• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally played/beat RDR2

Pilgrimzero

Yeah I sat on it since release. Loved RDR1 but RDR2 turned me off with the long rides and controls. But I gave it a second chance, realized I judged to harshly on just 30 minutes or so of game.

Despite the controls (I still accidently shot people even up to the end), it was an amazing game.

And all the stuff with John M. Man, if you hadn't already played RDR1 and knew what was coming it comes off very very nice but of course knowing what you know there is a lot of foreshadowing. I honestly expected the lumber dealer to say "This will be the last barn you ever need." or something.

Saddest moment IMO wasn't the death of Arthur, I mean you know that's coming at some point but it was when his (your) horse gets shot and dies. Such a good girl. 🐴

Love all the back story. Will make a RDR1 replay more interesting since I know more about Bill and Javier and Dutch etc. Bastards took Micha & Dutch's side and shot at Arthur and John. Left John to die. They gotta pay by lead poisoning.

And and Sadie Adler is Queen of the West. I kind of wish her and Arthur could have had a happy ending together. Fanship.

Loaded up RDR1 on my Series S. Have to remember the X button is different lol. Game still looks really good. I hear a Remake(?) is coming soon. Could be cool.

red dead redemption 2 squad GIF by Rockstar Games

Currently replaying this myself on PC. I finished it a few years back on console only because I wanted to clear it off my backlog.

I’m on Chapter 3 and the game is stunning. With a few mods and 60fps it really does make the world of difference for me personally. The story is gripping and the action is really awesome.

There’s nothing quite like having bounty hunters looking for you whilst you hold up in the middle of a forest and take them all out one by one.

MiguelItUp

Game is amazing, I loved it so much. But I admit somewhere in the middle it really kind of slogged for me. But as soon as I pushed through it got better. Other than that, I thought it was an awesome experience. I was surprised I ended up loving Arthur more than Marston, I didn't think that would be possible, lol.

I am not big into sim racers either but RDR is basically that to open world and I kinda understand the appeal, but I did not like it, or any other open world.
Open world is just bad in practically any game imho.
Even when the traversal isn't bothering me, like in Spiderman, it just ruins any story with sidetracking, make your own adventure pacing. Open world works imho only as a backdrop like in Mafia 1 and possibly when the story is not interesting in the slightest to begin with, which is equally a tough starting point.

Cashon

Banned
One thing I'll never understand is why people don't immediately go into Settings and change the options to better fit their preferences.

Red Dead Redemption II has a lot of options that can drastically change how the game feels to play. For example, playing in first-person makes movement seem both much faster and more fluid, while also making the game as a whole more immersive. There's also various options for aiming that can be adjusted.

Immortals: Fenyx Rising was similar; the default controls and UI really, really were not to my liking, so I customized to options to better fit how I like to play (swapped attack buttons from shoulder buttons to X and Y, inverted Y axis, and removed a lot of clutter from the UI).

This doesn't necessarily mean that a given person will suddenly enjoy the game, but it can certainly improve the chances. Yet, I've seen so many cases of people just jumping into a game and never even looking at the options menu. That's just dumb.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got RDR2 when it came out, ran into a bug where some party members disappeared at the camp, said "i'll wait for the fix". Well, five years later....

I was hoping that Rockstar would continue to support their 50+ million seller by releasing a PS5 patch but it seems not.

Corndog

Banned
Yeah I sat on it since release. Loved RDR1 but RDR2 turned me off with the long rides and controls. But I gave it a second chance, realized I judged to harshly on just 30 minutes or so of game.

Despite the controls (I still accidently shot people even up to the end), it was an amazing game.

And all the stuff with John M. Man, if you hadn't already played RDR1 and knew what was coming it comes off very very nice but of course knowing what you know there is a lot of foreshadowing. I honestly expected the lumber dealer to say "This will be the last barn you ever need." or something.

Saddest moment IMO wasn't the death of Arthur, I mean you know that's coming at some point but it was when his (your) horse gets shot and dies. Such a good girl. 🐴

Love all the back story. Will make a RDR1 replay more interesting since I know more about Bill and Javier and Dutch etc. Bastards took Micha & Dutch's side and shot at Arthur and John. Left John to die. They gotta pay by lead poisoning.

And and Sadie Adler is Queen of the West. I kind of wish her and Arthur could have had a happy ending together. Fanship.

Loaded up RDR1 on my Series S. Have to remember the X button is different lol. Game still looks really good. I hear a Remake(?) is coming soon. Could be cool.

red dead redemption 2 squad GIF by Rockstar Games
Last rumor I saw said august for RDR1 but that could just be bull crap.

Corndog

Banned
I got RDR2 when it came out, ran into a bug where some party members disappeared at the camp, said "i'll wait for the fix". Well, five years later....

I was hoping that Rockstar would continue to support their 50+ million seller by releasing a PS5 patch but it seems not.
Hopefully they put a patch out for both consoles.
I also really wish they would finish some of the unfinished quests and add them back into the game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I really like the cast of characters but for who I interpreted Arthur as conflicted with how long he put up with Dutch's shenanigans which really hurt the narrative during the last third of the game.

The Hamish Sinclair stranger missions were fantastic and I wish he had a bigger role in the game. At least I'll always have Buell.

I am on the last mission. It’s a masterpiece for sure. It’s a shame the game keeps crashing I am on my 4th try beating the last mission it’s super annoying

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hopefully they put a patch out for both consoles.
I also really wish they would finish some of the unfinished quests and add them back into the game.
I don't think they're doing the patch, would love to be proven wrong, and maybe they would accompany it with news of RDR1 port, but I doubt it.

Woggleman

The controls could be better but I still loved the game. I cared more about some small side characters than I cared about the main protagonist of most games.

I play the unpatched version 1.00 on PS5 and it's awesome. Though I can only really play it when I'm in my 30fps faze after watching a few movies or something. You can get the closed blue winter jacket from the prologue and also make Arthur shirtless. I swear a lot of the weather effects and such have more dynamic effects going on. I think they toned a lot of that down for better multiplayer performance in later patches.

Edit: You can also camp outside of the slip boundary on Tempest Rim and go exploring North into Canada and even South into Mexico.

Last edited:
It’s so impressive how much of the map was modeled even when it was not playable in the game
I know. They were obviously going to put in the entirety of Red Dead 1 in after the epilogue but cut it due to their release window.

If we're getting RDR1 remastered I wouldn't be surprised if it it'll be part of a RDR2 60fps re-release for consoles.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I was completely shocked on how much John Marston was in the game and being voiced by the same actor. After watching the short documentary on him I thought he would never return to acting.

NeonGhost

I play the unpatched version 1.00 on PS5 and it's awesome. Though I can only really play it when I'm in my 30fps faze after watching a few movies or something. You can get the closed blue winter jacket from the prologue and also make Arthur shirtless. I swear a lot of the weather effects and such have more dynamic effects going on. I think they toned a lot of that down for better multiplayer performance in later patches.

Edit: You can also camp outside of the slip boundary on Tempest Rim and go exploring North into Canada and even South into Mexico.
What’s the purpose of playing the unpatched version ?

What’s the purpose of playing the unpatched version ?
What I stated above.

But I'm also one of the only people online cataloging this information outside of a few others on youtube. So I don't know it all, other people know more than me.

Arthur is slightly uglier. Pierson looks more like a fat degenerate. Dutche's coat looks slightly better.

John is the closest to looking like his original character model in this version as the patched version changed his hair color, face and walking animation as well as giving him broad shoulders from Arthur's character rigging.

There are an abundantly more amount of animals in the open world.

The horse controls differently and smashes into trees and rocks more frequently if you're not paying attention.

Weather has more variation with dynamic effects and wind. Sunsets last longer and have a more variation in color.

Fog can get so thick that you can't see more than a few feet in front of you.

I believe you may get slightly more variation in camp conversations as well but I haven't looked too much into this. You also don't get nagged constantly for not contributing money to the camp or that your clothes don't match the weather.

You can also camp outside of the slip boundary and go riding/hiking across Tempest Rim, Canada, Mexico and even to Guarma if you ride far enough.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
One of those games I keep installed just to mess around in the open world. PC version looks and runs amazing these days and there are some great mods.

NeonGhost

What I stated above.

But I'm also one of the only people online cataloging this information outside of a few others on youtube. So I don't know it all, other people know more than me.

Arthur is slightly uglier. Pierson looks more like a fat degenerate. Dutche's coat looks slightly better.

John is the closest to looking like his original character model in this version as the patched version changed his hair color, face and walking animation as well as giving him broad shoulders from Arthur's character rigging.

There are an abundantly more amount of animals in the open world.

The horse controls differently and smashes into trees and rocks more frequently if you're not paying attention.

Weather has more variation with dynamic effects and wind. Sunsets last longer and have a more variation in color.

Fog can get so thick that you can't see more than a few feet in front of you.

I believe you may get slightly more variation in camp conversations as well but I haven't looked too much into this. You also don't get nagged constantly for not contributing money to the camp or that your clothes don't match the weather.

You can also camp outside of the slip boundary and go riding/hiking across Tempest Rim, Canada, Mexico and even to Guarma if you ride far enough.

if I play the physical version on Xbox series x do I still get the 4k version from being one x enhanced ?

imo, rdr2 is an overly long, exhausting game, & red dead redemption is better...

that said, for all it's flaws, rdr2 somehow managed to hold my interest throughout, & seriously paid off by the end. can't say i look forward to replaying it anytime soon (i've replayed rdr multiple times), but it absolutely was worth experiencing, & definitely leaves an lasting impression...

if I play the physical version on Xbox series x do I still get the 4k version from being one x enhanced ?
That I'm not sure of. You would have to try it yourself. I play on PS5 and think it runs in 1080p. I'm not sure if they patched in checkerboard 4K support at some point (I'm assuming they did) or if it already featured that from the start.

Edit: But I play on a 4K OLED and it doesn't hurt my eyes or anything. The image is on the softer side though.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

That I'm not sure of. You would have to try it yourself. I play on PS5 and think it runs in 1080p. I'm not sure if they patched in checkerboard 4K support at some point (I'm assuming they did) or if it already featured that from the start.

Edit: But I play on a 4K OLED and it doesn't hurt my eyes or anything. The image is on the softer side though.
Hmm I don’t know if losing native 4k is worth it

Hmm I don’t know if losing native 4k is worth it
It just depends on if you can handle that or not. The resolution isn't as noticeable in this game as it is in others for some reason.

It also was never native 4K on PS4/PS5 in the first place.

You could always just try it if you have some time to kill. You just have to play from the beginning. It's definitely worth checking out at least once.

And you can always just install the patch again and boot up your current save if you don't care for it.

Certinty

Greete
unpopular opinion: deserved GoTY more than God of War
I don’t even think that’s an unpopular opinion. Definitely one of the games I’ve seen many people say is the best they’ve ever played let alone the best released in 2018.

Personally, I can’t disagree, by far the best game I’ve ever had the privilege of playing and it’s not even close. What an absolute work of love in every way from the story and characters to the open world and soundtrack. Can’t believe how even almost five years on it’s still visually one of the best games out there visually too.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Good for you. I played 5 hours and was still at the "when is this game going to get good?" stage.

Heard great many things about RDR though.

You'll be having the same thoughts after the first five hours of the original.

These games arent made for the ADHD gen. They're purposeful slow burns like the epic Western films that inspired them.

RobRSG

Xbox Series BC versions of 1 and 2 could make use of FPS boost.

Such a waste of potential.

Regardless, they are the best available on any console.

Last edited:

flying_sq

I beat it on PC, but man I didn't really enjoy it that much. We don't get a lot of western games, so I stuck to it. Has no consideration for the player's time, the game feels light on meaningful content, full random activities, and collectathon. I feel the first one was a tight story around a small group of characters, this game wants me to care about some random dude/dudette in the camp who you do two missions with and assumes I want to know about his/her entire life or care if they die. Very pretty game though.

Top Bottom