• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Do you actually think that this game is fun or do you think that it's boring?

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

I only played this game until Chapter 2 and it's been gathering dust for months now. Never touched it because I complained about the controls.

Well FUCK all that because I'm loving it.

I recently started playing it again in the hopes I would start to like it and my god is it a fun, engrossing game. Just wandering around the map I stumbled upon a group of fucking cannibals and a massive cave they were hiding in. I had to take them all out and some of them even rush you with melee weapons. It was a tense situation but very fun to pick them off one by one. Shortly after the encounter and with dead bodies everywhere, some bounty hunters pitched up while I was looting the dead bodies and I lured them into this massive cave and took them on as they tried to rush me.
I was hiding behind a crate just near the cave entrance where the pathway is narrow so it was a nice bottleneck for me to equip my shotgun and just hit that gap with buckshot as they rush in.

The story missions are getting more intense as well and I enjoy just roaming around on horseback hunting animals and picking plants/flowers to add to the compendium. Got a couple of nice pelts to sell and going to craft some recipes.
And it's just nice to roam around and do random stuff. If I find myself near a side quest or main mission, I'll take it on but I won't go out of my way to do specific stuff. It's quite relaxing and amazing.

Add to that the atmosphere and incredible graphics. For the first time this week I've seen different weather systems and learned to appreciate a misty sunrise or a thunderstorm at night.

Have to hand it to the developers for the incredible attention to detail. Wonderful, amazing game and I'm going to continue to play it slowly to soak it all in.

I really enjoyed it for the most part. There is some tedium with it though for sure. The controls are frustrating as fuck whenever a large firefight breaks out and you want to move around. Just feels slow and unresponsive. Also shooting on horseback is still an absolute mess.

Its definitely not a "get in and waste 10 minutes" type of game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Enjoy the snots out of the game. Put thousands of hours into it since it came out.

I personally find it fun and immersive getting lost in the world, and every time I play it after being away for a bit, I am still wow'ed with how it looks (mainly the lighting model).

Last edited:

Trumpets

As long as you're prepared to go at the game's pace rather than trying to rush through, it's as good as gaming gets.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I really liked it. Shooting mechanics felt outdated (at least on PS4) but everything else was from great to fantastic.

MilkyJoe

It was like a really pretty girl that is boring as fuck, but you went with for a bit and her dreadfully bad Handjob were a perfect metaphor for the diabolical control mechanics.

assurdum

Banned
Imo its a boring ass empty world with good storytelling, but overall it was a slog to get through it.
Really now? Some missions are terrible, gameplay outdated and bad paced, awful controls for sure, but empty and boring world? That's the only untouchable aspect of the game with the graphic.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its not fun, and its not boring either. It was entertaining. Story was nice, there are some funny moments, especially when it envolves alcohol. But the gameplay can get frustating at times, like horse runing into trees, auto fail mission when ur not following extacly what the game wants u to do.

I wish Rockstar had made it more into a sandbox, kinda like GTAs are, but when u finish RDR2 u kinda are left with nothing more interesting stuff do do.

The RDR Online they launched short after was the worst online experience i had. People shooting eachother on sight treating it like a battle royale even if it was just the free roaming mode. PVP modes was terrible designed. The only nice thing was the online co-op missions, but there was too few of those to give any merit to the online mode.

Last edited:
I thin the environment, exploration and animations are incredible. It love how immersive it is and I love how slow I can move by just walking around. I just wish I could automatically walk without pushing the analog stick forward.

As for the story and missions, I don't think they are fun at all. The gun play is not good either and feels pretty bad. I also don't lie any of the characters.

Red Dead 1 was a much better game for it's time in my opinion. It had better physics as it was made in the GTA IV engine and the story was much more interesting and unpredictable.

Indyblue

I liked playing it. I mean, it’s a different type of “fun” than say the smiling joy of a Mario game or something but it was fun nonetheless. Much like watching Tropic Thunder is a different kind of fun than Fury Road, which is a different type of fun than watching Inception - but I love all those movies.

RPSleon

Rdr2 is a game that requires you to play it at its pace. Its enjoyable once you take time in everything and feel okay about not having to progress too quickly.

Its definitely a 'day off work with all chores done and no family about' kinda game. I cant pick it up for a quick blast.

JayK47

Red Dead online is a fucking gold grind. And they completely change the economy. Costs are way up and rewards way down. So you are broke all the damn time. They really want you to spend actual money.

I really enjoyed it for the most part. There is some tedium with it though for sure. The controls are frustrating as fuck whenever a large firefight breaks out and you want to move around. Just feels slow and unresponsive. Also shooting on horseback is still an absolute mess.

Its definitely not a "get in and waste 10 minutes" type of game.
Yep.

I don't mind the character moving around like a tank but why oh why does the gun controls have the same weighty movement.

You pretty much have to spam dead-eye in firefights when you're overwhelmed with targets to hit. In one on one situations I don't need dead-eye or aim assist but fuck me when I'm surrounded my first thought is 'Do I have enough to refill my dead-eye'.

Iced Arcade

One of the best games I played for an entire gen. I find weird people say it was boring... I have the attention span of a goldfish and don't do well with draggy games (I don't play a lot of RPGs for this reason).

Last edited:
Yep.

I don't mind the character moving around like a tank but why oh why does the gun controls have the same weighty movement.

You pretty much have to spam dead-eye in firefights when you're overwhelmed with targets to hit. In one on one situations I don't need dead-eye or aim assist but fuck me when I'm surrounded my first thought is 'Do I have enough to refill my dead-eye'.
That's funny because I rarely used Dead eye on my first play-through. Once you learn how to snap real fast, headshots are super easy with a rifle or repeater. The game gets way too easy once you figure how to effectively head-shot people.

I played till about chapter 4 or 5 can’t remember the exact part, right after the island section. Completely dropped the game, game was boring as hell. The graphics were good enough even on base ps4, overall the game just got tedious and I didn’t want to do another 20 or so hours just doing the same exact missions again.

mcjmetroid

Boring for me.

I like gamey games. A game has gotta have good controls and feel fantastic.

Red dead and alll Rockstar games tend to have pants controls and feel.

That's funny because I rarely used Dead eye on my first play-through. Once you learn how to snap real fast, headshots are super easy with a rifle or repeater. The game gets way too easy once you figure how to effectively head-shot people.
I normally use Dead-Eye in those situations where I am overwhelmed by a group of NPC's in a surprise attack like them jumping out from behind trees or whatever. Otherwise In a normal gunfight where I can see enemies behind cover I won't use Dead-Eye as much as the free aim is good enough.
It's just that when enemies are spaced out from one another that moving your aim between targets without 'snap aiming' to them is really cumbersome. It's not as fluid as a normal run of the mill 3rd person shooter. It's as if the gun weighs a metric ton. Maybe I can adjust that in my controller settings, I dunno. But the default settings feel like this.

I played till about chapter 4 or 5 can’t remember the exact part, right after the island section. Completely dropped the game, game was boring as hell. The graphics were good enough even on base ps4, overall the game just got tedious and I didn’t want to do another 20 or so hours just doing the same exact missions again.
Quit being a pussy. Get back in there and finish it

For those on PC who want to take a break and have a different type of fun, download the J10 RailRoad Engineer mod and then:

- Get onboard a tram in Saint Denis and nudge the conductor so that he runs off scared.
- Hold up to accelerate - getting to 50mph is fairly quick but 70 mph takes longer
- Enjoy watching a tram paint the streets of Saint Denis red and wreak havoc.

Also, the tram you're sitting on will pass through the other trams on the line, but the passengers onboard them will not, so any passengers are essentially put into a 70mph mobile wood chipper.

Last edited:
I normally use Dead-Eye in those situations where I am overwhelmed by a group of NPC's in a surprise attack like them jumping out from behind trees or whatever. Otherwise In a normal gunfight where I can see enemies behind cover I won't use Dead-Eye as much as the free aim is good enough.
It's just that when enemies are spaced out from one another that moving your aim between targets without 'snap aiming' to them is really cumbersome. It's not as fluid as a normal run of the mill 3rd person shooter. It's as if the gun weighs a metric ton. Maybe I can adjust that in my controller settings, I dunno. But the default settings feel like this.
The gameplay is built with snapping in mind. I tried playing without it for a while but felt it was nearly impossible. Their shooting mechanics have been too basic and "easy mode" since GTA4 imo. But yea, I get what you are saying. There is way more weight to the character and guns (which I prefer for the most part) in shooters. I don't like my guns to feel like COD.

Last edited:
For those on PC who want to take a break and have a different type of fun, download the J10 RailRoad Engineer mod and then:

- Get onboard a tram in Saint Denis and nudge the conductor so that he runs off scared.
- Hold up to accelerate - getting to 50mph is fairly quick but 70 mph takes longer
- Enjoy watching a tram paint the streets of Saint Denis red and wreak havoc.

Also, the tram you're sitting on will pass through the other trams on the line, but the passengers onboard them will not, so any passengers are essentially put into a 70mph mobile wood chipper.
748616.jpg

Also want to share this incredible photomode shot by some random dude on Reddit:
display

I spent about 40 hours hunting and doing challenges and I didn't even make it far enough in the story missions to learn how to fish, ha.

So that'll be another 40 hours once I unlock that.

Nah, I sold it right around launch. I started the kingdom hearts games around that time again and enjoyed them much better
I'm pretty much forced to finish it as I've bought it digitally so was unable to unfuck myself by selling it.

Happy I didn't though cause I'm starting to go through my 160+ game library and enjoying some of these games now.

Certinty

Greatest game I’ve ever played by a long way. The open world, story, characters, liveliness, soundtrack, graphics, side missions and what not are just leagues beyond any other game ever made.

I will admit the gunplay is horrible though but besides that I didn’t mind the rest of the gameplay at all.

Masterpiece.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
It’s a good game. Well worth the money I paid for it. It’s open world and NPCs were far more engrossing than Cyberpunk.

I liked first person mode but found myself playing half the game in third person.

I wouldn’t mind a remake of RDR1 (never had a PS3).

People need to resist influence from forums and just play the games.

Trimesh

Banned
I thought it was a wonderful cowboy life simulator, but fell pretty flat as a game. Maybe "boring" is a little harsh, but in any event I rather quickly got to the point where I didn't feel like playing it any more.

Warablo

I had fun hunting all the animals and collecting things, plus all the characters were well written and immersive. Arthur was great.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Loved everything about it, literally couldnt find a fault apart from it ended. Cant wait to replay it but I have a feeling it will get a patch for new consoles so I'm waiting for that, even if MS do their 60fps BC magic on it that'll do

TonyK

It's a masterpiece that requires several (a lot for me) hours to enter on it. But when you enter in the mood of the game and feels what developers have tried to do with this game, you change your perception from boring and clumsy to pure admiration.

As said, it's a masterpiece but it's not fun. It's comparable to some movies: Blade Runner is a masterpiece but it's not fun; Fast & Furious 7 is fun but not a masterpiece.

sephiroth7x

Agree with all your points. I forced myself to finish it but its boring.

It is a technical marvel and the progression of Arthur's character is genuinely superb. Everything else? Boring. Hunting, as good as it is, is boring. Travelling is boring. Even the shoot outs are boring. The story is boring and repetitive. The controls are shocking really when you think about it (the example you use about the circle button and not responding is bang on). I had several moments where I was riding, full speed through the countryside and four thugs jumped out at me. Thing is - I was in full gallop but the game forced me to slow down. It FORCED me to stop for this scripted event that I could have just ridden past. Then, I was shot to shit as I was trying to get off the horse so slowly and instead of jumping off with urgency, he patted the horse before actually trying to get his gun and take cover. I died. Awful.

I know they are purposefully slowing down the game in order to enjoy and soak in the atmosphere and feel of the game but - sorry - it was boring.

RDR2 forgets what its core is. It is a game. It doesn't have to be realistic all the time especially for some movements - anyway - I will rant at this forever so will leave it be.

GymWolf

I've just started a new play through on PC. There's a lot to love, a lot of the usual Rockstar greatness within it. I think its far from a masterpiece though. I actually like the weight of the controls and the way it plays but kept on getting frustrated with the actual level design and story. In regards to level design its like playing in a cage. You can see for miles but you're stuck in this rigid space tackling challenges in the most scripted and boring way imaginable. I would find that type of gameplay a lot more acceptable if these set pieces and levels lasted longer but i feel as soon as the action starts its basically over. There is so much wasted potential with the stealth system along with all these other systems they spent time plugging into the game.

Secondly the story....this is the most confusing to me. People really praise the story with this game. Whilst i applaud the direction and the way it looks and the tone in some spots, its story is muddled and the pacing is awful which sometimes renders it almost incoherent. You have gestures to slow build ups in the character arcs only for these to be dismissed suddenly in a mission. There appears to be weight to these characters at times but in the next act theres suddenly a flippancy surrounding them and these story threads get discarded. Also none of the characters come off as smart or real when they do some of the dumbest shit just to push the story into some exciting action scene. As usual you get the rockstar 'social/historical commentary' sprinkled throughout but as usual (the same with GTA) the writers seem out of their depth.

Red Dead Redemption 2 to me feels like it was developed by great devs all spread out working on their own thing but not communicating with one another properly to bring together a single vision. There are a lot of great systems at work in this game but there appears to be no actual game designers on staff to pull them all together. Then theres Red Dead Online.....possibly the biggest waste of potential in an online game ever.
The story is whatever, arthur's journey as a character is the real treat.

mrmeh

Dull and boring for me 🤷‍♂️ Liked the first one much more. Only played for 3 to 4 hours so I don't know if there's a point after which it becomes fun?

xVodevil

Atmosphere is absolutely lovely, but missions are so limiting it's not fun, a little more freedom without failing a mission would be welcome and so much less annoying.

Top Bottom