• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

Hostile_18

Banned
Sorry to hear this, but here's a suggestion: I know how much you love Sony exclusives and it sounds like it doesn't give you problems on those, why don't you use the PS5 as a Sony exclusive box? I think you'd wind up very unhappy if you have to forego the games/series you love so much.

Yeah that's a good suggestion 😊. I can do that or sell now and get one down the line when the manufacturing process has matured. I'm certain there will be stealth revisions on PS5s.

Sorry to hear this, but here's a suggestion: I know how much you love Sony exclusives and it sounds like it doesn't give you problems on those, why don't you use the PS5 as a Sony exclusive box? I think you'd wind up very unhappy if you have to forego the games/series you love so much.

Good pair of headphones can also be a solution. I personally would try that out before buying another box.

Blond

Banned
I tried Valhalla 60fps and it's not good on that either. I love Sony exclusives, prefer the controller but don't think I can game on this anymore. Its fucking horrible buzzing on 60fps modes (apart from Demon Souls). Such a horrible position to be in got thousands tied to my account, Naughty Dog are my favourite developer but I can't fucking stand it. Three consoles and although this is the best one yet it's still not acceptable. Thing is two of my close friends have one and they dont notice theres making a noise.. I've gone through three in a row. I don't understand how people can prefer this over fan noise.

No game and 30fps games and certain 60fps games its spot on. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

My return window is 31st Jan. So I'll play the exclusives, see if it changes and go from there.

I feel really let down with Sony and was so happy with the PS4 and Pro for the last 7 years.

Just return it or keep working with Sony to get support. Also, if basic level customer support doesn’t work for you emailing management gets you a response. Hope you get a console eventually, mines works perfectly

That makes you appreciate S|X even more and marvelous team behind putting together in the lab this silent beast.

Does S|X has coil whine cooling tech or they went with a different approach? Buzzing would annoy tha fk outta me.(haven't used enough my PS5 to determine if i have same prob) got state of the art surround sound system in my movie theater.. wearing headphones is out of the question.

Run any game on X, quality or performance mode, heavy streaming open world games, it doesn't matter...DEAD SILENT every, single, time.

That makes you appreciate S|X even more and marvelous team behind putting together in the lab this silent beast.

Does S|X has coil whine cooling tech or they went with a different approach? Buzzing would annoy tha fk outta me.(haven't used enough my PS5 to determine if i have same prob) got state of the art surround sound system in my movie theater.. wearing headphones is out of the question.

Run any game on X, quality or performance mode, heavy streaming open world games, it doesn't matter...DEAD SILENT every, single, time.

You have to admit the PS5 is alot better than the Pro in the comparisons that I've seen. Sony did a pretty good job in getting system that quiet. Hopefully this Coil Whine issue isn't due to the cooling design and can be resolved with different parts.

Hostile_18

Banned
So what brings you back to the PS5 besides the exclusives?

Well the exclusives is the main one. Naughty dog are my favourite developers so Uncharted and Last of Us franchises are by far the best gaming has to offer for me (aside from maybe the Witcher 3). God of War, Days Gone also right up there.

I have about 240 digital titles. I prefer the controller and trophies system (at least on the Pro). More of my friends are on the Sony ecosystem.

That's not to say theres things I don't love about the Xbox, chiefly the silence of the console, gamepass and retro emulation.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

You have to admit the PS5 is alot better than the Pro in the comparisons that I've seen. Sony did a pretty good job in getting system that quiet. Hopefully this Coil Whine issue isn't due to the cooling design and can be resolved with different parts.

I applaud that they're more silent then the previous consoles, that's a step in the good direction. But silent as a Xbox they're still not as many already have said. It would be wise to start reverse engineering to understand why the Xbox consoles since last gen are so amazingly quiet and implement what they find in the mid-gen refresh consoles.

Good pair of headphones can also be a solution. I personally would try that out before buying another box.
You should not have to use headphones to overcome something that should not be an issue at all. Consumers should demand better for our money.

I applaud that they're more silent then the previous consoles, that's a step in the good direction. But silent as a Xbox they're still not as many already have said. It would be wise to start reverse engineering to understand why the Xbox consoles since last gen are so amazingly quiet and implement what they find in the mid-gen refresh consoles.
It might be as simple as MS actually cared about the issue and Sony was focused elsewhere.

Last edited:

FrankWza

These coil whine threads are mostly made up of fakers who have nothing new to play. Don’t waste your time.

MacReady13

I know when it happened with my 1st ps5 console, eventually it was ALL I could hear. I actively went out of my way to hear it. Now on my 2nd console and it's near silent. Near I say because I am still actively looking to hear the coil whine and even if it is ever so slight (which it is) it's amplified 10 times due to my sensitive hearing! All in all though it's near silent which is far far FAR better than my 1st console (but still no where near how quiet my Series X is)!

FrankWza

Same ac cable. They told me to only send in the unit itself.
Hmm. Try another. Any PS cable save for PS4 pro and fat PS3 will work. It’s a standard figure 8 cable. Worth a try. I’m using the longer one from something else because the PS5 one is short

Hostile_18

Banned
These coil whine threads are mostly made up of fakers who have nothing new to play. Don’t waste your time.

What makes you think that? Quite a few of us have had multiple bad PS5's in a row, Resetera has a 50+ page thread, theres tons of videos on YouTube some with multiple PS5s in the same video all with coil whine, Sony are swapping units in the UK at least without question when coil whine is mentioned, after the initial trouble shooting. Making up coil whine because theres nothing new to play seems like a very fanboyish comment (and for me at least theres tons to play).

FrankWza

What makes you think that? Quite a few of us have had multiple bad PS5's in a row, Resetera has a 50+ page thread, theres tons of videos on YouTube some with multiple PS5s in the same video all with coil whine, Sony are swapping units in the UK at least without question when coil whine is mentioned, after the initial trouble shooting. Making up coil whine because theres nothing new to play seems like a very fanboyish comment (and for me at least theres tons to play).
Simple. Most of the comments in the multiple threads here saying they have coil whine are from known Sony bashers. There’s legitimate cases, hence the thread, but most of the comments are from known Sony bashers that don’t actually own a PS5 and they’re all negative and they don’t post in any single other Sony related thread other than to bash. You’re in the DeS thread, how many other posters saying they have coil whine have been spotted in that thread? See? Simple.

Hostile_18

Banned
Get rid of your PS5 if you think it's garbage.

Blind loyalty is not been able to acknowledge legitimate problems. If Sony can fix this issue in future builds it's better for everyone.

If the average PS5 buzzes on a per game basis that's a pretty big design flaw. Putting headphones on is just a band aid over a wound. Sure it's a inconvenient work around but should we really have to do that with a brand new console?

Blind loyalty is not been able to acknowledge legitimate problems. If Sony can fix this issue in future builds it's better for everyone.

If the average PS5 buzzes on a per game basis that's a pretty big design flaw. Putting headphones on is just a band aid over a wound. Sure it's a inconvenient work around but should we really have to do that with a brand new console?

Well mass returns will send Sony a message if it's that bad. I own a Pro so I can't imagine the PS5 being louder than it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Simple. Most of the comments in the multiple threads here saying they have coil whine are from known Sony bashers. There’s legitimate cases, hence the thread, but most of the comments are from known Sony bashers that don’t actually own a PS5 and they’re all negative and they don’t post in any single other Sony related thread other than to bash. You’re in the DeS thread, how many other posters saying they have coil whine have been spotted in that thread? See? Simple.

You make it sound like its 1 in every 100 that has coil whine when in reality it's far, far higher. Theres multiple reports of numerous PS5s purchased in sequence having such an annoyance. The extent to which people can tolerate it/hear it and their white noise environment varies of course. But theres just too much overwhelming evidence to suggest it's as minor as your making out. Just on mine alone three in a row. Here's another user with 4 in a row (4th is updated in the comments).

Hostile_18

Banned
Well mass returns will send Sony a message if it's that bad. I own a Pro so I can't imagine the PS5 being louder than it.

It's not louder just more annoying. Imagine not a fan noise that blends in the background but a "ZZZZZZZZZ" that changes pitch depending on what your doing and the FPS/game in question. Imagine for example going into the menu or Spiderman to spend your stat points and that's all you can hear. Or a quiet scene with the family talking and that's on in the background.

It's not louder just more annoying. Imagine not a fan noise that blends in the background but a "ZZZZZZZZZ" that changes pitch depending on what your doing and the FPS/game in question. Imagine for example going into the menu or Spiderman to spend your stat points and that's all you can hear. Or a quiet scene with the family talking and that's on in the background.

So as loud as a barbers clippers?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Sucks that even your third PS5 has problems. Personally I'd still keep it then sell it on when/if new revisions are released.

I was so close. PS4 games = great. PS5 30fps games = great. Demon Souls/Astro great. Then I try Spiderman and Valhalla at 60fps modes and it sounds like a fridge 😭. My only hope is that if it does reduce it will be acceptable to me.

As you say I could sell it as it appears alot of people can't hear/mind it.

Hostile_18

Banned
So as loud as a barbers clippers?

Yeah along those lines. I've tried moving 14 feet away from the PS5 and I can still hear it so its not a case of any kind of reasonable distance. Like I say though it's a very individual thing, it might not drive you crazy like it does me. I just like to immersed in what I'm watching and I've spent alot of money creating my home theater setup to have quiet scenes ruined isn't what I want. I'm not concentrating on the scene I'm focusing on the strange sound.

On my PS4 Pro sometimes the fan would go crazy on the map or on certain levels in RDR2/Last of Us but it never affected me like this annoying buzzing does.

Last edited:
I was so close. PS4 games = great. PS5 30fps games = great. Demon Souls/Astro great. Then I try Spiderman and Valhalla at 60fps modes and it sounds like a fridge 😭. My only hope is that if it does reduce it will be acceptable to me.

As you say I could sell it as it appears alot of people can't hear/mind it.

Can't be as loud as my old fridge. I had to put sound dampeners to make it tolerable.

Yeah along those lines. I've tried moving 14 feet away from the PS5 and I can still hear it so its not a case of any kind of reasonable distance. Like I say though it's a very individual thing, it might not drive you crazy like it does me. I just like to immersed in what I'm watching and I've spent alot of money creating my home theater setup to have quiet scenes ruined isn't what I want. I'm not concentrating on the scene I'm focusing on the strange sound.

Have you even used barbers clippers before?

I shave my dogs with them and they make a ton of noise. If I closed the door you would still hear them.

Hostile_18

Banned
Can't be as loud as my old fridge. I had to put sound dampeners to make it tolerable.

My advice would be to buy from a retailer with a good exchange policy just in case. Heck for all we know it's a regional sourcing of parts issue hence why certain users are getting multiple bad PS5s in a row.

FrankWza

You make it sound like its 1 in every 100 that has coil whine when in reality it's far, far higher. Theres multiple reports of numerous PS5s purchased in sequence having such an annoyance. The extent to which people can tolerate it/hear it and their white noise environment varies of course. But theres just too much overwhelming evidence to suggest it's as minor as your making out. Just on mine alone three in a row. Here's another user with 4 in a row (4th is updated in the comments).

I’m sure it’s 110/100%. To a degree they probably all have it. I’m saying, here, in these coil whine threads, 90% of the comments are bullshit posts from people who don’t own a PS5 and are just bashing. As far as it being severe enough to return, yeah, that’s a low percentage. Like mastercornholio said, the PRo was LOUD and had coil whine. PS5 is way, way more quiet. If your PS5 is anywhere near the PRo there’s something up, return it and wait or try something else. Try a different ac cable or try the o ring trick. I believe you hear it, but believe me when I say there are really quiet PS5s that only make noise when the blu ray drive authenticates. Something has to be up with your setup or your PS5s all came from a bad source.

Hostile_18

Banned
Have you even used barbers clippers before?

I shave my dogs with them and they make a ton of noise. If I closed the door you would still hear them.
For me even if it was a quarter of what barbers clippers are/were it would still take me out of the scene to have an annoying sound injected in a scene that isn't meant to have it. Some external sounds we can filter out easily others we can't. Unfortunately we don't get much of a say in our tolerance levels.

My advice would be to buy from a retailer with a good exchange policy just in case. Heck for all we know it's a regional sourcing of parts issue hence why certain users are getting multiple bad PS5s in a row.

It shouldn't sound like hair clippers though. Sounds like Sony is pulling s fast one on you with the exchanges. You sure they are not giving you other PS5s that were turned in for coil whine?

Hostile_18

Banned
I’m sure it’s 110/100%. To a degree they probably all have it. I’m saying, here, in these coil whine threads, 90% of the comments are bullshit posts from people who don’t own a PS5 and are just bashing. As far as it being severe enough to return, yeah, that’s a low percentage. Like mastercornholio said, the PRo was LOUD and had coil whine. PS5 is way, way more quiet. If your PS5 is anywhere near the PRo there’s something up, return it and wait or try something else. Try a different ac cable or try the o ring trick. I believe you hear it, but believe me when I say there are really quiet PS5s that only make noise when the blu ray drive authenticates. Something has to be up with your setup or your PS5s all came from a bad source.

I've never had an issue before with any console or my setup. Looking at the online reports it does appear to be more widespread than any one region. Theres reports online and in this thread with people viewing 7-12 PS5s all with coul whine (some one a few posts back made a great post about their experience with it). Could there be more of a chance you simply can't hear it? I think it is on the borderline of human perception, so it probably will vary.

Based on my experience in the UK I'd say 70-80% have coil whine to some degree.

Technically even the worst coil whine Sony could say is not a fault. But I think they would lose a fair amount of customers over it. Especially the home theater crowd like myself.

MacReady13

What games have you pushed the system with?
I have Demon's Souls, both Spiderman games, Sackboy, Assassins Creed, Immortals, Dirt 5, WRC 9, COD. All are PS5 versions. I also have Cyberpunk downloaded onto the system. 5 of those games run off the disc as well (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sack Boy, Assassins Creed and COD are disc versions).

Hostile_18

Banned
Good thing is with threads like this people who are sensitive to coil whine can make an informed decision if they want to proceed. It's almost certainly going to be a stealth revision down the line. My advice is wait 6 months if you can unless you want to play the lottery where the odds are more against you than for.

Ill phone Sony tomorrow see if they can offer any kind of insight. More inclined to sell it now and jump in a year later. Its definitely not a case of not been a Sony fan, no one was more excited for the PS5 than me.

Good thing is with threads like this people who are sensitive to coil whine can make an informed decision if they want to proceed. It's almost certainly going to be a stealth revision down the line. My advice is wait 6 months if you can unless you want to play the lottery where the odds are more against you than for.

Ill phone Sony tomorrow see if they can offer any kind of insight. More inclined to sell it now and jump in a year later. Its definitely not a case of not been a Sony fan, no one was more excited for the PS5 than me.
It's brave of you to speak out on a forum where criticism of the PlayStation isn't tolerated. The coil whine is an issue that should have been prevented in the design of the PS5 and I hope you're right that a future revision will fix the issue.

FrankWza

Theres reports online and in this thread with people viewing 7-12 PS5s all with coul whine
I don’t believe those people.
Could there be more of a chance you simply can't hear it?
No chance.
I think it is on the borderline of human perception, so it probably will vary.
I have a dog. He can’t hear it either.
Based on my experience in the UK I'd say 70-80% have coil whine to some degree.
I’m sure it is, maybe higher even.
try another ac cable. Just because you’ve never had an issue before doesn’t mean it’s not something in your setup. You’ve never had a console this powerful plugged into your system before.
Especially the home theater crowd like myself.
Consoles rarely ever work well for HT setups. Usually best to use a dedicated component.

Geez dude who said anything about 'garbage'. I just think Sony should do better. People attack MS all the time, some demand they leave the industry. Why can't people want a Sony console with a similar sound profile to the much hated Xbox?

Returning it would send Sony a message. Keeping it and dealing with it won't.

What does this have to do with people hating Xbox?

FrankWza

I have Demon's Souls, both Spiderman games, Sackboy, Assassins Creed, Immortals, Dirt 5, WRC 9, COD. All are PS5 versions. I also have Cyberpunk downloaded onto the system. 5 of those games run off the disc as well (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sack Boy, Assassins Creed and COD are disc versions).
What was the difference between consoles 1 and 2? Did you check if they had different fans?

Hostile_18

Banned
Returning it would send Sony a message. Keeping it and dealing with it won't.

What does this have to do with people hating Xbox?

Consoles are so multifaceted it's really hard to give up everything they offer over one issue. Same way loot boxes and other shitty practices are tolerated in otherwise good games.

Gaming is our hobby if something happens like this that ruins our enjoyment do we just give up the hobby altogether? Surely it makes more sense to enact change through participation, especially for more hardcore users. Sony want their customers happy ultimately. Whatever is going wrong during the manufacturing process I doubt it is that expensive to fix (as the Series X can afford to do so at the same price point).

Consoles are so multifaceted it's really hard to give up everything they offer over one issue. Same way loot boxes and other shitty practices are tolerated in otherwise good games.

Gaming is our hobby if something happens like this that ruins our enjoyment do we just give up the hobby altogether? Surely it makes more sense to enact change through participation, especially for more hardcore users. Sony want their customers happy ultimately. Whatever is going wrong during the manufacturing process I doubt it is that expensive to fix (as the Series X can afford to do so at the same price point).

I just watched many videos on the middle and there are units out there that don't have it. The ones they do it isn't the same with any of them. Some are extremely loud while others can only be heard by setting a microphone up to them.

I'm still getting a PS5 though since this doesn't seem like a RROD type issue. Hopefully since I'm struggling to get one the later production models offer some improvement over this issue. And if mine does have the issue hopefully it isn't bad enough for me to exchange it. I'm definitely not planning on getting an XSX due to this issue because I demand the type of games that Sony 1st parties offer. Not to mention multiplats seem to run just fine on the console when compared to the XSX so there's nothing to worry about there.

What I do believe though is some people are treating this like a console breaking issue which it isn't. But I agree it should be better. At least Sony took some steps to make the console slot quieter than the Pro bit unfortunately coil whine is an issue with some units.

vdopey

I haven't been on Neogaf for a while, I've been really busy with work.

So here is my problem with this, I have had electronic components with coil whine, specifically my current nvidia gpu has it and I have had a dell laptop with it in the past. My current Onkyo amp also had some coil whine especially when it was warming up.

I was actually not going to bother with either next gen consoles and was going to wait, I then realized my foolishness and went to try and find one and it was sold out everywhere, I however got very lucky on the 2nd wave of pre-orders one of the online retailers had it and I managed to order from them with no issue, they had a delivery charge and I had to get an extra controller, but that is fine I usually always get a minimum 2 controllers anyway.

Hearing coil whine is likely dependent on age. The younger you are the more likely that you will hear it, if you are younger than 30 your audio range (frequency you can hear audio) is at its best and it then begins to degrade, if your above 40 you are less likely to be bothered by it or even hear it especially if it is high pitched.

With this said I must be one of the other lucky ones, my ps5 arrived I read some of the threads here with dread about connecting external drives and random consoles bricking in sleep mode. I bought an external Samsung T7 1TB USB SSD I backed off my ps4 pro prior and turned on my ps5 for the first time, it was so quiet I thought it was faulty I could not hear fan noise I could not hear anything. I work with computers all day, I was expecting some sort of noise. I was just so damn surprised at how quiet it was I put my ear next to it trying to hear something I could not hear a thing from it. I was worried something was wrong with it. I restored my user settings and my game saves, didn't restore any of the actual games from the backup, re-purposed the usb drive as extended external storage left it plugged in, left the console to use sleep mode essentially just enabled everything I figured if its going to go wrong better to go wrong now rather than later. Everything has worked perfectly, not a single issue with it, completely silent. Ive had maybe 2 crashes, 1 very early on actual os level crash and the 2nd was a game crash, other than that its been amazing.

Now my problem with your issue is this:

I have a Dolby Atmos/home cinema setup so headphones arnt really a viable option for me. Swapped the plug over direct to the socket no change.

You are telling us you can hear coil whine with a "Dolby Atmos / Home cinema" setup ? This is the point where I call bullshit.

Unless that coil whine is being amplified through your speakers, which would then point to serious grounding issues, there is no way you would being hearing it with a complete surround sound setup.

I have read through this thread and was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but 3 consoles all with terrible coil whine, so loud you can hear it through your sound system ? Either you are a bat with incredible hearing or I call bullshit.

Either way it doesn't matter, I would honestly suggest that you sell your PS5 there are plenty of people on here that would buy it off of you. You can probably make some money off of it on ebay, whatever essentially if you are having genuine issues after 3 returns and you were lucky enough to get 2 consoles sent out to you when people are still struggling to find 1 to buy, then its time to sell.

Your game collection can still be played on your ps4. I suggest you stick with your Xbox SX for this generation and leave your ps4 to play ps4 games, maybe in a few years Sony might do a PRO or they will probably create a slim edition you can then pick one up if you so desire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom