• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Do you actually think that this game is fun or do you think that it's boring?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I finished it and it was extremely boring and repetitive. Story was generic too aside from some characters being fantastic. It was too long too.
But I loved death stranding... So it's all subjective.
On the gameplay side, animations were to long, the game slowed you down to much and it was impossible to play without prompts and minimap

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Not boring at all if you enjoy this kind of a slow burn. Left it at 98,5% after around ~280 hrs, a lot of that just messing around.
Mission structure way too linear at times, other than that - nothing comes close in open-world games and nothing probably will until GTAVI.

Spokker

I fire it up from time to time just to ride the train, do some hunting, explore, etc. I found the missions to be very boring and restrictive. The story was fine.

cormack12

Gold Member
I felt like you OP and shelved it at chapter 2, then came back to it. I think it's a very specific type of game, the fail states infuriate me. I went the wrong way on a wagon, had to restart checkpoint. Followed an NPC that pushed me down a cliff, had to restart. The game isn't really meant to be played like a campaign in my opinion, which is why it falls down for many of us. Just wander to your objective and be prepared to be distracted on the way.

I had much more fun when booting up, then picking a few question marks to get through like episodes of a Western. Even the shooting is more of a Western, point and flick with the headshot animation rather than aim, position and shoot. Fast travel, just stick your horse on cinematic mode. Don't return to base after missions, camp instead. Don't forget to scour for herbs to give your food a boost when minted etc.

I don't mind the animations generally, I find it more frustrating waiting for the animations to trigger. Hittch Horse, 3 seconds before Arthur slides the horse into the right place, then dismounts and then hitches. It just adds latency onto every action. Like looting isn't the problem, it's the delay as Arthur gets into position to do the looting and stands there for a couple of seconds first. I'm now on chapter 6 and some missions have been wild, like the tobacco fields etc. Sadie Adler is a great character as well as Dutch and Hosea etc.

nowhat

The epilogue chapters were even worse.
For someone like me who hasn't played the original, also completely unnecessary and unwanted.

And agreed with the clunky controls and terrible looting. There are bits of fun in there for sure, but getting to it can be really tedious.

I tried the game on GamePass, because lots of my friends told me it's such an amazing experience. Usually I'm not into cowboys and horses, but with GamePass you have nothing to lose.

The first chapter is soooooo slow. But, it's set in a snowy area and that of course causes the slow movement. Right? No. It's slow throughout the whole game. And you have to travel way too far between points of interest. And there's no fast travel? Or I couldn't find it... It's really a beautiful game with great voice actors, but as a game it's not for me. Not in the least because I just came from Xenoblade DE which is so streamlined as an open world game. I liked that world a lot more.

cormack12

Gold Member
I tried the game on GamePass, because lots of my friends told me it's such an amazing experience. Usually I'm not into cowboys and horses, but with GamePass you have nothing to lose.

The first chapter is soooooo slow. But, it's set in a snowy area and that of course causes the slow movement. Right? No. It's slow throughout the whole game. And you have to travel way too far between points of interest. And there's no fast travel? Or I couldn't find it... It's really a beautiful game with great voice actors, but as a game it's not for me. Not in the least because I just came from Xenoblade DE which is so streamlined as an open world game. I liked that world a lot more.

Yeah reminds of the tedium of the AC3 opening, just completely deflated your hype as you're moving through glue when you're meant to be getting hooked.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Too many great things about the game to dislike it.
Yeah it's slow.
But that voice acting, those animations, that gore, those sounds, that story, Tahiti, I could go on.

nowhat

And there's no fast travel? Or I couldn't find it...
You have to upgrade your camp a bit (can't recall for who though). But it's like a half of a fast travel - you can fast travel to a destination, but only from the camp, after that it's either on horseback or your feet.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I very much enjoyed it, though there were moments throughout where I was fed up with the controlls/animations.

And the worst thing: That stupid, rigid Rockstar mission structure that needs to be put out of it‘s misery. One wrong step and mission is over, cause it is on rails. As well as the constant ride here while listening to dialogue, kill people, ride back listening to dialogue.

Oh and fuck the whole island filler part.
Did you notice much difference? Wondered this myself.

The Xbox One X version is sharper and has more vibrant colors. However, even though the difference is noticeable, I still think that the game looks great on the PS4 Pro and enjoy playing it on that console; I played it today on the PS4 Pro for several hours.

cormack12

Gold Member
You have to upgrade your camp a bit (can't recall for who though). But it's like a half of a fast travel - you can fast travel to a destination, but only from the camp, after that it's either on horseback or your feet.

FYI, you can also fast travel if you camp in the wild as well. But yeah, you can't just open the map and hop about.

The Xbox One X version is sharper and has more vibrant colors. However, even though the difference is noticeable, I still think that the game looks great on the PS4 Pro and enjoy playing it on that console; I played it today on the PS4 Pro for several hours.

Can't speak to the X version but I find the Pro version a bit 'smeary' and HDR hit and miss.

jigglet

Banned
I always thought Rockstar games had trash controls. But people always defended them.

Then RDR2 came out and even the die hard supporters were criticising the controls.

And then...

I learned they started the game out in the fucking snow. Trudging. Through. Thick. Snow.

At this point I thought they were just taking the piss. I fully expected the second part to be set underwater.

Sigh

Last edited:

StonedRider

I've played this game on PC with controller for about 100 hours and really enjoyed it. Hunting, playing poker, riding trains, listening to interesting conversations in camps, impersonating noble cowboy who wants to help people.

Want to replay it eventually after upgrading my system to 4K (PC, receiver, TV). Will roleplay as a shameless criminal who kills innocents over a couple of dollars.

Hostile_18

Banned

Interesting. Do you play on different tvs? Surely the colours should be the same? 😊

BluRayHiDef

Banned
FYI, you can also fast travel if you camp in the wild as well. But yeah, you can't just open the map and hop about.

Can't speak to the X version but I find the Pro version a bit 'smeary' and HDR hit and miss.

When I first played the game, I thought that it looked smeary as well. However, it hasn't looked that way to me for several months now; I don't know if it's due to a system update or what, but I recall noting recently that it looks much better than it previously did.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
That's really strange, why would they colour grade the games differently 🤯. Must have something to do with the poor HDR implementation (which is broken, no pure blacks).

I think that it's due to the PS4 Pro version running at a native resolution of 1920 x 2160 (which is upscaled to 4K via checkerboard rendering) and the Xbox One X version running at native 4K. This difference results in less unique pixels in the PS4 Pro version, which effects color density (and overall detail density) since pixels are literally colored dots.

nowhat

I think RDR 2 is a prime example of how saying that a game uses $RECONSTRUCTION_METHOD means very little when it comes to image quality, it's the implementation that counts. And here the implementation is bad, no denying it. That doesn't mean such methods are unable to produce great results (although native is still obviously better).

And yeah, the HDR is borked. I ended up turning it off because it just made things look worse.

Just entered Chapter 2 and I'm completely overwhelmed by all mechanics. I have no idea what to do next. It might not be the game for me. Also, everything feels incredibly slow. Especially movement.

I enjoyed it but I took my time and did what I wanted, I thought the main Arthur took a little time to warm up to but by the middle of the game I was sold and towards the end wow I really liked him. I know it's controversial but I love that Rockstar uses Euphoria for it's physics, I do think it'd be great if they made it so the characters we control are more responsive to our commands but still allowed everyone and everything in the world to interact with us in the same way. I know it's childish but I love running into people and knocking them down, especially when they are leaning on a rail or standing in mud :) Also pushing people down the stairs or bumping into them hard enough to watch them tumble in GTAIV lol.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Funny thing, I could barely get through the intro, it was like walking through glue.. Kinda hated the feeling it gave me. So I just simply abandoned the game. After two or so months I randomly gave it another try. But instead of following the story OCD-style I just did whatever I wanted, whatever first thing that came to my mind, mostly exploring the fantastic environments and life within. Suddenly I was hooked, and I slowly started paying attention to details and the story again. To my surprise I loved the experience. I ended up greatly enjoying the game in the end.

Last edited:
I think you just need to go into it with the right mindset.

It's gonna take a lot of time, so don't bother rushing anything. Just wander around like you're a bandit and see what the world throws at you.

I enjoyed the game. Always something to do, some strange encounter, maybe catch a fish or shoot a deer to see how that works, traverse a mine, have a look around at the visuals. Shoot fuckers in the face.

Boring with bad controls.
I often put the horse riding in cinematic mode where it rides itself to the choosen mission and was washing dishes or cleaning the floor during the ride.

SCB3

I slogged through it on a PS4 Pro at release and it really can be a drag at times, the story was pushing me through and I really wanted to see if the rumor of RDR1 being hidden at the end was true. After I did the Epilogue, I didn't touch it or Online again (the MTX on there is ridiculous, everything costs far too much)

However, I am currently replaying the PC version in 4k and really enjoying taking my time with it, but I'm only limiting myself to a few hours at a time to do a few missions, a few animal hunts, bounty hunts etc, just to upgrade and go for 100%.

I feel this is the best way to play as it reduces the slowness of the game slightly and becomes more relaxing, it is a fantastic world to be in, I don't mind the controls too much and there are settings in the menu to make it more modern such as clicking the Left stick to spring rather than tapping A. I will say though, KB&M controls are pretty shit and so much stuff is not bonded like a controller.

Also a special shoutout to Noah Cadwell Gervais' video on the Red Dead series as it was this video that convinced me to give the PC version another try:

Yes I think this game is a lot of fun but I am bias in that I dreamt of being a cowboy eating beans by the fire with Billy the kid lol. In all serious I can see the slow nature of the game boring to people, but I loved the depth of the story, the gunplay, the characters, and pretty much everything about it. after GOT I will probably do a 3rd playthrough and play it even slower just living as Arthur.

KemoSabe

I played it for like 10 hours and stopped...
It was just boring, tedious and slow as hell.
Nothing for me personally

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Did you notice much difference? Wondered this myself.

Here are some screen captures that I directly from each version of the game.

Xbox One X Version:

oIPxgir.jpg

PlayStation 4 Pro Version:

h822nOw.jpg

Dazrael

The game is unfortunately a victim of the TL;DR generation, people wanting an immediate hook to get involved. Something fast paced to push their attention on as promptly as possible to get to the end. This game doesn’t behave like that.

It’s meant to encapsulate the slow burn of a cowboy’s life and his time interacting with everything in the world. It’s meant to be slow paced. And that is probably it’s greatest asset. I loved the pace of the game, letting it wash over me and taking in as much as I could. It’s the antithesis to GTA in that regard. It took me ages to finish it and it was time well spent, bravo to Rockstar for making a game like this nowadays.

Played for 8 hours. Hated it, and hated the terrible controls. Yet the previous game is one of my all time favourites. The 10/10 reviews across the board were comical.

Its more than just fun, but it probably helps to enjoy the setting, TLOU1/2 are decent enough games but the setting for me is dull and empty, The witcher 3 is an amazing game and the setting is ideal for what i like, RDR is also.

To some people this will be the other way around, im still playing TLOU2 but as far as the story goes i aint a fan, the gfx are great as are the combat mechanics, i do feel RDR2 does it all bigger and better.

RDR2 10/10
TLOU1 9/10
Witcher3 10/10
TLOU2 7/10 (so far)

Last edited:
i wanted to get RDR2 on pc but the frames on this game SUCKS DICKS IN HELL even with a high end gpu

if it were at least 60 fps on ultra at least i can enjoy smooth roaming and scenery

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I finished it recently after coming back to it after 2 years. The key was focus on missions and leave the world stuff because you’ll never finish. It was quite a ride. I liked at. From voice acting to writing, it was honestly holywood movie level for me. Rockstar does this best. It was worth it for me in the end for the story alone.

I definitely found it to be a tedious game, but what I really couldn't stand was the story. I fucking hated Micah, and would have killed that stupid asshole countless times if given the chance, but I was always forced to go along with whatever completely senseless idea he and Dutch cooked up.

I totally agree with the person who said it reminds them of GTA 4. They tried to make it a lot more realistic than the prior installment(s), and the result was a game that just isn't as fun, in my opinion. San Andreas will probably always be my favorite GTA game, but it's not a very realistic game, just a fun one.

amigastar

I love Rockstar games but honestly i never finished RDR 2. GTA series has much more advantages (Radiostations, Cars, Weapons, modern cities) so i love it more. RDR 2 wasn't a bad game but it don't have the things i mentioned like GTA V has

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Most games have an opening level tutorial before they let you off the leash... Red Dead Redemption 2 takes FOREVER to let you off the leash. The opening hours really are a slog, and I believe that colours peoples opinion of the whole game (which becomes really fun from the drunken Lenny mission onwards).

Skyr

Rarely was I that divided on a game like I was with RDR2.

I absolutely adore RDR1, so I went into 2 with high enthusiasm and also big expectations.
And these expecations were almost all fully met and partially exceeded.

After finishing the the game, I was satisfied, but there were two things that I really didn't like.

First and foremost it's the incredibly tedious and lengthy animation times for reoccuring gameplay moments, like looting or just moving around in the world.
I understand that they did this with good intentions, as they wanted to perfect every single animation to look as lifelike as possible.
But in my opinion they overshot by a whole lot, which makes the controlls feel like walking through mud.
Sure, it fits the slow west theme, but RDR1 already had a good balance between animations and responsive controls. All they had to do, is stay in the range of that.

The second point I didn't like is the mission structure and design.
Not because it was worse than in RDR1, or all the previous GTA titles. But because simply nothing changed ever since.
There is no evolution in design and freedom in the mission structure.
It still feels like you are on rails and one little deviation from the given path will derail the whole thing.
I get that it's difficult to do something about it and keep the narrative alive at the same time, but they have to find a way to evolve and improve upon that formula.
I think I'm not alone with that opinion and hope ROCKSTAR is able to improve upon that with GTA6.

All in all I still love RDR2 as a whole experience.
The thing is, that the points mentioned above are discouraging me to go back and replay the game..
I often find myself firing up the game, to just stroll around a bit and enjoy the amazing world. Basically just abusing it as a walking simulator.
I never have the desire to replay actual missions.
I think I would rather replay RDR1 a fourth time before that.

TimFL

It's my favorite game of this gen, I'm heavily into the simulation RPG games. I'm usually heavily against walking simulators but RDR2 does it so nicely, cause there is a gigantic open world with plethora of things to do in next to the more linear story missions.
That's also my pet peeve with TLOU2: it's the new walking simulator status quo for me because it had only 1 semi-open world part early on, the rest was on rails with a few corners you could take.

RDR2 has that perfect mix of limitless open world and linear story paths... the story is also entertaining so it leaves you craving for more instead of making it feel like a drag. I really hope they go for a similar formula with the next GTA, although I think they'll turn up the chaos again for the next installment (RDR2 grounded world doesn't work with GTA).

Top Bottom