• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 (sequel of remnant from the ashes) Reveal trailer

John Bilbo

Hmmm, this is tempting, as someone who is interested in the sequel but never played the first.

To anyone who has played, what kind of time investment is it? Can I run through it in 8 hours or so to get the story and an idea of what kind of game it is?
It is a challenging third person shooter with elements similar to Diablo and Dark Souls. The game is designed to be replayable so in one run you won't experience all the content the game has to offer.

I don't think you should play it for the story.

nikos

I've owned the first for a while but never really got into it. Recently started a co-op run with a friend to get the story and prepare for the sequel.

We've played for about six hours so far, and I'd agree on not playing it for the sake of preparing for the sequel.

The game is fun but it's not exactly story driven and it's meant to be played multiple times to experience different content.

I have a feeling the sequel will be an improvement so it's probably best to wait for that. Or play the first now and buy the sequel later if you aren't in a rush to play it.

GymWolf

Yeah, this is correct. The story is completely forgettable. Some of the characters are decent, but overall I can't remember what the story was about.
The opposite for me, it was the only souls type game where i actually cared for the story and lore...

btw

Last edited:

GymWolf

- Uses Unreal Engine 5
- Does not use Lumen
- Supports FSR, DLSS and XeSS
- No support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers
- Consoles have 3 performance modes: Performance, Balanced and Quality
How the fuck was i not aware of this?

Was their last game on ue4?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
How the fuck was i not aware of this?

Was their last game on ue4?

I think the first Remnant was on UE4.25
Admittedly, I thought this one was also on UE4, until I read this interview.
It might not support Lumen, but it will support nanite. So that's something.

GymWolf

Yup

No haptics kinda sucks but Ive been spoiled with that shit this gen. Hopeful the general audio/visual feedback on the gunplay is solid.
I'm lucky because i don't give a fuck about haptics:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If you played the first game, you know that it doens't need any haptic to show great gunplay, you don't really need haptics for that.
I think the first Remnant was on UE4.25
Admittedly, I thought this one was also on UE4, until I read this interview.
It might not support Lumen, but it will support nanite. So that's something.
I think nanite is not gonna make any difference with a small team like this one, like we saw the videos of remnant 2, it looks like a good ps4 game in 4k.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

- Uses Unreal Engine 5
- Does not use Lumen
- Supports FSR, DLSS and XeSS
- No support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers
- Consoles have 3 performance modes: Performance, Balanced and Quality

All about this game just keeps getting better, can't wait.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If you played the first game, you know that it doens't need any haptic to show great gunplay, you don't really need haptics for that.

Ill find out tonight when I grab it off that sale. Put in some time before I grab the sequel. GAF brings the pain with the FOMO on release day :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

Ill find out tonight when I grab it off that sale. Put in some time before I grab the sequel. GAF brings the pain with the FOMO on release day :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Just watch a recap of the first one (one that also include chronos and the dlcs), you risk to get burned playing 2 similar games back to back.

And this comes from a huge fanboy of the first game.

I mean unless souls tps is like your favourite genre ever...

Then if you like the second one well enough you can still buy the first one that remain a great game for an even cheaper price.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just watch a recap of the first one, you risk to get burned playing 2 similar games back to back.

And this comes from a huge fanboy of the first game.

Im not worried. It'll be more of a "lets see what this is about" sorta thing and not a full dedication. If 2 is that good i can always come back to it down the line.

GymWolf

Im not worried. It'll be more of a "lets see what this is about" sorta thing and not a full dedication. If 2 is that good i can always come back to it down the line.
If you already decided to buy the second one, i think you should just wait and play that one.

You can still buy the first if you like the second one well enough.

Super hyped for this one, the first game was low-key one of my favourite games from last gen.

I swear, this music intro is in every movie and every game (seemingly).
Big thump at the start that gradually fades, some young girl singing in a somewhat harmonic, yet slightly off key-melancholic voice that also fades, speaking few words till we get that bullshit imagine dragons-like build up. It's all so tiresome. It actually reminds me of youtube shorts and tiktok, and how everyone uses the same 5 tired fucking songs to do the same stupid shit.

GymWolf

I swear, this music intro is in every movie and every game (seemingly).
Big thump at the start that gradually fades, some young girl singing in a somewhat harmonic, yet slightly off key-melancholic voice that also fades, speaking few words till we get that bullshit imagine dragons-like build up. It's all so tiresome. It actually reminds me of youtube shorts and tiktok, and how everyone uses the same 5 tired fucking songs to do the same stupid shit.
I have tbh, i was so hyped for the trailer that i even liked the song, the power of fanboysm in full force:lollipop_squinting:

winjer

Gold Member
Well let's hope is gonna make a bigger difference when we are gonna play live because from yt videos you can't really notice that.

We have to remember this is still a small studio with a small budget. It's a AA game in most respects.
The thing that really matters is gameplay. That is what made the first game so good.

My concern is about bugs and performance. The first game had a lot of bugs and issues when it launched and it took a few patches to get as good as it is.

tmlDan

man this game looks amazing, watching some early access peeps on twitch while i work.

Looks a huge step up from the first game.

GymWolf

We have to remember this is still a small studio with a small budget. It's a AA game in most respects.
The thing that really matters is gameplay. That is what made the first game so good.

My concern is about bugs and performance. The first game had a lot of bugs and issues when it launched and it took a few patches to get as good as it is.
From what i'm hearing, this one seems in better conditions but you know how it work with youtuber and having exclusive access, so, finger crossed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

man this game looks amazing, watching some early access peeps on twitch while i work.

Looks a huge step up from the first game.
In what area did you noticed the biggest improvement?

I'm trying to not watch anything except official trailers and previews with b-roll footage.

M.W.

I really hate difficult games. With that said, if I were to play this solo on survival (easiest) difficulty, how hard would it be?

Last edited:

tmlDan

In what area did you noticed the biggest improvement?

I'm trying to not watch anything except official trailers and previews with b-roll footage.

Mostly the variety of environments thus far looks way more varied, the way the guns sound and shoot is improved, the melee is improved (was slightly jank in the first game).

Also, the dialogue is much better, really high quality now.

I also like the UI changes they made, you can inspect gear from up close

GymWolf

Mostly the variety of environments thus far looks way more varied, the way the guns sound and shoot is improved, the melee is improved (was slightly jank in the first game).

Also, the dialogue is much better, really high quality now.

I also like the UI changes they made, you can inspect gear from up close
Yeah the melee looks less janky, but i kinda loved the melee in the first one, it was super basic and the animations were just ok but it was weighty and hit boxes were perfect (combined with great ragdoll, it was a pleasure to smack smaller enemies).

Curious to hear the dialogues now, first one was just decent even if i liked the lore.

Best change in the ui for me is the map, a clear minimap goes a long way with the my enjoyment of a game.

Last edited:

M.W.

F1bMAj3WYAU7vKa

Last edited:
Can this be played solo all the way through? Never played the first one, don't know if you needed friends or not.
Liked the game a lot(Straight up number 1 favorite I feel nowadays) and mostly played solo... Did do little Co-op for the memes; but I feel like I got way more than my money's worth solo.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

First game had great aesthetics, great gameplay only to be brought down by PISSPOOR enemy difficulty balance. Hard was fun but waay too tedious, Easy had no oomph.

Coop join in was a mess, Made me realize how spoiled I was only playing the big AAA all the time.
I hope they fixed everything, (alongwith dropping the "Remnant of the Ashes" title) because I really wanted to like that game.

Top Bottom