• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR 2 is already ahead visually of the Next-Gen games that will come out in the next 3-4 years.

vewn

Cyberpunk 2077 can't even compete with GTA III in terms of physics, AI... how can it beat RDR2 ?
Because this thread is about visuals...?

Bro Cyberpunk 2077 already beat RDR2

Looks like some of the RT effects are disabled in this video (obvious SSR artifacts)

The pop-in and LOD transitions are just really annoying in Cyberpunk while RDR2 has a much more consistent presentation.
Cyberpunk looks absolutely great in some areas and mediocre in others (super low res background assets, mediocre hair rendering, mediocre animations)

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Because this thread is about visuals...?

Looks like some of the RT effects are disabled in this video (obvious SSR artifacts)

The pop-in and LOD transitions are just really annoying in Cyberpunk while RDR2 has a much more consistent presentation.
Cyberpunk looks absolutely great in some areas and mediocre in others (super low res background assets, mediocre hair rendering, mediocre animations)

I noticed the buildings too, they kinda look like in Ridge Racer from ages ago.

Rikkori

I don't like the video you chose though, it's way oversharpened. Imo you can see the strengths of RDR2 best with St Denis at night. The biggest problems for RDR 2 are definitely textures & overall geometric detail. That's what brings it back to firmly being a PS4/X1 title rather than fooling me into thinking it's anything next-gen. That the game is very subdued in HDR as well, is also kind of a bummer. Lastly if reshade didn't work for removing the mandatory vignette they enforce I'd shit all over RDR 2, that's a trash choice that ruins the image and would overshadow whatever good work they did on the game graphically. Yes, I'm that anal about it.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Pretty astonishing what they achieved with such a vast game. I wish the controls were sharper, but maybe we'll see that in the next game.

What I don't get is why we haven't had a PS5 and Series X announcement. Why did Rockstar announce a third generation of GTA V and not RDR2?

VN1X

Banned
What a stupid thread.

Sometimes I wonder if the vocal minority on GAF are either trolls or pitiful edgelords (or maybe both)?

Games in 4 years will continue to look better and by the time we reach the lifecycle of these consoles back when Red Dead 2 came out, games will blow that out of the water too.

zkorejo

Rockstar is and always has been the kings of open world games IMO.

CDPR did a great job with witcher 3, which makes them the king of story heavy RPG. But R* always has been the best at open world games for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nope. The lighting and the character model already looks dated to me.
Absolutely. I know death stranding has less characters but the cutsceness are rendered real time just as rdr2 and yet the characters in death stranding look lifelike.
Imo best graphics of last gen at least when it comes to characters
SPOILER for die hardman face in Death stranding: My old ps4 slim screenshot. not even pc 4k
D7RISHd.png

Airbus Jr

Banned
Rockstar is and always has been the kings of open world games IMO.

CDPR did a great job with witcher 3, which makes them the king of story heavy RPG. But R* always has been the best at open world games for me.
Not anymore

After Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 CD ProjectRed got this

Dont get me wrong...Rockstar game have amazing details...

But the gameplay mechanics and world interaction are become really shallow there ( compared to Cyberpunk 77 )

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

All that matters is what it looks like at the end, your every day gamer doesn't look for rtx they but they know what looks good and what looks not good.
Ya...the avg gamer has no fucking clue whats good or bad. They give hades goty, the think last of us is the second coming of christ. Rtx is next gen shit if done right and should not be ignored, avg gamer or not. Rdr2 is empty, big ass world with nothing. It excels in its story telling. Cyberpunk excels at both.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Absolutely. I know death stranding has less characters but the cutsceness are rendered real time just as rdr2 and yet the characters in death stranding look lifelike.
Imo best graphics of last gen at least when it comes to characters
SPOILER for die hardman face in Death stranding: My old ps4 slim screenshot. not even pc 4k
D7RISHd.png
Definitely agreed on that! Death stranding terrains looks higher res and sharper too.

Not to mention the clothings and fabric in RDR2 looks like plastic.

Visually ahead for 3-4 years my ass. The Unreal 5 tech demo looks 100x times more impressive

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it was a good looking game when it came out but what a ridiculous thing to say. it's already 2 years old and isn't holding up well. i played it on PC.

Radical_3d

The most impressive game ever made.
Pre-downgrades (LOD, light sources, AO), version 1.00 still looks mindblowing on every console.
So, if I update my disc version it looks worse? Do I miss something vital with the updates? If it’s improved stability my PS5 should be ok with that.

Moriah20

Cyberpunk is technically more impressive (geometry, density, RT) but I still think RDR 2 has it beat in terms of the overall package. My main disappointed with CP77 has to be the LoD system - playing on a RTX 3080, near max settings the game just has pretty horrible pop in, curiously even more noticable in the country side areas than the city (but also pretty bad there). RDR 2's LoD system is truly incredible. Sure, horses aren't as fast as cars and scenery is "easier" to render than gigantic cities, but... all of that doesn't really matter when looking at the end result. Even on consoles, the draw& detail distance of RDR 2 is fucking incredible.

Also, I think RDR 2 hides its flaws much better than CP77 thanks to the fact that the game is mainly played in 3rd person. Weirdly, it almost feels like CP77 at one point was meant to be 3rd person with some of the rough assets that are in the game.

Wibr55C.jpg

This is from a cutscene from a side mission, and generally the scene looks awesome - but then that food... jesus christ.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The most impressive game ever made.
Pre-downgrades (LOD, light sources, AO), version 1.00 still looks mindblowing on every console.

All In-Game, PS4Pro:

kW7O9mH.png

hxFVE7A.png

xPOZqUO.png

QB4MMc3.png

vQm3BIq.png

OEOXQyY.png

zs93XBF.png

NO4UAR1.png

scirkhT.png

cE1T5Rd.png

tQ4P9uY.png

9HKtaxB.png

yJHj8wp.png

hiQ3gok.png

kREXrBc.png

AiAENHp.png

Qxf8l6c.png

GJ9XfEl.png

i never knew about any downgrades in the patch , any screens to compare the dif between the the unpatched and patched version graphics?

yurinka

No, in many areas there are other games that look better. TLOU2, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Cybepunk, Tsushima... all of them have things where they are better (lighting, characters models and animations, environment specific stuff like foliage and so on, raytracing reflections....) than RDR2. But it's true Rockstar games like RDR2 or GTA have a budget (at least in worker count and years developing only that game) way higher than the other ones, which results on more content, size and detail than most games.

And well, looking at the UE5 demo the next gen only stuff that we'll start to see at the end of 2021 or early 2022 on next gen specific engines will be miles ahead. I bet the first two games we'll see using this kind of technology will be God of War Raknarok and Horizon 2.

But it's on the tech and artistic side. In terms of gameplay it's too long, too slow and boring for me. I think I never have been able to complete a Rockstar game. I think they (and everyone else) should chop their games to make the main story ~15-25h long and add ~20-30h of secondary and extra content. This would help to shorten dev times, avoid the skyrocketing budget increase of every generation while prices not increasing even with inflation, and to reduce crunch.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
You have no clue. RdR 2 is magnificent no doubt but the engine is showing its age in terms of lighting and char models. Lighting, particularly accounting for reflections across a variety of surfaces put cyberpunk ahead of this. Rdr2 is a very pretty landscape painting though.

Vick

i never knew about any downgrades in the patch , any screens to compare the dif between the the unpatched and patched version graphics?
I’ll just quote myself:
LOD and light sources no (the last one even carried over the PC version), they claimed they fixed the AO but in current version it's still massively inferior (aka less aggressive) than version 1.00.

Here 47 pages with all the info you need.

The game just looks much worse updated, not nearly as impressive and cohesive to the point there might be something else at play.
So, if I update my disc version it looks worse? Do I miss something vital with the updates? If it’s improved stability my PS5 should be ok with that.
Biggest downsides of 1.00 were a frame-rate not as stable as it is now and a Pro which literally sounded like an hairdryer. Issues solved if you own a PS5, but you will still miss people wearing pajamas in camps.

Genx3

Game is gorgeous on an XB1X.

I can't wait to see what type of XSX and PS5 enhancements they have for this game.

Or is Rockstar going to try to resell a slight enhancement as a full game again?

drotahorror

I don't like the video you chose though, it's way oversharpened. Imo you can see the strengths of RDR2 best with St Denis at night. The biggest problems for RDR 2 are definitely textures & overall geometric detail. That's what brings it back to firmly being a PS4/X1 title rather than fooling me into thinking it's anything next-gen. That the game is very subdued in HDR as well, is also kind of a bummer. Lastly if reshade didn't work for removing the mandatory vignette they enforce I'd shit all over RDR 2, that's a trash choice that ruins the image and would overshadow whatever good work they did on the game graphically. Yes, I'm that anal about it.

I don't know why you posted a Ramirez video but I don't even care.

album of the year

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
I haven't played it on PC but on Playstation TLOU2 and Horizon Zero Dawn both look way better especially the clothing and character models.

zkorejo

Not anymore

After Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 CD ProjectRed got this

Dont get me wrong...Rockstar game have amazing details...

But the gameplay mechanics and world interaction are become really shallow there ( compared to Cyberpunk 77 )
When it comes to the world itself, Rockstar is a class apart. They add in so many small details into the world that it feels very lifelike. Like for example in gta v when you aim your gun at a npc in car they can react in many different ways. Unpredictable, kind of like real life. In Cyberpunk, they all act the same way. It's little details like that that makes Rockstars world so much more immersive. The driving, the planes the height of the sky, the horses in red dead, the npc animations, there are so many things they get right.

I personally think it's comparing apples to oranges since both companies focus on so different things, but since op mentioned cdpr, I have to say Rockstar's game world are more immersive and interactive than CDPR games. But Witcher and Cyberpunk excels at storytelling and rpg like freedom that Rockstar doesn't focus on. CDPR are masters of storytelling, dialogue options, branching storylines, consequences to actions, character depth and they create great world's.

But since the thread is about the visuals. I'd call it a tie. Both do beautiful world's but for me the winning point goes to the one with more immersion and attention to detail.

WTF am I reading? sorry but no RDR2's world is not static.
Its a static world. None of the environments can be destroyed or altered, the world doesn't change around you based on anything other than the game time moving forward and generating coded changes in the form of some new buildings and progress, etc. They add in scripted events here and there to feel random, give you the sense of a dynamic world but in reality, its a sterile world, its just a cut above others.

Compare the world of RDR2 to something like Far Cry 2 or Crysis, etc.

RDR2 is not only one of the best looking but also one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. All Rockstar has to do now is make main mission less restrictive. 9/10 game easily.

MarlboroRed

Can't wait to replay this on PC, maxed out and all that shiet.
Turn off all of the HUD as well. You can simply press down on the d-pad to get a glimpse of objectives, status effects and so on if you have to.

The game benefits a lot when you're eyes aren't glued to the minimap.
Especially in densely populated areas such as St. Denis it becomes incredibly immersive. It's a one of a kind experience really.

Top Bottom