• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only (4K30FPS) - 60fps to be patched in at some future point

GHG

Gold Member
It's really really simple, when they had one console announced the marketing was just about that machine, the world's most powerful console which at 12tflops it is.

It's funny that you still genuinely cling to this.

Unimpressed Zach Galifianakis GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh so you’re a time traveler somehow you’ve been to the future and played starfeild already and know it’s a bad game? 😂 also infinite is not a shitty game it’s actually a good game that lacked launch content for sure but not a shitty game. No one cared about redfall it’s been pile on on everything shown for this game without no one even playing the damn game. If this was 60 it be no news there’s clearly people that have shitted on this game in other threads that are in here acting like this was the breaking point for them. So forgive me if I don’t believe the massive outrage. Clearly the game has this option on pc why is it not ready for consoles I have no idea but if it comes a month later as long as the games good I don’t see the issue. It’s not like it’s a pay to play service game.

Again, people react like this because MS did it to themselves from the start of the gen.

kyoji

Well i was obviously talking about on consoles. PC's will be fine if you have the hardware.

PS5 first party seems to be fine as well, 60fps options along side quality modes with raytracing, no need to wait months or even weeks for a patch 🤷‍♂️
I think the most alarming thing about all of this is games like redfall, starfield and halo infinite dont even seem to be that graphically intensive. Kind of a red flag considering this gen hanst even really gotten balls deep yet.

BootsLoader

Banned
I’m a nostalgic too but if we’re honest many games from that era ran badly and it was only good enough because we didn’t know better and had few games that ran better to compare. Even the hyped up Halo was uneven 25fps on PAL Xbox, 10/10 everywhere but the stutter gave me motion sickness so bad that I skipped the IP for years.
I remember motion sickness also. Had trouble with FPS games, my brain had to calibrate first.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Regardless of this game, this board has become a console war battleground. It's honestly just pathetic.

Go outside and get some sunlight you guys. Your favorite video game company doesn't matter.

Most people aren't warriors on GAF. They just want to talk about good games. I will admit there may be more negativity than should be healthy - but that isn't warring. Folks like DeepEnigma, Kyoji, you, and Rhodesianshepard, to name a few make up the vast majority of users.

The reason why it *looks* like console warring all the time is because the handful of console warriors left never shut the fuck up and spam endless threads. Mod team here does a good job at trying to reign it in and give people second, third, fourth, chances. Eventually these dipshits will earn a perm as they always do.

Again, people react like this because MS did it to themselves from the start of the gen.
lol let’s not act like there are no other games on the system that do 60fps or 120fps at all for whatever reason redfall is the base game that defines the series x now? Lol some of you are laughable and you want to bring up the activision acquisition as metric to bash them because of redfall. It’s not like the developers said it can’t be done they said it will be there post launch. Now if they implemented and it wasn’t stable you’ll be complaining damed if they do damed if they don’t story of Xbox.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think the most alarming thing about all of this is games like redfall, starfield and halo infinite dont even seem to be that graphically intensive. Kind of a red flag considering this gen hanst even really gotten balls deep yet.

Graphical intensity means nothing today. What matters more is the gameplay. Fallout 3 was never a looker, but it was a ton of fun. Meanwhile look at the games that tried to put emphasis on graphical fidelity and where they are now. Order 1886, Ryse, Crysis - they are all forgotten as they never put their focus on gameplay. Crysis is literally only ever remembered for being a graphical benchmark and nothing else.

I want Starfield to be good as its been a good 12 years or so since the last good Bethesda RPG (I wasn't the biggest fan of Skyrim after the first playthrough and Fallout 4/76 took too many steps back). I also hope MS releases a cool CE console/controller bundle for it. That fake one we had a few weeks back was absolutely brilliant.

Deathloop-Reviews.jpg

Did you play it on ps5 yet?
I did. It was absolutely boring. Far too easy to stumble across the "one correct path" in how you kill each of the folks and then after that the replayability drops off the face of the planet.

Forsythia

Just delay it, that first impression will take quite a hit if it's just 30 fps. I doubt it will be unplayable, but it is ridiculous to release it like this.

Yeah, this is exactly what the Gotham Knights devs said about coop games set in an open world. You're CPU bound and while you can push pixels, the framerate relies heavily on the CPU which will be busy keeping track of what other players are doing in your world.

Good to see they are planning a 60 fps mode, but I wouldnt be too hopeful. Gotham Knights never got one.

It's not even gamepass. This is a first party exclusive that should ship in a completed state. This used to be the kind of stuff that separate first party publisher from third party ones who released buggy incomplete games just to hit fiscal year or holiday deadlines. I would love to blame everything on gamepass but this game shouldve shipped with a 60 fps mode considering they didnt have to ship it on PS5 and last gen consoles.

Explain Destiny then

kyoji

Graphical intensity means nothing today. What matters more is the gameplay. Fallout 3 was never a looker, but it was a ton of fun. Meanwhile look at the games that tried to put emphasis on graphical fidelity and where they are now. Order 1886, Ryse, Crysis - they are all forgotten as they never put their focus on gameplay. Crysis is literally only ever remembered for being a graphical benchmark and nothing else.

I want Starfield to be good as its been a good 12 years or so since the last good Bethesda RPG (I wasn't the biggest fan of Skyrim after the first playthrough and Fallout 4/76 took too many steps back). I also hope MS releases a cool CE console/controller bundle for it. That fake one we had a few weeks back was absolutely brilliant.

I did. It was absolutely boring. Far too easy to stumble across the "one correct path" in how you kill each of the folks and then after that the replayability drops off the face of the planet.
are u implying redfall gameplay looks good? lol explain

also why cant you have good gameplay without sacrificing graphics and performance?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
60 fps, 120 fps, and vrr were not supposed to be just some "in-between generations" temporary thing. Why are people talking in absolutes and about casuals not caring all of sudden?
I also want them to explain what's "so large and massive in scope" in Starfield where 60fps would be "so impressive." Especially when we have better looking open world games now at 60fps. Only thing that would be impressive, is that engine they use runs like hot trash on anything outside high end PCs whenever they launch a new game.

I'm just not seeing anything so graphically impressive in Starfield, that other games out now do much better on a visual technical level, that warrants "so impressive" if they hit 60. Unless the impressive part is due to their technical pedigree, much like Fromsoft, and that has nothing to do with "scope."

Last edited:

Fredrik

Funny thing is my PC is a similar power level to XSX, and i bet i can get 60fps on my PC (and i'll show screens to prove it).
Sure that will probably be at 1080p, but would people really grumble about a 1080p/60 option on XSX?.
I don’t do 30fps anymore for any fast game and barely even slow games. That’s how I am. I’ll rather play at 720p if that’s what’s needed for 60fps. I even played Control on Geforce Now in internal 480p or whatever with DLSS performance to get 60fps when my PC wasn’t RTX capable. High resolution might honestly be the least important thing I know in gaming.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
are u implying redfall gameplay looks good? lol explain

No. I am implying Starfield gameplay looks good despite its graphical fidelity lacking in many places.

Redfall looks like generic COOP GAAS Shite.

As for your edit, what you do mean "have good gameplay without sacrificing gameplay and performance"? That seems like an oxymoron. I assume you mean graphics?

In which case, why go for graphical fidelity and not a strong, unified artstyle? Its why games like Grounded, Pentiment, and Hi-Fi Rush look great. Why most of Nintendos' games look brillaint even 20+ years post launch, why WoW (despite its god awful gameplay these days) still looks distinctly WoW.

Performance is a non-issue at 30 FPS (as long as it is steady with no fluctuations). I never understood this "games are worthless at 30 fps, they should all be 60!" nonsense. Again, if that is not what you are referring to, then apologies.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Check the Activision discussion. Redfall and Starfield were never xbox games, apparently.
Seems like a rather weak "gotcha". To my understanding, people were saying that it was a game that would have released on playstation if it wasn't for Microsoft's aquisiton. Which is very ikely true while also having little to do with the current discussion. Regardless of when it started development and what the original target platforms were, it is an xbox game right now and the decision to release it unfinished is on them. Who else can we blame for this? Jim Ryan?

Last edited:

baphomet

30fps for a game that looks like this? Lol

As soon as they said this was Arkane's Far Cry it meant I would be playing this. The last couple of weeks have just made this shit look worse and worse. Arkane haven't made a good game yet, and it doesn't look like they're about to start.

Mr.ODST

How is this about Series S? The game runs at 30fps on Series X.
Multiple games coming out having performance issues with Xbox consoles, not sure whats going on but only difference is the Series S (And I play and like Xbox and MS before I called a fanboy) just seems to often atm.
Ill play RedFall on PC but disappointing for those on console

kyoji

No. I am implying Starfield gameplay looks good despite its graphical fidelity lacking in many places.

Redfall looks like generic COOP GAAS Shite.
I dont think just having 100's of hours of gameplay will be enough to give bethesda a pass this time, their needs to be substantial substance. if this is just another one of their fallout/elder scroll games without any form of evolution then i think thats quite disappointing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I dont think just having 100's of hours of gameplay will be enough to give bethesda a pass this time, their needs to be substantial substance. if this is just another one of their fallout/elder scroll games without any form of evolution then i think thats quite disappointing.

Honestly I disagree. If this was just Morrowind or Oblivion in Space? Or Fallout 3 in Space? I would be extremely happy. We get so few of these types of RPGs anymore.

The biggest fear I have is that it will play more like Fallout 4, 76, or Skyrim - incredibly watered down and simplisitc "RPG-Lite" systems that ultimately are not fun to explore or min/max.

MacReady13

Well I think GamePass gives them some leaway to release a game incomplete and update it later. When you don't count on a ton of $70 sales Day 1, you don't need to start with the most polished product. So it's more of a byproduct of not having to go for millions of $70 sales in the first month or so of release.
And this is why this kind of thinking will be the end of gaming for me. Game pass gives them leeway to release incomplete games and update later!?? What!?
This was on my list of games to BUY on my series X. It’s off that list now.

And just as a side note- every advertisement for this game shows Microsoft saying it’s releasing for Series consoles, PC and Gamepass. Since when is Gamepass it’s own thing? They make this game for PC, consoles and then code it for Gamepass cause that is what it would sound like to the average person reading these ads.

feynoob

Gold Member
And this is why this kind of thinking will be the end of gaming for me. Game pass gives them leeway to release incomplete games and update later!?? What!?

And just as a side note- every advertisement for this game shows Microsoft saying it’s releasing for Series consoles, PC and Gamepass. Since when is Gamepass it’s own thing? They make this game for PC, consoles and then code it for Gamepass cause that is what it would sound like to the average person reading these ads.
Dude you don't need gamepass to release incomplete games.
Look at the state of released games these days.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
71hJyoVOhOL._RI_.jpg

FH5, Psychonauts 2 etc.
FH5's progression was broken for months and months after launch and I still believe there are issues that plague the progression (leveling up), rewards, and leaderboards till this day. You and I have been through this before, I reckon.

Paychonaughts 2 AA was pretty much almost done before MS even bought them. C'mon son.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Explain Destiny then
I did.

It was 256 players actually but they were all playing against each other. The CPU wasnt handling any NPC or enemy AI.

We went through this with Destiny last gen. It was a cross gen PS3 game that didnt get a 60 fps mode on PS4 because it had to not just handle 6 players during raids but all the AI that each player was interacting with. Even with the mid gen consoles, they had native 4k on the x1x but still not enough CPU power to handle 60 fps. That came later with the PS5 and XSX. Again, Destiny is essentially a PS3 game that needed a PS5 CPU to get 60 fps.

I ran Gotham Knights at 60 fps on my 8 core 16 thread CPU but on several occassions, the game just crashed during coop after stuttering down to just 2 fps. Im sure its possible to get this running at 60 fps but they are clearly running into the same challenges other devs have run into.

I hate this direction MS is going, but GamePass is their baby and their focus. Sales isn't their incentive. PC game sales are not that huge to begin with. Games are a huge success on PC is they sell like 1 million. They have ~25 million gamepass subscribers to "deal with it".

Top Bottom