• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish the rat was different in RDR2

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Micah....really...I mean I hated his bitch ass since the beginning and ever since there was talk of a rat in the game it only made sense it was him with how irritating it was. The only misstep I feel this game has story wise was not placing a tense moment on a character it belonged to. For me it has to be 2 choices

1. Arthur
2. Dutch

Arthur was a very deep and integral character to almost every arc, it would have serves as an amazing twist has it been reveal 3/4 through the game that he was the rat giving police information OR much like I have still been waiting for, a game where you play an undercover cop/lawman and infiltrate a gang or mafia (i know theres sleeping dogs but I want more. You would have gotten to play both sides on which information to give, however build a relationship with the 'bad guys' as well. Also in the end it makes even more sense for Arthur to build his relationship with John to then eventually switch his mind and want to get John out as clean as possible because he has a wife/kid and also sees the potential for John (also would connect well with the first game how they picked John up and have him do the laws dirty work for them)

Dutch on the other hand would be an interesting choice because of his big downfall also the shift in character during the second game to the first. Dutch having some sort of protection ala Whitey Bulger makes sense that they could let him rob and be an asshole as long as he was giving out key information for other gangs but also to help paint the end of the cowboy and lawless area by using him as the key figure of why shit needs to stop and that good (law) will always triumph over evil (dutch and the gang). It would have been a good way to show the corrupt system of the police force but also use it as a key role in the shift of eras and the end of the unlawful cowboy.

In the end, the twist sucked.

And the controls do even more.

MrJTeera

I feel the twist would be distracting to the theme of this game, which is the disillusionment of wild west romanticism. You may think this applies to Arthur since he constantly complains about how “times had changed” but I think you can see it clearer in Dutch.

Micah and Arthur serves as the devil and the angel on Dutch’s shoulder, making him struggle between Arthur’s old outlaws way of camaraderie and living free from the law and Micah’s modern outlaws, filled with self-preservation and compromise.

Making Arthur or Dutch a rat would just ruins this dynamic, imo, and you’re right, the twist is not a big deal, because it shouldn’t be.

Neilg

I didnt really see this as a twist.
It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember feeling he was the obvious choice because we could all see how he was a piece of shit, but everyone was sticking together despite the signs because 'its what you do'
The game was about people letting you down and the inevitability of things.
Making it Dutch or Aurthur would completely change the themes of the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom