• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon sucks according to ign

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
6d324ac72117d81807f2c4ea0b764b15.jpg
Oh look, two bitches.

Dane

For all i've hear about this guy in the last 15 years or so, he's good at writing but not at directing, why is he's that revered after all these flops? Is it all because of Watchmen being one of the few mature comic hero movies?.

Last edited:
For all i've hear about this guy in the last 15 years or so, he's good at writing but not at directing,
It's the exact opposite, actually. He's a fine visual director but the moment he's involved with the story, it usually falls apart. See: Sucker Punch, his DC movies, Army of the Dead, etc.
why is he's that revered after all these flops? Is it all because of Watchmen being one of the few mature comic hero movies?.
He directed some solid movies in the beginning of his career. Dawn of the Dead is one of the best remakes ever made (written by James Gunn btw), and yes Watchmen was a good (but not perfect) adaptation of what was once regarded as an 'unfilmable' comic book. 300 is well regarded as well but I'm not a huge fan of it, personally.

The recent 'reverence' for him is just fanboy bullshit. Some fans just can't accept that his DC movies are mostly mediocre at best, and are just being petty because James Gunn took over and Matt Reeves has his own Batman universe.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The self-proclaimed: 'the leading film critic of her generation'

Its laughable, announces herself as special on her book jacket because "she succeeded in an industry not designed for her". Interesting, because I see a lot of people in that industry being exactly like her, politically, socially, and culturally, and absolutely fucking noone from the other side of the aisle anymore!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Never forget Zack Snyder stated his ideal Batman film, one he considers actually adult and high quality, would feature batman being ass raped in prison.

Here’s the quote for anyone who can’t believe it:

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

The fact they gave this clown the keys to the DC kingdom is still as hilarious as it is tragic.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I generally love Snyder movies and I fully expect this to have great cinematography and action and the story and dialogue to be average.
A review I read earlier specifically called out the cinematography and action as bad because he decided to do the cinematography himself for this one and the story is all set up and never gets going.

CGNoire

I love Snyder's films for the same reason I love Michael Bay films. I find them fun. They're not supposed to be meaningful or thought-provoking. They both know how to work the camera and add visual flair where it matters. Fuuuuck the haters.
This is where Im at too. I do wish both would join up with better writers or do what Cameron did and marry one.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I love Snyder's films for the same reason I love Michael Bay films. I find them fun. They're not supposed to be meaningful or thought-provoking.

Snyder thinks they are, as do his fans. That's kind of the problem. If he just made popcorn flicks without all the pretentious stuff he doesn't entirely understand on top, his stuff would be fine. Good, even. Michael Bay knows where his talents lie, and doesn't go outside his wheelhouse. Snyder constantly thinks he's smarter than he actually is, and ruins most of his movies because of it.

Again - Dawn Of The Dead remake is absolutely fucking great, because it plays to his strengths. It's simple, unpretentious fun. He can handle that. He just can't handle anything that requires deeper thought, context or complexity.

He thinks he's (and wants to be) Chris Nolan, but he's actually Paul WS Anderson, or Michael Bay. No shame in that.

near

Gold Member
Snyder thinks they are, as do his fans. That's kind of the problem. If he just made popcorn flicks without all the pretentious stuff he doesn't entirely understand on top, his stuff would be fine. Good, even. Michael Bay knows where his talents lie, and doesn't go outside his wheelhouse. Snyder constantly thinks he's smarter than he actually is, and ruins most of his movies because of it.

Again - Dawn Of The Dead remake is absolutely fucking great, because it plays to his strengths. It's simple, unpretentious fun. He can handle that. He just can't handle anything that requires deeper thought, context or complexity.

He thinks he's (and wants to be) Chris Nolan, but he's actually Paul WS Anderson, or Michael Bay. No shame in that.
Sure he indulges he's films into topics that like you say come across pretentious, I credit him for the attempt. There isn't an art film I don't find pretentious anyway. Just look at every Terrence Malick film, holy fuck they're pretentious but loved because they're considered arthouse. I find Sucker Punch to be he's best attempt at trying to appease two audiences, it doesn't quite land, but he gets more scrutiny for it than he should.

He doesn't think he's Nolan, Bay, or Anderson. He's crafted he's own style and has become recognized in the industry as Zack :messenger_heart: Snyder!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sure he indulges he's films into topics that like you say come across pretentious, I credit him for the attempt. There isn't an art film I don't find pretentious anyway. Just look at every Terrence Malick film, holy fuck they're pretentious but loved because they're considered arthouse. I find Sucker Punch to be he's best attempt at trying to appease two audiences, it doesn't quite land, but he gets more scrutiny for it than he should.

He doesn't think he's Nolan, Bay, or Anderson. He's crafted he's own style and has become recognized in the industry as Zack :messenger_heart: Snyder!

Malick's movies are loved because he's a very accomplished storyteller and visual artist.

It's nice for you to credit Snyder with an attempt at being pretentious. The rest of us would rather he just made half decent movies, instead of the endless parade of self indulgent, poorly executed duds he makes now.

near

Gold Member
Malick's movies are loved because he's a very accomplished storyteller and visual artist.

It's nice for you to credit Snyder with an attempt at being pretentious. The rest of us would rather he just made half decent movies, instead of the endless parade of self indulgent, poorly executed duds he makes now.
What I mean is he's attempt at commentary, not attempt to be pretentious - like what? lol

He's a very much style over substance director, and is easily one of the most visually distinct directors in the industry. The colour grade he uses, one-shots with no cuts; he's cinematic technique with camera panning, even the way he storyboards comic book adaptations. A brilliant visual storyteller. An underrated director. It would be ideal to have he's films complimented with better writing, but this does not reflect poorly on Snyder's ability as a director in my opinion, and he's films are at the bare minimum "half decent".

Can you watch this and not be impressed with the shots? The man does not need a cinematographer.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What I mean is he's attempt at commentary, not attempt to be pretentious - like what? lol

He's a very much style over substance director, and is easily one of the most visually distinct directors in the industry. The colour grade he uses, one-shots with no cuts; he's cinematic technique with camera panning, even the way he storyboards comic book adaptations. A brilliant visual storyteller. An underrated director. It would be ideal to have he's films complimented with better writing, but this does not reflect poorly on Snyder's ability as a director in my opinion, and he's films are at the bare minimum "half decent".

Can you watch this and not be impressed with the shots? The man does not need a cinematographer.

Those scenes in the video were incredible! Even if you don't like the movies, you can't deny his eye for great shots and cinematography!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There are people who like Zack Snyder films?

He doesn't think he's Nolan, Bay, or Anderson. He's crafted he's own style and has become recognized in the industry as Zack Snyder!
Defending Snyder by trying to shit on Malick.

star wars comedy GIF by Hyper RPG

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at his log, I've only seen the 300 movies, Wonder Woman 1, and Man of Steel. I liked them. I saw bits of pieces of Watchmen (the only parts I remember is that giant god like hero kicking ass). No doubt the plots seem as thin and predictable as ever, but I enjoy his giant battle scenes and style. Although the final fight in MoS was way too long. It went on forever like a video game boss battle. He's an all style, zero substance kind of director.

Toons

Looking at his log, I've only seen the 300 movies, Wonder Woman 1, and Man of Steel. I liked them. I saw bits of pieces of Watchmen (the only parts I remember is that giant god like hero kicking ass). No doubt the plots seem as thin and predictable as ever, but I enjoy his giant battle scenes and style. Although the final fight in MoS was way too long. It went on forever like a video game boss battle. He's an all style, zero substance kind of director.

He had script input on wonder woman 1, that movie was directed by patty Jenkins.

Snyder intends to put substance in a lot of his movies, but his concept of substance is... dubious to say the least. Man of steel infamously just shoves the American flag and Jesus imagery into shots, and it largely falls flat because there's nothing actually behind any of that imagery, Snyder just assumes you place weight on those things and thats enough to make the imagery more impactful. It doesn't feel earned.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looking at his log, I've only seen the 300 movies, Wonder Woman 1, and Man of Steel.

He didn't direct Wonder Woman.

He had script input on wonder woman 1, that movie was directed by patty Jenkins.

He got a "Story by" credit, which the WGA requires because Wonder Woman used the photograph from his BvS. The first draft of the screenplay was actually written by Allan Heinberg, but when he left to work on the TV show The Catch, Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns wrote the movie (the Snyder fans would HATE to know that since they literally want him dead), but due to a WGA rule Heinberg got sole credit.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its weird the hate boner some of you guys have for Snyder.

I'm not arguing he's the best film-maker ever, but Goddamn there's no way he's that bad either!

Objective worst-case is that he's middling.

Dawn of the Dead remake was great.

300 was visually revolutionary even if ultimately its less than the sum of its parts.

Watchmen has its problems, but it works extremely hard to be faithful to book/series that was considered unflimable for years. Its certainly light-years better than that abortion of a TV show bearing the name.

Sucker Punch was gutted by the studio/MPAA, accused of misogyny, and is actually a whole lot better than its reputation suggests if you see the unrated version - as it actually makes sense with the missing material reinstated.

Man Of Steel is for me one of the better Superman movies, and really is only let down by an excess of CG at the climax.

BvS, again, is way better in its unedited form. Yes, its got its issues but for me is way better than Marvel's Civil War, a worse and even less plausible story that apparently people gave a pass to as at that point the red brand could do no wrong. It also pays off -by design- the stuff that people bitched about with the end of MoS - in the sense that Bruce Wayne's concerns about Supe's potential threat doesn't come entirely out of left field.

As to Suicide Squad... well there we have an actual example of Snyder's version vs the Studio's mandated cut... and everyone knows which was worse!

Is this the greatest (selective) filmography in the space? Hell, no. But you cannot argue that there aren't things worthy of praise in there either.

The reality is that Snyder would have been best employed to adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, as that's unquestionably a massive influence on how he envisions the DC characters, and is clearly way more in tune with his personal tastes.

But of course, that wouldn't fit into the whole "cinematic universe" marketing lollapalooza initiated by Marvel's hot run... so this is what he was allowed to make.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Don’t really care what reviewers say, since it will be on Netflix. We can judge for ourselves.

My only complaint for Snyder’s releases on Netflix is the cinematography. The last Zombie movie had the blurred effects that was hard for me to watch.

Rebel seem to had the blurred effect in some trailers but didn’t seem as bad. Hope that’s the extent on those effects.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I'm not arguing he's the best film-maker ever, but Goddamn there's no way he's that bad either!

300 was visually revolutionary even if ultimately its less than the sum of its parts.

Watchmen has its problems, but it works extremely hard to be faithful to book/series that was considered unflimable for years. Its certainly light-years better than that abortion of a TV show bearing the name.

Sucker Punch was gutted by the studio/MPAA, accused of misogyny, and is actually a whole lot better than its reputation suggests if you see the unrated version - as it actually makes sense with the missing material reinstated.

Man Of Steel is for me one of the better Superman movies, and really is only let down by an excess of CG at the climax.

BvS, again, is way better in its unedited form. Yes, its got its issues but for me is way better than Marvel's Civil War, a worse and even less plausible story that apparently people gave a pass to as at that point the red brand could do no wrong. It also pays off -by design- the stuff that people bitched about with the end of MoS - in the sense that Bruce Wayne's concerns about Supe's potential threat doesn't come entirely out of left field.

As to Suicide Squad... well there we have an actual example of Snyder's version vs the Studio's mandated cut... and everyone knows which was worse!

Is this the greatest (selective) filmography in the space? Hell, no. But you cannot argue that there aren't things worthy of praise in there either.

The reality is that Snyder would have been best employed to adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, as that's unquestionably a massive influence on how he envisions the DC characters, and is clearly way more in tune with his personal tastes.

But of course, that wouldn't fit into the whole "cinematic universe" marketing lollapalooza initiated by Marvel's hot run... so this is what he was allowed to make.

I agree with just about everything you said ... Except one thing: he didn't do Suicide Squad. That was David Ayer.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
It's a Zack Snyder movie.
I expect cool visuals and mediocre everything else.
Going to have agree with you here! Unfortunately his last Zombie movie on Netflix gave me headache with the blurred effects.

Hope it’s good visual/action or just fun popcorn movie. I enjoy those too!

SJRB

Gold Member

Snyder's unique visual flair was perfect for comic book movies. His casting was excellent as well, minus Eisenberg as Luthor. But that character was terrible because the script was terrible. Which is often Snyder's biggest problem.

It also didn't help that MoS and especially BvS released during the peak of Marvel popularity. People expected lighthearted, funny, witty movies and Snyder delivered a pretty serious, bleak series of movies that didn't resonate with a lot of people. It was such a drastic change from Marvel. Also, BvS being butchered in the editing room for the theatrical release was outrageous. The director's cut literally is a different, infinitely better movie.

I love Man of Steel, I love Batman v Superman director's cut and I love the extended edition of Justice League. None of them are perfect but I feel Snyder's movie were and still are under an order of magnitude more scrutiny than the Marvel movies.

CGNoire

Yep. Him and Micheal Bay graduated from the famed Pasedena Art Center College. Numerous Top Notch visual directors have graduated from there. Would attend myself but it costs a fortune.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Finally watched the trailer. Looks like an awesome popcorn action flick. The designs look amazing and it's got the usual synder lense flare.

I really doubt it's as bad as the reviews say. I'm not a sender fan but I enjoy his stuff even if say the plot to sucker punch was messed up. Like J jason10mm said nudity would have helped🫠

Last edited:

Hugare

You guys bashing the woman, but still, she seems right? Everyone is saying the movie sucks. So shouldnt we focus on the movie for a sec?

Snyder is hit or miss with me, more hit than miss, honestly (Watchmen is a masterpiece imo, loved Justice League, enjoyed Man of Steel and BvS), but this was obviously from the first trailer that it was going to be a miss

Looked really, really bad, and I would be surprised if it turned out great. Unfortunately, doesnt seem to be the case.

Snyder shoud let others write his movies.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm somewhat... well, content I have no idea what this thread is about. A series/movie and ign's op about it.

Its about SW right?

Oh btw not to demean those who liked some. Just a hard confirmation that I'm a casual.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I didn't expect much. Probably will be a fun popcorn flick to watch with a couple beers.

Bloodsport rules.

bloodsport-kung-fu.gif
People expect every movie to be 11/10 and change their life’s.

Nobody watches movies for fun anymore. I wonder what they would do if it was 30 years ago at a blockbuster and the only info you had was the art on the tape itself.

Trilobit

Those scenes in the video were incredible! Even if you don't like the movies, you can't deny his eye for great shots and cinematography!

He does have a very good eye for it and I can't deny that his movies are very pleasing to the eyes. The problem I have with him is that he's trying too hard to combine comic book style with his cinematography. The styles and poses work in graphic novels because a still image needs to convey as much kinetic energy as possible, but in movies his obsession with awesome looking scenes becomes a hindrance, like when he uses slowmotion in scenes to make them look even more like comic book stills. I felt that it was particularly apparent in Batman vs Superman. There were amazing looking scenes that didn't have the emotional weight behind them. I have seen the same thing in comic books also, especially Batman and Superman stories. If he did that only in the end it would be more palatable, but now he sprinkles it from beginning to end.

Nolan made a cinematic trilogy about a superhero with roots in comics, while Snyder makes comicbook style superhero movies based on comic books. I felt he was going in the right direction director-wise with Man of Steel. Sure it had Snyderish parts I wish were cut out, but the fighting scenes worked wonderfully on the silver screen and Clark felt like a real character. If he had continued on that path I think he could have created much more enjoyable DCU movies.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
My issue with Snyder is that he has pretty bad dialogue and tends to make even pedestrian moments into "sloooooo-mooooooo EPICNESSNESSNESS!". He doesn't know how to pace a film, build up properly to a key action scene, and make the action tell us the story. His films often feel like "we thought of these 12 really cool scenes, now lets make some talky stuff in between them", much like a lot of recent marvel films. His adaptations work far better for me because then the pacing and narrative are out of his hands.

Top Bottom