• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will run at dynamic 4K resolution, targets 60 FPS for performance mode

assurdum

Banned
people get conditioned really hard right now to get a 60fps mode. it will get harder and harder for publishers to abandon this trend as time goes on.

even one of the outliers, Watch Dogs, will get a performance mode now that many people wanted it.
It will get harder and harder to have a 60 FPS mode if they want to push more the graphic fidelity but will see.

Banned
It will get harder and harder to have a 60 FPS mode if they want to push more the graphic fidelity but will see.

you can always pretty easily reduce graphical features.
reduce the resolution, reduce some effects and slightly tone down draw distance and you're usually good.

the only way a game can not get a 60fps mode is if it is completely CPU bound, which is a really hard thing to do with the CPUs in the new consoles.

assurdum

Banned
you can always pretty easily reduce graphical features.
reduce the resolution, reduce some effects and slightly tone down draw distance and you're usually good.

the only way a game can not get a 60fps mode is if it is completely CPU bound, which is a really hard thing to do with the CPUs in the new consoles.
It's not that simple. Obviously this generation if a genre benefit more from 60 FPS, 60 FPS will be there more easily. But we shouldn't look too much to the present to think it's done for 60 FPS mode in every title; if you take the PS3 remaster on PS4, all offered a 60 FPS mode. So CPU wasn't a problem neither on PS4 for the older titles. When the CPU will be pushed more too in the next future, I don't know if scale down the graphic details will be enough for a 60 FPS mode imo.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

The problem with all this resolution talk is that "dynamic 4k" has no real meaning, beyond just "NOT native 4k".

It could mean 4k with the occasional drop to maintain frame rate. Or it could mean a heavily reconstructed 4k like the Performance RT mode, or 1440p which in theory can scale to 4k but basically never does.

We know that Sony won't say 4k unless it's absolutely locked cos of prior legal action, so it's perfectly plausible that in this case it could mean just minor drops. I mean, DF did pixel count the first trailer at native 4k.

And we've seen from other releases just how demanding getting to 60 is: a more than 50% cut in resolution AND other compromises.

So you would have to think that for the game to have enough headroom for a 60fps mode it would have to have a very high native resolution at 30fps.

But can we REALLY expect the PS5 to be doing graphics like this at native 4k30?? I'm very doubtful.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These cpus are good enough to offer a 60 fps mode now. Devs just need to be mindful of it when developing their games.

60 fps needs to stick around or I'll just move back to pc once the 30fps games come around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I am guessing the same modes found in Spider-Man will be in this game as well, considering it's the same in-house engine.
I'm expecting this but im hoping it's at launch and not a few weeks later like Miles Morales.

Banned
It's not that simple. Obviously this generation if a genre benefit more from 60 FPS, 60 FPS will be there more easily. But we shouldn't look too much to the present to think it's done for 60 FPS mode in every title; if you take the PS3 remaster on PS4, all offered a 60 FPS mode. So CPU wasn't a problem neither on PS4 for the older titles. When the CPU will be pushed more too in the next future, I don't know if scale down the graphic details will be enough for a 60 FPS mode imo.

comparing remasters of games to cross gen titles it completely unfair.

look at cross gen titles on PS3/360 and PS4/One, and now look at cross gen titles from PS4/One to PS5/SX
almost no cross gen game, and not even remotely all remasters, run at 60 fps on PS4/One if they ran at 30fps on PS3/360

GTA5 still runs at 30fps, Assassin's Creed 4 still runs at 30fps, Far Cry 3 still runs at 30fps, Far Cry 4 still runs at 30fps, Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection still runs at 30fps, Sleeping Dogs... you guessed it... still runs at 30fps.
so even a shitload of remasters did not actually get am FPS boost to 60fps, and the vast majority of cross gen titles didn't either

now this gen a 30fps game is the weird outlier not the norm. Watch_Dogs Legion only is 30fps and people quickly pushed the devs to patch in a 60fps mode which they now will do. Same with the Series S version of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, they even gave that a 60fps patch

and on the note of the Series S, that system singlehandedly might be the reason we will always see 60fps modes on PS5 and Series X. because even when the Series S might miss out on a 60fps mode, you can be assured that running the same game on PS5 and Series X at the Series S settings will always result in those games running at 60fps for sure.

Last edited:

plip.plop

I own a 1080p TV
just kidding
EM45RQh.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom