• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – Gameplay Trailer

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Xbox doesn't have any exclusives. And the ones they have, the PC is the better version. I just did a graphics analysis on 5 games that have incredible PBR shaders which dramatically influence the look of a game. And everyone of them was PC versions. I critique every game I see worthy to critique.

The only crime I'm guilty of here in this thread is that I defended the ridiculous claim that this game is Pixar-level quality. ANY artist working at Pixar would laugh at that statement. It's a show of arrogance with ignorance of what goes into making a CG animation. Of course, I'm going to say something about it. And I shouldn't get accused of shitting on the game for defending it either.

57b7n9.jpg

giphy.gif

Joking with you, mate. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Good morning, sir! Well, it's 6:36pm here ;) Sunset time.

Also, did anyone post this?

Yea, I just saw it.

One aspect of a graphics programmer in film vs. gaming is that film engineers have to make shaders and tools based off of what the artists want. We have to attend dailies with the director/production team while they critique our work. In that sense, after many years, you get a sense of what looks correct and what doesn't and exactly the algorithm that makes it look like it does. The mere fact that this guy couldn't point out the flaws in the trailer other than undetailed backgrounds in the gameplay is telling. I'm not trying to knock the guy because I don't know him but the footage tells me that he doesn't have much experience with weighing what looks right and what doesn't with regards to advanced rendering algorithms. For example, he may think that the fur looks great, and not notice that it's an unacceptable look for film with many many shading drawbacks. The other thing is that nearly all of his comments were on the cinematics - which I completely ignore when analyzing what the console hardware can do. Cinematics will always look significantly better than the gamplay. He proved that by comparing the background details in gameplay vs. the cinematics (which are significantly better).

If you can't wait for my analysis when the game comes out in June and want me to do a graphics analysis on this trailer now, I can (as well as the gameplay on Thursday). But it would have to be a general consensus of most PS gamers here and not just you. I've hurt a lot of feelings in this thread by just defending Pixar movies. It would be a massacre if I start talking about the shortcomings of the trailer and I would rather not do that. The game looks great and the presentation gets an A++ from me.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yea, I just saw it.

One aspect of a graphics programmer in film vs. gaming is that film engineers have to make shaders and tools based off of what the artists want. We have to attend dailies with the director/production team while they critique our work. In that sense, after many years, you get a sense of what looks correct and what doesn't and exactly the algorithm that makes it look like it does. The mere fact that this guy couldn't point out the flaws in the trailer other than undetailed backgrounds in the gameplay is telling. I'm not trying to knock the guy because I don't know him but the footage tells me that he doesn't have much experience with weighing what looks right and what doesn't with regards to advanced rendering algorithms. For example, he may think that the fur looks great, and not notice that it's an unacceptable look for film with many many shading drawbacks. The other thing is that nearly all of his comments were on the cinematics - which I completely ignore when analyzing what the console hardware can do. Cinematics will always look significantly better than the gamplay. He proved that by comparing the background details in gameplay vs. the cinematics (which are significantly better).

If you can't wait for my analysis when the game comes out in June and want me to do a graphics analysis on this trailer now, I can (as well as the gameplay on Thursday). But it would have to be a general consensus of most PS gamers here and not just you. I've hurt a lot of feelings in this thread by just defending Pixar movies. It would be a massacre if I start talking about the shortcomings of the trailer and I would rather not do that. The game looks great and the presentation gets an A++ from me.

BkPkdke.jpg

🤭

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yea, I just saw it.

I highly respect your input and know from what perspective you're talking. I personally get triggered when someone compares smartphone photography to high end cameras, but we also should have realistic expectations of the common people, non-professionals in such matters. For example, smartphones today are so good, maybe not even near what a dedicated camera can do but 99% enough for the vast majority of people. I see a similar pattern here.

I personally never try convincing someone to buy cameras if he's not willing to make some bucks back, but would rather explain with footage if possible to make him/her understand the gap between smartphones and cameras. The reality is smartphones have literally killed compact cameras market, even though that compact cameras from 10 years ago still make much better images than top end smartphones today. But when using it on instagram and social media and viewing it through a 5-7" screen, who am I to say they're wrong?

You're a VFX purist and had worked on high caliber movies like The Matrix in the past, but sometimes I think that talented devs have the power to have this influence on the crowd to make comparisons to CGI movies. It's like a talented smartphone photographer can really produce content on par with high end cameras, even though if you have an experienced eye you would tell the difference/flaws.

Anyway most folk here are all about banter and laughs, so don't be so serious ;)

Last edited:

Interfectum

This is why we always get a Sony console regardless of the shit talk lol.
At the end of the day it's always about the games people want to play. Exclusive IP has always been the key to success which is why Sony and Nintendo always take it in the end. Now that MS has bought up a bunch we'll see how it serves them in the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yea, I just saw it.

To be honest I'd rather not hear nitpicking. We should celebrate how amazing it looks

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Forgot to say, Cherno is a former dev at EA and worked on Frostbite and other stuff. He's also making his own gaming engine since sometime now and teaching and learning about game engines on his main channel:

When it comes to gaming, he's the best youtuber/analysist out there, although he doesn't usually deep-dives into these trailers but more like side dishes to what he's mainly doing. That's why he made this alternative channel:

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

When it comes to gaming, he's the best youtuber/analysist out there, although he doesn't usually deep-dives into these trailers but more like side dishes to what he's mainly doing. That's why he made this alternative channel:
I like his analysis but its obvious he doesn't play games much. He trashed lou2 gameplay graphics even tough there is no doubt it was one of best looking game past generation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I like his analysis but its obvious he doesn't play games much. He trashed lou2 gameplay graphics even tough there is no doubt it was one of best looking game past generation.

These are just people like us. They may have superior experience than us, but doesn't make them some kind of gods. Every person makes mistakes and has personal preferences. You can't really take the word of a physician about steak and beef if he's already a vegan, nor does that make what he says 100% wrong as some food can be good for some and bad for others.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Love this. Totally in for Rivet. I feel bad for Insomniac since who the hell knows how it would sell if we weren't in a besieged hardware market. Since "launch" I've managed to cart a PS5 once during a drop but the page crashed.

Anyway, wishing them all the best and I look forward to playing this in a few years probably.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Love this. Totally in for Rivet. I feel bad for Insomniac since who the hell knows how it would sell if we weren't in a besieged hardware market. Since "launch" I've managed to cart a PS5 once during a drop but the page crashed.

Anyway, wishing them all the best and I look forward to playing this in a few years probably.

I seriously think Sony should sell more merch. That Rivet look very adorable. Just see how Fortnite is selling while the game is more like a sandbox with no character depth.

81vTGxIKszL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I saw one shop here that has a dedicated spot of Fortnite toys.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Like Miles Morales, I expect it to keep selling to new users for awhile at least until next year when much more blockbusters hit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are you talking raw graphics quality? Because I still put Ryse up there next to anything. It was crazy fucking impressive.

I nearly bought an Xbox just to play Ryse, but now can play it on my PC on ultra. Didn't play it but saw it on youtube and it's really impressive. I would really like MS to have the guts to invest in such games as I would definitely buy them on PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What's really important is that their reconstruction + upscaling tech is really sublime. Probably the best I have ever seen.

I would take their consistent reconstruction above or on the level of DLSS 2.0 that turns into a blurry mess in motion in some games/settings or have weird malfunctions.

Also heard that it's been patented, but hope that means patented under PlayStation's umbrella.

Last edited:
My 6 Stage Ratchet & Clank Game Cycle:

1. First Sight: "Woah, that looks amazing! Like an animated movie in game form!".

2. After Ten Minutes of Playing: "This is fun, I can't wait to see where this goes".

3. After Two Hours of Playing: "So..... is this it? Is there much else to this game?".

4. After Four Hours of Playing: "I'm so fucking bored. Does this ever end?".

5. After Six Hours of Playing: "I'll take a little break and play something else" *Never plays the game again*

6. After Seeing The Next R&C Game: "Woah, that looks amazing! Like an animated movie in game form!".
You can say this about any game really that exists.

Halo or Doom

First look - OMFG AMAZING

10 Min later - OMG I am killing aliens

1 hour later - Ok, when is the 1st boss?

3 hours later - Am I an gonna face new enemies soon?

1 day in - Omg environments never change and I am just doing same thing over and over. Go into corridor, shoot, repeat

2 days later - Wow final boss. Too bad the loop is always same what a shame!

TLDR - Welcome to video game design. Either the world/lore/characters with the combined specifically designed gamepkay mechanics and gameplay loop is fun repetitive or just plain bad reputation.

Truth is all video games are repetitive. Its impossible to have no repeating gameplay loops. It just boils down to the actual gameplay mechanics, the look, world, feel, storyline, pacing and whatever else if that repetition is good and fun enough to not be considered bad repetition, tedious or bland.

There is a reason why different FPS games exist, despite the core mechanics being almost exactly the same.

Gears of War and Uncharted practically have exact same mechanics. Both have linear story telling with on rail levels and little to almost no exploration (Gears 5 and Uncharted 4 expanded on exploration though), both games have pretty much same cover system, blind firing and some sort of melee combat. I would argue that Gears 5 actual combat is much more satisfying and glorious due to gore and fun execution kills. (Personal preference) but both games are great in their own ways.

Meanwhile, Uncharted 4 relies more on realism, smooth animation transitions. Which one is better?

Neither, both have great shooting mechanics and its down to a personal preference.

Do you prefer the gore and exaggeration and more heavy weight combat ? Or lighter combat with more realism?

Last edited:

NahaNago

We have in this corner pixar who spends 50 million to make the most gorgeous 1 1/2 hour long cg movie and in the opposite corner who spends 50 million to make a 20 hour long gorgeous game.

Pixar is going to win every time.

I will say this insomniac games should be making netflix movies since the graphics of their games are great enough for folks to love it. Honestly the majority of these AAA companies could do the same with their wackier looking video games. Like why isn't their an overwatch movie on netflix right now? ( That ratchet and clank movie was destined to fail after you look into the company making it and the director).

Mister Wolf

We have in this corner pixar who spends 50 million to make the most gorgeous 1 1/2 hour long cg movie and in the opposite corner who spends 50 million to make a 20 hour long gorgeous game.

Pixar is going to win every time.

I will say this insomniac games should be making netflix movies since the graphics of their games are great enough for folks to love it. Honestly the majority of these AAA companies could do the same with their wackier looking video games. Like why isn't their an overwatch movie on netflix right now? ( That ratchet and clank movie was destined to fail after you look into the company making it and the director).

Not even just Pixar. There are prerendered CGI cutscenes in videogames that look better than this with far less budget. Realtime will never look better or even close to prerendered.

CS Lurker

The other thing is that nearly all of his comments were on the cinematics - which I completely ignore when analyzing what the console hardware can do. Cinematics will always look significantly better than the gamplay. He proved that by comparing the background details in gameplay vs. the cinematics (which are significantly better).

Yeah, I do the same. I complete ignore it. Maybe that's why I don't get impressed with some games (technically speaking) while others are dying in love with it (because, hype wise, they seem to put cinematics/cutscenes on the same level as gameplay). But, in the end, all that matters is if people are happy with their entertainment.

Yea, I just saw it.

Because the cutscenes are still real-time. But I think he was mostly talking about the artstyle. He really seems to love that particular artstyle that is common in both cutscenes and gameplay.

By I mostly agree with you, cutscenes are less interesting to judge a hardware performance IMO, even if they run on the hardware like here.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Come on Bo. Don't do that dude. Stop with the warring.
How is that warring? Cyberpunk is a third party game, not tied to any brand's identity but its own.
Have they said how much we will play as Ratchet instead of the "replacement" ratchet? Most of the footage of gameplay is the replacement :/
I don't think they're going to tell us that, since it's tied into the story me thinks.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Mate, it's multiplat. Also that is NES/MegaDrive-level traffic right there.
It's shitting on a competitive game (and not even showing it in it's best presentation). It's the same as comparing this game to Pixar films.. I could easily find errors in this trailer and point them out. It's not a healthy discussion when you start comparing it to other games in a thread made for just this specific game.

Top Bottom