• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

I know it’s an unacceptable solution, but due to my 2 PS4 base models, Slim and Pro being extremely loud, I’d already decided that the PS5 would go in an open backed cupboard so I can shut it away without ventilation problems.

Is this not an option for you?

Ooo that's a good idea. I have the option to do that as well. No idea if that will hurt the cooling though.

I think both my X1X and PS4 Pro have coil whine even my PC seems to have it. Although I can only hear it if I put my ears right up to the devices. They don't all sound the same but similarly enough that it's probably the same thing. Didn't know what it was until I watched all those videos.

What's even more funny about this is that you don't seem to talk about how your Series X completely broke in every single thread going here:

Glad to see you're finally doing something about the constant whining though :messenger_winking:
Why would I bring up my first XSX in a thread about PS5 coil whine dude? Yes my first XSX stopped working. It was not like my PS5 which works fine but buzzes all the time. The XSX was replaced in a week and life went on. I didn't even have to talk to anyone to get a replacement. I have to call Sony to get help and that is another reason I held off. Well that and the fact that most that ask for replacements don't resolve the problem. But hey PS5 is the bestest right?

Last edited:

skit_data

Mine has a faint high-frequency tone that i suspect is coming from the fan. Its barely audible from a few feet away and inaudible from my regular playing position.

The thing is its almost impossible to make any assesment on how prevalent the issue is due to everyone using different devices to capture the sound. Its also really hard to say anything about percentage of affected consoles because even <1% would result in at least 20-50k people, enough to give the impression of a very wide spread problem in social media.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine has a faint high-frequency tone that i suspect is coming from the fan. Its barely audible from a few feet away and inaudible from my regular playing position.

The thing is its almost impossible to make any assesment on how prevalent the issue is due to everyone using different devices to capture the sound. Its also really hard to say anything about percentage of affected consoles because even <1% would result in at least 20-50k people, enough to give the impression of a very wide spread problem in social media.

True but it's when multiple batches of PS5 all have issues that leads me to suspect that number is alot higher than 1%. But then again it could be regional sourcing of parts. So certain areas like the UK I'd say could whine could be as high as 50% and in parts of America say 1%. Its really hard to make any definitive statements either way. All I'll say is that from certain peoples experience here and my own and on YouTube certain batches are extremely likely to have coil whine depending on where you are based.

True but it's when multiple batches of PS5 all have issues that leads me to suspect that number is alot higher than 1%. But then again it could be regional sourcing of parts. So certain areas like the UK I'd say could whine could be as high as 50% and in parts of America say 1%. Its really hard to make any definitive statements either way. All I'll say is that from certain peoples experience here and my own and on YouTube certain batches are extremely likely to have coil whine depending on where you are based.

Do all yours have the same manufacturing date? People are saying that it's due to a bad PSU and it could be possible they were used in the launch units.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine is dead silent no matter what i play. Thats also after playing Demons Souls for over 3 hrs. At that point i can only hear a faint fan sound if i get right next to it and put my ear close to the console.

Makes me so happy when I hear this because after 3 units with it, it does make you question if they all have it.

The UK CSR I spoke to last week did say all staff have been briefed and shown coil whine in person so it must be a fairly large issue.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Do all yours have the same manufacturing date? People are saying that it's due to a bad PSU and it could be possible they were used in the launch units.

I'm not sure on the dates but I'm led to believe all replacement UK ones are from the same batch (hence why I'm so sceptical unit 4 will be any better). The CSR said they didn't even know themselves when the next lot were due in.

Last edited:

skit_data

Mine is dead silent no matter what i play. Thats also after playing Demons Souls for over 3 hrs. At that point i can only hear a faint fan sound if i get right next to it and put my ear close to the console.
One really strange thing i noticed was that when playing Demons Souls my console is really quiet, barely any difference from home screen. The wierd thing is i heard the fan rev up when my gf was playing Bugsnax :S

I'm not sure on the dates but I'm led to believe all replacement UK ones are from the same batch (hence why I'm so sceptical unit 4 will be any better). The CSR said they didn't even know themselves when the next lot were due in.

Some videos I've seen with Coil Whine are from the UK. Definitely a possibility that your country got a bad batch of units.

sloppyjoe_gamer sloppyjoe_gamer I hope your PS5s continues to work well for you. Hopefully you don't get the issue later on.

FrankWza

Why would I bring up my first XSX in a thread about PS5 coil whine dude? Yes my first XSX stopped working. It was not like my PS5 which works fine but buzzes all the time. The XSX was replaced in a week and life went on. I didn't even have to talk to anyone to get a replacement. I have to call Sony to get help and that is another reason I held off. Well that and the fact that most that ask for replacements don't resolve the problem. But hey PS5 is the bestest right?
You should not have to use headphones to overcome something that should not be an issue at all. Consumers should demand better for our money.

It might be as simple as MS actually cared about the issue and Sony was focused elsewhere.

Geez dude who said anything about 'garbage'. I just think Sony should do better. People attack MS all the time, some demand they leave the industry. Why can't people want a Sony console with a similar sound profile to the much hated Xbox?

I'll get another when they fix the issues. Xbox and MS are held accountable for every mistake big or small. Sony issues are accepted and excuses are made for them.

It's pretty clear that Hostile_18 Hostile_18 wants a PS5 he went through 3 systems to get one that doesn't have coil whine. He shouldn't have to go back to a PS4 he should get a PS5 that does not make the noise.

Not on this forum.

I'm just glad I don't have to prove what's in my home to fanboys. As I've said I'll return it when the stock is up and hopefully the issues are sorted out. I'm sorry less than stellar PS5 news gets you upset. As Hostile_18 Hostile_18 said it's not just an isolated issue and it's even more hilarious that people think it's some sort of Xbox conspiracy to hurt PlayStation.

I'm tolerating till the stock is up and I can easily get a replacement without giving up my noisy functioning system. I thought I mentioned that.

Neither of us are satisfied but he's willing to go without his console weeks at a time waiting for a replacement that might be worse. We just have different strategies. Yes I have a PS5 and a XSX too and I have compared the sound profiles.

I don't understand why you keep putting words in my mouth. I never said anyone was lying. It was the Sony fans questioning if I even had the console. One dude was demanding to see people's PSN ID(for the record check out DarkMage619 on the PSN). I simply said that I would not be surprised if every PS5 had some level of coil whine. Sony made no real effort to dampen the noise and that is shown on the teardowns.

Hostile_18 Hostile_18 posted:

This video shows a guy who went through FOUR PS5 consoles ALL had coil whine. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 is on his fourth system? Again ALL had coil whine. So either there is some sort of conspiracy or PS5s have coil whine. That's 8 systems plus mine and you think it's Xbox fans making up something to hurt Sony? Anyway since GHG GHG has been so awesome I'm going to take his advice and give Sony and call and see what they say. Sucks to give up a working console but it also sucks to have a working console distract from playing anything on it.

Only multi-console gamers have coil whine on their PS5s so all Sony only fan have silent PS5s.

I just went back 2 pages....

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think both my X1X and PS4 Pro have coil whine even my PC seems to have it. Although I can only hear it if I put my ears right up to the devices. They don't all sound the same but similarly enough that it's probably the same thing. Didn't know what it was until I watched all those videos.
Both of those consoles had Coil whine, PS4 Pro maybe more. So I am glad that at least MS fixed it with XSX. And yes my delicate hearing heard it anytime there were more quiet moment, with mainly PS4 Pro. With X1X I've heard that anytime I was in my Weekend house and played games on computer monitor with console being next to it. There was pretty uncomfortable for me. I guess, snoflakes like me, have tough time with things which does not bother rest of the world's population.

But nothing comes close to 8800GTS512 which I have when I was younger, GPU from hell...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
One really strange thing i noticed was that when playing Demons Souls my console is really quiet, barely any difference from home screen. The wierd thing is i heard the fan rev up when my gf was playing Bugsnax :S

I have played Bugsnax as well and havent heard anything and also platinumed Astros Playroom and nothing there either.

GHG

Gold Member

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Short term memory loss seems to be a problem with some people here. I guess if it doesn't support the narrative you're attempting to push its better to forget certain things.

If the guy was balanced you'd think he'd manage to slip in the fact that his launch Series X was also defective (more so in fact) but nope, he thinks he's being slick in trying to subtlety promote the Series X throughout the thread.

Hostile_18

Banned
Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Short term memory loss seems to be a problem with some people here. I guess if it doesn't support the narrative you're attempting to push its better to forget certain things.

If the guy was balanced you'd think he'd manage to slip in the fact that his launch Series X was also defective (more so in fact) but nope, he thinks he's being slick in trying to subtlety promote the Series X throughout the thread.

He said he had a 1 week turn around time and no issues since though compared to some people getting PS5 after PS5 with problems. Series X comparisons are relevant because the Series X does run significantly quieter *on average* IMO. For example earlier we had someone saying this kind of coil whine was normal/expected at this price point yet we could bring up the fact that the Series X at the same price point doesn't (from any kind of reasonable distance).

I don't think anyone would have a problem with PS5 coil whine if it was a one and done swap and the issue was sorted but that appears to be far from the case I wouldn't say the Series X has a trending fault that affects it anywhere near to the same level as the PS5. If you replace a Series X you can have a high degree of confidence your going to get a satisfactory unit in return. All points regarding this Microsoft should be commended on and Sony condemned.

Doesn't matter how big a Sony fan I am I don't mind admitting the competitions strengths and the shit show that has been my PS5 order. It's not a narrative its factual information based on my experience and observations about other users experiences on here.

GHG

Gold Member
He said he had a 1 week turn around time and no issues since though compared to some people getting PS5 after PS5 with problems. Series X comparisons are relevant because the Series X does run significantly quieter *on average* IMO. For example earlier we had someone saying this kind of coil whine was normal/expected at this price point yet we could bring up the fact that the Series X at the same price point doesn't (from any kind of reasonable distance).

I don't think anyone would have a problem with PS5 coil whine if it was a one and done swap and the issue was sorted but that appears to be far from the case I wouldn't say the Series X has a trending fault that affects it anywhere near to the same level as the PS5. If you replace a Series X you can have a high degree of confidence your going to get a satisfactory unit in return. All points regarding this Microsoft should be commended on and Sony condemned.

Doesn't matter how big a Sony fan I am I don't mind admitting the competitions strengths and the shit show that has been my PS5 order. It's not a narrative its factual information based on my experience and observations about other users experiences on here.

And what of those who have PS5's who have had no issues with noise at all?

Did the hardware reviews and other user impressions tell you to expect coil whine and noise or did you quickly realise that something isn't right with the units you're receiving?

By the way I paid less (I have a digital edition) and have absolutely zero coil whine across all of the games I've played on it (demon's souls, wrc9, borderlands 3, astrobot and some Horizon in BC).

The fact that it's people who are returning them who seem to repeatedly be receiving a unit with coil whine would suggest to me they have a QA/QC issue and they are simply recycling the returned units back around to different customers because they are not seeing the issue when testing (or their thresholds are too lenient). Considering the general supply constraints it really wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to see if you run into the same issue if you were to return/sell the unit and then buy a new one from retail when they are next available.

If he wants to constantly run around the forum moaning about his coil whine despite the fact that he's done nothing to try and rectify the issue then why didn't he also sit on his broken Series X and complain about that everywhere? I guarantee that if it was his PS5 that completely shit the bed then we would never hear the end of it. If you can't see the problem there then I can't help you.

Last edited:

FrankWza

He said he had a 1 week turn around time and no issues since though compared to some people getting PS5 after PS5 with problems. Series X comparisons are relevant because the Series X does run significantly quieter *on average* IMO.
But his x died and his comments about it were buried in a huge thread on another site. Here, he’s done nothing but complain over and over about an issue instead of doing something about and has not contributed one bit. He didn’t give any info other than his ps5 has coil whine. No fan or production info that could contribute in any way.
the Series X has a trending fault that affects it anywhere near to the same level as the PS5.
Ms has not sold close to as many consoles this gen. Also, they don’t ship units to all parts of the world equally. So any issues get more attention on Sonys side. Same thing happens when a new iPhone releases. It’s more popular and in more people hands.

FrankWza

I guarantee that if it was his PS5 that completely shit the bed then we would never hear the end of it. If you can't see the problem there then I can't help you.
I still say there’s no ps5. He posted his psn name somewhere to try and challenge the challenge.I bet his last game played is a PS4 game from 2016

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
And what of those who have PS5's who have had no issues with noise at all?

Did the hardware reviews and other user impressions tell you to expect coil whine and noise or did you quickly realise that something isn't right with the units you're receiving?

By the way I paid less (I have a digital edition) and have absolutely zero coil whine across all of the games I've played on it (demon's souls, wrc9, borderlands 3, astrobot and some Horizon in BC).

The fact that it's people who are returning them who seem to repeatedly be receiving a unit with coil whine would suggest to me they have a QA/QC issue and they are simply recycling the returned units back around to different customers because they are not seeing the issue when testing (or their thresholds are too lenient). Considering the general supply constraints it really wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to see if you run into the same issue if you were to return/sell the unit and then buy a new one from retail when they are next available.

If he wants to constantly run around the forum moaning about his coil whine despite the fact that he's done nothing to try and rectify the issue then why didn't he also sit on his broken Series X and complain about that everywhere? If you can't see the problem there then I can't help you.

I quickly realized something wasnt right with my first unit and then researched what it was that was making this awful noise, even in rest mode. I'm assured by Sony CS that it is brand new stock they are sending out (from the initial launch allocation). Having brand new serial numbers on them would hopefully bear this out. I couldn't see any indication they were other customers returns.

I'm more inclined to say its regional supply issues because you get videos like that youtube video I posted where a customers family has bought 4 units and all had coil whine (completely outside of any replacement program).

Well for the last point it's kind of what I posted on my last post. If you swap out a Series X you can be fairly confident in getting a good unit in return. Going down the road I have is a long and arduous route likely involving many swaps. For me personally I can fully understand the frustration because my way is shit, retailers can't replace so he has to grin and bear it. Ultimately it shouldn't be an issue for end users to have to deal with. Sony should receive criticism for it, whether it's something they have done in the regional sourcing of parts or the initial design of the thing while selling it as a super quiet console.

Imagine the gamer who only plays on one console and has to either put up with an annoying as fuck noise, give up their platform of choice or go for months without having a console.

Hostile_18

Banned
But his x died and his comments about it were buried in a huge thread on another site. Here, he’s done nothing but complain over and over about an issue instead of doing something about and has not contributed one bit. He didn’t give any info other than his ps5 has coil whine. No fan or production info that could contribute in any way.

Ms has not sold close to as many consoles this gen. Also, they don’t ship units to all parts of the world equally. So any issues get more attention on Sonys side. Same thing happens when a new iPhone releases. It’s more popular and in more people hands.

Well all I can say is A) anecdotally I've never seen such large scale successive problems (3-4 in a row isn't uncommon occurance). B) It doesn't matter how big the pool is the average faulty unit should be the same if it's in line with other console launches. 15% of users here have PS5 hardware issues as opposed to around 4% on previous gen launches.

Umbral

I have zero issues. I’m sorry you seem to be having them. Is it possible you’re just fixated on a normal sound that won’t go away no matter what? Electronics make noise. My PS4 Pro sounded like a rocket with some games, but I just took it as it was working hard.

I don’t know what coil whine is and probably don’t want to know.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have zero issues. I’m sorry you seem to be having them. Is it possible you’re just fixated on a normal sound that won’t go away no matter what? Electronics make noise. My PS4 Pro sounded like a rocket with some games, but I just took it as it was working hard.

I don’t know what coil whine is and probably don’t want to know.

I don't know I mean I have never had a problem with background fan noise (PS4,PRO etc were all fine). I just can't stand the hissing/buzzing noise of the PS5. I have no issues with the Series X noise levels at all (I can hear when it plays a disc that is all).

Ultimately I'm not sure it's something I can put up with if I'm forced to. The second a quiet scene comes on all you can here is that it ruins the moment your meant to be immersed in. I believe other users that there are quiet ones so that's what I'm hoping for.

drotahorror

No issues with noise at all. Beat Demons Souls, Spider-man MM, 30+ hours of Ghost of Tsushima, bit of Astro's Playroom. Really quiet. I had 2 freezes in Spider-man that I didn't like at all though.

GHG

Gold Member
I quickly realized something wasnt right with my first unit and then researched what it was that was making this awful noise, even in rest mode. I'm assured by Sony CS that it is brand new stock they are sending out (from the initial launch allocation). Having brand new serial numbers on them would hopefully bear this out. I couldn't see any indication they were other customers returns.

I'm more inclined to say its regional supply issues because you get videos like that youtube video I posted where a customers family has bought 4 units and all had coil whine (completely outside of any replacement program).

Well for the last point it's kind of what I posted on my last post. If you swap out a Series X you can be fairly confident in getting a good unit in return. Going down the road I have is a long and arduous route likely involving many swaps. For me personally I can fully understand the frustration because my way is shit, retailers can't replace so he has to grin and bear it. Ultimately it shouldn't be an issue for end users to have to deal with. Sony should receive criticism for it, whether it's something they have done in the regional sourcing of parts or the initial design of the thing while selling it as a super quiet console.

Imagine the gamer who only plays on one console and has to either put up with an annoying as fuck noise, give up their platform of choice or go for months without having a console.

So what you're suggesting is that because you've had a horrible experience with your returns then it means everyone else will have an identical experience? I'm sorry but I don't buy it. If I have a bad experience with a product then I'm going to try and get it solved ASAP with the manufacturer and I will wring their neck until I get a satisfactory outcome. No way am I going to sit on hardware that is noisy enough to cause me angst just because some guy in a forum has had a bad experience with his return(s).

He gave Microsoft the opportunity to put it right but yet he'd rather complain on here than allow Sony the opportunity to put it right? That doesn't make any sense to me unless he has some sort of agenda that means he'd rather have the opportunity to moan about his noisy PS5 rather than have it put right and actually enjoy the product he paid money for. This is all assuming he's actually being sincere by the way.

As for the speculation on why it's happened to you repeatedly you're right it could be a regional issue. But also don't underestimate the ability of large electronics companies to take returned units and make them appear brand new when they are in fact not 100% new.

Nobody should have to put up with noise especially not a noise that ruins the overall experience so hopefully you eventually get a unit you're happy with. If not then I don't see why you should put up with it so if it were me I'd just cut my losses and sell with the mindset of maybe rebuying at some point down the line.

FrankWza

Well all I can say is A) anecdotally I've never seen such large scale successive problems (3-4 in a row isn't uncommon occurance). B) It doesn't matter how big the pool is the average faulty unit should be the same if it's in line with other console launches. 15% of users here have PS5 hardware issues as opposed to around 4% on previous gen launches.
Well, there was rrod. Pretty large scale failure rate. Also, it’s not a console but the elite controller and elite controller 2 have a huge rate of return and faulty components. They just extended the warranty from 3 months to 12 months. It’s $180 controller. Where are you seeing this 15% vs 4% launch issues by the way?

Hostile_18

Banned
So what you're suggesting is that because you've had a horrible experience with your returns then it means everyone else will have an identical experience? I'm sorry but I don't buy it. If I have a bad experience with a product then I'm going to try and get it solved ASAP with the manufacturer and I will wring their neck until I get a satisfactory outcome. No way am I going to sit on hardware that is noisy enough to cause me angst just because some guy in a forum has had a bad experience with his return(s).

He gave Microsoft the opportunity to put it right but yet he'd rather complain on here than allow Sony the opportunity to put it right? That doesn't make any sense to me unless he has some sort of agenda that means he'd rather have the opportunity to moan about his noisy PS5 rather than have it put right and actually enjoy the product he paid money for. This is all assuming he's actually being sincere by the way.

As for the speculation on why it's happened to you repeatedly you're right it could be a regional issue. But also don't underestimate the ability of large electronics companies to take returned units and make them appear brand new when they are in fact not 100% new.

Nobody should have to put up with noise especially not a noise that ruins the overall experience so hopefully you eventually get a unit you're happy with. If not then I don't see why you should put up with it so if it were me I'd just cut my losses and sell with the mindset of maybe rebuying at some point down the line.

Oh no only a Sith deals in absolutes but the more units I get back defective in succession, the more videos i see on youtube the more likely I believe it won't be smooth sailing.

Yeah giving up is definitely an option but I have thousands tied to my account and sony exclusives are more often than not the pinnacle of gaming for me. It's hard to walk away when the sex is that good. 😊

Loope

Both of those consoles had Coil whine, PS4 Pro maybe more. So I am glad that at least MS fixed it with XSX. And yes my delicate hearing heard it anytime there were more quiet moment, with mainly PS4 Pro. With X1X I've heard that anytime I was in my Weekend house and played games on computer monitor with console being next to it. There was pretty uncomfortable for me. I guess, snoflakes like me, have tough time with things which does not bother rest of the world's population.

But nothing comes close to 8800GTS512 which I have when I was younger, GPU from hell...
To be honest i don't think i ever had a GPU that doesn't have coil whine.

My point was to talk about coil whine on PS5. My points were all in reference to coil whine on PS5. My XSX does not have coil whine but I guess you got me bro I'm guilty of being a multi-console gamer.

You're right I should give Sony the chance to make things right but just like their return policy for digital games you have to jump through hoops. The XSX return took 5 minutes to get a label printed out and it was shipped the next day. I have to talk to some one live with PS5 and it's more cumbersome. Sony is not the perfect company some believe it to be guys and it's not an attack on you to point it out.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Well, there was rrod. Pretty large scale failure rate. Also, it’s not a console but the elite controller and elite controller 2 have a huge rate of return and faulty components. They just extended the warranty from 3 months to 12 months. It’s $180 controller. Where are you seeing this 15% vs 4% launch issues by the way?

I fully agree about the elite 2 controller, it too in unacceptable. But at least a controller is just an accessory rather than an essential thing like the console itself.

It's the results of the Neogaf PS5 hardware thread. We had a repair technician in there who had around 4% failure rate of any new console back in the day. By any metric 15% is exceptionally high regardless.

FrankWza

I fully agree about the elite 2 controller, it too in unacceptable. But at least a controller is just an accessory rather than an essential thing like the console itself.

It's the results of the Neogaf PS5 hardware thread. We had a repair technician in there who had around 4% failure rate of any new console back in the day. By any metric 15% is exceptionally high regardless.
That thread is at 10% and it’s got 431 votes and it’s only 5 pages long which is odd. It’s not exactly scientific. With the popularity of the PS5 if there were 10% or especially 15% hardware issues, there would be articles picking up these issues by most major news sites. It’s not anywhere near 10%.

Hostile_18

Banned
That thread is at 10% and it’s got 431 votes and it’s only 5 pages long which is odd. It’s not exactly scientific. With the popularity of the PS5 if there were 10% or especially 15% hardware issues, there would be articles picking up these issues by most major news sites. It’s not anywhere near 10%.

You have to take away the "No PS5 no cry" votes and it goes to around 15%.

Well there has been a fair amount of media coverage. I don't think the red ring fiasco got loads of media coverage till a lot later on. Theres alot going on in the world at the moment.

GHG

Gold Member
You're right I should give Sony the chance to make things right but just like their return policy for digital games you have to jump through hoops. The XSX return took 5 minutes to get a label printed out and it was shipped the next day. I have to talk to some one live with PS5 and it's more cumbersome. Sony is not the perfect company some believe it to be guys and it's not an attack on you to point it out.

Well I'm glad we've finally been able to move on to talking about how Microsoft are superior as far as their returns policy/service goes.

Not subtle at all are you? I think I'm sold, tell them to get your commission ready.

Ok...just to be clear. Your series x dying is not an issue. Big or small.
My XSX dying has no relevance to my PS5 having coil whine. The sound my XSX makes when I play games DOES have relevance to the sound my PS5 makes when I am playing games. It's not complicated.

Well I'm glad we've finally been able to move on to talking about how Microsoft are superior as far as their returns policy/service goes.

Not subtle at all are you? I think I'm sold, tell them to get your commission ready.
Oh no I wouldn't dream of that man. Sony is the best at everything. I don't want any angry mobs yelling FUD at me.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Hopefully it doesn't get worse than that. Levels like that probably wouldn't bother me. I game with my Pro right next to my monitor so I'm around a meter away from my console.
If i was sitting that close i would portably hear it faintly during silent gameplay.
However since the tone is a low pitched humming it is easy to ignore and you wont hear it if wearing headphones.

FrankWza

Xbox and MS are held accountable for every mistake big or small. Sony issues are accepted and excuses are made for them.
My XSX dying has no relevance to my PS5 having coil whine. The sound my XSX makes when I play games DOES have relevance to the sound my PS5 makes when I am playing games. It's not complicated.
If your series x dying has nothing to do with coil whine and noise, none of the other big or small mistakes have any reason to be brought up either. Why complicate things when its not complicated?
By the way, did you ever list which fan you have in your PS5?

JLB

Banned
Hostile_18 Hostile_18 man, 4 units. I’d ask for a refund at this point and buy a new revisited model in a year or so. That noise is awful, not xbox 360 levels but close.

Hostile_18

Banned
Hostile_18 Hostile_18 man, 4 units. I’d ask for a refund at this point and buy a new revisited model in a year or so. That noise is awful, not xbox 360 levels but close.

Well 4th unit is inbound and they confirmed a 5th unit will be sent if this one is likewise bad. I think my retailer return window is the end of this month. Yeah agreed on that, hate it.

If your series x dying has nothing to do with coil whine and noise, none of the other big or small mistakes have any reason to be brought up either. Why complicate things when its not complicated?
By the way, did you ever list which fan you have in your PS5?
People were attacked for saying their PS5 had coil whine. There was a guy demanding to see PSN IDs! When MS messes up its a big deal and it is pointed out over and over and over again. It's fine. If they messed up it should be called out but we shouldn't pretend that there aren't issues with the PS5. Like I said:
I was comparing sound profiles while playing games. I am certain that if the XSX had coil whine it WOULD be called out. Look at the outrage over the XSX 'smoking and overheating'.

With regards to fan noise it wasn't really an issue. It's louder than XSX but if I could handle PS4 Pro fan noise the PS5 is a walk in the park. I didn't bother to check the fan type because it was clear the sound was coming from the power supply.

Well 4th unit is inbound and they confirmed a 5th unit will be sent if this one is likewise bad. I think my retailer return window is the end of this month. Yeah agreed on that, hate it.
I hope 4th times the charm for you my man. And here am I complaining about having to turn in my first console! I'm so sorry GHG GHG

Last edited:

It would suck to ask for a refund but that might end up being your only option. If the issue is that bad hopefully there's a law suit against Sony due to it. There's no reason why anyone has to go through so many PS5s to get one that's not faulty.b

I've been following this thread for a while, but I just made an account to share my experience.

My launch console has coil whine, so I bought another one at the end of December rather than trying an exchange through Sony. That one came with the same amount of coil whine in addition to the high-pitched fan noise. I kept my initial console because the coil whine isn't really noticeable in PS4 games, whereas the fan noise could be heard in every game. Either way, both brand new consoles I opened had coil whine audible from across the room. This is in the US, I had seen some speculation about it being an issue limited to the UK.

I'm sure there are consoles out there that don't have this issue, but these are the only two I've heard in person. I've also noticed that the annoying part of the whine for me is the kind of resonance it has when I listen to it from further away. There's the low pitch buzz shown in the videos, and it's almost like there's a second buzz that just sounds like the pitch changing when you get close to the console. When there's any kind of ambient noise, like AC or something else, you can't really hear this at all. I'd imagine this is harder to hear in general, but both of these consoles had it. I've seen people who said they can't hear a buzz unless they put their head next to their consoles, and at that point all I hear is the lower pitched buzz. It's not until I'm at least a few feet away in a very quiet room that I can hear the noise I'm talking about. If anybody is looking for a free game to test this, the main menu in Fortnite has the pitch constantly fluctuating on mine.

So here's another case to add to the list. I'm probably just going to hold out for a slim/ pro model at this point to see if this is fixed/ showing up less in those, unless there's a revision within my 1-year warranty that Sony replaces launch day consoles with (which I doubt).

FranXico

How is your replacement Xbox?

How is your replacement Xbox?
My replacement PS5 is on the way back. What you quoted already addressed the status of the Xbox. I'm hoping that at the very least the PS5 noise won't be worse.

I've been following this thread for a while, but I just made an account to share my experience.

My launch console has coil whine, so I bought another one at the end of December rather than trying an exchange through Sony. That one came with the same amount of coil whine in addition to the high-pitched fan noise. I kept my initial console because the coil whine isn't really noticeable in PS4 games, whereas the fan noise could be heard in every game. Either way, both brand new consoles I opened had coil whine audible from across the room. This is in the US, I had seen some speculation about it being an issue limited to the UK.

I'm sure there are consoles out there that don't have this issue, but these are the only two I've heard in person. I've also noticed that the annoying part of the whine for me is the kind of resonance it has when I listen to it from further away. There's the low pitch buzz shown in the videos, and it's almost like there's a second buzz that just sounds like the pitch changing when you get close to the console. When there's any kind of ambient noise, like AC or something else, you can't really hear this at all. I'd imagine this is harder to hear in general, but both of these consoles had it. I've seen people who said they can't hear a buzz unless they put their head next to their consoles, and at that point all I hear is the lower pitched buzz. It's not until I'm at least a few feet away in a very quiet room that I can hear the noise I'm talking about. If anybody is looking for a free game to test this, the main menu in Fortnite has the pitch constantly fluctuating on mine.

So here's another case to add to the list. I'm probably just going to hold out for a slim/ pro model at this point to see if this is fixed/ showing up less in those, unless there's a revision within my 1-year warranty that Sony replaces launch day consoles with (which I doubt).
I'm inclined to believe that most PS5s emit some sort of buzzing it's just based on location of the system or the hearing aquity of the person listening. It appears to be a simple solution if Sony has their PSUs manufactured with the sound dapenening goop. It can't add that much to the cost of the system and it significantly improves the audio profile of the system. Most likely they'll address it before the end of this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom