• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy |OT| Rip your PS3 a new one

Guys, is "Bolt Collector" in the first game a cumulative trophy or you need to have those goddammit 1'000'000 Bolts all together? D:

Drago

these games have aged so well especially when compared to jak and daxter
I think those games aged fine, aside from the 'lets be super dark and gritty' setting of Jak 2. I had a blast playing through them on the HD Collection.

Toppot

On the first R&C game how do people get more than say 150,000 bolts a play through? I clear all levels, do all missions, go to all gold bolt areas and do the code bot room. The only thing I don't do is the bolt detector gadget because I find it doesn't give me more than say 1,000 a planet. I've played the game so many times on PS2 aswell and I've never got the 'few hundred thousand bolts a play through' that people claim to get.

Is there a bolt multiplier or some massive bolt room I'm missing? Or do people play the game inefficiently and track back through planets WAY more than they need to?

NBtoaster

On the first R&C game how do people get more than say 150,000 bolts a play through? I clear all levels, do all missions, go to all gold bolt areas and do the code bot room. The only thing I don't do is the bolt detector gadget because I find it doesn't give me more than say 1,000 a planet. I've played the game so many times on PS2 aswell and I've never got the 'few hundred thousand bolts a play through' that people claim to get.

Is there a bolt multiplier or some massive bolt room I'm missing? Or do people play the game inefficiently and track back through planets WAY more than they need to?

A complete quick playthrough gave me 211,000 bolts (twice). Didn't go to Planets anymore than I needed.

I'm on a NG+ and I think there's a hidden multiplier for bolts, the ones from enemies and chests specifically. I'm only on the 5th planet (after starting with 50 bolts leftover from my first playthrough) and I'm up to 50,000 already.

Toppot

A complete quick playthrough gave me 211,000 bolts (twice). Didn't go to Planets anymore than I needed.
I'm on a NG+ and I think there's a hidden multiplier for bolts, the ones from enemies and chests specifically. I'm only on the 5th planet (after starting with 50 bolts leftover from my first playthrough) and I'm up to 50,000 already.
Thinking about my NG+ I have got about 220,000 bolts. I just thought other people were getting like 400,000 a play through xD Glad I'm in the normal range.

That 1 million bolts is gonna be a bitch to do. I've got the blackwater glitch on atm. Which might get me to 500,000 overall before I go to bed. At this rate I'm gonna have to go through the game another 2-3 times just getting bolts =/

jimi_dini

Thank God.
But it's quite difficult anyway. With all the weapons (golden and not) and the RYNO I will reach something like 600'000 bolts...ouch.

Do the glitch.
I'm just doing it myself.

It gives out 4000 bolts every 5 minutes, which means around 50.000 every hour. Will go to sleep now, will probably have 500.000 bolts in the morning :)

Stupid trophy, but it's Insomniac, who thought it was a great idea to add a 10.000 kills trophy to Resistance 2. I mean do they really think grinding is fun? 500.000 would have been enough, because you need that much to buy almost everything. But no, get 1 million without any multiplier. Playing through the game 5 times is fun
not

Do the glitch.

It gives out 4000 bolts every 5 minutes, which means around 50.000 every hour. Will go to sleep now, will probably have 500.000 bolts in the morning :)

Stupid trophy, but it's Insomniac, who thought it was a great idea to add a 10.000 kills trophy to Resistance 2. I mean do they really think grinding is fun? 500.000 would have been enough, because you need that much to buy almost everything. But no, get 1 million without any multiplier. Playing through the game 5 times is fun
not

Wow, thanks!
I heard about this glitch but I thought it was removed in this version of the game.
Also I usually feel guilty for using this kind of tricks but I think this time it would be necessary if don't want to hate R&C.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Do the glitch.

not

Eh we promised never to do another 10000 kill/grind trophy again. We didn't develop or pick the trophies in the Collection. But it will be interesting to see how many folks grind it out

RkOwnage

I skipped these gems in the PS2 era, funny enough I owned the last 2 at one point and they sat on the backlog for so long I ended up trading them in.

Will not make the same mistake twice.

jimi_dini

Eh we promised never to do another 10000 kill/grind trophy again. We didn't develop or pick the trophies in the Collection.

That's good to hear. Resistance 2 is the only game that I don't have platinum for, just because of that one.
Then someone from Sony or Idol Minds came up with it (if from Sony, then probably the one that thought speedrunning in Ico was a great idea smh).

Did you (Insomniac) fix the original bolt glitch or did Idol Minds do it? I wonder, if it was fixed because of that trophy or without a reason.

btw. I started glitching around 8 hours ago. It's now at 410.000 bolts (I had around 20.000 originally). Will probably stop at around 600.000, because then 2 playthroughs should be enough. And if the controller loses power (mine did), the game will still continue WITH the O button still being hold down lol.

NBtoaster

Did you (Insomniac) fix the original bolt glitch or did Idol Minds do it? I wonder, if it was fixed because of that trophy or without a reason.

The glitch was already fixed on the PAL Platinum version of the original, this is probably based on that version.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
US release date info yet? Everytime this thread gets bumped and there's no release date info, i die a little bit inside.

EDIT-- Yes, i know i just did the same thing, but if im hurting, you should too!!! :)

Toppot

Just a quick question, platinumed RC1 and going to start RC2 tomorrow. Is the game set up to use the same save through all games or do you keep the saves separate? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it is the former if I have to load a 'RC1 save' to unlock the discount on weapons in RC2 (and eventually RC3)

Yaska

Just a quick question, platinumed RC1 and going to start RC2 tomorrow. Is the game set up to use the same save through all games or do you keep the saves separate? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it is the former if I have to load a 'RC1 save' to unlock the discount on weapons in RC2 (and eventually RC3)

Separate saves atleast on digital version.

jimi_dini

Got platinum for Ratchet&Clank 1 now.

Just to note: if you bought all the weapons already and didn't spend much money on ammo, then you are going to need around 430.000-440.000 bolts on hand to get the 1 million bolts trophy.

Just watching the commercials, OMG, would it have been that hard to play them back in a tiny window instead of blowing them up to fullscreen (they are maybe half of SD-resolution, so they are really f-ugly that way). At least the making-of looks much better. Glad that they included it and not removed it like they removed the developer commentary in Sly Cooper.

Moze

Banned
I think those games aged fine, aside from the 'lets be super dark and gritty' setting of Jak 2. I had a blast playing through them on the HD Collection.

jak 2 had the worst checkpoint system in the history of video games

it also had some of the worst car handling

V_Ben

Banned
Ok, Ratchets 1 and 2 done, moving on to 3 now. I had forgotten just how incredible the second one was. Such an awesome selection of weapons, and just so much to see. Tons of awesome content. 3's controls are so much better though, especially the lock strafe ones.

Carl

I was on holiday last week. Came home today to find this sat waiting for me. And been playing it since. I forgot how great Ratchet and Clank 1 was (not played it this generation before now - so at least 5 years since last playthrough). Loving it.

Weird how i still remember where to go, what objects are where, gold bolt locations, skill points etc

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My Package shipped on 6/28, today is 7/7 =/

Can't e-mail customer support until 7/28 through their TOS/FAQ... FUCK!

next time I'll just do digital for the title if I want to import

Carl

My Package shipped on 6/28, today is 7/7 =/

Can't e-mail customer support until 7/28 through their TOS/FAQ... FUCK!

next time I'll just do digital for the title if I want to import

I'm sure you won't be waiting much longer. But yeah you should have just got it off the UK PSN store.

jimi_dini

So, Platinum for Ratchet & Clank 2 in the bag as well.
Sadly some slowdown happened quite often and I don't remember R&C2 to have slowdown on PS2.
At least I was quite glitch-free. On ps3trophies several people complain about all sorts of glitches. From graphical glitches to even the weapon selection menu not showing up. Also my 2 million bolt trophy came when I had 700.000 bolts on hand, which means it was cumulative for me. For several others it wasn't. And even worse - some got it, when they had 3 million on hand. I really don't understand this. Isn't there just one European version out there?

Anyway - anyone know, how to unlock the last shortcut?

I got everything but one thing right above Insomniac Museum. Didn't complete my Challenge mode run. What is missing there?

btw. I really love the museum. Many more developers should do stuff like that. I would have loved it even more, if it went even more indepth - like explaining how the engine worked, streamed data, etc.

Carl

Platinum'd Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2, on Ratchet and Clank 3 now. Still love these games. Every bit as brilliant as they used to be.

Toppot

Finally Platinum'd them all. I have to say it was very nice going down memory lane, surprised how much I remembered of the levels, though it's not surprising considering I played them multiple times in the PS2 days xD

There isn't too much difficulty there if you have played it before, just the occasional skillpoint, everything was so much easier than it was 8-10 years ago. Though re-adjusting to control differences between games can take an hour or 2 if you do them day after day. R&C 1 getting the million bolts is the only thing that took time, I just did the hoverboard glitch. And if you can don't buy any weapons till you get the persuader so you save money.

For R&C 2 I only had trouble upgrading the shield from standard in Challenge mode, so I advise upgrading it on your first play-through (Just go to a planet with small creatures like on Planet Barlow and run into them a lot)

For R&C 3 the most difficult thing was getting the time skillpoint for the last vid comic. I also found this game to be a bit glitchy, couple of times I was pushed through a wall and some crashes requiring restart with a few visual glitches and occasional slowdown.

Overall it is an almost flawless remaster of the originals and a joy to play. Hope it comes out in America soon for you guys!

jimi_dini

Platinum for R&C 3 done

But I encountered several bugs and issues in R&C3.

I don't know, if it happens only for hacker puzzles, but sometimes sounds will keep playing (looping) during and after those puzzles, where they should get stopped/cut off.

Then I really don't know, why that special cheat wasn't unlocked from the start. I mean the Sly 2 demo can't be included for the HD collection, so no one would figure out the code anyway.

I also had several cutscenes were the eyes of Ratchet and other people were broken somewhat. No pupils.

And I also encountered that if you go to PS3 menu during some cutscenes, the cutscenes will start again (not resume), when you leave the PS3 menu. Worse yet, it seems some objects won't get reset during that, so sometimes funny things happen. For example Doctor Nefarious was sitting on a chair and he turned the chair during the start of a cutscene. Now the cutscene restarted, but the chair didn't turn this time or was already turned idk. In any case, Nefarious clipped through the chair.

The Quarktastic challenge was a piece of cake for me, because the shield bugged out. I mean it isn't supposed to withstand anything for ages? Because it did that for me. And it wasn't even leveled up. It was around level 1 or 2. I went through the whole challenge, was hit a lot and the shield didn't go away. Today, when I replayed the challenge in challenge mode, the bug didn't occur again (although the challenge wasn't a problem anyway).

Also those sky diving scenes right at the start of some missions/planets bugged out for me as well. The first few worked fine (you are supposed to get hit by rockets, if you are not careful), but most of the time, I was around 50m away from all the rockets and was diving down without any rockets in my way. This isn't supposed to be that way, right? It seems the rockets spawn at the wrong place. And this happend both - in normal and challenge mode. I can't believe that no one noticed that glitch.

And the slow down gets really nervewrecking after some time. It's definitely much worse in R&C3.

It was fun, but the glitches and slowdown were kinda ruining the experience. It's really sad that the port isn't rocksolid as MGS2/MGS3 for example.

Drago

North America Release August 28th

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...ection-hits-august-28th-with-sly-cooper-demo/

All that wait for a Sly 4 demo and a PSN avatar, doesn't sound right to me.

Hopefully they will still announce a Deadlock download for preorders as jstevenson keep saying about preordering (SCE leaked that Deadlocked was going to be downloadable) and the demo seems to be included anyway.

Great price and some good bonuses... that Sly 4 demo will be great but only for a few months. Not very lasting... :/

Can't wait to finally play these. Hope Deadlocked is there too as a bonus, as I'd like a more complete collection.

Platinum for R&C 3 done

But I encountered several bugs and issues in R&C3.

I don't know, if it happens only for hacker puzzles, but sometimes sounds will keep playing (looping) during and after those puzzles, where they should get stopped/cut off.

Then I really don't know, why that special cheat wasn't unlocked from the start. I mean the Sly 2 demo can't be included for the HD collection, so no one would figure out the code anyway.

I also had several cutscenes were the eyes of Ratchet and other people were broken somewhat. No pupils.

And I also encountered that if you go to PS3 menu during some cutscenes, the cutscenes will start again (not resume), when you leave the PS3 menu. Worse yet, it seems some objects won't get reset during that, so sometimes funny things happen. For example Doctor Nefarious was sitting on a chair and he turned the chair during the start of a cutscene. Now the cutscene restarted, but the chair didn't turn this time or was already turned idk. In any case, Nefarious clipped through the chair.

The Quarktastic challenge was a piece of cake for me, because the shield bugged out. I mean it isn't supposed to withstand anything for ages? Because it did that for me. And it wasn't even leveled up. It was around level 1 or 2. I went through the whole challenge, was hit a lot and the shield didn't go away. Today, when I replayed the challenge in challenge mode, the bug didn't occur again (although the challenge wasn't a problem anyway).

Also those sky diving scenes right at the start of some missions/planets bugged out for me as well. The first few worked fine (you are supposed to get hit by rockets, if you are not careful), but most of the time, I was around 50m away from all the rockets and was diving down without any rockets in my way. This isn't supposed to be that way, right? It seems the rockets spawn at the wrong place. And this happend both - in normal and challenge mode. I can't believe that no one noticed that glitch.

And the slow down gets really nervewrecking after some time. It's definitely much worse in R&C3.

It was fun, but the glitches and slowdown were kinda ruining the experience. It's really sad that the port isn't rocksolid as MGS2/MGS3 for example.

After reading your impressions I wonder if the lower $30 MSRP is an acknowledgment that the quality is a little lacking.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I still haven't gotten the goddamn game from thehut

How long does it take

I got notice it shipped 6/28, now today is the 16th... so fucking stupid

I mean R&C Collection NA comes out on the 28th of August

I really hope NA and EU are different trophy sets

I need james to answer this question =/

I still haven't gotten the goddamn game from thehut

How long does it take

I got notice it shipped 6/28, now today is the 16th... so fucking stupid

I mean R&C Collection NA comes out on the 28th of August

I really hope NA and EU are different trophy sets

I need james to answer this question =/

Can take about a month so after that I would contact them...

Can take about a month so after that I would contact them...

They usually only takes a couple of weeks to get from the UK to NZ, so is it just shipping within the US that's horrible or something? Cause I've noticed when importing from the US that shipping tends to either be ridiculously expensive or ridiculously slow.

Shtof

Just a quick question.

If I buy the collection on PSN, do the the download(and the install) come as one file or three files? Struggling with hard drive space but desperately want some Ratchet action.

Just a quick question.

If I buy the collection on PSN, do the the download(and the install) come as one file or three files? Struggling with hard drive space but desperately want some Ratchet action.

It's separate files for each game. So you could download one, complete it, delete it then download the other.

For me R&C1 was just under 3GB, 2 was about 3.5GB and 3 was just under 4GB.

Shtof

It's separate files for each game. So you could download one, complete it, delete it then download the other.

For me R&C1 was just under 3GB, 2 was about 3.5GB and 3 was just under 4GB.

Just what I wanted to read. Thanks a lot.

Planning to pick up a new when the Super Slim hits, but for now I'll just struggle with my 80 gig, which is way too loud(hence why I'm commencing an upgrade).

krae_man

After reading your impressions I wonder if the lower $30 MSRP is an acknowledgment that the quality is a little lacking.

I doubt it. My guess is the $10 drop is because Deadlocked was supposed to be included but missed the certification deadline so they dropped the price of the collection by $10 and will sell Deadlocked on PSN for $10 instead.

Top Bottom