• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally played/beat RDR2

geary

Chapter 6 is full of emotional missions.
Finished it this weekend... Now i am on Epilogue Part 1

FindGTQ.png

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You'll be having the same thoughts after the first five hours of the original.

These games arent made for the ADHD gen. They're purposeful slow burns like the epic Western films that inspired them.
My brother has the first one has a top 10 game of all time but absolutely loathes the second one. He's not the only one I know either.

Also, lol at ADHD gen. Older games tend to be faster-paced. Slow-ass games with walking and a million cutscenes are actually the new kids on the block.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I wasn’t the biggest fan of the game but it’s hard to deny how well crafted it is. Absolute piece of art. I’m curious if we’ll ever see a game again with that much attention to detail. I mean, there was so much of it, it clearly hurt it as a game… aka it would have been more fun to play with less.

MarkMe2525

Yeah I sat on it since release. Loved RDR1 but RDR2 turned me off with the long rides and controls. But I gave it a second chance, realized I judged to harshly on just 30 minutes or so of game.

Despite the controls (I still accidently shot people even up to the end), it was an amazing game.

And all the stuff with John M. Man, if you hadn't already played RDR1 and knew what was coming it comes off very very nice but of course knowing what you know there is a lot of foreshadowing. I honestly expected the lumber dealer to say "This will be the last barn you ever need." or something.

Saddest moment IMO wasn't the death of Arthur, I mean you know that's coming at some point but it was when his (your) horse gets shot and dies. Such a good girl. 🐴

Love all the back story. Will make a RDR1 replay more interesting since I know more about Bill and Javier and Dutch etc. Bastards took Micha & Dutch's side and shot at Arthur and John. Left John to die. They gotta pay by lead poisoning.

And and Sadie Adler is Queen of the West. I kind of wish her and Arthur could have had a happy ending together. Fanship.

Loaded up RDR1 on my Series S. Have to remember the X button is different lol. Game still looks really good. I hear a Remake(?) is coming soon. Could be cool.

red dead redemption 2 squad GIF by Rockstar Games
Many people get caught up on the slow going opening section of the game, but your experience with the game afterwards mirrors mine. Such a unique masterpiece. Rockstar really built what feels like a living, breathing world for us to inhabit. Sometimes I would find myself just pausing in awe as the sun broke over the horizon and filled the sky with a kaleidoscope of color.

Despite the controls (I still accidently shot people even up to the end), it was an amazing game.
I recently started playing this for the first time. About six hours in, I returned to town with a perfect goat skin and freshly killed Buck for the butcher. While trying to talk to the butcher, I accidentally shot his shop. He beat me to death and I lost everything.

I begrudgingly continued and about ten minutes later, I see two Odrizzle (or whoever) gang members beating someone up. I stop to intervene. During the fistfight with one, the other pulls a gun, so I shoot them both. The victim reports me as a murderer and I get a $30 bounty.

I shut off the game and won’t touch it again.

I also didn’t like how they shoved so many things into the game that I was essentially still in a tutorial. RDR1 was a masterpiece. This felt like a slog.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

I recently started playing this for the first time. About six hours in, I returned to town with a perfect goat skin and freshly killed Buck for the butcher. While trying to talk to the butcher, I accidentally shot his shop. He beat me to death and I lost everything.

I begrudgingly continued and about ten minutes later, I see two Odrizzle (or whoever) gang members beating someone up. I stop to intervene. During the fistfight with one, the other pulls a gun, so I shoot them both. The victim reports me as a murderer and I get a $30 bounty.

I shut off the game and won’t touch it again.

I also didn’t like how they shoved so many things into the game that I was essentially still in a tutorial. RDR1 was a masterpiece. This felt like a slog.
Yeah some of the law rules can be wonky just have to roll with it. Eventually you have so much cash bounties are speed bumps at best.

Even RDR1 has some law issues. I shot a horse thief after I got my horse back and lost honor. Didn’t seem fair but oh well.

Buggy Loop

I played this LTTP also, last year, on PC.

It was so good. I felt fully immersed in it. I took my time. Didn't feel bothered by some of the slowness of it, the environment buzzing with life always felt interesting all the way to the end. I felt sad a bit that the New Austin map felt underutilized, although i probably missed a shitload of random events in there, the missions just don't drive you much through it and feels like they just ran out of time.

I seriously doubt that Rockstar will ever be able to make a game like this again. It feels like a once in a lifetime studio event and after employee turnovers, likely never to be seen again. I hope I'm wrong.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Only flaw was slow start and some frustrating mission mechanics.

Just jumping onto a train, sit down at the end wagon and look at the world go by was almost a game trancending experience to me.

Also, disregarding the campaign and just exploring the world and wildlife was unique.

Last edited:
My brother has the first one has a top 10 game of all time but absolutely loathes the second one. He's not the only one I know either.

Also, lol at ADHD gen. Older games tend to be faster-paced. Slow-ass games with walking and a million cutscenes are actually the new kids on the block.
Well the fact that Arthur is so much less morally ambiguous than John is what ruins a lot of the story.

Throughout the game is viewed and portrayed as more of a good man than John ever was in the first game. So when you do evil things with Arthur it just feels wrong and out of character.

Last edited:

Johnny2Bad

the New Austin map felt underutilized, although i probably missed a shitload of random events in there
There's not a lot happening there. There's a short encounter with the sheriff of Armadillo and once you meet the sheriff of Tumbleweed, two bounty hunter missions will be available. That's pretty much it apart from the story mission that happens there with Sadie Adler.

The second bounty mission is Esteban Cortez. If you do it before the Ramon Cortez mission with Sadie, John will mention him and Sadie will tell him that it's his brother.

Top Bottom