• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really Annoying sections of games That Almost Made You Say F It?

right now, i'm going through my first ever replay of ffxiii (don't ask why). my answer: everything in ffxiii before chapter 11...

Barneyco

I remember the original Max Payne had a part where you had to walk on a balance beam with a loud baby crying. Maybe it was just a nightmare that I still remember.

intbal

Timed vehicle platforming in Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions.
It's much harder than it sounds.

DXUpTON.jpg

This game was published by Activision. I would love to submit myself to its glorious tortures again through backwards compatibility.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oof this one was rough. Sands of Time still goated tho.
Yeah, it is.

Actually, on my recent replay of this game I totally cheesed that fight. I had a fully charged dagger so I just fired that shit up and wrecked these guys. It was over within seconds, lol. And I also learned that neat trick where if you do a wall rebound attack against the blue guys, it will be pretty much a one-hit knockout and they'll be immediately primed for a finisher. It's a really helpful tactic.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
God Of War 1 (first game) has like a shitton of them:

- EVERY gorgona fight. Each of them. Fuck them. Fuck all the dumb random QTE that has no place in an action game to execute.

- One section where you have to move a box before some spikes come from the floor and kill you, not because of the design but because the game collisions sometimes doesn't work properly and the rest of the time they just don't work at all, so triggering Kratos to move the box was like a miracle after pressing the button 3 times in front of it.

- Hades trial or whatever it calls, same reason as above, too many times you don't even move kratos and he starts falling or clipping though the surface as if the collision wasn't playtested at all. Also, Kratos tend to clip or slip radomly when jumping the spinning blades there "just because", even when not moving the stick at all. Fuck it and the programmers that made that shit.

- Hell journey... the colliders on all spinning blades are too out of place and walking surfaces so slippy and with shit colliders that I felt I relied on luck instead of skills by passing through them. Oh, and the ones in the wall of spinning blade you have to climb is just sadistic untested bs... Which has another one after you finally beat the section.

- After having my patience for a very short game exhausted and wanted to finally finish it to never touch it again, the Ares combat gets good with 2 phases... But them the fucking "protect your family" phase... WHY? Fuck them, seriously.

- Oh, and after you thought you finally finished it, they put a last Ares phase on top.

It's a very short game that even then outlives its welcome by quite a big margin, I'll never understand how that shit got a sequel, it scapes my reasoning, WHY?

BTW, one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, one of the worst game I've ever play if it wasn't for graphics and music and some cool puzzles but they're swamped by basically anything else.

Last edited:
Sonic 3. The Carnival Night Barrel. I rented it on the original Genesis and never beat the game until years later when I bought the Sonic collection on the GameCube and GameFaqs was a thing.

Dead Space. The turret section. Beat it, but it took me more tries than I care to remember.

The Last of Us Part 2. 90% of the cutscenes. The story in the game is fucking dog shit and the characters do stupid crap without reason the whole way through.

Batiman

Banned
I was loving Alien isolation until after the xenomorph death scene. I’m gonna assume it comes back but after that scene it got so tedious. I read online that the game gets shot after that point so I didn’t bother. I was loving it for the most part even though horror games are not my thing. That game scares the shit out of me. Says a lot that I actually continued playing it in by the first place.

Batiman

Banned
I will say a blasphemous game here... DMC 5.
I quit the game after 3-4 hours. I couldn't stand playing as V. I get it, he controls animals... but I really disliked him and the style. it's a dmc game... how hard is it to understand that we want to paly as Dante?!
Nero also barely makes any sense. We already have a cool, strong guy... IT'S DANTE.
Just make a game to be played as 1 character from start to finish and allow to play as other characters after you finish it.

In dmc4, Nero was already a solution to a problem that they created. "we wanted to made dante an antagonist, so let's create Dante2"... And I Kinda liked dmc4 still. I finished it in 1 sitting. Sure, i never played it again but I enjoyed it.
One more thing about 5 - Nico is the worst. I can't stand her after some cutscenes. The music is also crap. It's this "lame on purpose" style. DMC3 was just cool. It is still just cool. DMC4 had some interesting tracks and A STYLE. 5 music is like a bad millenial music video.

Should I try 5 again? Should I give it another fair chance?
I felt the same way. I think you should give it another chance though. The last boss fight was amazing. I’m not even a big DMC fan.

Fret Runner

God of War: Ascension. Elevator section on hardest difficulty, can't remember the name of the part (trail of something I think)
Long ass non stop fight section with insta deaths and no health pick ups = Fuck you.
Patching in heath pick ups after a slogged through it = double fuck you.

Think I'm remembering it right atleast, it has been a while.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
In Zelda Skyward Sword for the Wii. Trying to control that damn bird using motion. If it had been only about the direction of the bird it would have been okay. But you needed to flap the wings. Anybody who played it back then knows what I am talking about.

Almost every scene in FFVII remake. And no - I don't mean because of the story changes - I mean because when you take the playmobil, text based game and make it realistic graphics with anime grunts the world falls apart.

Stand anywhere in the market or anywhere with NPCs and try this:

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f5f4168356e554473596a435373673d3d2d3333323830383838342e313438363164613036313963653133323432383738363632333238392e6a7067
I remember playing the game through with my wife and us both laughing hysterically at the fact that you're trying to lay low after blowing up the first reactor but you're literally the most noticeable people in the world.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
There was this "infinite" copy boss at the end of Mario rpg that I simply couldn't win. I remember I fought for so many hours, but simply wouldn't go down. I never finished the game because of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There was this "infinite" copy boss at the end of Mario rpg that I simply couldn't win. I remember I fought for so many hours, but simply wouldn't go down. I never finished the game because of it.
Oh there are plenty of times when I did give up. Force Unleashed on PC the section where you use the force to bring down a star destroyer. About wore away my mouse mat before just uninstalling. Later learned they fucked the PC controls and the section was a piece of piss with a controller.

Marvel's Spider-Man - the MJ/Miles sequences

Because OBVIOUSLY when I buy a Spider-Man game I want to play as his reckless powerless "I wanna be Lois Lane" girlfriend who constantly gets herself into dangerous situations, needs to be rescued, gets instakilled for making one mistake in those basic ass stealth sections, and isn't even grateful for being rescued. Honestly I don't get what Peter sees in MJ, I never really got the impression that she actually liked him throughout the game. He's got a way better dynamic with Black Cat.

Last edited:

Aces High

The Last of Us Part II most definitely had a few. Every time I thought the game was going to end it just somehow kept adding more shit to itself to keep on going. Last few hours were a struggle to say the least.
Yes. Part 1 was my GOAT game, but I disliked part 2 so much that it I can't enjoy replaying part 1. I'm still baffled how 1) ND could drop the ball so hard and 2) the game still managed to get those high review ratings.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well if we aren't talking "almost" but actually ditching the game, the list is VERY long.

But in terms of almost, the Fire Giant in Elden Ring. It really just felt like such an astronomical leap in difficulty. It was absurd. I tried cheesing it but they patched it. I watched youtubes for strats, still took me dozens of tries.

havoc00

Well if we aren't talking "almost" but actually ditching the game, the list is VERY long.

But in terms of almost, the Fire Giant in Elden Ring. It really just felt like such an astronomical leap in difficulty. It was absurd. I tried cheesing it but they patched it. I watched youtubes for strats, still took me dozens of tries.
list em

Thief1987

Car chase on Legend in Yakuza Kiwami, mostly because there are no checkpoints and you need to replay the whole level with boss fight before you even get to that sequence.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The original Mafia 1 race, pre-patch.

It was maddening. I was eventually able to win it legitimately. But it was almost a game killer, and it was for so many people. I

Last edited:
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. That level scaling is just so off. It's one thing to be on land. It's another when you're on ship combat. Unfortunately, ships are scaled outside the level system so if you didn't upgrade your shop and you had the misfortune of dealing with ships even 1 level above you. You are essentially fucked.

And you can't even go out of their invisible range or the mission is cancelled. Then there's the bounty hunters who can go from being 1 level below to serval tiers above. That was the moment I almost dropped the game entirely if it wasn't for that one lucky break of an enemy ship getting bugged and not attacking me.

havoc00

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. That level scaling is just so off. It's one thing to be on land. It's another when you're on ship combat. Unfortunately, ships are scaled outside the level system so if you didn't upgrade your shop and you had the misfortune of dealing with ships even 1 level above you. You are essentially fucked.

And you can't even go out of their invisible range or the mission is cancelled. Then there's the bounty hunters who can go from being 1 level below to serval tiers above. That was the moment I almost dropped the game entirely if it wasn't for that one lucky break of an enemy ship getting bugged and not attacking me.
Origins is leagues ahead of odyssey and Valhalla. Odyssey started all the bs

As soon as I found a fishing mini game in Monster Hunter world I uninstalled it.

I downloaded some Assassins Creed game recently on gamepass and didn’t get past the screen that assured me that some people who worked on the game are gender goblins. A sign that this isn’t a game for me if there ever was one.

Fredrik

Returnal - starting over with the pea shooter at death and not clearing the first boss in 9 hours literally made me hate not just the game but the rougelike genre too. I have some hilarious anger posts on the board about that.
Eventually I found out about the save cloud trick and then I loved it and finished it and it became my favorite PS game. And I can’t wait for Housemarque’s next game!

Gears of War 4 - The constructor gameplay. Is this Gears or War or a Tower Defense game? Absolutely hated all of that, the whole game felt like a different IP until second half when it turned into standard Gears, eventually ended on a good note and was about a 8/10 for me.

God of War Ragnarök - The companions solving the puzzles and the slow story sections with Loki and Angrboda nearly made me quit, but I kept going and it all turned about fairly enjoyable at the end.

No Man’s Sky - The settlement building mechanics, you go out search for resources and then you get a forced timers that literally stop your progression and essentially tell you to go play something else. So dumb. Feels like playing a mobile game where you try to avoid paying for some stupid virtual currency that you can use to erase the timer.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom - I guess I would exaggerate if I said it nearly got me to quit, it didn’t, but I really reeeally don’t like the breaking weapons. That mechanic makes searching for loot feel fairly pointless and can get you to try saving the good weapons for later so you just end up playing with trash weapons all the time and never get any real payoff from finding, or building, a great weapon. Still GOTY, both of them.

Last edited:
Origins is leagues ahead of odyssey and Valhalla. Odyssey started all the bs
I'm trying to do a back-to-back session for the AC RPG trilogy. Make no mistake, Origins set the groundwork for this, and Odyssey decided to snort cocaine on top.

My friend told me Valhalla is in the same vein but you said it's not even in the same tier which gives me hope.

Fredrik

I'm trying to do a back-to-back session for the AC RPG trilogy. Make no mistake, Origins set the groundwork for this, and Odyssey decided to snort cocaine on top.

My friend told me Valhalla is in the same vein but you said it's not even in the same tier which gives me hope.
Odyssey is my favorite of the three. Can feel like a chore if you try to do all the quests but the world and vegetation and water you’re traversing looks sooo good.
In Origin it’s just sand everywhere, and cloudy piss colored water, and the big ship combat is slow and annoying, great main character though and I generally enjoyed the story.
Valhalla have good gameplay but the characters are boring and the theme itself is just not interesting imo, I quit about 60 hours in.

Every Souls game has them, but I've always pushed through.

Oh except for Dark Souls 2 but that game is so bad it doesn't count. I also haven't played Elden Ring for a few months now since I'm stuck at a boss (for good reason).. But I'll get back to it eventually 🙂

foamdino

Batman Arkham Knight. The batmobile vs tank boss battle. Have to "sneak" around and destroy weak points, or cooling systems. Awful controlling batmobile, can be killed by the boss super easily and the checkpoints are at odd places so you go right back to the start not the start of that stage. Awful in every way. The one time I beat it I died to it's final shot and the checkpoint hadn't activated. So yeah F it. I was ok with the game apart from that single fight that made me drop it. Piece of shit design.

Top Bottom