• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

TLZ

Banned

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Dude, I can’t figure this out either. I understand Sony doesn’t like to straight up buy publishers and all that, it’s not really their thing.
Hard to have a thing you can't afford.

If they could they would.

It's business. They bought Bungie because they could afford it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Where are the games? Nothing came out of it besides the ones we already know. It was all BS.

Close the thread.

Besides the ones we already know ? The ones we already know like most of Square's output and Bethesda's last few games and exclusive content for CoD, Hogwarts, Calisto Protocl are just some of what came out of this.

You know this, don't be obtuse please. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

xHunter

Besides the ones we already know ? The ones we already know like most of Square's output and Bethesda's last few games and exclusive content for CoD, Hogwarts, Calisto Protocl are just some of what came out of this.

You know this, don't be obtuse please. :pie_thinking:
Only FF applies to what he said though.

This is his direct quote:

There are things you will be shocked to find out that Sony is moneyhatting. They are locking up for timed exclusivity of like "wow, that is a game you are choosing?" Not because it's bad, because it's huge. So I am interested to see where this conversation is going to be in a couple of months because there are games that are widely accepted as multiplatform that Sony is locking up for a little while. So I would not be shocked if they did something insane like that.
timestamped:

So he said we would know in the coming months about huge multiplatform games getting locked up for a certain time on the Playstation platform. He said that in August 2020, its been over 2 years now. Which multiplatform games did Sony buy exclusivity for?

The games he mentioned had to be existing IPs, already mutliplatform and huge games.

Last edited:

timestamped:

So he said we would know in the coming months about huge multiplatform games getting locked up for a certain time on the Playstation platform. He said that in August 2020, its been over 2 years now. Which multiplatform games did Sony buy exclusivity for?

The games he mentioned had to be existing IPs, already mutliplatform and huge games.

Lol exactly. Which huge multiplatform games got locked to playstation apart from final fantasy? Which wasn't a surprise to anyone. Guys full of shit and started this baseless rumour about sony with zero evidence to his claims. Now its proven to be pure bullshit.

Last edited:

adamsapple

timestamped:

This is the quote from the OP, I haven't watched the whole video so I dont know the time stamp:

There isn’t a major third party out there Sony failed to approach asking what kind of deals they could work out. Some had content, some had games, some had content and games.

This is broadly encompassing games, content and/or both.

And even based either on that or the quote you've posted, it applies to more than only FF. Forspoken, the two Bethesda games, annual timed modes and characters in the CoD games, a whole year long timed exclusive mission/store/content in Hogwarts, games like Stray, Sifu, Kena, Bugsnax, that Oddworlds game which are/were exclusive for a year etc. Are all of them necessarily 100 million AAA games ? No, but the original point of Sony reaching out to a lot of devs/pubs for timed exclusive content still remains true.

There's a looooot more examples than just Final Fantasy since 2020 that cover this. I'm not sure how we can just boil it down to one game/franchise only.

Last edited:

xHunter

This is the quote from the OP, I haven't watched the whole video so I dont know the time stamp:

This is broadly encompassing games, content and/or both.

And even based either on that or the quote you've posted, it applies to more than only FF. Forspoken, the two Bethesda games, annual timed modes and characters in the CoD games, a whole year long timed exclusive mission/store/content in Hogwarts, games like Stray, Sifu, Kena, Bugsnax, that Oddworlds game which are/were exclusive for a year etc. Are all of them necessarily 100 million AAA games ? No, but the original point of Sony reaching out to a lot of devs/pubs for timed exclusive content still remains true.

There's a looooot more examples than just Final Fantasy since 2020 that cover this. I'm not sure how we can just boil it down to one game/franchise only.
The report is literally about this video and the quote. You should check the sources before you spew bs.

If you check the source you will find the REE thread where he posted the quote in the OP. The thread itself is literally about the video i posted. Its even the same timestamp

Again, i will remind you of what he said:
- former multiplatform game -> no new IP
- huge game
- game locked up on PS

Forspoken - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Bethesda games - new IPs, doesnt apply to what he said
CoD game modes/skin - again, not a game. I can give you the gamemode but that is already reaching to the max
Hogwarts - not a game. A single quest is not a "huge multiplatform game going exclusive for a while"
Stray - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Sifu - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Kena - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Bugsnax - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Oddworld - not a huge title, so doesnt apply to what he said (but if it makes you feel better you can have that one)

Since you are saying there is more than FF, please list all the huge games Sony moneyhatted that were former multiplaform games.

Edit: coming out after he said it of course.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The report is literally about this video and the quote. You should check the sources before you spew bs.

If you check the source you will find the REE thread where he posted the quote in the OP. The thread itself is literally about the video i posted. Its even the same timestamp

Again, i will remind you of what he said:
- former multiplatform game -> no new IP
- huge game
- game locked up on PS

Forspoken - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Bethesda games - new IPs, doesnt apply to what he said
CoD game modes/skin - again, not a game. I can give you the gamemode but that is already reaching to the max
Hogwarts - not a game. A single quest is not a "huge multiplatform game going exclusive for a while"
Stray - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Sifu - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Kena - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Bugsnax - new IP so doesnt apply to what he said
Oddworld - not a huge title, so doesnt apply to what he said (but if it makes you feel better you can have that one)

Since you are saying there is more than FF, please list all the huge games Sony moneyhatted that were former multiplaform games.

You're very disingenuously using half the source, ignoring the direct comment made by the same person on the RE forums and dismissing just about everything as new IP.

The direct quote from the video time stamp you added:

"There are things you will be shocked to find out Sony is money hatting that they are locking up for timed exclusivity like wow that is the game you're locking up, not because it's bad but because it's huge".

And the RE quote is from the same person that's in the video, so it's just as relevant. When he talks about games and content or both, all the things like Hogwarts stuff and the CoD exclusive modes stuff comes in there as well.

But yes. Echoing what Matt said. There isn't a major third party out there Sony failed to approach asking what kind of deals they could work out. Some had content, some had games, some had content and games. It is not like Microsoft was not willing to offer, they just didn't want to pay the asking price, because Sony approached with pretty high numbers in the first place.

I'm finding it equally hilarious and surprising how easily you're handwaving so much. Imran talked about content, we've seen examples of that. Imran called about major publisher, we've seen multiple examples of games locked down from Square, Bethesda etc which are major publishers. Imran said they've contacted just about everyone, and we've seen a lot of companies make timed exclusive content.

Like, how can anyone say that nothing from the article came true.

xHunter

You're very disingenuously using half the source, ignoring the direct comment made by the same person on the RE forums and dismissing just about everything as new IP.

The direct quote from the video time stamp you added:

"There are things you will be shocked to find out Sony is money hatting that they are locking up for timed exclusivity like wow that is the game you're locking up, not because it's bad but because it's huge".

And the RE quote is from the same person that's in the video, so it's just as relevant. When he talks about games and content or both, all the things like Hogwarts stuff and the CoD exclusive modes stuff comes in there as well.

I'm finding it equally hilarious and surprising how easily you're handwaving so much. Imran talked about content, we've seen examples of that. Imran called about major publisher, we've seen multiple examples of games locked down from Square, Bethesda etc which are major publishers. Imran said they've contacted just about everyone, and we've seen a lot of companies make timed exclusive content.

Like, how can anyone say that nothing from the article came true.
And you are not using half the source? You didnt even bother to check the source in the first place. You came in here and started to ingore the fact the whole thread on REE was started on the basis of his quote about some huge multiplatform games going exclusive. The post i quoted from you was an answer to a user that asked for games which you clearly are not able to answer, since that part of his "insider knowledge" was false. Thats why i dont give a shit about some dungeon or a camo.

Anyone that has been part of this industry knows that none of the "exclusive quest" or "exclusive gun" matters in the long run. It didnt when Xbox got the FIFA Ultimate Team Legend cards for 4 years and it wont now. Thats why i am not fixating on this part of his posts.

I have seen you use the argument though in the past. But we all know why you do this.

adamsapple

And you are not using half the source? You didnt even bother to check the source in the first place. You came in here and started to ingore the fact the whole thread on REE was started on the basis of his quote about some huge multiplatform games going exclusive. The post i quoted from you was an answer to a user that asked for games which you clearly are not able to answer, since that part of his "insider knowledge" was false. Thats why i dont give a shit about some dungeon or a camo.

No, I'm using both of the sources, the video and his comments, where he's stated very plainly that it's for games, content and/or both.

And there have been numerous examples of that already. I don't intend to start a list war but we both know this is true.

Anyone that has been part of this industry knows that none of the "exclusive quest" or "exclusive gun" matters in the long run. It didnt when Xbox got the FIFA Ultimate Team Legend cards for 4 years and it wont now. Thats why i am not fixating on this part of his posts.

That is your prerogative. But it is a part of his statements which this topic was made for.

I have seen you use the argument though in the past. But we all know why you do this.

ok

People that bump old threads to console war should face the same fate as OP.

Agreed :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jim Ryan reminds me of an 80's stand up comedian from the glory years of British light entertainment television, since his corporate makeover. There's a bit of Cheggers in there, a smattering of Stu Francis and a soupcon of Dustin Gee....
...and anyone under the age of 40 and not from the UK won't have any fucking idea who or what I'm talking about.

If the pound was not in such a state this post would earn GOLD from me.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No, I'm using both of the sources, the video and his comments, where he's stated very plainly that it's for games, content and/or both.

And there have been numerous examples of that already. I don't intend to start a list war but we both know this is true.

That is your prerogative. But it is a part of his statements which this topic was made for.
Do you really think Imran was talking about that quest in Harry Potter? What a reach. Yes the gaming world was shook by that announcement 🤣

or even a mode for COD (isn't that deal from last gen anyway?!)

You keep mentioning stuff like Kena and Sifu. Do I need to post the list of MS moneyhats again with Tunic, Scorn, Darktide etc. It's the exact same situation don't be an hypocrite.

It usually works out cheaper for Sony as it costs them a lot less for a 3rd party to forgo historically lower Xbox install bases versus a 3rd party giving up PlayStation which at its worst has always hit 85 million units and is stronger worldwide.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
In his moneyhat world tour Jim Ryan went straight to the Kena devs. An unknown 5 people studio. Imran was shook to his core back in 2020 😅
It usually works out cheaper for Sony as it costs them a lot less for a 3rd party to forgo historically lower Xbox install bases versus a 3rd party giving up PlayStation which at its worst has always hit 85 million units and is stronger worldwide.
It can't be that expensive because MS keeps doing it? The list of moneyhats they did this gen keeps growing 🤔

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yeah even PS+ will start moneyhatting and starving GP with literally the same amount of money due to having double the subscription count and more than double the console install base.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Money hats, money hats everywhere.

I'm at the point that I'm just expecting it from all sides and I'm honestly fine with it now.

Let Sony buy square, anyone really...hopefully not capcom...haha as I want sf6 on my xbox but the rest is all fine as long as everyone keeps bringing games to pc and steam lol.

adamsapple

Do you really think Imran was talking about that quest in Harry Potter? What a reach. Yes the gaming world was shook by that announcement 🤣

or even a mode for COD (isn't that deal from last gen anyway?!)

You keep mentioning stuff like Kena and Sifu. Do I need to post the list of MS moneyhats again with Tunic, Scorn, Darktide etc. It's the exact same situation don't be an hypocrite.

I'm more surprised you haven't posted that money that list yet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, why do some of y'all keep misrepresenting the quote, Imran very clearly said games, and content and/or both. Timed exclusive missions and modes fall into that category very neatly.

And in your list that you want to post so bad, how many of those games are third party timed exclusives the caliber of Square and Bethesda's AAA games that were/are exclusive, timed or otherwise ?

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm more surprised you haven't posted that money that list yet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, why do some of y'all keep misrepresenting the quote, Imran very clearly said games, and content and/or both. Timed exclusive missions and modes fall into that category very neatly.

And in your list that you want to post so bad, how many of those games are third party timed exclusives the caliber of Square and Bethesda's AAA games that were/are exclusive, timed or otherwise ?
Stalker, Crossfire X, Warhammer, Ark 2, High on life, is on that caliber.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Then by that definition MS also went on a moneyhat world tour with all these games I have on my list here 😛

They used the exact same strategy to get that Xbox Advantage too and I don't see you criticize them.
Deathloop and Ghostwire were Day 1 on PC and they had flop written all over it. Be mad at Bethesda for making that deal. It's now on GP and PS Plus so that deal was good for everybody but keep using it for war 🙄

About FF, historically the mainlines games were always exclusive to Nintendo or Sony (one or the other). That's just how Square does it (Atlus did the same for their series SMT Nintendo, Persona Playstation). They port it later when they get cheques. Be mad at Square if you want but they always did that with all their games (live a live, Harvestella, Bravely Default exclusive to Nintendo etc)

They made an exception for FF13 because of a huge moneyhat from MS (and you hate those).

Final Fantasy was never on Sega I wonder if you guys are still mad at Nintendo about that?

Last edited:

adamsapple

That deathloop timed exclusive was a real megaton. MS had to buy the whole company to restore balance.

Even if you say that in jest, it's not too far from the truth. Deathloop, Ghostwire and even Starfield was being propped for a timed exclusivity.

Sure, Sony wasn't buying those studios outright but they were bleeding MS (as someone else said elsewhere) with making so many timed exclusivity deals that made their platform irresistible to players who want to play those big third party games.

Tripolygon

Banned
Stalker, Crossfire X, Warhammer, Ark2 and High on Life are the caliber of FFVII REmake, FF16, Deathloop ?

Sure, If you think that they are, I won't say otherwise.
Yes, they are. I would even say the budget for Ark 2 is probably bigger than FFVII REmake and FF 16 combined, Vin Diesel can't come cheap lol.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Sure, Sony wasn't buying those studios outright but they were bleeding MS (as someone else said elsewhere) with making so many timed exclusivity deals that made their platform irresistible to players who want to play those big third party games.
And yet you keep resisting. I'm glad you admit GP is not that irresistible to the average customer, even flops like Deathloop was enough to sway them to PS5. Also none of the dozens of MS time deals move the needle at all. Zero. Damn must be hard for you to admit.

Buy a PS5 and stop hurting ❤

Top Bottom