• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does Rockstar not see the television potential with the Red Dead series?

Woggleman

The gameplay of RDR2 might have been somewhat divisive but if you look at almost any stream of it the story is loved. I have seen grown balling their eyes out at the ending and Arthur and John are both beloved characters. It is a natural fit for this kind of format. I also doubt they could get him but Daniel Day Lewis would be a great choice to play Dutch.

Hollywood has really soured on westerns so it's not that simple.

I mentioned this in another thread, but not every company is Sony who have a straight line into a production company and a distribution studio.

Deadwood was fantastic, but only lasted 3 seasons nearly 20 years ago. It had a 2019 movie with a pretty low budget.

mortal

Gold Member
Hell, I'm surprised that Take-Two haven't decided to license out GTA as a show on one of the streaming platforms.
Every major publisher seems to be capitalizing on a show or film adaptation. A GTA show, with an ensemble cast, could do really well if done right.

EDMIX

The gameplay of RDR2 might have been somewhat divisive but if you look at almost any stream of it the story is loved. I have seen grown balling their eyes out at the ending and Arthur and John are both beloved characters. It is a natural fit for this kind of format. I also doubt they could get him but Daniel Day Lewis would be a great choice to play Dutch.

1. They probably do see it and are just looking for the right studio and I'm sure many would bid on that contract like Amazon, Netflix, HBO etc

2. I doubt Lewis would jump on such a show, but I'd love to be wrong on that lol

3. The shows initial focus would likely be on John...

Puscifer

Hollywood has really soured on westerns so it's not that simple.

I mentioned this in another thread, but not every company is Sony who have a straight line into a production company and a distribution studio.

Deadwood was fantastic, but only lasted 3 seasons nearly 20 years ago. It had a 2019 movie with a pretty low budget.
Low budget? It was 20 million for a TV movie lol

Hell, I'm surprised that Take-Two haven't decided to license out GTA as a show on one of the streaming platforms.
Every major publisher seems to be capitalizing on a show or film adaptation. A GTA show, with an ensemble cast, could do really well if done right.
1. They probably do see it and are just looking for the right studio and I'm sure many would bid on that contract like Amazon, Netflix, HBO etc

2. I doubt Lewis would jump on such a show, but I'd love to be wrong on that lol

3. The shows initial focus would likely be on John...

We might see TLOU effect on big properties like this getting a bigger chance in Hollywood. It's also why I think Sony might look into buying T2 if this deal goes through with ABK.

They're too busy not porting RDR2 to current gen hardware.

What a truly terrible choice. You've really got to wonder what they're thinking on this. Fixed controls and improved graphics, and this game could probably sell double what it already sold, which is significant.

They might just be thinking of remaking the whole series though and don't want to cut into higher priced sales. If you look online at how many people are buying the last of us part 1 on ps3 and ps4 instead of on PS5... and you can see why you wouldn't want to just patch this right now.

Zombie movies are considered played out and yet TLOU is off to a great start so why would the same not apply to a western?

The highest grossing Western of all time adjusted for inflation is 2010s True Grit 200 million (inflation adjustment) domestically.

The drop off from there is steep, but now you're talking about sharing profits with T2 on top of that.

tldr zombies have bigger upside.

EDMIX

We might see TLOU effect on big properties like this getting a bigger chance in Hollywood. It's also why I think Sony might look into buying T2 if this deal goes through with ABK.

Sure I don't disagree that T2 might be on their radar, but its likely for the big IP they have gaming wise. The cross media stuff is a plus.

Sony has been going ham on that cross media stuff for a while with Uncharted film, Horizon show, God Of War Show, Last Of Us etc, maybe you are on to something and they wish to leverage their IP more and Sony might be more ok with such a deal if they see those shows successful and see those IP have value beyond gaming.

You could be on to something with that Mibu.

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde lol I still don't get why they didn't have a next gen patch or update for RDR2, with over 40 million units sold, I thought they'd be one of the first looking to do that, maybe they have a remaster ready instead with ray-tracing or something.

Last edited:
Sure I don't disagree that T2 might be on their radar, but its likely for the big IP they have gaming wise. The cross media stuff is a plus.

Sony has been going ham on that cross media stuff for a while with Uncharted film, Horizon show, God Of War Show, Last Of Us etc, maybe you are on to something and they wish to leverage their IP more and Sony might be more ok with such a deal if they see those shows successful and see those IP have value beyond gaming.

You could be on to something with that Mibu.

I think the cross-media stuff is the only way you justify the price tag.

If I was building out a pitch to the Sony board about buying T2 I'd mention

GTA Movie and maybe a TV series
GTA6
GTA4 Remake
Leveraging GTA technology for The Getaway
Red Dead Redemption 3
Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption Remakes
Red Dead Redemption TV series or movie
Red Dead Online
Bully Remake and Bully 2
Going after the FIFA license and the creation of FIFA 2K + advertising deals
Partnership on advertising with NBA and NBA2K
Partnership on advertising with WWE and WWE2K
Partnership on advertising PGA and Tiger Woods on Tiger Woods PGA 2K and probably move development to ClapHanz
Rebranding of MLB The Show to MLB 2K or MLB 2K The Show advertising deal with MLB
Going after the NFL licensing deal when Madden's exclusive deal expires
Bioshock Reboot and cross-media
Borderlands fix
Civilization
Mafia Reboot with movie spin-off
Max Payne Reboot and new Max Payne TV series

lol watch, soon you going to be hearing people say shit like "We need a Spiderman movie about Spiderman 2018...the game, as a movie"

Sony Pictures owns the rights to Spider-Man live action TV series an animated series with episodes over 44 minutes in length.

Not sure if they would be allowed to base their show on the video game character without a further deal with Marvel, but this could certainly happen.

Would not be surprised if they make a Spider-Man live action tv series at some point ala Smallville but less dated.

EDMIX

I think the cross-media stuff is the only way you justify the price tag.

If I was building out a pitch to the Sony board about buying T2 I'd mention

GTA Movie and maybe a TV series
GTA6
GTA4 Remake
Leveraging GTA technology for The Getaway
Red Dead Redemption 3
Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption Remakes
Red Dead Redemption TV series or movie
Red Dead Online
Bully Remake and Bully 2
Going after the FIFA license and the creation of FIFA 2K + advertising deals
Partnership on advertising with NBA and NBA2K
Partnership on advertising with WWE and WWE2K
Partnership on advertising PGA and Tiger Woods on Tiger Woods PGA 2K and probably move development to ClapHanz
Rebranding of MLB The Show to MLB 2K or MLB 2K The Show advertising deal with MLB
Going after the NFL licensing deal when Madden's exclusive deal expires
Bioshock Reboot and cross-media
Borderlands fix
Civilization
Mafia Reboot with movie spin-off
Max Payne Reboot and new Max Payne TV series

Detailed post and great points. I greatly overlooked how many IP they have and how they can be used with online and cross media stuff.

If this happens, I now believe you are correct on why they'd buy Take 2.

EDMIX

Why? Movies and television are vastly less profitable than video games especially marquee games such that Rockstar makes.

Less profit doesn't mean no profit sir.

I don't know why people even think like this....its money, it adds up. So having lets say GTA do gangbusters with online is great an all, but it can likely also bring in money as some big movie IP about bank heist or crime or some shit where every film has a different set of actors like The Rock or something lol

Think about it like this, the profit margin for burgers at McDonalds is smaller then its fries, oh shit so be like "why? Burgers and chicken sandos are vastly less profitable than" do you hear how weird this sounds from a perspective of someone looking to make all of the money and not merely some?

So I think T2 probably wants to leverage those IP in other forms, they likely haven't found a great gameplay or studio to assist in those efforts or something, but not because of this whole "less profitable"

Companies don't get "full" like we do from food or something, there is not "enough" or "less" here or there, there is simply the hunt for profit. Business is about making as much money as you can, while you can.

I don't know why people even think like this....its money, it adds up. So having lets say GTA do gangbusters with online is great an all, but it can likely also bring in money as some big movie IP about bank heist or crime or some shit where every film has a different set of actors like The Rock or something lol

Think about it like this, the profit margin for burgers at McDonalds is smaller then its fries, oh shit so be like "why? Burgers and chicken sandos are vastly less profitable than" do you hear how weird this sounds from a perspective of someone looking to make all of the money and not merely some?

So I think T2 probably wants to leverage those IP in other forms, they likely haven't found a great gameplay or studio to assist in those efforts or something, but not because of this whole "less profitable"

Companies don't get "full" like we do from food or something, there is not "enough" or "less" here or there, there is simply the hunt for profit. Business is about making as much money as you can, while you can.
It likely makes more sense for them to spend money where the returns are highest, which for Rockstar happens to be video games. I’m sure a greedy publisher like Take 2, if they felt expanding their reach into movies and tv would be a worthwhile investment then we’d likely have seen those options explored.

We are talking about Rockstar here, not other companies that don’t break records every time they take a shit. Also, RDR and GTA won’t stand out on the market if they were films. Both western and heist movies have been done to death, with some of the top movies of all time being from those genres. It sounds like a recipe for disaster tbh.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It likely makes more sense for them to spend money where the returns are highest, which for Rockstar happens to be video games. I’m sure a greedy publisher like Take 2, if they felt expanding their reach into movies and tv would be a worthwhile investment then we’d likely have seen those options explored.

We are talking about Rockstar here, not other companies that don’t break records every time they take a shit.

They are probably still planning out what studio will get it.

They also did the Max Payne film so...lol we have seen those options explored, clearly they have an idea that those IP can make money out side of just gaming.

I think with all the streaming companies competing, Take Two knows they'll have their pick and any streaming company would open up the vault to fund those IPs and win the bid.

So that might be a (not yet) type situation and not a never as that could be in the works right now.

They are probably still planning out what studio will get it.

They also did the Max Payne film so...lol we have seen those options explored, clearly they have an idea that those IP can make money out side of just gaming.

I think with all the streaming companies competing, Take Two knows they'll have their pick and any streaming company would open up the vault to fund those IPs and win the bid.

So that might be a (not yet) type situation and not a never as that could be in the works right now.
You’re assuming a shit ton and passing it off like it’s what is actually going on.

Anyway, FOX bought the movies rights to Max Payne literally 20 years ago. It’s been radio silence since release. Let’s not play pretend here.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If the movie or TV series is as boring as the game, I think I know why they aren't going that route.

PSA: This is a controversial opinion.

Lasha

The IRR of Rockstar making a TV show is less than the IRR putting money into games which print money. Your McDonald's analogy is bad because sandwiches, fries, and sodas are all something that a restaurant makes. McDonald's generates maximum profit by building its entire business around getting customers to buy fries and soda so that franchisees can pay McDonald's rent. McDonalds doesn't need to start selling video games even though it could make more money from its brand.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Please no, let games be games and movies be movies.

Corpos just want to keep pumping crap while their IP is still popular so that they can maximize profit. They don't care about quality.

Not to mention the west is culturally dead. It's all about following some woke agenda.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

A Red Dead TV adaptation just sounds like making a Western TV show with more steps. You can get way more out of the genre if you just make a straight up Western without handcuffing yourself to a video game adaptation.

Same with Ghost of Tsushima. Just adapt from the same source material the games did. Most people will not complain if you make a well written, well shot fantastic Western or Samurai movie or TV series that stands on their own without it being attached to a licensed video game property.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You’re assuming a shit ton and passing it off like it’s what is actually going on.

???

They are probably

Soooooooo I don't now where you are getting the idea that my comment is based on any objective fact or claim, I made it more then clear this is simply speculation.

Let’s not play pretend here.

Yea bud, you taking this a bit to personal lol Pretend? The fuck are you talking about? lol

"Yeah sure, whatever you guys wanna argue about " lol

With all the money that is being made from streaming and all the record being broken on many platforms, it would be weird to act as if publishers aren't looking on how to extract more value from their IP, its fair to speculate on and not this wild hot take to be so offended by lol

We going to have to put you on ignore man, 99% of what you are posting is just unnecessary as you are making it sound like we killed your dog and we are coming back for the puppies (can't let them grow up looking for revenge doe) lolz

The IRR of Rockstar making a TV show is less than the IRR putting money into games which print money. Your McDonald's analogy is bad because sandwiches, fries, and sodas are all something that a restaurant makes. McDonald's generates maximum profit by building its entire business around getting customers to buy fries and soda so that franchisees can pay McDonald's rent. McDonalds doesn't need to start selling video games even though it could make more money from its brand.

just an example....and this is all speculation. They can always make more money and with the streaming wars, they have many companies that would fully fund something like that with the right pitch.

Gaming making more doesn't mean they'd close out all other media options or something.

Last edited:
A Red Dead TV adaptation just sounds like making a Western TV show with more steps. You can get way more out of the genre if you just make a straight up Western without handcuffing yourself to a video game adaptation.

Same with Ghost of Tsushima. Just adapt from the same source material the games did. Nobody will complain if you make a well written, well shot fantastic Western or Samurai movie or TV series that stands on their own without it being attached to a licensed video game property.

Ghost of Tsushima is perfectly suited to be a movie.

EDMIX

Ghost of Tsushima is perfectly suited to be a movie.

Agreed.

yaya another western? it's story not unique enough to have a series tbh

lol maybe, maybe not. The universe makes a lot of sense for a series as the story can expand on John doing all those crimes with Dutch in the early days or something.

Its feasible. I don't expect it to be 1.1 if such a thing ever happened nor would I want it to be 1.1 just for the sake of the fucking neck beards or something. I'd be 100% ok with the changing enough to make it fit the structure of a show as the progressive storyline thru time already fits a show going thru many seasons anyway.

Top Bottom