• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon sucks according to ign

LordOfChaos

Yeah it sucks according to me too

The weird blur and lens flare filters aren't helping anything and the whole thing has a low rent vibe to a surprising degree, between the moments when there's clearly budget. Under that visual is an entirely generic and not well thought out sci fi.

Did they really just have to go with Nazi attire, not shake things up even a little?
Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

Billbofet

This movie sucked. I was digging the first 45 or so minutes and then it just got progressively worse and worse.
By the end, I just didn't give a shit at all.
I would say I like most of ZS's output, but this is one of the worst. His, usually, over the top visuals felt tame, predictable, and boring here.
Too bad, as I wanted to like this one.

Hardensoul

This movie sucked. I was digging the first 45 or so minutes and then it just got progressively worse and worse.
By the end, I just didn't give a shit at all.
I would say I like most of ZS's output, but this is one of the worst. His, usually, over the top visuals felt tame, predictable, and boring here.
Too bad, as I wanted to like this one.
This was supposed to be one movie but it got split up into two parts. Also issue was this was supposed to be R rating but got heavily edited down for PG-13.

I thought it was ok, I had issues with the bad dialogue and too much slo mo!

I’ll likely watch the directors cut and will watch part 2.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't have a hate boner for Snyder nor and I a fan. Started watching it. So far it's better than TFA the girl boss is better/more believable than Mary Sue. What's up with the gratuitous random slow mo? That's all I got so far.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Did they really just have to go with Nazi attire, not shake things up even a little?

It’s not Nazis. It’s this:

mbxMVhJ.jpg

The entire aesthetic of the human army is basically the Astra Militarum.

l71G4Ve.jpg
Z2bbmot.jpg

And that long ass spaceship, with the big prow at the front? This:

aRkfiwq.jpg

All of the plagiarism wouldn’t be so bad (GW aren’t exactly innocent on that front), if it didn’t mean people weren’t being shown to a lot of themes and ideas from 40K, but having them ruined by being in a bad film.

Last edited:

Neff

Let's keep going

I'll see your Starchaser and raise you

PvoHta.jpg
osOf4O.jpg

That’s rather Snyder’s Achilles heel. He struggles to understand what a story is trying to say. His only concern are visuals.

Pretty much. The man has excellent technical knowledge and compositional instincts, but his approach to storytelling isn't complicated, and a lot of the themes and subtext (when others are writing for him) seems to fly over his head. His sense of structure, rhythm and dramatic execution in particular is superficially adolescent. Apparently Rebel Moon is based on his own fanfic he wrote aged 11 after seeing Star Wars, and having read a synopsis I can believe it.

He makes damn good trailers though, I'll say that.

40 mins in and I'm bored to tears

Edit: movie sucked ass. Probably the most boring and derivative sci-fi movies I've ever seen. Also predictable - once I realized that each member of their ragtag group was a distinct non-white race, it was obvious that one of the two white men would turn coat. What a surprise!

The best part of this movie is knowing that RedLetterMedia will tear it a new asshole.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Just finished watching.

The vulva and penis for the portal and ship at the beginning was a bit heavy handed but developed with fertility rites and culminated grounding romantic storyline tensions. Recovered quickly by introducing threat.

Villain was always perilous. The final battle with the lead chasing him down was excellent, like she wanted to make sure he was dead even with a spaceship crashing on him. That he survived their encounter was really fun use of that villain trope. Especially with the lore explanation in the final scene. That scene helping plenty with the General too and fleshing out the lead which didn't seem to get enough time for with everyone else.

Hyped for the next one.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I enjoyed it more than I expected.

It’s 7 Samurai X Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Cyberpunk2077 etc.

The 100lb super model playing the Arnold Schwarzenegger role is a bit cringe but at least she’s attractive.

It kinda feels like director, what’s his name, pasted together a bunch of short films to show the big studios he’s capable of making their next franchise film. The writing definitely sucks but I’d call it a fun failure of a movie.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So apparently there's an upcoming R rated directors cut, think I'll hold off until that comes out and see if it improves over this neutered version. I enjoy Snyders visionary style, he can do eye candy really well, like M Bay, they may not make ground breaking films but they sure as shit make visually entertaining films enjoyed much better with a load of beers on a Friday night

near

Gold Member
Finished it last night. It has a lot of problems, most of which I feel are within the screenplay and cut. It only gets good for the last 1/3 of its runtime, at which point the film is basically over. A good portion of that runtime is the setup, which is so poorly executed that it is boring beyond redemption. Scenes that would bridge the boring parts look obviously restrained from depicting anything too violent, and this I think really holds those moments back because they're clearly written and performed to be exactly that - violent. It also feels thematically all over the place.

A lot of scenes look really nice it has the Snyder touch all over it, and you can tell he was the cinematographer once again. But this one felt weird, like it felt off. Not sure if it was the CG, or he's camera panning, it just felt off. I also fucking hate the blur/focusing he uses early on. Not fan.

Overall, it sucks ass. Army of the Dead is actually a better film. The only thing that can possibly convince me to watch Part Two, is if an R-rated cut is released and it fixes all these problems.

I expected nothing but I'm still disappointed..
I'm amazed how forgettable/bad character, story is. And even a dog running has slow motion now....
Snyder should consider to make Bollywood movie. 2/10

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s essentially Magnificent Seven except in a setting that’s taken out of Warhammer 40K and absolutely nothing is particularly done well. At first I thought I could live with a derivative retelling but it doesn’t even do that well and makes the Denzel Washington western look like the epitome of film making.

I was pretty disappointed.

The story in a nutshell:

Belisarius Cawl has usurped the Imperial Throne and appointed Commissar Atticus Noble to end the Heresy in the fringe systems. He visits an innocuous village selling grain to the rebels on his Imperial Dreadnaught and deploys a detachment of poorly trained South African Cadians and a retired Man of Iron from the Mechanicus that has given up fighting.

Unknown to him, a former Sister of Battle resides in the village and with the help of the Man of Iron defeats the Cadians. She then recruits the villager Dario Naharis to seek out the Rebellion and ventures to Mos Eisley. Once there they meet up with Irish Han Solo who knows a few people that can help along the way.

They recruit Jake Sully, played by a young Matthew Mcconaughey, who wins his freedom by taming a black Toruk named Bucephalus. They then go to a Hive world where they recruit a dour former Ordo Xenos Inquistor who saves a child from a Drider that’s been murdering children. The next stop before meeting the rebellion is to Space Rome where they recruit the famed but failed rebel General Maximus Meridius Spartacus from the gladiator fighting pits.

The Rebellion is reluctant to aide a bunch of strangers they just met but after some minor debate, the group picks up their last member, the rebel co-leader Tyr Anasazi and a few of his crew.

After a brief betrayal where Dario meets his alternate universe self and an example of why you can never trust a space Irishman, the build up you were hoping for passes before you realized that that was in fact “it”.

Last edited:

Alebrije

An average movie, nothing new and a lot of nosence scenes. The old rebel vs Empire formula.

The villian becomes a Joke very fast...the action scenes are just slow motion stuff

At least is "free" on Netflix and it's not on theaters.

This movie would have flopped hard in theaters.
It apparently received a limited theatrical release last weekend, which is why these reviews came out a week before the streaming release.

But I can't find any numbers on how much it made during that weekend. Either they pulled the theatrical release at the last minute or it bombed so hard that it didn't even chart.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Movie is way to long as is, dc won’t save it.
It’s not offensively bad, just an unimaginative and uneventful movie. Sad to see so much money, electricity and man hours wasted on this… and there is a second part? Holly tax write off Batman.

Toons

Just finished watching.

The vulva and penis for the portal and ship at the beginning was a bit heavy handed but developed with fertility rites and culminated grounding romantic storyline tensions. Recovered quickly by introducing threat.

Villain was always perilous. The final battle with the lead chasing him down was excellent, like she wanted to make sure he was dead even with a spaceship crashing on him. That he survived their encounter was really fun use of that villain trope. Especially with the lore explanation in the final scene. That scene helping plenty with the General too and fleshing out the lead which didn't seem to get enough time for with everyone else.

Hyped for the next one.

Wait Snyder did a penis ship AGAIN?

Army of the Dead is one of the worst major releases I've ever seen, but overall his filmography is pretty good. And his superhero movies are all good (the director's cuts). Certainly not above criticism, but things have gotten weird when discussing him and his films in recent times. Seething hatred all over. Meanwhile the MCU and DCEU are putting out stinker after stinker.
I think Snyder is a nice guy with some good films, but his recent output is terrible. I don’t hate him, but he’s cranking out turds right now.
He doesn’t deserve hate. His movies aren’t good atm though.

FunkMiller

It’s essentially Magnificent Seven except in a setting that’s taken out of Warhammer 40K and absolutely nothing is particularly done well. At first I thought I could live with a derivative retelling but it doesn’t even do that well and makes the Denzel Washington western look like the epitome of film making.

I was pretty disappointed.

The story in a nutshell:

Belisarius Cawl has usurped the Imperial Throne and appointed Commissar Atticus Noble to end the Heresy in the fringe systems. He visits an innocuous village selling grain to the rebels on his Imperial Dreadnaught and deploys a detachment of poorly trained South African Cadians and a retired Man of Iron from the Mechanicus that has given up fighting.

Unknown to him, a former Sister of Battle resides in the village and with the help of the Man of Iron defeats the Cadians. She then recruits the villager Dario Naharis to seek out the Rebellion and ventures to Mos Eisley. Once there they meet up with Irish Han Solo who knows a few people that can help along the way.

They recruit Jake Sully, played by a young Matthew Mcconaughey, who wins his freedom by taming a black Toruk named Bucephalus. They then go to a Hive world where they recruit a dour former Ordo Xenos Inquistor who saves a child from a Drider that’s been murdering children. The next stop before meeting the rebellion is to Space Rome where they recruit the famed but failed rebel General Maximus Meridius Spartacus from the gladiator fighting pits.

The Rebellion is reluctant to aide a bunch of strangers they just met but after some minor debate, the group picks up their last member, the rebel co-leader Tyr Anasazi and a few of his crew.

After a brief betrayal where Dario meets his alternate universe self and an example of why you can never trust a space Irishman, the build up you were hoping for passes before you realized that that was in fact “it”.

I would be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that during the production of the DCEU movies, Henry Cavill talked to Zack Snyder about Warhammer 40k, and his desire to see a live action 40k movie made. He probably thought Snyder would be interested in making a 40k movie, and was trying to recruit him.

I'd like to know what Henry feels about Snyder going off and making his own, dollar store, terrible version of 40k, instead of being part of the real thing.

Ammogeddon

I would be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that during the production of the DCEU movies, Henry Cavill talked to Zack Snyder about Warhammer 40k, and his desire to see a live action 40k movie made. He probably thought Snyder would be interested in making a 40k movie, and was trying to recruit him.

I'd like to know what Henry feels about Snyder going off and making his own, dollar store, terrible version of 40k, instead of being part of the real thing.
Just the thought of Henry trying to recruit Snyder for 40K sends shivers down my spine, especially after watching Rebel Moon.

thefool

I sincerely wanted to like it (OG Space Opera) but it's just not good. Its so awkwardly paced, one minute we're in an alley, next our protagonist is putting her life on the line, on a different planet, for some random taming a giant bird. What even happened with this guy? I don't remember more lines of him besides acknowledging the asian lady. World building is Anthony Hopkins, twice, telling us a bunch of shit (and a couple of flashbacks).

I could forgive all of that if it was enthralling, had a sense of adventure, it looked great or action scenes were amazing but, sadly, that's all absent too.

And its biggest flaw, wtf is with the casting. Besides 50kg girls kicking ass, which looks bloody ridiculous, why does the villain looks like your average premier league fan?
Everyone is so forgettable. Every face, every line, every actor here is disposable. Where's my Alec Guiness/Cushing/Earl Jones/Ford/Fisher, etc. to add some gravitas to the silliness.

Last edited:
They're both complete shit, but at least Rebel Moon wasn't filmed with lens that blurred everything or a broken camera with dead pixels...

next our protagonist is putting her life on the line, on a different planet, for some random taming a giant bird. What even happened with this guy? I don't remember more lines of him besides acknowledging the asian lady.
His character is just "buff guy that is allergic to shirts".

Also, the fact that the 'alien creature' in that scene is literally JUST A GRIFFIN is a perfect example of how creatively bankrupt the movie is.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Just saw it last night. Its basically Star Wars: McDonalds edition.

The major grip is that fleshing out the characters just doesn't exist. Rebel Moon also has issues establishing character:
  • In one scene, its Star Wars.
  • In the next, it reminds you of Dune
  • Then it turns a little more grimm, but it feels like Warhammer 40K.
  • And just when you couldn't think of anything else, there is also Blade Runner
So to me, Rebel Moon takes a lot of cues from famous sci-fi epics and mashes them together. The result isn't a great movie, but if you are into somewhat competent sci-fi with little to no depth, Rebel Moon's quite alright.

Sometimes you just enjoy something for what it is.

near

Gold Member
Army of the Dead had awful dialogue, terrible characters and bad pacing. Rebel Moon doesn't even make an effort in this regard. The screenplay is by far the worst he's ever worked on, it doesn't help that the performances were also kind of amateur at times. It's really bad, and I tend to like bad films from time to time, definitely not this one.

FunkMiller

Just the thought of Henry trying to recruit Snyder for 40K sends shivers down my spine, especially after watching Rebel Moon.

To be fair, I think Henry just enthuses about 40k with everyone he comes across if he gets the chance. And I love him for that. He has no shame about his nerd credentials 😊

Liljagare

Lol, I don't get NeoGAF on films. This was a fun ride, good effects and a decent story. Had a good time watching it.

Never trust the GAF when it comes to movies, tons of people loved crying Mcface Kylo Ren ffs. Biggest crybaby ever, was there even a scene without him crying?

Fun movie, straight ripoff of 40K, but who cares.

Ironbunny

Lol, I don't get NeoGAF on films. This was a fun ride, good effects and a decent story. Had a good time watching it.

Never trust the GAF when it comes to movies, tons of people loved crying Mcface Kylo Ren ffs. Biggest crybaby ever, was there even a scene without him crying?

Well people like different things. Some of them dont make sense

I hung out a few times with a dude who worked closely with Snyder on Sucker Punch and Watchmen during production and post production. He was back in our crap home town at Christmas. After a party night, at 4:30 or so, he pulled out his laptop and showed us all kinds of stuff from Watchmen. This was way before anything had been shown, pretty early in production. Was awesome.
I hung out with him again in LA before coachella one year as well. No snyder goodness that time.
He said Snyder was the nicest guy and was inspiring to work with, really creative.

FunkMiller

Who the fuck loves Disney Star Wars around here?

Toons

The amount of flack he is getting is just insane to see. It's like he personally touched some of you in your peepee zone lmao.
Grow the fuck up it's just movies, and spend less time on stuff you hate and more on stuff you like (Marvel bullshit for most).

Also, MoS and BvS are top 10 highest grossing DC movies so I wouldn't call that anything close to bad, let alone put the downfall of DC on his chest. Warner did this to themselves

image.png

As someone said: before 2013, Superman only had one true hit film. Wonder Woman was an unknown character to the GA and Aquaman was considered a literal joke. Then DCEU averaged 815m a film when Snyder was still there.

Wonder woman? An unknown character to the general audience?

Are you high? She's been a household name for young on 60 years.

Blaming all of the DC movies failings in everything but Snyder is laughable. Aquaman made more money than both superman movies becaue aquaman was actually good. Snyder had his hands all over the initial DCEU movies and those are the ones that killed brand interest.

A literal captain marvel movie made more money than a movie debuting Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. There is zero excuse, and his DLC directors cuts dont solve the foundational issues that he approaches every film with.

I'd watch even the worst MCU flick over any of his DC projects, easily, but thats beside the point. A good knowing should stand on its own, not only in comparison to other franchises. Snyder should've never been given characters this big, because he doesn't understand them. He needs to keep doing his own thing, to middling/bad/occasionally decent results, because he's quite possibly damaged superman on screen for the foreseeable future.

He actually seems like a nice guy, and doesn't take himself seriously which are great traits. But he's not nearly good enough of a filmmaker to deserve the fanbsse he has.

Last edited:

thefool

I sincerely wanted to like it (OG Space Opera) but it's just not good. Its so awkwardly paced, one minute we're in an alley, next our protagonist is putting her life on the line, on a different planet, for some random taming a giant bird. What even happened with this guy? I don't remember more lines of him besides acknowledging the asian lady. World building is Anthony Hopkins, twice, telling us a bunch of shit (and a couple of flashbacks).

I could forgive all of that if it was enthralling, had a sense of adventure, it looked great or action scenes were amazing but, sadly, that's all absent too.

And its biggest flaw, wtf is with the casting. Besides 50kg girls kicking ass, which looks bloody ridiculous, why does the villain looks like your average premier league fan?
Everyone is so forgettable. Every face, every line, every actor here is disposable. Where's my Alec Guiness/Cushing/Earl Jones/Ford/Fisher, etc. to add some gravitas to the silliness.

I want to add I had no idea a different cut (longer and with a different rating) will be released, which can, potentially, amend some issues (namely pacing). It is tiresome tho that every film these days aims for such a long duration length. Cinema should be the art of being concise.

Last edited:
That sucked, some of the lore seems pretty interesting (even if ripped from Warhammer) but the cast, the action sequences and cgi were terrible

My personal wtf moments were
  • Porn parody Conan the Barbarian riding Buckbeak from Harry Potter
  • Balisarius' wig
  • All that build up and introduction speech for Bloodaxe, only for him to just die re-creating that slow-mo 300 shot. Imagine being called Bloodaxe, the 2nd most wanted man in the galaxy, and having your yolo move fucking dodged and uno-reversed by Carl the turret #45 guy.
  • The shitty laser gun sounds from the 80's soundfx pocket toy
  • Recruiting a "Genius general" whose backstory is how they got their whole army wiped out by surrendering. Fucking legend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom