• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some excellent sports and racing games (to non-fans of the genres)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wii Sports Resort was so excellent, from the bowling and frisbee throwing to the archery and the sword duels. Need something like that for VR, there are meh knock offs or decent stand alone games for a specific sport like table tennis but not great enough.

Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Initial D, Wipeout, (or BallisticNG), F-Zero and the like are obviously still awesome for racing and for non fans of the genre, just superb fun. All entries are great, some black sheep of each series may exist so just avoid them I guess...

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The Super Mega Baseball series is a lot of fun and not overly complicated.

Sadly the Power Pros series only had one US release on PS2 & Wii back in 2007. I saw some coverage of the new releases in Japan, and there's a RPG mode that has floating baseball cities.

teezzy

Banned
Nhl will always have a big pedestal in my memory because it was the first franchise i saw which had animated jerseys. I think it might have been nhl 2001? Didn't look super but i was dumbfounded barely any of the other sport series figured it out for years and years~ had FIFA figured it out yet? I've no idea haven't played a fifa game in a whiiile

Edit:

Yeah think it was this one.. not hitz but involved fighting~~

You know what? You might be right, man. I actually never really thought about that before. Makes sense though, EA must have really wanted to take advantage of that PS2 tech lol

Video hockey is one of the best gaming experiences you can have, especially with friends. I've loved it since discovering Ice Hockey on NES. It's like pong on acid or something.

While I had an NES only, two of my older cousins had Super Nintendos growing up. One was nerdy and taught me to read via the classic JRPGs like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound; the other was a bit of a fat bully but taught me hockey proper via NHL 94 on SNES. I dont think I'd have developed a genuine interest in the sport if it weren't for him.

I had the Hitz games on Gamecube initially, but when I got my PS2 later in the generation, I couldn't help but go a little nuts over the years whenever I saw a used copy of NHL. So glad these things dont hold their value lol :

20201024-010616.jpg

What an era. The 90s PS1 ones are so funny to go back to now.

Never actually played a Fifa. I dont understand soccer. Like wheres the Detroit team? 😅

Nerds shit on sports games the same way they shit on like CoD and stuff. But theyre honestly some of the best stuff out there. Madden is a borderline RTS for the people who really know what they're doing. Shit goes deep.

Last edited:

Tschumi

You know what? You might be right, man. I actually never really thought about that before. Makes sense though, EA must have really wanted to take advantage of that PS2 tech lol

Video hockey is one of the best gaming experiences you can have, especially with friends. I've loved it since discovering Ice Hockey on NES. It's like pong on acid or something.

While I had an NES only, two of my older cousins had Super Nintendos growing up. One was nerdy and taught me to read via the classic JRPGs like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound; the other was a bit of a fat bully but taught me hockey proper via NHL 94 on SNES. I dont think I'd have developed a genuine interest in the sport if it weren't for him.

I had the Hitz games on Gamecube initially, but when I got my PS2 later in the generation, I couldn't help but go a little nuts over the years whenever I saw a used copy of NHL. So glad these things dont hold their value lol :

20201024-010616.jpg

Never actually played a Fifa. I dont understand soccer. Like wheres the Detroit team? 😅

Nerds shit on sports games the same way they shit on like CoD and stuff. But theyre honestly some of the best stuff out there. Madden is a borderline RTS for the people who really know what they're doing. Shit goes deep.
Fire, fire, someone call the fire department!

I have a love hate relationship with madden, on one hand i think it's the king of sports games, on the other hand some incarnations are just ass. I most recently got 17 for my second hand PS3 and unless something good can be said about it by yourself it'll remain uninstalled.. I think my favourite was madden 08 because i played as Aaron Rodgers as my qb before he became a "bad man" and was still under Favre.. might have been 07.. love the Packers... But actually madden 99 was the first sports game i ever got, if memory serves (got it at the same time as fifa world cup.. amazing how much better a game it was lol)

Ps mutherfuckin' Game L. Cube!

Last edited by a moderator:

teezzy

Banned
@Tschumi

I've got Madden 07 on original Xbox. Truthfully I can't remember too much about it specifically... its Madden lol

I definitely played Madden 25 on 360 more because of Barry Sanders being on the cover. Calvin Johnson on the cover for 13 too.

For better or worse, I'm a Lions fan... its definitely an experience.
I'll pretend you're not super into Green Bay for now 😂

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I remember Neo Drift Out in the arcades. It had an actual steering wheel.

I stopped caring for sports games after Dreamcast era.

Grab an emulator like Teknoparrot, a cheap arcade racing wheel (more expensive wheels would be a waste) and play arcade racers like Initial D, Wangan Midnight, Chase HQ2, Outrun, Mario Kart, Sega Rally etc

Played few months ago an arcade version of Outrun with seat force feedback and 2 steering wheels were it would switch to player 2. A very refreshing concept, making the game harder.

Tschumi

@Tschumi

I've got Madden 07 on original Xbox. Truthfully I can't remember too much about it specifically... its Madden lol

I definitely played Madden 25 on 360 more because of Barry Sanders being on the cover. Calvin Johnson on the cover for 13 too.

For better or worse, I'm a Lions fan... its definitely an experience.
I'll pretend you're not super into Green Bay for now 😂
Lion's are a damn sight closer to contention than they are flawed, imo!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sports:
- Mario Smash Football
- Virtua Tennis 1-3
- NBA 2k (Before they went all max profit)
- NBA JAM
- NFL Blitz

Racer:
- Daytona USA
- Burnout series
- Sega Rally

Tschumi

Windjammers.
got that on my vita, haven't been able to get into it, what am i missing? what's the secret sauce to enjoying it/getting hooked?

@Tschumi

Tell me about Fifa

Does it play a lot like NHL to your recollection? I know jack shit about soccer
sorry bro i missed this...

FIFA... the basic gameplay gimmick of ping-pong'ing passes around an ever-changing obstacle course of opposing players in order to score goals is pretty fun and engaging. IF you add in the technical moves and stuff that later iterations have introduced it can get pretty expressive. online play is as competitive and skillful as pretty much any game - again, i just reiterate that there's a huge element of the random to matchups, and yeah depending on how dexterous you are with ur controller u can be really skillful.

EDIT: In this sense it's probably a lot like NHL, just like the two sports have a few similar traits IRL, only you have more players on your teams and maybe the added fun of making passes in the Z axis, on a bigger pitch, with a lot more ease.

it also has a few different modes - my favourite fifa was fifa 11, i think, in which you can make your own single pro player and play online in teams made up of other real players, so it was like an 11 player co-op... that was super, super fun. i'm not sure if it's still quite like that, buy that was my personal favourite.

they've introduced a thing called 'ultimate team' in the last decade or so, in which you build an online team from decks of cards... booster packs... and those cards are constantly updated throughout a season, so they reflect emerging stars etc... as with any card collection game thing it can be pretty addictive, and yeah add that to the varied online play... voila! good recipe.

The downside is new editions are extremely samey, especially in this age of diminishing returns, their gimmicks aren't always worth a new purchase, and graphically they're a fair way behind the star games of other genres by now.

Tschumi

Sounds about right.

NHL and Madden are pretty much doing the same stuff.

I actually like this years releases for both

I'm a cheap date though
i got madden 20 on origin but never played it, dunno why, i might partake in '21.. i'll give 20 another try and see how i feel

Guileless

I remember playing the hell out of NHL 98 on PC - it was incredible. I think it was the first PC version to take advantage of dedicated 3d graphics cards, and it looked amazing on my Voodoo 1.

I tried playing it on a friend's PS1 and it was like night and day because it looked and played like shit compared to a good PC. Amazingly, that year's game was the last to be released on the SNES and Genesis, so a lot was going on then.

Sethbacca

f-zero gx is the best of the best

sports games are another matter, most of my favorites are older

here's everything that comes to mind, rented one or another of these almost every weekend -->

Mutant_League_Football_cover.png

maxresdefault.jpg

snes_nba_jam_tournament_edition_p_78mnua.jpg

nba-jam.jpg

MMSoccerBox.jpg

mega-man-soccer-super-nintendo-review.jpg

4000006469__47248.1596568554.jpg

1N1LBwPkzWGKbrMMtp4ZxCuxzQFlWKIqcu4qw4DC_hZ1Pxn-EA_vvTNok4a-fstxOGcwV6re13Jh5Z0wvhwAZgLyIyMvhrj6ZajdAfWypaKasT-SnQXUHbxIfQ6_jFdGGh4

genesis_mutantleaguehockey_front.png

mutantleaguehockey2.jpg

61AKYUlSiNL._SX342_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images

hqdefault.jpg

51x7bf4c-xL.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

gen_tiny_toon_adventures_acme_all-stars_p_h3kwew.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

3096232-1390465601-47364.jpg

genesis-evander-holyfields-real-deal-boxing-screen.png

51qbhRQCT3L._SX425_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

045496960032.jpg

waverace.jpg

Wave race was so damn good. Having to learn to balance your speed against the wave physics. I'd love to see a modern one.

Tschumi

95113-tom-landry-strategy-football-deluxe-edition-dos-front-cover.jpg

tom-landry-strategy-football-deluxe-edition_12.png

hqdefault.jpg

k1vxhj8.jpg

You can play it today.

I don't remember where I read this, but some website somewhere still thinks that is one of the best NFL games evar in 2020. I got it for like 50c at a computer game store in canberra in 1999 or something.

American football is boring but i love me some NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the SNES was pretty fun too.

Last edited:

Hudo

Some suggestions:

NES Open Tournament Golf:

Neo Turf Masters:

Windjammers (There's currently a Windjammers 2 in the works):

Re-Volt (not strictly a racing game per se but the best Mario Kart clone ever.):

Wave Race: Blue Storm:

Daytona USA 2001:

Burnout 3: Takedown (The best Burnout game by far):

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (Hot Pursuit (2010) is still my favorite NFS):

Ridge Racer Type-4

Sega Rally Revo (yeah, I liked it!):

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No love for Auto Modellista? Very underrated.

Do you mean Automobilista? I have #1 and the sequel currently in early access (finally VR support). It’s good fun and the Brazilian tracks benefit from me not knowing them but the tracks I know well are not accurate. Donington is an absolute mess tbh.

BigLee74

I really like this game, but i wouldn't call it pick up and play honestly. From the physics to the difficulty, its not exactly a casual experience

Wreckfest is an amazing game. Flatout on steroids. The only thing that really stops it being pick up and play are the massive load times!

Hopefully the new consoles sort that out, because I would then play it a whole lot more.

BaneIsPain

Do you mean Automobilista? I have #1 and the sequel currently in early access (finally VR support). It’s good fun and the Brazilian tracks benefit from me not knowing them but the tracks I know well are not accurate. Donington is an absolute mess tbh.

I never play the Automobilista. I mean the old PS2 game by Capcom.
Not really received well at the time but I have a blast.
2a42d7be6ac0eb5b57f7f3ed74720144.jpg

teezzy

Banned
I remember playing the hell out of NHL 98 on PC - it was incredible. I think it was the first PC version to take advantage of dedicated 3d graphics cards, and it looked amazing on my Voodoo 1.

I tried playing it on a friend's PS1 and it was like night and day because it looked and played like shit compared to a good PC. Amazingly, that year's game was the last to be released on the SNES and Genesis, so a lot was going on then.

I wish they'd bring NHL back to PC, next year might be the year with EA and GamePass being so buddy buddy.

The 16 bit NHLs are overrated but people get pissed if you say that. People talk about NHL 94 like it was some holy grail because they introduced one timers... like bro, the series only got better as it went on. NHL 94 is nostalgic but cmooon

They've added so much crap and all the skill stick stuff has freed up so many more buttons and techniques to put you in further control since, and all the new modes and online play. It's awesome

It's like when people online argue that Tekken 3 is better than Tekken 7. I get so heated. Take off the nostalgia goggles.

AgitatedTastyFrigatebird-size_restricted.gif

Vs.

OffbeatClassicAustraliancurlew-max-1mb.gif

"C'mon man!"

Discovered this on the Dreamcast. I know it was posted above but this is one of my favorites and a main reason I still have a DC ready to go in my entertainment setup. Was originally out on many platforms and has a community on PC making mods and adding content in 2020.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

20201024-010616.jpg

I had the Sakic version of 2004. You must had got in during the first batch of copies.

I can’t recommend NBA Ballers on PS2 enough.
  • Spiritual Successor to NBA Jam
  • 1v1 Streetball focus. Less about being good at actual basketball and more about doing flashy street moves.
  • Plays like the basketball version of Tony Hawk or SSX. Super entertaining to watch others play.
  • Dope soundtrack.

MV5BOGNiOTUyNTItODgzNS00Y2IyLWJiZjItNWY1NjBiMDBjNGQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Slightly off topic but I've spend a ton of time on this:
Rd5VY0Un3rchP6QVk6MLGc49u6UEM-bkmQtnHbj2bnoYzCRsbjBBhYhZAgrL2CPJeaqQGuygdPvcWwk15vYBtmDdkVuyNukQy-wlsKSjwDmIj83k4vn0PiFKJRGOVg

Objectively it's not a great game. Basic graphics and it's just a bunch of simple minigames for different Olympic sports. But it's a ton of fun to play with friends and it's simple enough that even people who aren't that experienced with videogames can be quite competitive (unlike a lot of other party games).

More serious answer: I still love Driveclub.
91CNIX1L4CL._AC_SX385_.jpg

I'm not really into racing games but I tried this when they finally released the Ps+ edition and almost instantly got hooked and bought the full game. I quickly went from "let's check the nice graphics" to "I need a gold medal in everything!!!"
I liked the driving, it's more arcadey than Forza or Gran Turismo but still fairly grounded and not some over the top Fast&Furious style thing like the newer Need for Speed. I also really liked how it isn't open world and opts to take you all over the world instead. You got the forest of Canada, the desert of Chile, the snowy mountains of Norway, etc
Also the Windshield view during the rain is still one of my favorite looking things this gen:
OHkvN9S.gif

A 60fps update on Ps5 would have been amazing.

Between the connection issues at launch, 30fps lock and the "not quite Sim, not quite arcade" gameplay I guess I get why racing fans didn't like it. But as a very casual racing game player I loved it.
It's a shame Evolution never got a chance to work on a sequel, and this one will slowly fade into obscurity since it got completely delisted.

Last edited:

Guileless

I loved Drive Club too, but it was really polarizing. I may reinstall it just for the hell of it here before the 120 FPS onslaught in a few weeks.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

this is what real gameplay looks like. RIP

but Fzero GX is the goat obviously

For some reason I’m getting serious Speedball 2 vibes (and Speedball 2 is the finest sports game ever made btw).

Top Bottom