• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will run at dynamic 4K resolution, targets 60 FPS for performance mode

Is this beautiful ? If it was 8K would it be beaautiful. NO

You can put lipstick ona pig and its still a pig.

X66ultQ.png

I am sure XSx will have much beter looking game for sure, maybe Valhalla will look great, but just going on resolution is a silly metric. Forza will look great and not too sure whats next up.

Pixel quality not quantity.

This obsession for numbers is hurting the industry and making a huge distortion of a game graphics achievements.

A fucking almost photorealistic Textures, lighting and Geometry as seen is UE5 demo will still be far more impressive to the eye than Minecraft, Dirt or whatever at 16k resolution and 240fps.

People are always trying to make like its all about res and fps.

The funny thing is that Xbox fanboys are acting like Halo Infinite is native 4k and not dynamic 4k. But the thing is even If It was native, It would still look like crap!! Point and simple.

Crushed, its hilarious, dont throw stones when you live in a glass house. Most triple AAA engines use dymanic resoluton now, better than droppng a frame to 59 FPS.

Xbox users posting on Ratchet quality when its in a different league to what MS showed at last conference just makes us laugh so hard it hurts my sides.

Also pixel quality >>>>>>>>> pixel number, as seen below whicih has neither.

AKKRklE.jpg

Its funny that all the powerfull PC is in constant need of techniques like DLSS to make It possible to run the game at a high and stable fps with RT on with CURRENT gen games like Control, but a 400 console MUST run all games at native 4k, and 60fps with RT on for games that push graphics to a higher standard, otherwise is a big fail?

Devs must know better than us that native resolution these days compared to non native res with the New techniques doesnt make any difference to peoples eyes in real world.

thelastword

Banned
This obsession for numbers is hurting the industry and making a huge distortion of a game graphics achievements.

A fucking almost photorealistic Textures, lighting and Geometry as seen is UE5 demo will still be far more impressive to the eye than Minecraft, Dirt or whatever at 16k resolution and 240fps.

The funny thing is that Xbox fanboys are acting like Halo Infinite is native 4k and not dynamic 4k. But the thing is even If It was native, It would still look like crap!! Point and simple.
Yes, absolutely. The Unreal Demo at 4K would be sharper and a bit better looking, but that's it, when you take the same game with the same assets, better resolution and better fps boosts it's IQ and response time.....Yet that is so different than comparing a game that has no rtx, low rez textures, low detailed 2d bitmap trees, low poly characters, low rez effects and saying it's 4K native......Against what exactly? A game with rtx, high poly characters a million characters, bolts, effects and chaos on the screen?......How are we comparing a low tier looking game to a high tier looking game and expect that the rendering budget is the same........

Soon people will say, but but but PONG is rendered at 32K.....How does this work exactly? The crazy thing is this, some of these low poly no rtx games are dynamic resolution just the same.... Kinda strange that the people pushing the angle that DRS 4k 60fps is an issue are seemingly oblivious to a much worse looking game being dynamic 4k 60fps just the same......Now, imagine if R&C was only 30fps, they would make noise on that too, so we know that these are simple disingenuous arguments all around......

It's similar to the recent GT7 thread, it's 4k native 60fps, RTX and everything included, some goons said they were not impressed with the visuals, when it has the best visuals in a racer so far, rtx lighting and reflections, best car models et al. I read someone saying they'd rather push visuals at the cost of frames and rez......Yet these same people bashed GT5 and GT6 when they fell below 60fps, they bashed Driveclub for it's 30fps, but more importantly, no racer so far looks as good as GT7. It's similar to last gen when Forza 7 pushed 4k because it's asset and rendering quality was several notches below GTS. When comparing games, it's important to note what it's rendering and the richness of it's rendering pipeline.....The same game with the same asset quality will look better at higher rez and with higher frames guaranteed, yet that's not what's being debated here.... Soon people will be telling me Life of Black Tiger is 8k 60fps and everything else is unimpressive...

Reindeer

This is idiotic. Variable 4K has massive benefits in performance over native 4K yet in this case and probably in all cases is indistinguishable from native. It is not any indication of the performance difference between PS5 and XsX just as Halo:Infinite's last gen graphics are indicative of XsX performance. In any case, Ratchet looks a generation ahead of the biggest MS exclusive, and that's being kind...
It's a joke, chill out, smh.

Barnabot

Once again, this thread is showing its stupidity by expecting native 4k/60fps with next gen visuals +raytracing like Ratchet and Clank. Like someone else said, if you want all of those things, go buy yourself an RTX 3090 and i9-10900k and go play on PC. It is not happening on a $500 console
but some fanboys were really preaching it. sometimes in 4k and 120fps too.

Reindeer

Interesting that you feel the need to comment in a thread for a game exclusive to a platform you don't have any interest in having.
Slow day at work?
I'm interested in the game very much, just not in the platform at this moment. Didn't know there was a law prohibiting me from commenting on a game that's not on my preferred platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerotan

Exactly. That's why I only want simple games like Rocket League, COD, Siege etc to support 120fps. 1080p @120fps is good but I'd much rather the game be dynamic res, 60fps and look absolutely beautiful.

Redlancet

Banned
I'm interested in the game very much, just not in the platform at this moment. Didn't know there was a law prohibiting me from commenting on a game that's not on my preferred platform.
Nah, comment here pls, a good laugh its always wellcome

pyrocro

Dont forget to come back after AMD reveals RDNA2 memory and cache bandwiths / speeds and clocks and say sorry, its not long now.
More strawman arguments, no one is talking to you about this give it up.
Please show me where I said as much, LOL this is really pathetic.

I note you have not linked one paper, no information, no understanding, just a babbling fanboy on GAF.
Check my post again, the only this I'm putting forward is most dynamic resolution cross platform games will run at a higher resolution on series X.
bandwidth is a greater factor then caches for generating 3d game scenes.
but keep fighting that strawman in your head you may win one of these days.
reality is

Ar¢tos

Nearly every single of your posts in this thread is either shitposting or downplaying, when you have no interest in it, it's called trolling.

Reindeer

Nearly every single of your posts in this thread is either shitposting or downplaying, when you have no interest in it, it's called trolling.
It's called a friendly banter, which is what is present in a lot of comments on this forum. You take this console thing too seriously.

Journey

Banned
I swear, it's like 2013 all over again. Anyone remember when it was revealed that Ryse: Son of Rome, one of the most beautiful games of this generation, even today, was heavily criticized because the native resolution was 900p and not 1080p?

Anyone remember how someone at Xbox was attacked when his response was "It's not about the amount of pixels, but the quality of the pixels being shown"? (I'm not talking about Aaron Greenberg's 1080p output comment).

This comment made sense, Ryse: Son of Rome looked far better at 900p than many 1080p games. The rhetoric was different back then, it was native res or DIE!

Fast forward to 2020 and the hypocrisy levels are reaching critical mass! now it's: Who cares about the resolution if the game looks good. I mean did Ryse Son of Rome get the same treatment? Nope.

Last edited:

JCK75

I think it should have been clear from the beginning that Series X is going to have superior visuals to PS5.. but games are still going to look awesome on it so who cares?

truth411

Some of the rhetoric im reading.

Same Zen 2 CPU that is beaten in gaming by ancient Intel architecture based on 14nm, lol. Zen 3 is actually the real deal and consoles should have been launched with it a year later along with more powerful GPUs. The amount of nonsense people were spouting here for months about how these consoles were something they're not was very funny. People overhype consoles every time only to have their fantasy hopes crushed faster than PS5 SSD can load data.

This Nonsense has to stop. Maybe If your going to game at 240fps at 1080p or less. Consoles AREN'T doing that and HDMI 2.1 caps out at 120hz, no Console Games are going to be CPU bound at all. 99% of console games will be 30fps or 60fps with few/some 120fps optional mode. At 120fps its the GPU that will be the bottleneck not the CPU. It doesn't matter if they had intel 10900k!!!
At 30fps the CPU isn't the bottleneck.
At 60fps the CPU isn't the bottleneck.
Even the rare 120fps (HDMI 2.1 max output)the CPU isn't the bottleneck.

The GPUs, Memory Bandwidth etc will be the bottleneck. Especially since the games are rendering at 4k with Ray Tracing.
Stop the FUD.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

I swear, it's like 2013 all over again. Anyone remember when it was revealed that Ryse: Son of Rome, one of the most beautiful games of this generation, even today, was heavily criticized because the native resolution was 900p and not 1080p?

Anyone remember how someone at Xbox was attacked when his response was "It's not about the amount of pixels, but the quality of the pixels being shown"? (I'm not talking about Aaron Greenberg's 1080p output comment).

This comment made sense, Ryse: Son of Rome looked far better at 900p than many 1080p games. The rhetoric was different back then, it was native res or DIE!

Fast forward to 2020 and the hypocrisy levels are reaching critical mass! now it's: Who cares about the resolution if the game looks good. I mean did Ryse Son of Rome get the same treatment? Nope.

Yep, It's always come down to final image quality of a frame.

I always go back to one simple question. Which looks more photorealistic, watching Avengers on a 480p DVD or literally any game at 4k?

geordiemp

More strawman arguments, no one is talking to you about this give it up.
Please show me where I said as much, LOL this is really pathetic.

Check my post again, the only this I'm putting forward is most dynamic resolution cross platform games will run at a higher resolution on series X.
bandwidth is a greater factor then caches for generating 3d game scenes.
but keep fighting that strawman in your head you may win one of these days.
reality is

No XSX wont have much difference in performance

And no caches are more important and cache bandwidth for RDNA2, you will see in PC parts soon, just as posters questioned 2.2 Ghz.

It all comes around....

Last edited:

Reindeer

At 60fps the CPU isn't the bottleneck..

Stop the FUD.
Both 30 and 60fps games can be bottlenecked by CPU as we've plenty of times this gen, especially at lower resolutions like 1440p and 1080p. You're also ignorant of the fact that certain games are CPU bound by their nature, open world games are perfect example of this. Everyone knows that at 4K you're bottlenecked by GPU, but to make generally assumptions that you're not bottlenecked by CPU in 30 and 60fps games is a load of nonsense.

Journey

Banned
No XSX wont have much difference in performance

And no caches are more important and cache bandwidth for RDNA2, you will see in PC parts soon, just as posters questioned 2.2 Ghz.

It all comes around....

And PS4 doesn't have that much of a difference over Xbox One, or Xbox One X over PS4 Pro, it's all about perception. What's considered a small difference to you may be a big deal to other gamers. We'll wait for comparisons and analysis, thank you.

pawel86ck

Banned
Some of the rhetoric im reading.

This Nonsense has to stop. Maybe If your going to game at 240fps at 1080p or less. Consoles AREN'T doing that and HDMI 2.1 caps out at 120hz, no Console Games are going to be CPU bound at all. 99% of console games will be 30fps or 60fps with few/some 120fps optional mode. At 120fps its the GPU that will be the bottleneck not the CPU. It doesn't matter if they had intel 10900k!!!
At 60fps the CPU isn't the bottleneck.
Even the rare 120fps (HDMI 2.1 max output)the CPU isn't the bottleneck.

The GPUs, Memory Bandwidth etc will be the bottleneck. Especially since the games are rendering at 4k with Ray Tracing.
Stop the FUD.
Wait until developers will start making games mainly for next gen console CPU's. I bet there will be 30fps games CPU limited, because it's not like developers have unlimited CPU power. All they need to do is use more detailed physics and you can say goodbye to 60fps.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Wait until developers will start making games mainly for next console CPU's. I bet there will be 30fps games CPU limited, because it's not like developers have unlimited CPU power. All they need to do is use more detailed physics and you can say goodbye to 60fps.
His claim that 30 and 60fps games cannot be CPU bottlenecked is laughable at best.

Andodalf

Banned
Wait until developers will start making games mainly for next gen console CPU's. I bet there will be 30fps games CPU limited, because it's not like developers have unlimited CPU power. All they need to do is use more detailed physics and you can say goodbye to 60fps.

A 16 thread CPU isn't going to be a bottle neck at 30, probably ever. Also probably not at 60 for any game that has multi threading at all. Maybe at 120.

geordiemp

A 16 thread CPU isn't going to be a bottle neck at 30, probably ever. Also probably not at 60 for any game that has multi threading at all. Maybe at 120.

Cant wait for XSX to show a modern game, so that the FUD and stupid powa expectations can be finally put to bed.

Although ithe narrative will be it was not optimised, next game, then it will be next year powa is coming...

truth411

The one spreading FUD is you, smh. Both 30 and 60fps games can be bottlenecked by CPU as we've plenty of times this gen, especially at lower resolutions like 1440p and 1080p. You're also ignorant of the fact that certain games are CPU bound by their nature, open world games are perfect example of this. Everyone knows that at 4K you're bottlenecked by GPU, but to make generally assumptions that you're not bottlenecked by CPU in 30 and 60fps games is a load of nonsense.
Let me clarify, I'm not saying its impossible to be CPU bound on console games. Im was responding to the assertion that Zen 2 CPUs were a mistake and a current gen Intel CPU would have been better. Im pointing out, no it wouldn't at 30 and 60 frames per second even the rare 120fps. The GPU will be the bottleneck since console games are targeting 4k with Ray Tracing.
Intel's current performance gaming "Advantage" is pushing fps beyond 120fps which Consoles aren't doing.

Journey

Banned
Cant wait for XSX to show a modern game, so that the FUD and stupid powa expectations can be finally put to bed.

Although ithe narrative will be it was not optimised, next game, then it will be next year powa is coming...

That could work both ways, I actually see Xbox Series X games outperforming PS5 games and fans using the unoptimized argument to explain why the PS5 isn't doing better, or "The developer is not taking advantage of the SSD because it's a multiplat" I swear I can read it now lol

Reindeer

Let me clarify, I'm not saying its impossible to be CPU bound on console games. Im was responding to the assertion that Zen 2 CPUs were a mistake and a current gen Intel CPU would have been better. Im pointing out, no it wouldn't at 30 and 60 frames per second even the rare 120fps. The GPU will be the bottleneck since console games are targeting 4k with Ray Tracing.
Intel's current performance gaming "Advantage" is pushing fps beyond 120fps which Consoles aren't doing.
I never said Zen 2 was a mistake, I said it's not as good as people think it is since it's losing to outdated Intel architecture in gaming. I did say that Zen 2 is a big jump over Jaguar, just that some people are expecting too much from it. Zen 3 by all accounts is the real deal as we can see from leaked benchmarks. I stand my stance that these consoles released one year too yearly to really have impactful technological jump.

Yes, GPU will be bottleneck in 4K in most cases, but I think these consoles will offer modes at 1440p/1080p, resolutions at which CPU plays a much bigger role.

thelastword

Banned

Ryse Son of Rome? You must have not been around when The Order 1886 launched then.......A game which was 1080p at 2.40:1 unlike Ryse which was smudgier due to the lower resolution on a 1080p screen....

You guys are always conflating things. Shadowfall was a beast of a tech showcase at 1080p, so was Infamous.....People saw these things and naturally spoke it up......The PS4 was definitely the more powerful console as well......But here, so much hype on another console being more powerful and we have not seen anything close to Ratchet and Clank on it, nothing with Raytracing running on the console, nothing at all.....The arguments against Ryse and the arguments here are two different things entirely.....They are specific to the realities at the time, both then and now...

mitchman

Gold Member
I never said Zen 2 was a mistake, I said it's not as good as people think it is since it's losing to outdated Intel architecture in gaming. I did say that Zen 2 is a big jump over Jaguar, just that some people are expecting too much from it. Zen 3 by all accounts is the real deal as we can see from leaked benchmarks. I stand my stance that these consoles released one year too yearly to really have impactful technological jump.

Yes, GPU will be bottleneck in 4K in most cases, but I think these consoles will offer modes at 1440p/1080p, resolutions at which CPU plays a much bigger role.
You underestimate how multi-threaded console games are, which is exactly where Zen2 shines compared to Intel. You get more cores in the same package and for a decent price.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
If what they doing with the Spider-Man remaster is any indication, performance mode will use an advanced TAA technique that will be indistinguishable from 4K.

VFXVeteran

Banned
If what they doing with the Spider-Man remaster is any indication, performance mode will use an advanced TAA technique that will be indistinguishable from 4K.

Any post-process AA technique outside of ML can be distinguishable. It's going to use a filter kernel no matter what and that's always doing some sort of averaging which lowers frequency amplitude and thereby removes data from the original signal.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Full resolution achieved via any reconstruction technique will always be distinguishable from native rendering, and that includes ML based techniques.
Some DLSS 2.0 implementations are at a point where the difference between native and reconstruced isn`t a general "better or worse" anymore but instead you have something like different aspects being better or worse in the native or the reconstruced image depending on the scenery and the game....

I bet that even DF would not be able to tell which is which if you shuffled DLSS quality and native resolutions of a new game and presented it to them without very thorough analysis.
We´re easily at a point where reconstructed images can be absolutely indistinguishable in motion (not on AMD powered consoles though).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Dynamic 4k combined with Insomniac's temporal upscaling/anti-aliasing will likely result in great image quality while maintaining 60 fps. Full fat 4k is great, but in my mind should be the first thing sacrificed in the pursuit of better performance or graphical effects.
Na shitty ray traced reflections should be first to go. This thread is a riot if the the mode hits 60fps that is what matters game looks incredible. This is no ammo for console wars ffs it is really the first new next generation game. Congratulations insomniac looks amazing.

Top Bottom