• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR 2 is already ahead visually of the Next-Gen games that will come out in the next 3-4 years.

Umbral

Its hidden under FPS CONTROL AND MANUAL AIM
No, that’s perspective and controls. The gameplay is not good, as much as I enjoyed the game. It’s very bad and unnecessarily linear.

It’s Stuntman, but you’re driving a character instead of a car.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

This tree on Uncharted 3 has yet to be topped in terms of graphics. Naughty Dog are just next level.

bdEXVCp.jpg
This is a GAF’s classic. As for my avatar anybody can see I love Hennig but RDR2 is still better.

I have it on the One X and PS4 Pro and it looks great on both, I have to say though it looks so much better if you turn the HDR off. I know DF said they kind of faked HDR in this game or something but it really washes out the picture, it didn't look native 4K to me at all on the One X until I turned the HDR off. I hope we get some kind of PS5/XSX upgrade with true HDR at some point.

Vick

Uncharted 3 vs Red Dead 2 (ultra settings) for comparison.

eDUjn3o.jpg

zf1dbNm.jpg
Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

I'm sure there are lots of better trees in RDR2 since i don't remember any looking as bad.
But as i said, for a nine years old game U3 surely does often look insane.

I mean..

Naughty Dog were on fire on PS3.

Still, this gen we also got shit like this in huge dynamic free-roams:

fHtHQAb.jpg

LDS79Eu.jpg

RcKxA8j.jpg

uLEG0It.jpg

zPMgxWU.jpg

16UFzQD.jpg

But it's in the overall package, in the complexity of the world simulations and perfection of LOD management that Rockstar games have basically no equals.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Turn off all of the HUD as well. You can simply press down on the d-pad to get a glimpse of objectives, status effects and so on if you have to.

The game benefits a lot when you're eyes aren't glued to the minimap.
Especially in densely populated areas such as St. Denis it becomes incredibly immersive. It's a one of a kind experience really.
Good one, i'll remember that one. Is the game fully playable in first person? Or is it better to play in third person?

MarlboroRed

Good one, i'll remember that one. Is the game fully playable in first person? Or is it better to play in third person?
I prefer third person. First person works fine, Rockstar did an incredible job making sure first person works at just about all times (riding horses/vehicles, from behind cover, during ragdoll moments) but they did such a wonderful job on Arthurs macro and micro movements, you'd completely miss out on all those little details.

It's nice to get a different perspective sometimes though.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
RDR2 max/high setting on PC is essentially next gen quality, as current console gen RDR2 = RDR2 PC on mid setting.

It's very simple.
RDR2 is the best that can be achieve using "last gen" tech. All the fauts people points are just limitations of the technology. Rockstar couldn't to better no matter how much they wanted to fix. Cyberscam 2020 have the advantage of using "next gen" tech, that came pre-made from Nvidia. Almost no effort to use this new tech that fix all the problems the last gen tech had, but the poor programming, animation, modeling, everything else breaks the illusion of the new tech, it's a shame.

Cyberscam will look dated very fast.

Paulxo87

It truly is a cut ahead.

I just wish they would unlock the framerate so we could see 60fps on PS5.

The lack of NG+ and higher difficulty options is just ridiculous.. I know they are simply going to sell us another version at some point but still

MarlboroRed

One thing I'd also add to this discussion is that I wonder just how many people here have a wrong impression of just how good this game can look at a proper resolution. 1080p/1440p just don't cut it for this game, you have to go 4k (or scale the internal resolution that high).

The TAA solution employed by R* at native resolution on my 3440x1440 screen looks incredibly blurry, pretty much regardless of which settings I use. Once you knock it up to 4k however, it looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Also, don't believe some of the more popular YTers claiming there is little to no visual difference between High and Ultra Presets. The difference is actually huge in a lot of cases, such as Global Illumination, Reflections, Shadows/Ambient Occlusion and Volumetrics. It's hard to spot the difference on a comparison screen through a Youtube video, but it's very noticeable in motion while playing. Especially when all settings come together.

I can run Red Dead 2 with all of this (5160x2160 Internal Resolution, all Ultra) at roughly 40 to 50 FPS on my 3440x1440 screen. In terms of performance, thats about on par with Cyberpunk with no DLSS, no RTX, Ultra settings at native 3440x1440 at roughly the same FPS.

Freeman76

RDR2 is my GOAT, but you need to visit specsavers or buy an actual next gen console to see how incorrect you are.

However

If R* do a next gen optimise patch, it will be a thing to behold

Dacon

Banned
We can shit on R * all they want for their milking practices of GTA V Online but I'm eagerly waiting for the jaw-dropping slap Im gonna get when they'll release their next gen PS5/XBS title.:messenger_ok:

Yeah see you in ten years

RDR2 looks better than everything released for next gen so far.
But let's keep things real here.
Rockstar has over 2000 employees and they take their time with their games.
Imagine what can be done when you have that many resources? As the best developer on the planet they also attract the cream of the crop talent wise.

So is it really any wonder RDR2 looks and performs as well as it does?

Ammogeddon

I’m tempted to get it for my XSX in back compat but knowing R* they’ll do a next gen upgrade and I don’t want to pay twice.

Mista

Banned
Visually its insane no doubt about that. But for the next 3-4 it’ll remain the best? Nah, not for me at least. It’ll be among the top of course but we can’t just talk about 3-4 years like if they were months. Plenty of things will change and plenty of new tech will be implemented.

Top Bottom