been at where that's an actual issue are actually bad workplaces. If you leaving for a holiday resulted in the near collapsed of your office, the office you work at was already poorly/under staffed, had too many inadequate or unmotivated workers and had poor management overall. Which then you should probably find a new job, which shouldn't be hard if the firm is so reliant on you.

I work in land administration and the only places where someone taking a holiday is dangerous were already terrible places to work at in the first place.

Assuming the President is competent in the first place, taking a few weeks off wouldn't result in the complete collapse of government. Because they have staff that understand his agenda and legitimately are willing to put in the work to enact his and his party's agenda. People like Paul Ryan or Nancy Pelosi don't do their job for money because they can get better paying jobs in the private sector without too much difficulty.

Mael

Perhaps because I'm from Australia, the only workplaces I've been at where that's an actual issue are actually bad workplaces. If you leaving for a holiday resulted in the near collapsed of your office, the office you work at was already poorly/under staffed, had too many inadequate or unmotivated workers and had poor management overall. Which then you should probably find a new job, which shouldn't be hard if the firm is so reliant on you.

I work in land administration and the only places where someone taking a holiday is dangerous were already terrible places to work at in the first place.

Assuming the President is competent in the first place, taking a few weeks off wouldn't result in the complete collapse of government. Because they have staff that understand his agenda and legitimately are willing to put in the work to enact his and his party's agenda.
Wait, so you're saying that for the good of everyone the orange should be on indefinite vacation?

Nephtes

Perhaps because I'm from Australia, the only workplaces I've been at where that's an actual issue are actually bad workplaces. If you leaving for a holiday results in the collapse of the office, the office was already poorly/under staffed, has too many inadequate or unmotivated works and has poor management overall. Which then you should probably find a new job, which shouldn't be hard if the firm is so reliant on you.

I work for a small business in the healthcare field... I actually helped implement Obamacare if that can be believed (what with everyone here apparently suggesting I hate the former president [I don't]). Anyway, it's always all hands on deck over here all the time... and you're probably right, we're understaffed... But that's the software making business. It was true when I made videogames, it's true making healthcare software... if you're not making new features and selling new software, you might as well pack up shop.

Assuming the President is competent in the first place, taking a few weeks off wouldn't result in the complete collapse of government. Because they have staff that understand his agenda and legitimately are willing to put in the work to enact his and his party's agenda.

I don't think anyone would argue the current president has anything about him that resembles competency....

I bet you go to work when you're sick too, because otherwise everything would go to hell without your guiding hand. Everyone looooves that person.

Assuming the President is competent in the first place, taking a few weeks off wouldn't result in the complete collapse of government. Because they have staff that understand his agenda and legitimately are willing to put in the work to enact his and his party's agenda. People like Paul Ryan or Nancy Pelosi don't do their job for money because they can get better paying jobs in the private sector without too much difficulty.

You have to understand that many Americans put corporate/companies before employee rights by a large margin. They'll complain stagnant wages then in the same breath balk at the idea of companies increasing wages. They'll simply suggest that working 60hrs+ a week is a good thing (or they'll get bored) and that calling in sick is just selfish (while again at the same time complaining about healthcare in this country). My favorite is the people who feel guilty for taking a sick day or actually using their vacation (and holding grudges against their coworkers who do).

Presidents need protection and can't exactly fly economy with their bodyguards but they also can't afford renting a jet every time with their own money - not for just their family nevermind Secret Service. Trump would tell you he could but we know he couldn't.

The number of trips I'm sure could be reduced but I'm not too hung up on it. I want the President to do his fucking job like a rational, ethical, sympathetic, progressive human being. Then they can take their trips. Orange, babbling man-child isn't even close and he's taking more trips than everyone, which is absolutely a fucking problem.

Tommy DJ

I don't think anyone would argue the current president has anything about him that resembles competency....

The problem isn't really Trump. We can have lame duck Presidents because the Vice President and relevant cabinet members can normally do the work for him. He's the most powerful man in the world but he doesn't do the job himself. Not even close.

The real serious problem with Trump isn't that he's constantly away from the Whitehouse. Instead, the real problem is that the Republicans are too incompetent at actually governing. Refer to the recent failed health care bill despite screaming REPEAL AND REPLACE in unison for the entirety of ACA's existence.

Again, Trump taking a holiday is irrelevant. Him being in the Whitehouse and him being out of it results in no real difference because the Republican Party right now is trash. In fact, it might be better for US foreign relations if he stays golfing indefinitely because the Republicans will still be incompetent at governing but they won't be trying to start trade wars and handing people 300 billion dollar NATO invoices.

Nephtes

Nephtes must be fun at parties.

Pfff.. invite me to a party and find out.
I'll bring beer or scotch, your choice.

No politics though. I don't talk politics in social settings, just on the internet...

Why would nephtes be at a party? They are a waste of money.

Because... New Orleans.
It's a New Orleans thing.
There's never a wrong reason for a party...

Shit, have you seen our funerals?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAH-lE71wE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt_pOf1QHDY

Xe4

Banned
No.

Ok, you do realize that Obama took like 4 weeks a year. Seriously (218/8/7) = 3.75. So it's not like Obama is taking far over your recommended limit. And that's with the most stressful job in the world, one that would probably make someone like you and me go to bed stressed as hell every night.

I have no problems with this, or the amount Bush spent, or Clinton. However Trump has spent 1 in 3 days vacationing on a Trump property, usually at Mar a Lago where taxpayer dollars would almost entirely go into the pockets of his companies.

Grumble about all presidents going on vacation if you will, but let's not pretend that previous presidents are similar at all to Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom