• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – Gameplay Trailer

Ixion

Graphics look insane. The worlds look dense and lively. The dimension hopping looks trippy. The music is being handled by the guy from Devo. I just hope Replacement Ratchet is a better character than Replacement Spiderman. At least we know her voice acting won't be annoying.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, that performance savings better go directly to dong physics or I fucking riot.
Of course. What do you think Ratchet's wrench actually is?

How I Met Your Mother Omg GIF by HULU

Not feeling the female lombax. It feels forced.
Game still looks great tho
I agree, this seems to be coming from the fact where we live in an age, that some people would be vocal for not having also a female protagonist. Its the sad reality.

I mean, I can absolutely understand it for movies, but what is the point for games. The vast majority will always be men and they can try everything they want but the truth will always be that a absolute minor number of women will play video games (I mean more action oriented games, I know that many women love Animal crossing).

I said multiple times that women in general have other interests than men and that is a very good thing. I am happily married and I think it would turn me off if my wife would have the same taste like me.
The push for more women liking video games comes from the industry because they want more audience and therefore more profit, but perhaps they will never understand that men and women are different and that this is a good thing.
I mean what do they expect, will in 10 years also more men love shopping? I don't think so.

Now you're pretty wrong, I'm sorry. CyberPunk looks pretty average in most models and assets, you should know better. Anyway, won't talk more about Cyberpunk here so let's put this aside ;)

You're welcome, mate! Glad to serve! I know some aren't viewing those on 4K TV's/monitors so those should give a better perspective as you can zoom in and see more details even on a cellphone.
Cyberpunk is actually the most hyped rubbish and comparing it to r&c is herecy it shows a lack of graphics knowledge.

Music by Mark Mothersbaugh as well! All 3 are great but the 2nd track is amazeballs:

man. atleast they're getting closer. but mark is not what i wanted. where is david bergeaud. that man is the sound of r&c - all this bland orchestral shit for the last whatever amount of years doesnt compare to the standout soundtracks the original 4 games had. tools was david too but I feel like they forced him to adjust the score to be less like the original style and more blander which didnt work out well.

SSfox

I'm all in for a male in Horizon. I prefer playing with a male protagonist when combat is part of the game.
I don't mind male of female as long, it's about is the character is interesting, a female character can be good or meh, and a male can be good or meh, it really depends. Hum... a male main hero in Horizon sound weird to me, imo Aloy fits perfectly Horizon as main character. But i get your point, i always wanted to play a female in Red Dead just for change, and it was nice that i could do that with Red Dead Online, meanwhile i truly love both John and Arthur and those are some of my favorite main characters in vgs.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't mind male of female as long, it's about is the character is interesting, a female character can be good or meh, and a male can be good or meh, it really depends. Hum... a male main hero in Horizon sound weird to me, imo Aloy fits perfectly Horizon as main character. But i get your point, i always wanted to play a female in Red Dead just for change, and it was nice that i could do that with Red Dead Online, meanwhile i truly love both John and Arthur and those are some of my favorite main characters in vgs.

My sister didn't buy/play GOW because to her Kratos looks and sounds awful. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I view Kratos as the best protagonist in gaming.

Rea

My sister didn't buy/play GOW because to her Kratos looks and sounds awful. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I view Kratos as the best protagonist in gaming.
I thought he's antagonist, coz he single handedly killed all of his family and all the gods at the Olympus. Gods killing machine. :goog_unsure:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I thought he's antagonist, coz he single handedly killed all of his family and all the gods at the Olympus. Gods killing machine. :goog_unsure:

Yes, that. I used to hate him, actually. Not only that, he even kills innocent people. But now he's a good father of boy.

Reactions: Rea

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Horizon already looks impressive anyway, uncompressed 4K screenshots from original source, PS.Blog flickr:

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

If anything it'll look better than here, which is still great:

49996329981_772d683c5d_o.png

49996577022_dc0401dfe1_o.png

49996326236_ce375f2981_o.png

It's too early to talk about Starfield and put it high in the graphics category as we've seen nothing but this:

Seeing what Miles looks like...despite being cross gen.....I think HFW will at least look good.

I dont think Sony studios are getting enough credit for making good looking cross gen games. All the debate is about whats gonna be the next cross gen game.

kyliethicc

But Lost Legacy was made with everything already in place. The engine, assets and characters were already pretty much there. Uncharted 1 was made on a new system from scratch. A very complex system. Huge difference in work involved.
So? I was talking about time to develop games. Uncharted 2 and 3 are barely longer than Lost Legacy, but took longer to make. And look and play worse, have lower quality production values, etc.

Lost Legacy wasn't even made by the full studio, only about 80%. And in less than a year. Compare that to Uncharted 3 that took almost 2 years to make. Barely any longer of a game, and significantly worse art, animation, mo-cap, and gameplay. With more devs working on it too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I agree, this seems to be coming from the fact where we live in an age, that some people would be vocal for not having also a female protagonist. Its the sad reality.

I mean, I can absolutely understand it for movies, but what is the point for games. The vast majority will always be men and they can try everything they want but the truth will always be that a absolute minor number of women will play video games (I mean more action oriented games, I know that many women love Animal crossing).

I said multiple times that women in general have other interests than men and that is a very good thing. I am happily married and I think it would turn me off if my wife would have the same taste like me.
The push for more women liking video games comes from the industry because they want more audience and therefore more profit, but perhaps they will never understand that men and women are different and that this is a good thing.
I mean what do they expect, will in 10 years also more men love shopping? I don't think so.

Guys.........it's called Rift Apart. She's CLEARLY a Lombax from a different dimension. This has NOTHING to do with woke politics or "the times we live in" that yall hate.

betrayal

Banned
The review scores for the game will be closely linked to the gameplay and thus, of course, the loading times.

90+ - 0.8 second loading time
85+ - 1.0 second loading time
70+ - 1.3 second loading time

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My 6 Stage Ratchet & Clank Game Cycle:

1. First Sight: "Woah, that looks amazing! Like an animated movie in game form!".

2. After Ten Minutes of Playing: "This is fun, I can't wait to see where this goes".

3. After Two Hours of Playing: "So..... is this it? Is there much else to this game?".

4. After Four Hours of Playing: "I'm so fucking bored. Does this ever end?".

5. After Six Hours of Playing: "I'll take a little break and play something else" *Never plays the game again*

6. After Seeing The Next R&C Game: "Woah, that looks amazing! Like an animated movie in game form!".

6D40AF1E54B73A9FD01A15C82B77623265ADAE44

Now remove numbers 1, 2, 5, and 6.

Graphics.

Are.

Meaningless.

Last edited:
Guys.........it's called Rift Apart. She's CLEARLY a Lombax from a different dimension. This has NOTHING to do with woke politics or "the times we live in" that yall hate.

This is about BROKE politics, ridiculous.

( ̄□ ̄;)ლ(ӨᆸӨ)(-‸ლ)

Dr Bass

So she's a lone wolf resistance fighter from a dangerous planet who is fighting single handedly to stop all the biggest villains in the universe. And she's named after Rosie the Riveter.

I just hope she's funny and likable like Ratchet is.

So only male characters can save the "omniverse"?

Plus we've had a mix of men and women saving the entire world in Final Fantasy games for decades.

Having a female hero in no way has anything to do with being "woke", that's silly.

Was it political when you could play as the Princess in Super Mario Bros 2? Ironically I remember everyone being excited about that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So only male characters can save the "omniverse"?

Plus we've had a mix of men and women saving the entire world in Final Fantasy games for decades.

Having a female hero in no way has anything to do with being "woke", that's silly.

Was it political when you could play as the Princess in Super Mario Bros 2? Ironically I remember everyone being excited about that.

I think many female gamers will go crazy about her. She's really well designed.

Dr Bass

I do too, and I think she looks like she will be a fun addition to the game. And I'm sure Ratchet will be in the game plenty as well. I'm just not worried at all, I can't wait to get it. I don't understand the idea of "I want my game character to be like me as much as possible."

Isn't the point of games entertainment and escapism? I don't care who I play as at all.

Well actually, I was never a big fan of Zangief ...

Last edited:

Interfectum

Spider Man Lol GIF

Lemondish

Yeah, I love her already.

But that's mostly because she's voiced by my favourite voice actor ever. I don't care if there's only 5 voice actors in all of games - Jennifer Hale can play every character and I will be happy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I do too, and I think she looks like she will be a fun addition to the game. And I'm sure Ratchet will be in the game plenty as well. I'm just not worried at all, I can't wait to get it. I don't understand the idea of "I want my game character to be like me as much as possible."

Isn't the point of games entertainment and escapism? I don't care who I play as at all.

Well actually, I was never a big fan of Zangief ...
Bro, not gonna lie, I'm actually more excited to play as Rivet than Ratchet for some reason. New gameplay mechanics and whatnot. Plus, she is so well designed.

MastaKiiLA

It's just a game, dude. If you don't like the character, that's cool. Don't buy the game. But is this the type of conversation that sprung to the front of your mind after you watched that trailer? Maybe you should re-evaluate why you got into gaming in the first place.

Top Bottom