• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

ruvikx

Banned
I have a problem with MS, I don't like them, before xbox being a thing. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Plus, I would welcome a healthy competition like early Xbox 360, not gamepass and dragging games down to share those $1-10 per month among 100+ games.

If they're not going to Gamepass, I can see them be huge success. Honestly, I think this GamePass will be Bethesda's grave: Not getting enough budget, not getting enough time to produce a massive game, then not getting the money they deserve from solo sales but share the money with other fillers.

I still know what MS is, and that Xbox One DRM and all the BS was the plan, and will come again in another shape if they "sniff" success.

I bet you loved the days when people bought used ps1, ps2 & ps3 games once those titles were passed their first few months. Now gamepass allows devs & publishers to profit from their titles years after release, but let's pretend Sony allowed devs to make beaucoup moneys forever & used sales (from which devs made zero money) were never a thing on Sony consoles?

Jesus Christ, some perspective people.

Alebrije

you are aware that Sony bought most if their studios too right? people seem to forget this because it didn't happen this gen.
True but most of current great IPs were developed while being part of Sony not before. Microsoft instead just bought a buch of nice IPs with Bethesda. Not saying its bad or good just a different approach to get exusives.

They main adventaje at this moment its that Sony's IPs are far more better than Microsofts , you do not have something that can compete with God of War ,TLOU2, Ratchet , Uncharted or even new IPs like Bloodborne, Horizont, GOT, Spiderman, etc.

Microsoft need to get something new from Bethesda and other studios because just releasing a Fallout 5 exclusive to X box X wont move much users to they ecosystem and will hurt more the game since will lose all the PS5 market.

Yep they have Bethesda and a bunch of studios but honestly still do not have games............that can compete vs Sony's IPs or even Nintendo ones.

That is how Nintendo do not give a fuck about cloud gaming or top hardware, if you have great exclusives there always will be a market for you.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
How people aren't seeing the big picture for Sony right now is beyond me. Microsoft, Google and Amazon are legit juggernauts with the capital to starve Sony out, if all 3 companies begin buying up publishers. Sony just doesn't have the muscle to pull a move like the one with Bethesda. That's not hard to see if you look at the kind of deals they usually go for. If they could acquire an entire publishing arm, they would have. Instead its been a bunch of temp exclusivity deals. Game streaming is going to take off this gen, too.

They can't even begin to play in that arena. Sony will do well this gen but for sure, but things have changed substantially, even with just Microsoft buying up Bethesda. That changed the game completely in one bold move. Things definitely got real interesting.

Yes! When Phil spoke about console wars were over. Forumers took that as a clueless remark

Internally, Phil is preparing for the future battles in capital spendings and cloud infra. Sony is not even in their sights now.

MS, Google, Amazon, Apple, Tencent and Alibaba

I expect Sony and Nintendo to go third party and put their games on these subscription services, in a decade.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Yes! When Phil spoke about console wars were over. Forumers took that as a clueless remark

Internally, Phil is preparing for the future battles in capital spendings and cloud infra. Sony is not even in their sights now.

I expect Sony and Nintendo to go third party and put their games on these subscription services, in a decade.

I actually think Gamepass on the Switch is a good fit for both Microsoft and Nintendo. Once that happens, I don't like Sony's prospects moving forward. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft would make the deal financially impossible to ignore for Nintendo.

longdi

Banned
I actually think Gamepass on the Switch is a good fit for both Microsoft and Nintendo. Once that happens, I don't like Sony's prospects moving forward. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft would make the deal financially impossible to ignore for Nintendo.

That would be GP-xCloud. Similarly, MS can offer Zenimax games to PS5 gamers, as long as Sony allows to install the GP app on their system . So PS5 gamers, if you want more games, you know who to bug! :messenger_winking_tongue:

This is the advantage that MS has over the other giants of the cloud.

Phil have GP-local download to your Xbox/PC for the highest quality gameplay.
Phil also have GP-xCloud where you can stream anywhere.

Of course with 23 dev teams already onboard, MS is way ahead of the rest. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Microsoft and Nintendo, I can see coming together in some way. Once Google, Amazon and Apple begin purchasing publishers, it'll be about survival for the smaller fish and they'll need to join forces with the other big boys for that.

Jonsoncao

Banned
I have a problem with MS, I don't like them, before xbox being a thing. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Plus, I would welcome a healthy competition like early Xbox 360, not gamepass and dragging games down to share those $1-10 per month among 100+ games.

If they're not going to Gamepass, I can see them be huge success. Honestly, I think this GamePass will be Bethesda's grave: Not getting enough budget, not getting enough time to produce a massive game, then not getting the money they deserve from solo sales but share the money with other fillers.

I still know what MS is, and that Xbox One DRM and all the BS was the plan, and will come again in another shape if they "sniff" success.
You seem to have a stance as a Sony spokesperson, not a gamer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You seem to have a stance as a Sony spokesperson, not a gamer.

FrayedPlasticIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

Had Microsoft kept developing 1st party in the early 2010s they would have not been in the situation that required buying 14 studios in 2+ years.

Instead they got distracted by Kinect, TV, Sports. They forgot that video games are the alpha & omega of why people get these consoles. Not apps, not TV, not gesture-based peripherals, not VR. Just great games.

I think the Mattrick regime got very arrogant. X360 was very successful and they had not up to 2013 experienced any real failure since launching in 2001. I know people cite RROD, but that's a hardware design flaw, not an ecosystem failure. 2013 was an ecosystem failure that took 5 years to start to address and is now about 50% resolved.

Last edited:

oldergamer

That would be GP-xCloud. Similarly, MS can offer Zenimax games to PS5 gamers, as long as Sony allows to install the GP app on their system . So PS5 gamers, if you want more games, you know who to bug! :messenger_winking_tongue:

This is the advantage that MS has over the other giants of the cloud.

Phil have GP-local download to your Xbox/PC for the highest quality gameplay.
Phil also have GP-xCloud where you can stream anywhere.

Of course with 23 dev teams already onboard, MS is way ahead of the rest. :messenger_bicep:
23 studios. They probably have at least 40 dev teams as many studios have more then one team.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Had Microsoft kept developing 1st party in the early 2010s they would have not been in the situation that required buying 14 studios in 2+ years.

Instead they got distracted by Kinect, TV, Sports. They forgot that video games are the alpha & omega of why people get these consoles. Not apps, not TV, not gesture-based peripherals, not VR. Just great games.

I think the Mattrick regime got very arrogant. X360 was very successful and they had not up to 2013 experienced any real failure since launching in 2001. I know people cite RROD, but that's a hardware design flaw, not an ecosystem failure. 2013 was an ecosystem failure that took 5 years to start to address and is now about 50% resolved.
Hard disgree here. Everything else aside from first party was in top shape. Thats your Live, controller, hardware, services like GP, stuff like that. All of this was in top form to begin with. Best in the business in my opinion. The only thing that needed to be fixed was the exclusives. With Bethesda and more on the way, thats no longer a concern.

duhmetree

I was surprised XBOX did not keep Call of Duty. I think that hurt them a lot more than they thought it would.

The annual best selling game went to Sony in 2015.

Unknown?

People keep talking timed exclusives like that's all Sony paid for but we know there are going to be permanent exclusives too and yes exclusive content.

Unknown?

Riiight. If Sony wasn't even in their sights now as competition then why aren't they releasing their games and gamepass on PS5?

If it's all about subscriptions and marketshare they would be multiplatform.

Sony's business model very much seems to be times exclusive-based when not leveraging their own exclusive games of course.

Seems to me that Microsoft fought back the only possible way by buying Studios to make exclusive content all the while using the resources at their disposal.

How anyone thought that something like this wasn't inevitable is beyond me. Sony just cannot compete with Microsoft in this regard. There will be other large acquisitions from Microsoft in the future as well. It's inevitable.

Sony has extreme pressure to not fail with their exclusives. One generation of games that fail to live up to standards could dramatically increase xbox market share as game pass keeps providing unavoidable value to casual gamers. Also, Sony has to do everything possible to keep xbox on the fringes in Asian markets. I feel as if Sony is playing a short term game that can't hold up in the future. Microsoft is correct in seeing Amazon, Google and Apple as the real competitors in this space. Microsoft doesn't really care about selling consoles, they care about services.

Hope I'm wrong though as having multiple consoles is awesome for choice!

This is something people need to truly understand. Right now, with MS seemingly giving more of their full backing behind the Xbox division (granted it's because they know this also benefits Azure, Windows/PC and their other services, but still), and companies like Amazon now getting serious (and we can't count out Google yet even though they've had an Atari Jaguar-sized flop so far with Stadia), the simple truth is Sony can't compete with these massive companies in the spending and financial resources arms race.

If they do, what'll happen to Sony will be the same thing that happened to SEGA in the mid '90s when they tried taking Sony head-on: failure. SEGA were a fraction of Sony's size at the time and did not have ownership of a lot of their tech the same way Sony did (nor did they have related divisions they could pull resources from and pass it along like a tax write-off), but they tried going tit-for-tat with them anyway. Which is why IMHO they missed an opportunity to double-down on a way of expanding on their niche (arcades and arcade gaming at home) in a fashion that'd integrate them 100% into a wholly unique offering where they wouldn't need compete head-on with Sony to still be successful.

Nintendo saw the writing on the wall even back then which is why they did a notable shift with the N64; it was still a powerful console but they focused on game types and genres they excelled at, focused on IP they had been established for years, and made sure their system had features (local 4-player multiplayer for example) that simply weren't possible on Sony or SEGA's systems without extra hardware. Then there's the Gameboy, which definitely provided them with a different type of identity than their competitors. Gamecube's relative failure in the market cemented Nintendo into the modern-day philosophy they have now, and I don't see that ever changing again.

Sony has to double-down on their strengths, and integrating them as tightly as possible. I'm talking across the board: where are the God of War movies at? Some PS5 apps/features that take advantage of your consumer electronics more directly? How about an anime series for Arc the Lad or something like that, tied into an Arc the Lad remake? Stuff like that.

This is where they have to dig deep and realize, sometime in the future, they may not have the 3rd-party advantage going forward, but that doesn't mean they have to suffer for it. They've got enough resources in IP, product divisions and various tech to solidify a future-proofed identity that can easily coexist with Nintendo, Microsoft, Amazon, Google etc. And, they still have a good bit of time to bring it all together; if these kind of massive buyouts keep course, I don't see it potentially really hurting PlayStation division until like 2023 - 2024 or something like that.

There's also something else I want to mention here since you bring it up: ironically, I think Microsoft would rather prefer Sony being around, versus them being a position where a Google or Amazon can take over. MS might want more marketshare, but I don't think they want to push Sony out of the console market as a platform holder. Same goes for Nintendo. They are likely much more comfortable with Sony and Nintendo than Google and Amazon ever getting massive traction, so there's an impetus for Microsoft to try working with Sony and Nintendo (which we can already see in stuff like Sony using Azure for PSN).

I think this is why, if push comes to shove, the option's on the table for Sony and Nintendo to consider letting Gamepass on their platforms, though it'd probably either be just for MS 1st-party, or some kind of industry-redefining system/standard of game streaming platform standard consortium, kind of like how the industry was forced to make the ESRB in 1994. They'd have to also agree upon how software royalty rates would work in such a system.

(Also this is kinda what Trip Hawkins wanted to do with 3DO back in the '90s but it was way too early and also didn't consider any consolidation for hardware costs of entry for other companies, hence why 3DOs were so expensive in the first place.)

Don't really know how that would work, honestly, without it seeming overbearing. At least at the moment. Another solution might be to provide the streaming platform as a technology licensable to all companies willing to pay a licensing fee, and then they can implement a compatible version of the service on their own devices and keep the revenue of software sales through their own version of the platform. However, the big benefit would be that all licensees get to legally access a global database of game software from 3rd-parties who opt-in (simply having companies like Google, Amazon, Apple etc. potentially use this platform would incentivize them to opt-in with no costs on those platform holders tbqh, and 3rd-parties would have to pay a recurring licensing fee; all licensees of the service platform would get an even slice of the recurring fee 3rd-parties pay to host their games on the platform database), and retain cloud streaming distribution of 75% of their 1st-party content exclusively. The other 25%? It'd have to be made available on the global network at some point (day-and-date, or 3-month stagger) for other partners to provide on their implementation of the service; choosing those specific games though can either be done at a publisher's discretion or done following some established guidelines.

Some exceptions to a bit of this for the founders of the platform standard of course, so basically Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Maybe some of the massive 3rd-parties like Rockstar, too. All partners collaborating together to iterate on global features and standards of the platform, similar to consortiums like JEDEC in the technology space.

...now I've probably gone off-course :pie_sfwt:

Orky

Banned
Does not matter to me, But are both Project Athia and FF16 timed exclusives or clear exclusives ?

its only timed exclusive of course.

Project Argus will come on PC at the same day as PS5 version and a Little later on Xbox.
FF XVI will come later to PC and Xbox.

still don’t know why they waste so much money on this. All they did were TIMED EXCLUSIVE. Who cares? The backlog is so huge anyways everyone can just wait and get the definitive edition later on their platform.
waste of money IMHO.

Last edited:

It's not a proper unsubstantiated gaming prediction without that one.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
its only timed exclusive of course.

Project Argus will come on PC at the same day as PS5 version and a Little later on Xbox.
FF XVI will come later to PC and Xbox.

still don’t know why they waste so much money on this. All they did were TIMED EXCLUSIVE. Who cares? The backlog is so huge anyways everyone can just wait and get the definitive edition later on their platform.
waste of money IMHO.

Do you know how much they paid?

Roni

Gold Member
Lol. Some sites would turn into "articles" whatever some dude says in a podcast to grab some desperate weekend clicks.

I guess it's hard to be a platform fanboy site. You have 75% less actual news to write about and have to resort to rumormongering and hearsay to keep the boat afloat. 😂

You've just described how 95% of fansites work. Not a lot someone can do about competing with any 24h attention seeking mechanism other than at some point resorting to fan writing.

Last edited:

bxrz

So looking at what they got from each publisher recently:

EA: Nothing
SE: Timed exclusivity for FF16, FF7R and Project Athtia (would love to know how much they spent for this lol)
Capcom: RE: 8 Demo
Take-Two: Nothing
Activision: CW exclusive mode (I think the horde mode? Or special ops. something like that)
Ubisoft: Nothing
Bethesda: Deathloop & Ghostwire Tokyo timed exclusivity

What else am I missing?

Last edited:

PuffyCan

So looking at what they got from each publisher recently:

EA: Nothing
SE: Timed exclusivity for FF16, FF7R and Project Athtia (would love to know how much they spent for this lol)
Capcom: RE: 8 Demo
Take-Two: Nothing
Activision: CW exclusive mode (I think the horde mode? Or special ops. something like that)
Ubisoft: Nothing

What else am I missing?
bethesda: 2 timed exclusive

BreakOut

Why not buy a few studios with this money?
Dude, I can’t figure this out either. I understand Sony doesn’t like to straight up buy publishers and all that, it’s not really their thing. But for real. Just buy square and Sega already. They want to keep persona on their system, and they don’t want to have to worry about it. They need to adapt and put out the money. They bought bungie, put some money where it actually matters. Bungie was never going to go exclusive with Microsoft (or anyone), but Sega and Microsoft are pretty close. Even persona is now multi plat. I don’t understand why they’re willing to pay out the ass for exclusive deals, but not just buy the damn studio or publisher.
Japanese business operates a bit different than in the west, there is a matter of respect, and even though it’s “kind of joked about” there really is a sense of pride (honor). So outright buying publishers I’m sure is different than just handing over some money. But in this aspect, it seems like Sony would actually have the advantage, considering it’s HomeCourt.
I really don’t like this whole industry consolidation crap, but if I’m being honest, I play on PlayStation. If someone is going to get exclusives clearly I would want it to be Sony. Seems the way the industry is going and it really is unfortunate because I think we’ve had it pretty good up until now. I don’t think publishers being owned by Console makers is a good decision at all.
The Incentive to make a good JRPG won’t exist if you own all the companies that can make them anyway. Death of Competition is the death of quality.

/rant

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude, I can’t figure this out either. I understand Sony doesn’t like to straight up buy publishers and all that, it’s not really their thing. But for real. Just buy square and Sega already. They want to keep persona on their system, and they don’t want to have to worry about it. They need to adapt and put out the money. They bought bungie, put some money where it actually matters. Bungie was never going to go exclusive with Microsoft (or anyone), but Sega and Microsoft are pretty close. Even persona is now multi plat. I don’t understand why they’re willing to pay out the ass for exclusive deals, but not just buy the damn studio or publisher.
Japanese business operates a bit different than in the west, there is a matter of respect, and even though it’s “kind of joked about” there really is a sense of pride (honor). So outright buying publishers I’m sure is different than just handing over some money. But in this aspect, it seems like Sony would actually have the advantage, considering it’s HomeCourt.
I really don’t like this whole industry consolidation crap, but if I’m being honest, I play on PlayStation. If someone is going to get exclusives clearly I would want it to be Sony. Seems the way the industry is going and it really is unfortunate because I think we’ve had it pretty good up until now. I don’t think publishers being owned by Console makers is a good decision at all.
The Incentive to make a good JRPG won’t exist if you own all the companies that can make them anyway. Death of Competition is the death of quality.

/rant
The could buy companies if they want. They bought Bungie for $3 billion. And all they do is basically Destiny. Someone posted a market valuation list earlier this year and UBI was $8 billion at the time and all the Japanese companies were less than that. The big ones like EA and T2 were around $20 billion I think so those are out of reach, but the Japanese ones arent. They could had tossed in an extra billion and gun for owning Sega, Namco or which ever other Japanese companies were close to Bungie. But they chose the one with the smallest game library, least amount of control (Bungie supposedly keeps their leadership team and choice of multiplatform development), and it's the studio with an all or nothing focus on MP GAAS. So with that, you can see Sony is aiming for GAAS model games vs. breadth of game franchises.

In 2018, Sony spent $2 billion to buy up the rest of EMI (music) so I think they now own all of EMI. And that's when they werent even making around $10 billion profit/year (was $12 billion a year ago). So they got the money to buy any game company they want except EA and T2 which are way higher in price and out of scope.

Top Bottom