• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, are you playing horror games this october?

Sleepwalker

There is a movie thread on the off topic section so figured why not have a gaming one? Anyone looking to tackle new horror games or blast through the ones in their backlog?

Considering we have had some decent horror games come out this year the selection should be quite good!

Currently in my library but not played

Dead Space Remake
RE4R separate ways
Callisto Protocol (half way through)
The Quarry
RE: Village (PSVR2)

Looking for more suggestions and opinions!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If you consider that 19" of venom can be horrifying, than yes.

Otherwise, no.

Tom Hardy Sony GIF by Venom Movie

Plan to tackle Callisto Protocol, but probably not in October.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hell yeah. Going to focus on some VR horror games.

Will probably play some horror themed games too that aren't necessarily "spooky".

Borealis

Neo Member
Im hoping that EA puts Dead Space Remake into EA play this month. If they do, then definitely. If not, I may try Calisto Protocol instead.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm a wimp but decided to give this a try

cb27694d95028f043301cb9d232229a15d5317a829ad5a2412a774e7e70f3173

Seems pretty spooky so far!

I cant even play Amnesia with the lights on with a headset.... While my son, 14, just loooooves games such as Phasmaphobia and such.

Im a little bitch... BUT I will play the Warzone Halloween bit. Just so I can play with my son and hear him laugh every time I shit myself from jumpscares.....

Ghosts of Verdansk was actually cool 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Schmick

Funny you mention it, because me and my friends have selected Amnesia: The Bunker as our Game Club game for October. We are gonna play it for the first time on Thursday. I'm not looking forward to it to be honest since horror isn't my thing but no doubt I'll be laughing my head off, listening to grown-ups screaming down their mic on Discord.

Last edited:
Funny you mention it, because me and my friends have selected Amnesia: The Bunker as our Game Club game for October. We are gonna play it for the first time on Thursday. I'm not looking forward to it to be honest since horror isn't my thing but no doubt I'll be laughing my head off, listening to grown-ups screaming down their mic on Discord.
Yeah I was acting tough and told my son I would play it in the dark with a headset. Never got past the intro with a loud NOPE!! I exited the room.... :D

For the past month I've been contemplating on attempting Dark Souls 3 for the first time. I just bought a new controller too....so I'm afraid I might break it accidentally out frustration. I did beat Sekiro though! Is DS3 easier than Sekiro?

poodaddy

If you consider that 19" of venom can be horrifying, than yes.

Otherwise, no.

Tom Hardy Sony GIF by Venom Movie

Plan to tackle Callisto Protocol, but probably not in October.
Ya know what just occurred to me? I would legitimately love a smaller game, kind of a side project thing, where you're hiding from/trying to escape Venom as a thug or criminal of some sort. Think about it, if you're part of a small crew who break into a ma and pa shop in San Fran, and suddenly he busts in and brutally breaks/consumes all your buds and is actively coming for you, and you have to hide and try to escape a bit like Alien Isolation as fighting him just isn't feasible. He's like 7 to 8 feet tall depending on artist, and he eats fuckin brains. This could be such a fun little side project game.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Fuck no. I already have to deal with horrors on daily basis here because of kanjobazooie kanjobazooie weird mouse ball fetish and German Hops German Hops nightmares of him stealing my lunch every day. You must be kidding.

But for real, I have yet to play Dead Space Remake or Resident Evil 4 Remske. I just don't have the time :/
I will find you and your lunch, Edder Legfend...

Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

FeralEcho

I'm playing horror games every week,it's my favourite genre. Currently replaying RE4 remake on PS5,will start Separate Ways and also replaying the original Dead Space trilogy on Series S.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Definitely.

I'm at the tail end of Organ Quarter for PSVR2, capturing that for YT.

Mostly VR titles for me this month, looking forward to Madison VR, 7th Guest. There's others too but keep forgetting names.

After the Fall in coop as well. (VR L4D type game).

I'll also try out Callisto Protocol since it's on PS+ now and my wife is gone until Wednesday so I have access to the 65" Bravia. I'll boot that up between now and then to see the visuals, don't plan on diving in though, maybe this winter.

Of course I'll be playing through RE 96 and will probably do a Code: Veronica X run.

Maybe SH: Homecoming as well. Game is unfairly dogpiled. Has fantastic atmosphere and the combat is fun IMO.

Edit- Bloodborne coop too with my childhood friends, finally getting into it and it's so damn good.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh yeah. Going to finally play medievil for old times sake. RE2 remake and Callisto protocol are on the list for a run through as well.
Just FYI, the PSP remake is on PS+ Classics if you have that tier.

They kind of mucked up the story a touch because they inserted a dumb side character but the gameplay is really solid. Has z-targeting style combat. Not sure if the PS4 remake has lock on. I played some of it but the PSP remake seems to be my favorite in terms of gameplay.

Gonna try and playthrough a Resident Evil with the wife. We have a lot to choose from. Been a while since we've done that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Fuck yeah I am. Same as every October.

Not sure what will be the actual horror game that I'll play this month but I'll definitely play some horror adjacent games, or at least ones that are kept in the Halloween spirit. Currently I'm chipping away at some Diablo 3 while watching/listening to some spooky content on YouTube, I'll probably revisit Resident Evil 4 because I'm still yet to play Separate Ways, and I also wanted to check out Lords of The Fallen and Alan Wake 2 when those are out. I also played some Cultic last week already, and it kicked ass.

Honestly I haven’t been enthralled by a horror game since PT...but since I still have it transferred to my old PS4 pro as well as my original ps4 and still installed, I might give it another go.

Jump scares are hard to pull off on me; at least if you know the formula: ‘stress, then relief, then jump-scare’; even the newer RE games you can predict it to a fault. They throw in the few red herrings to add to the stress portion but...I just read it…PT actually left me guessing.

Then again I guess PT was a surprise... nobody knew what it was when it came out at all, other than being a free game that ghost dropped. Being one of the day one peeps it had an effect:

31ytV1t.gif

Last edited:

El Muerto

Might give Greyhill Incident another try, it was rough on launch. Then will probably start the Resident Evil Remakes. I hate playing reboots/remakes but they seem worth it. Picked up some of the Yomawari games on Steam as there's a NIS sale going on. Then might kill some titles in my backlog such as Little Nightmares, Maid of Sker, and Martha is Dead.

Last edited:
Of course! I've already finished my first horror/thriller game of the month with Fort Solis just yesterday. Planning on finishing at least 3-4 more. My current picks are these:

71Gef+DTJLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
51b1815mbBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
815P0oNzPrS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oh and Alan Wake 2! I almost forgot about that one.

made-a-mock-up-of-what-an-alan-wake-2-physical-release-v0-ejkkphj7as2b1.jpg

Last edited:
How was Fort Solis?

Also I hate that AW2 mock up, it gives me hope for a disc version that is not going to come.

Pretty good for what it was; here's my impressions from the OT (took around 4h to complete and 7h in total to platinum):

Just finished it over 2 sittings; overall a pretty good walking sim which didn't overstay its welcome. Good production values including good mocap and voice acting with a tense atmosphere from start to finish (it kinda reminded me of the second half of Sunshine for anyone who watched the movie). The OST was also quite decent and helped set the mood of the game which kept me on the edge throughout the whole playthrough. The story was engaging with quite a few wtf moments, but nothing super groundbreaking for a hard sci-fi game with a Mars mining/research base as its main setting. Other than that I'd say the rather slow movement of the main character(s) was a bit of a detriment to the overall pace of the game considering you have to go to various parts of the base quite often which means lots of walking.

Played it on performance mode on my PS5 and it ran fairly well (mostly 60fps) with just a couple of places having issues where the FPS tanked pretty hard to around 30 fps or even lower. I believe it's an Unreal Engine 5 game which uses both nanite and lumen so I'll forgive the perf hiccups. As for the image quality it was pretty decent with FSR or TSR upscaling used to resolve the final image from a lower base resolution.

All in all, I'll give it a 7 out of 10. Enjoyable atmospheric sci-fi walking sim with an interesting mystery to unravel. Could have worked as a Netflix movie too. :p

Just gonna rock Texas Chainsaw most of the month. Maybe try something else but I spend more time watching horror movies this month than gaming!

violence

My Resident Evil 2 playthrough on dolphin with AI upscale backgrounds was great. I may try Resident Evil 3 next.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Honestly I haven’t been enthralled by a horror game since PT...but since I still have it transferred to my old PS4 pro as well as my original ps4 and still installed, I might give it another go.

Jump scares are hard to pull off on me; at least if you know the formula: ‘stress, then relief, then jump-scare’; even the newer RE games you can predict it to a fault. They throw in the few red herrings to add to the stress portion but...I just read it…PT actually left me guessing.

Then again I guess PT was a surprise... nobody knew what it was when it came out at all, other than being a free game that ghost dropped. Being one of the day one peeps it had an effect:

31ytV1t.gif

Try this:

B5BB61BC79813F519DDB39B1EFD2B9B39781C235

Not an easy game tho, especially the old lady chapter. The rest of the chapters are easy.

Cashon

Banned
Yes. I don't know the order or exact games that I'm going to play, but it'll be something like this:

Resident Evil 5, coop with a friend (Series X)

The Evil Within (Series X)

The Callisto Protocol (PS5)

Until Dawn (PS5)

Alan Wake Remastered (Series X)

Top Bottom