• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 is almost a perfect game for me. (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!)

Stafford

This is gonna be long, but I hope you'll stick with me.

I bought the game at launch but the problem was that I was deep into The Witcher 3 as well, and after that game @ 100% plus the first expansion, well, you could say open world fatique set in big time.

When I finally did start with RDR2 I kept being sidetracked from the story and then after a while put it down. As much as I love this game, and Witcher 3, for some reason they were easy to put down and for a long time too. Until earlier this year and decided it was time to really finish this bad boy.

The story itself isn't even that amazing, but it's the way it's told. The characters and how you'll bond with them , the voice acting, the music, my god the music at times. The visuals, the world itself and all the insane details in it.

SPOILERS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kinda like Game of Thrones, I guess you shouldn't bond too much with characters because they can be dead in the next scene. Take Sean for example, I jumped up from the couch when that happened. Did not see that coming at all and just for a second or two I sat still on my couch, kinda shocked, lol.

And then when you really didn't expect it in a much later part while talking to Dutch a horse comes walking with the head of Kieran. What the hell man, I really didn't like this because I wanted to have more missions, more talking with him because he seemed like a cool dude. At the same time I do like how randomly this happened, no big dramatic cutscene or mission where it happens, it's just there out of nowhere.

Or when Hosea got killed, I kept hoping the lawman wouldn't do it, but they just did and that was it for good old Hosea. And right during freaking gameplay they end Lenny, not even a cutscene, no time to even mourn, crazy. But what really destroyed me was when Arthur visited the doctor, he had already not been looking too good since the island, but still.

From that point on you play as a dying man, and jesus this hit me hard. Maybe because I've had a lot of loved ones dying, maybe because I'm getting older like we all are, but I think especially because I had started to bond a great deal with Arthur. You do spend tons of hours playing as the guy and he's far from dislikeable. Actually a very likeable outlaw, and despite his crimes he does have a heart.

And then during missions and after most missions you see and hear him getting sicker. His voice starts to get rougher, he increasingly looks sicker and sicker, I noticed how he became skinnier too. But that could be because for some reason I wasn't able to get his weight back to normal, no matter how much I fed him. I loved how u got the option more during stranger missions to actually help them, make things right for Edith Downes and her son. I love how it wasn't cheesy, Arthur made it clear he didn't want any forgiveness, just for Edith to set away her pride, accept the money and have a better life.

I just love how we get some stranger missions only popping up at that point, because they make sense. Like the hunter guy. Or the way we learn about how he had a son when he spoke to Rains Fall. I adore the parts where Arthur just rides to a certain place and music kicks in, goosebumps all over man. Like the part where he gets back to Van Horn after visiting Guarma and he has to ride to Shady Belle to check on the gang, the song Unshaken kicks in and this stuff is just bliss.

Way later when he and Sadie have saved Abigail and he tells them to go, you have to ride to the Beaver Hollow camp to confront Dutch and Micac, we get beautiful music again, this time we hear words from the people we've helped out, we hear the doctor giving Arthur the diagnosis. I am not gonna lie, this stuff got me teary eyed 100%, this part destroyed me a bit. Later when the horse dies and Arthur goes back and thanks him, that got me too. And of course when he breaths his last breath while looking at the sky and Unshaken again playing.....it ruined me.

I cannot think of many games that affected me this much. I absolutely got some tears when I was at the ending of MGS3 back when I was much younger but I can't think of much else. It's almost a day after and I'm still like "fuck man!". Rockstar could have decided to just have Arthur killed in action and then you switch over to John but the way they handled this is magnificent. For a mission he had to be rough with a man that was already extremely sick, this man pretty much signed his death sentence too.

Arthur is easily Rockstar's best protagonist ever for me. I remember the first trailer where he seemed like a douchebag, I couldn't have been more wrong. I don't want to write a book here so I'll just say what for me is the bit that keeps it from being a perfect game. It's the story missions. Some very cool ones, but if the player had been given a bit more input, more options to take on these objectives, that would have made it perfect. You know, maybe some immersive sim elements like Dishonored and Prey allowed for. I also can't deny that at times it did become a bit of a slog, but that could also be because I wanted to do everything the game has to offer. Every single mission, hunt every animal to get every outfit, every challenge and so on. In hindsight I wish I had ignored the non mission stuff and just went 100% for (story) missions only.

So I'm at the epilogue now, please no spoilers about any of this. But man, what an experience overall it has been. Rest in peace Arthur, for goddamn sure.

Stafford

Every rdr2 thread :

Story/graphics : tl;dr essay

Gameplay :

Except I did go there when I talked about mission design.

I didn't go into gameplay much more because I don't want to write a book here. I often see complaints about gameplay and I don't agree at all. The complaints about sluggish movement, while true are no issues at all for me. The fact that there's weight to the character is something I've always appreciated from Rockstar.

The complaints about the gunplay too, I don't get it. This is their best gunplay yet, extremely satisfying to use the weapons and seeing enemies fall dead in a realistic way. Boy are the physics SO much better than GTA 5. It's fun as hell just riding on your horse, taking in the scenery. The hunting is fantastic, I genuinely hope that if GTA 6 has hunting that it will be at least as well done as RDR2.

I've spent some crazy hours solely hunting or just "living" in this world. That should tell you something about the gameplay, because you wouldn't do that if the gameplay was no good.

Last edited:

Pejo

I didn't find most of it very "fun" from a videogame standpoint, but it's the best damn cowboy simulator you could ask for. Immersive as hell too. The "first" one with Marston was better as a videogame.

By the way, it's been a few years since I played, is there a good "wanted"' mod yet that has realistic expectations for you getting caught doing crimes and hounded by the law? When I last played there was the "default" setting where there was always an annoying passerby somehow when you did something bad, or there was turning it basically off so that you could do whatever with no consequence. The wanted system was actually what made it unfun a lot of the time. They give you all of these options and gameplay systems and then force you into doing only the "right" things or else you get swarmed by every pinkerton in the continental US.

I've spent some crazy hours solely hunting or just "living" in this world. That should tell you something about the gameplay, because you wouldn't do that if the gameplay was no good.
Counterpoint - Animal Crossing and Minecraft.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I didn't find most of it very "fun" from a videogame standpoint, but it's the best damn cowboy simulator you could ask for. Immersive as hell too. The "first" one with Marston was better as a videogame.

By the way, it's been a few years since I played, is there a good "wanted"' mod yet that has realistic expectations for you getting caught doing crimes and hounded by the law? When I last played there was the "default" setting where there was always an annoying passerby somehow when you did something bad, or there was turning it basically off so that you could do whatever with no consequence. The wanted system was actually what made it unfun a lot of the time. They give you all of these options and gameplay systems and then force you into doing only the "right" things or else you get swarmed by every pinkerton in the continental US.

Counterpoint - Animal Crossing and Minecraft.
Yea, they're not just spawning cops , they're even spawning witness out of nowhere .

Stafford

You guys are right. There are some typical Rockstar things in here that should have been addressed. It indeed sucks that you can't really rob a train without the law being alerted (who alerts them so fast?) and the spawning of eye witness is something I had not noticed, I always thought I was just unlucky with a NPC happening to pass by, guess it is randomly spawning then, lol.

All their games have had this. GTA 5 was even more crazy with it. In the middle of nowhere except for some houses, if you attacked someone you'd still get a wanted star. I guess those windows have eyes? Let's hope they truly make some huge and much needed changes to that in 6.

bbeach123

I didn't go into gameplay much more because I don't want to write a book here. I often see complaints about gameplay and I don't agree at all. The complaints about sluggish movement, while true are no issues at all for me. The fact that there's weight to the character is something I've always appreciated from Rockstar.

The complaints about the gunplay too, I don't get it. This is their best gunplay yet, extremely satisfying to use the weapons and seeing enemies fall dead in a realistic way. Boy are the physics SO much better than GTA 5. It's fun as hell just riding on your horse, taking in the scenery. The hunting is fantastic, I genuinely hope that if GTA 6 has hunting that it will be at least as well done as RDR2.

Its fine my dude , im just memeing . Still one of my favorite game of all time .

Zimmy68

I haven't touched the game in years. Never finished it. I think I am at the riverboat gambling mission (or right after).
My worry is having to relearn the controls.
I need to find a video that goes through the basics.

I agree, I think it's easily one of the best games ever.
I like the feel of the controls, they make the character feel weighty, and I think that's how these weapons would handle in real life in my head at least.
Story and characters are all great, no other game like it other than the first game.

Matt_Fox

The few hours I put into this were some of the mostly tediously slow and boring time I’ve ever spent with a game.

The first 3-4 hours of this game are.... SLOW. Literally wading through snow slow.

It's got lots of tutorial, hand holding, forced walking, all the things gamers hate. And then once the training wheels are off... it gets really damn good.

That's the reason why for myself it's a 'one and done' game. I truly did enjoy it but wont be replaying it.

Stafford

The first 3-4 hours of this game are.... SLOW. Literally wading through snow slow.

It's got lots of tutorial, hand holding, forced walking, all the things gamers hate. And then once the training wheels are off... it gets really damn good.

That's the reason why for myself it's a 'one and done' game. I truly did enjoy it but wont be replaying it.

For me it was the perfect prologue, absolutely love how they get you in the game. But I do get why some don't like it.

Matt_Fox

For me it was the perfect prologue, absolutely love how they get you in the game. But I do get why some don't like it.

First impressions do count and stick with you. I think the treacle-like prologue is the reason why so many people say RDR2 is slow or has bad gameplay. It's a hot take and its not true for the vast majority of the game (and if you do indeed play right through then, it's such a long game that the somewhat tedious first 4 hours end up being relatively insignificant).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Such a great game that you guys need to make a thread every week to validate your opinions.

Oh boy.

I will grant you that it has very satisfying hit reactions and sound effects. ( That was enough for me to at least finish the game)

BUT! That it is literally the only thing it has going for it. Everything elese is literally bottom of the barrel awful. From the piss poor enemy variety, to the terrible linear mission design, to the meaningless choices you have in combat.

You can beat the game by staying behind the same piece of cover and playing whack a mole likely without ever having to change weapon.

Even my casual friend beat most of the game without using cover until the final mission.

I personally staggered this game got 97 on metacritic and at least some critics didn't find this an issue.

Obviously it does other things well but these were massive red flags for me that I can't put it above a 7/10

TTOOLL

It's almost perfect. People try to play it as an action game and end up criticizing the gameplay.
It's a freaking simulator, people!! Play as if you're living that time, hunt your game, cook your food etc...

Playing it again with the port only confirms for me that the gameplay in RDR1 is miles better than RDR2.

Even simple shit like calling your horse.

RDR2: Your horse got left behind somewhere? Fuck you, walk.

RDR1: Your horse got left behind somewhere? We'll spawn it behind you when you whistle.

Last edited:

acm2000

im the opposite, ive nearly finished it and find it very over rated

its the best 3d world in a video game? by far, but the story is dull, same thing over and over "just one more score!" fail, repeat about a million times.

campaign missions are incredibly restrictive, go 1mm off where it wants you to be? FAIL, try actually loot the corpses? FAIL

Stafford

Such a great game that you guys need to make a thread every week to validate your opinions.

OK, cool cool.

Or perhaps, stick with me because it's kinda crazy, I know......

I'm just super enthusiastic about it and wanted to share my excitement and enthusiasm with fellow people. Maybe I wanted to discuss it with those that did finish and appreciate it.

Also, nobody is forcing you into this thread. Right?

saintjules

Didn't feel compelled to finish it. I found the controls were off-putting during my time with it. May go back, but I doubt it because it's a long game I felt.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Great game, but the diversion off to that tropical island is one of the single worst narrative sideways lurches I've ever seen. Arthur's character arc is a masterpiece, but there's a few bad story telling decisions that place it below RDR 1.

amigastar

I'm currently playing it again because at my first try i wasn't impressed very much. But this time i really love the game. Never been a big fan of the Red Dead Redemption franchise but now i really enjoy it.

mortal

Gold Member
I enjoyed the gameplay. Shooting and riding horses and exploring, all of it was fun.
Same.

I think the most fair criticism of RDR2 is the discrepancy between the very liner mission structure and the freedom of the openworld.
Applying the ethos of freedom to the missions by giving players choice in how to creatively tackle and complete missions would've made it even more enjoyable imo.

Thank god somebody said it.

The few hours I put into this were some of the mostly tediously slow and boring time I’ve ever spent with a game.
I mean that's the point of the game though. It's literally the ONLY game outside of maybe Last of Us Part 2 that actually attempts to simulate nearly every movement a real human can make. And it does a damn good job at it.

So it's entirely subjective, like another person said in this thread, if you want more of a game RDR1 is for you. RDR2 however is more of just a cowboy/hunting/camping simulator with a pretty in depth, though predictable.

This is obvious because it's a prequel but I'm just not the biggest fan of Rockstar telling me that Arthur is a good character. They never really did this with John in the first game, he was far more morally ambiguous. So at the end when he gets plastered by the sheriffs you can't really say whether he deserved it or not. Being evil as John fits him so much more than the soft spoken character that Arthur is. When I commit crimes as Arthur I just kind of feel bad for Arthur because it doesn't really reflect what his character becomes by the end. . It's kind of hard to explain but maybe someone will understand what I mean.

But, though I've only played through the story completely once, I've spent hours and hours just living in the world. Camping out and easting some beans at night, pitching a tent, waking up and boiling some coffee, maybe go hunting while it's cooking, come back pour some coffee out, then skin my kill, cook some meat for breakfast, cook another piece for the road, break down camping and continue on to the next place to explore. Over the years I've actually been mapping out every potential camping spot on the map. Not sure if anyone else has done this because it's not explained anywhere.

its the best 3d world in a video game? by far, but the story is dull, same thing over and over "just one more score!" fail, repeat about a million times.

campaign missions are incredibly restrictive, go 1mm off where it wants you to be? FAIL, try actually loot the corpses? FAIL
Yep the story is it's down fall to me. That's why I've ignored it for like 30-40 hours and just leave the main camp at horseshoe overlook and go exploring.

amigastar

What i've noticed is that Voice acting was probably a little bit easier than in GTA V since most of the conversations happens on a horse. Not much to animate there, right?

Stafford

I agree, I think it's easily one of the best games ever.
I like the feel of the controls, they make the character feel weighty, and I think that's how these weapons would handle in real life in my head at least.
Story and characters are all great, no other game like it other than the first game.

Exactly! It actually makes going back to Witcher 3 or way, way worse AC Origins very hard. It's like you slide over the ground in ACO, weightless. I hope Rockstar sticks to this and doesn't cave to criticism. But it's had weight since GTA IV, they won't change it.

Oh boy.

I will grant you that it has very satisfying hit reactions and sound effects. ( That was enough for me to at least finish the game)

BUT! That it is literally the only thing it has going for it. Everything elese is literally bottom of the barrel awful. From the piss poor enemy variety, to the terrible linear mission design, to the meaningless choices you have in combat.

You can beat the game by staying behind the same piece of cover and playing whack a mole likely without ever having to change weapon.

Even my casual friend beat most of the game without using cover until the final mission.

I personally staggered this game got 97 on metacritic and at least some critics didn't find this an issue.

Obviously it does other things well but these were massive red flags for me that I can't put it above a 7/10

You fight the gangs, you fight the law, you meet some messed up folks like the Murfree Brood guys, or those creeps in the swamp. What kind of variety would you have wanted? I agree about story missions, could have used more depth, more player input.

I disagree about being able to stay in the same piece of cover, because a lot of cover is actually destroyed during gun battles and you do get hit and enemies try to flank you. Quite good AI here. I am also using free aim, auto aim makes it a cakewalk and I don't want that.
It's almost perfect. People try to play it as an action game and end up criticizing the gameplay.
It's a freaking simulator, people!! Play as if you're living that time, hunt your game, cook your food etc...

100%

Live in this game. I sure did. Actually in the first hours (at second camp) I went back to the camp after a mission to talk to the gang members, hear their conversations since this is so well done. Later it became a chore to constantly do this, but then I'd set up camp, cook and eat meat. Sleep. In the morning I'd make coffee, feed the horse and back to hunting or missions or just exploring.
Playing it again with the port only confirms for me that the gameplay in RDR1 is miles better than RDR2.

Even simple shit like calling your horse.

RDR2: Your horse got left behind somewhere? Fuck you, walk.

RDR1: Your horse got left behind somewhere? We'll spawn it behind you when you whistle.

With RDR2 they went for realism and only when your horse is very far away it won't listen to you, also by bonding with the horse the distance increases. It was never an annoyance for me. What other gameplay aspects are better in 1? It's a long ass time since I played and finished that. If it wasn't for Starfield on September 6 I would replay RDR.

I agree. The story itself isn't anything revolutionary, but the way it's told is super well done. They definitely could have brought better variety in the main story and in the main missions. I have been able to loot plenty of people during missions, during the missions where you go attack Bronte in his mansion? I went outside and loot everyone.
Great game, but the diversion off to that tropical island is one of the single worst narrative sideways lurches I've ever seen. Arthur's character arc is a masterpiece, but there's a few bad story telling decisions that place it below RDR 1.

Yeah, the island was odd. At first I loved it, what I don't love is that you can't properly explore it because of how wanted you are. I kept hoping it would let me explore after everything story wise was finished there, but nope. It was a bit odd and coincidental for them to strand on that island and with everything happening to go on there. I didn't dislike it though, plenty action.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Same.

I think the most fair criticism of RDR2 is the discrepancy between the very liner mission structure and the freedom of the openworld.
Applying the ethos of freedom to the missions by giving players choice in how to creatively tackle and complete missions would've made it even more enjoyable imo.

The biggest complaint I saw is that you push a button and Author does the whole animation. You figure that out in about 10 minutes of play. The only thing that ever confused me in the beginning was how to stick out my gun and not shoot. Early on I accidently killed people.

Kabelly

My biggest problem with the game is, yes, the gameplay Except the real complaint I have is having way too many contexual prompts that can finicky in an area with lots of prompts available. Picking up hats, weapons and people can get annoying because the prompts can't figure out which one to choose as you move slightly.

You can't even use you melee weapons or fists unless you're near a person. Arthur will just shake his fist slightly when you try to punch in the air. There's a magnetism that appears when you're near someone. Removes a lot of play agency.

Plus I despise the notion that Athur's movement is "realisic," "natural" or "grounded. I want you to get up and grab a can from your cupboard. I guarantee it doesn't take the speed of molases to do such a task. Unless you weigh 500lbs humans can move with a lot more nimbleness. There always feels like there's a disconnect with what I am doing on my controller and how long it takes Artur to even just start an animation. So many times you hold "pick up" or "open drawer" and Arthur will takes a few moments just to adjust himself to face the object in a perfect direction.

All that said the story still compelled me to still complete it. Also the graphics are just so damn mesmerizing I could fish forever.

Been playing the first Red Dead and the game and it actually feels more natural because my actions on my controller instantly correspond to John's movements. Also weapons tied to John is so much better. Tying it to the horse was a big mistake imo.

Stafford

I mean that's the point of the game though. It's literally the ONLY game outside of maybe Last of Us Part 2 that actually attempts to simulate nearly every movement a real human can make. And it does a damn good job at it.

So it's entirely subjective, like another person said in this thread, if you want more of a game RDR1 is for you. RDR2 however is more of just a cowboy/hunting/camping simulator with a pretty in depth, though predictable.

This is obvious because it's a prequel but I'm just not the biggest fan of Rockstar telling me that Arthur is a good character. They never really did this with John in the first game, he was far more morally ambiguous. So at the end when he gets plastered by the sheriffs you can't really say whether he deserved it or not. Being evil as John fits him so much more than the soft spoken character that Arthur is. When I commit crimes as Arthur I just kind of feel bad for Arthur because it doesn't really reflect what his character becomes by the end. . It's kind of hard to explain but maybe someone will understand what I mean.

But, though I've only played through the story completely once, I've spent hours and hours just living in the world. Camping out and easting some beans at night, pitching a tent, waking up and boiling some coffee, maybe go hunting while it's cooking, come back pour some coffee out, then skin my kill, cook some meat for breakfast, cook another piece for the road, break down camping and continue on to the next place to explore. Over the years I've actually been mapping out every potential camping spot on the map. Not sure if anyone else has done this because it's not explained anywhere.

The thing is, Arthur is still very aware of the many bad things he's done. He makes it very clear to Edith he isn't seeking forgiveness. But right from the start of the game you can notice that he has a caring side to him. When he has just visited the Downes ranch where he met the sick man and had to get the debts for Strauss back you can notice from him talking, the music that he isn't fond at all of doing these kind of jobs. Especially when you read his journal it gives more context to it. Had it been Micah that we play as he wouldn't have given a shit, probably would have enjoyed it.

When strangers tell him that he's a good man Arthur really doesn't want to hear it. Or the nun in Saint Denis, during their final conversation she tells him some stuff that really makes sense. Arthur may think he's no good, but he's sure been doing some really good deeds for those in need. And i like how this didn't come all of a sudden after he heard the diagnosis, he has had good in him since the first moment.

As for cooking and then while it cooks doing some hunting, hold on. You can do this? Because I was only aware of cooking the meat with A button held down and then stowing it away or eating it. You can let meat cook and while that happens go hunting? How? :)
My biggest problem with the game is, yes, the gameplay Except the real complaint I have is having way too many contexual prompts that can finicky in an area with lots of prompts available. Picking up hats, weapons and people can get annoying because the prompts can't figure out which one to choose as you move slightly.

You can't even use you melee weapons or fists unless you're near a person. Arthur will just shake his fist slightly when you try to punch in the air. There's a magnetism that appears when you're near someone. Removes a lot of play agency.

Plus I despise the notion that Athur's movement is "realisic," "natural" or "grounded. I want you to get up and grab a can from your cupboard. I guarantee it doesn't take the speed of molases to do such a task. Unless you weigh 500lbs humans can move with a lot more nimbleness. There always feels like there's a disconnect with what I am doing on my controller and how long it takes Artur to even just start an animation. So many times you hold "pick up" or "open drawer" and Arthur will takes a few moments just to adjust himself to face the object in a perfect direction.

All that said the story still compelled me to still complete it. Also the graphics are just so damn mesmerizing I could fish forever.

Been playing the first Red Dead and the game and it actually feels more natural because my actions on my controller instantly correspond to John's movements. Also weapons tied to John is so much better. Tying it to the horse was a big mistake imo.

You have perfectly valid points here. Those action do indeed take a lot of time and probably are not super realistic, but it never annoyed me. You'd think it would but it just didn't. I'd go exploring, entering cabins and go through every drawer, cabinet etc and pick up the items one by one. You can hold down the button and he'll pick up everything in reach, so that's cool. There is something calming about this, hard to explain but in this game I can take it, it's in no way an annoyance.

At the same time I absolutely understand that not everyone would think the same.
Welcome to the posse, Stafford Stafford

RDR2 is in my top 3 of all time. A proper work of art.

Thank you. :)

Oh yes, absolutely art. If GTA 6 has the same kind of attention to detail (even better, more), same fun shooting, same great physics or better, tons of side content AND very memorable and likeable characters......we're in for a treat. But something tells me that RDR2 is a once in a lifetime game when it comes to such memorable characters from this studio, especially so the protagonist.

oji-san

Banned
There is no gameplay... said those who didn't enjoy the game.
The way you kill enemies or even the way you hunt and the poor animal twitch before dying, the strangers mission like bounties or random events, upgrading and buying new weapons.
There is no gameplay i liked you should say.

The thing is, Arthur is still very aware of the many bad things he's done. He makes it very clear to Edith he isn't seeking forgiveness. But right from the start of the game you can notice that he has a caring side to him. When he has just visited the Downes ranch where he met the sick man and had to get the debts for Strauss back you can notice from him talking, the music that he isn't fond at all of doing these kind of jobs. Especially when you read his journal it gives more context to it. Had it been Micah that we play as he wouldn't have given a shit, probably would have enjoyed it.

When strangers tell him that he's a good man Arthur really doesn't want to hear it. Or the nun in Saint Denis, during their final conversation she tells him some stuff that really makes sense. Arthur may think he's no good, but he's sure been doing some really good deeds for those in need. And i like how this didn't come all of a sudden after he heard the diagnosis, he has had good in him since the first moment.

As for cooking and then while it cooks doing some hunting, hold on. You can do this? Because I was only aware of cooking the meat with A button held down and then stowing it away or eating it. You can let meat cook and while that happens go hunting? How? :)
Yea that's what I mean about Arthur though I like playing as him cause he has a cool stereotypical Cowboy voice but from the beginning you understand that he has more of a heart than John does in the first game. I just think it works a lot better in the first one because John simply doesn't give a fuck about anyone or anything equally. So playing a good or bad character is more up to the player rather than in RDR2 where Arthurs good side is kind of fed to you like more narrative games do such as something like Last of Us or God of War for example.

You can't leave meat cooking no, but you can fill your coffee pot with grounds and walk away while it's cooking. It just adds to my immersion because real coffee takes a few minutes to cook haha.

acm2000

so ive just finished arthur off finally and now i have to spend all my time doing chores as "jim", bored out of my mind here man

Stafford

There is no gameplay... said those who didn't enjoy the game.
The way you kill enemies or even the way you hunt and the poor animal twitch before dying, the strangers mission like bounties or random events, upgrading and buying new weapons.
There is no gameplay i liked you should say.
Denzel Washington Yes GIF by SAG Awards

The fact that you bond with your horse to unlock new features or improve them. Or that you can take on challenges and get cool new stuff for it. Nothing in this game is just there, it's for a reason. And it's all gameplay. I'll never understand the criticism about gameplay in general.
Yea that's what I mean about Arthur though I like playing as him cause he has a cool stereotypical Cowboy voice but from the beginning you understand that he has more of a heart than John does in the first game. I just think it works a lot better in the first one because John simply doesn't give a fuck about anyone or anything equally. So playing a good or bad character is more up to the player rather than in RDR2 where Arthurs good side is kind of fed to you like more narrative games do such as something like Last of Us or God of War for example.

You can't leave meat cooking no, but you can fill your coffee pot with grounds and walk away while it's cooking. It just adds to my immersion because real coffee takes a few minutes to cook haha.
Ah, got it. I understand what you mean now. But I like it, it's something new. Well I guess not new, Niko Bellic had good to him too. It's been so long that I played RDR that I forgot Marston was that cold, haha.

I do remember saying "noooooo" when he got offed. Had definitely grown to like him. It felt amazing to get my revenge though.
This happens to me a lot because I play it in 7.1 surround sound and embrace the tranquility of the forest birds chirping in my ear. lmao
I know, right? Ever since I added surround speakers here it's a world of difference. The nature sounds are amazing. Wild animals, the wind, rain, people on horse walking past and behind you. It's quite the experience to go into the swamp and just paying attention to the sounds there. Hearing the flies and mosquitos. It's so real that it surprises me my dog isn't like "wtf, these damn mosquitos", since she hates them, lol.
so ive just finished arthur off finally and now i have to spend all my time doing chores as "jim", bored out of my mind here man

So hold up. You spent hours and hours playing through the story, have had plenty of action and now you get to play as John. It makes sense that for now he has to do some chores, he's trying to make a more normal living now. I don't know man, it makes all the sense in the world to me.

It's just not your game. I mean you "finally" finished Arthur off? Guess you didn't like him.

Last edited:

acm2000

So hold up. You spent hours and hours playing through the story, have had plenty of action and now you get to play as John. It makes sense that for now he has to do some chores, he's trying to make a more normal living now. I don't know man, it makes all the sense in the world to me.
yes, its tedious like half the arthur campaign was

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
OK, cool cool.

Or perhaps, stick with me because it's kinda crazy, I know......

I'm just super enthusiastic about it and wanted to share my excitement and enthusiasm with fellow people. Maybe I wanted to discuss it with those that did finish and appreciate it.

Also, nobody is forcing you into this thread. Right?
Oh, please.

That's just from mid-July to August. There's one thread every week with someone going "zomg!! RDR2 is the greatest game ever".

acm2000

It's really just not your game then. If I found a game to be tedious for half of the story, I'd probably drop it.
to be fair, if the game didnt have auto ride i probably would have, didnt cost me much after all but the auto ride at least meant i could do something else on the laptop while he heads to the marker and hopefully the ai doesnt throw me off a cliff, again.

Bartski

Gold Member
The only time the game really shoots itself in the foot is if you go for the mission gold medal chase trophy. I hate that it's there. Actively undermines some core design philosophies making them frustrating - most missions are on a timer with literally seconds of leeway and your character contextually slows down in some of the worst possible moments... you lose time because of approaching the horse to mount or stow at the wrong angle... sometimes prompts take time to show up and don't get me started about no-damage missions, where not getting hit is just RNG. I did 70 of them and it broke my balls.

None of that ever frustrated me just playing the campaign tho, absolutely loved it and I find the "sluggishness" of it is clearly deliberate and perfectly enjoyable, to me at least.
But I'm also the weirdo who likes super responsive twitch action games as much as walking sims.
I like to think it's about having the capacity to enjoy games made with totally different design principles that I feel many gamers seem to be lacking.

In RDR2 I like to just hang out and play it extra slow. Best open world game ever.

Top Bottom