• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAD Founder: Apple could obliterate Switch and render consoles obsolete

Bodomism

Banned
metacritic-games-of-the-decade-header.jpg

Hahahahahah!

Do you what is true! There could be a friggin zombie apocalypse and Nintendo would still sell Nintendo products to Nintendo fans!

Why do all these jokers keep thinking tech and services is more important than the games!!??

Honestly where have they been the last decade and a half! Since the Wii era Nintendo have been a million years behind Sony and Microsoft tech wise but has it stopped them selling a boatload of consoles and software hell no! because they have compelling exclusive content you can't get anywhere else. If you get that part right you can almost do whatever you want ( like never discount your games Nintendo you tight montherfuckers!)

And that's obviously the tricky thing to figure out which you cant just throw money and manpower at. It took sony the entire ps3 generation to get going and Microsoft first party is struggling so hard it hurts.

Sure they slipped on the Wii u but they likely recouped the losses in a year of switch sales where it took Sony a generation and a half to recoup the ps3 losses.

Oh yeah and just to hammer home gamepass ain't gonna disrupt shit UNLESS Microsoft first party content can be equally as compelling as Sony and Nintendos.

Jesus christ Apple kill Nintendo. That's like saying Tesla are gonna kill Disney!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In a tweet posted yesterday, Andrea Pessino, founder and technical director of Ready at Dawn studio, claims that if Apple released an M1-powered portable it would obliterate the Switch and render gaming consoles obsolete in the future.

My take is that even if that were true from a technical POV, content is what matters and without internal studios it wouldn't really do it.

pkCiUAQ.png

giphy.gif

mrmeh

New £750 mobile device without controllers is more powerful than a few years old £199/£279 mobile device (with controllers) :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:

Buhaj

Sony could, in a matter of months, develop an ultrabook that would obliterate any current or future Macbooks. A little further down the road, they could render current laptop architecture obsolete too. If they had the right software library there'd be no stopping them.

What? is it unlikely? Then it doesn't differ from the tweet.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yeah, because power is everything

I remember having fun watching and not playing, because you basically can't, The Order too

TriSuit666

Banned
Apple App approval Workflow, versus Nintendo?

I know which one I'd choose if I was wanting to get my game I've spent 2 years developing in front of the most faces.

There's also the small 30% fee issue on Apple's side.

Leo9

Note how 5nm M1 manages to lose vs 7nm Zens even native vs native not only at perf, but also at perf/watt.

Sounds like a hidden M1 advertisement.
I guess people aren't buying M1 lolbooks in droves.

Chuckle at GPU front of things.
M1 has much better performance per watt. Check the anandtech review. The GPU is super impressive too.
And the M1 is just the start. M2 is coming later this year.

llien

M1 has much better performance per watt. Check the anandtech review. The GPU is super impressive too.
That's the review I've checked. It was comparing 25+ watt 5nm M1 to 15w 7nm Ryzen (among others).
M1 is also a much bigger chip (16 billion transistors vs about 10)

And the M1 is just the start. M2 is coming later this year.
So, shameless marketing inbound... :(

Last edited:

kyliethicc

For those who don't know, the new Apple M1 SoC has similar benchmark performance to the Intel i7 9700K that can hit 5.0 GHz. The 9700K is an 8 core 95 W TDP desktop CPU from 2020.

The Apple M1 SoC is a 15 W TDP tablet chip. It only has 4 high performance cores, and only 3.2 GHz max. Its now in an iPad. No fans. Passively cooled. Silent in use.

And they're not even trying to do what Andrea (the guy from RAD) is saying, they're just making their normal Mac / iPad chip. And the M1 is only their 1st attempt from 2020. Pessino is 100% correct. They could. But they won't.

Leo9

That's the review I've checked. It was comparing 25+ watt M1 to 15nm Ryzen (among others).
M1 is also a much bigger chip (16 billion transistors vs about 10)

So, shameless marketing inbound... :(
Really? M1 only uses about 15-20W for the CPU and around 3-5W per high performance core.
Take a look at SPEC2017 and keep in mind that the "15W" ryzen can use up to 35W during the first couple of minutes of the bench.
Apple is putting an M1 inside a 6mm thick, fanless iPad. Try that with a Ryzen.

Last edited:

llien

Really? M1 only uses about 15-20W for the CPU and around 3-5W per high performance core.
Excuses, huh? :messenger_beaming:
All compared chips are APUs, with integrated GPU, right.

Apple is putting an M1 inside a 6mm thick, fanless iPad. Try that with a Ryzen.
I'm puzzled why you think that would not work.

Lower the clock/voltage (losing perf) and, viola, you got a better chip.

The problem is, what is your base level perf. And it is Apple's face melting already on 7nm. Imagine what 5nm Ryzen will do.

Kikorin

In a tweet posted yesterday, Andrea Pessino, founder and technical director of Ready at Dawn studio, claims that if Apple released an M1-powered portable it would obliterate the Switch and render gaming consoles obsolete in the future.

My take is that even if that were true from a technical POV, content is what matters and without internal studios it wouldn't really do it.

pkCiUAQ.png

Sure Jan GIF

Joke aside, we seen the hardware is the last thing when we talk about the success of a console and Apple is not going anywhere in this regard in next years, especially since have nothing to do with "hardcore" gamers and couldn't offer something at affordable price if don't want to go against their fanbase.

Leo9

Excuses, huh? :messenger_beaming:
All compared chips are APUs, with integrated GPU, right.

I'm puzzled why you think that would not work.

Lower the clock/voltage (losing perf) and, viola, you got a better chip.

The problem is, what is your base level perf. And it is Apple's face melting already on 7nm. Imagine what 5nm Ryzen will do.
The point is "25+ watt M1" and "15W ryzen" is simply false.
As I said, during the SPEC run M1 only uses 20W (and 15W during Cinebench). And the ryzen processor can go up to 30+W.

This is Anandtech's conclusion :

The performance of the new M1 in this “maximum performance” design with a small fan is outstandingly good. The M1 undisputedly outperforms the core performance of everything Intel has to offer, and battles it with AMD’s new Zen3, winning some, losing some. And in the mobile space in particular, there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent in either ST or MT performance – at least within the same power budgets.

llien

Oh, boy, followed apple.com link, selber schuld.
So "The 8-core CPU design features the world’s fastest CPU cores", yeah right, mkay.
And then this new superduper XDR, best evar pro stuff, stupid me, I took the bait.

Looking for reviews, oh, just hyping shit on its own.

But thank god, this guy exists:

A2una1

Maybe, but you need the games.... And Nintendo has years of Brand recognition with them so...... Is RAD doing an Apple exclusive game?

Alright

Banned
When VR becomes lightweight and portable, all of these big tech companies are going to jump in.

If Xcloud is a success, it might backfire on MS

tassletine

Probably true, but it would take a lot of time and effort and dilute their brand, and I'm not sure if they would risk that.
Leadership has faltered since Jobs (or at least nothing they have done since has excited many) so I don't believe this would be a viable option for them at this time.

Apple tech really isn't all it's cracked up to be either. The comparison to Nintendo is apt as what they mainly do is make very smart, efficient business solutions. Basically they leverage the cheapest hardware, polishing the fuck out of it to give a better impression. For example -- Try opening lots of GIFS on an ipad and see how far it gets you.

They would have no chance against the more powerful consoles, so would have to compete via software -- Nintendo are leagues ahead of them in that race.

VR could be the battleground though. Who knows?

llien

The point is "25+ watt M1" and "15W ryzen" is simply false.
In multi-threaded scenarios, power highly depends on the workload. In memory-heavy workloads where the CPU utilisation isn’t as high, we’re seeing 18W active power, going up to around 22W in average workloads, and peaking around 27W in compute heavy workloads.

20-24W is Anands own "speak" about how he'd rate that chip compared to others, so,shrug.
Notable that Anand checks is out with 4000 series mobile Ryzen.

He does state chip is ahead at perf and perf/w though, although, that statement is a bit blurred across Intel/AMD (as AMD does so much better)

Leo9

In multi-threaded scenarios, power highly depends on the workload. In memory-heavy workloads where the CPU utilisation isn’t as high, we’re seeing 18W active power, going up to around 22W in average workloads, and peaking around 27W in compute heavy workloads.

20-24W is Anands own "speak" about how he'd rate that chip compared to others, so,shrug.
Notable that Anand checks is out with 4000 series mobile Ryzen.

He does state chip is ahead at perf and perf/w though, although, that statement is a bit blurred across Intel/AMD (as AMD does so much better)
you can check the power metric here:

Last edited:

Daymos

Apple has no IPs. They would need to buy Disney... and also someone who knows how to make video games.

Making an ipad with controllers doesn't mean shit.

Besides Nintendo is in bed with Nvidia and Nvidia owns (or is buying arm).. without Arm processors there are no apple devices.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Apple has no IPs. They would need to buy Disney... and also someone who knows how to make video games.

Making an ipad with controllers doesn't mean shit.

Besides Nintendo is in bed with Nvidia and Nvidia owns (or is buying arm).. without Arm processors there are no apple devices.
This is dumb.

Apple doesn't need to own IPs, they have a platform to make money on and can easily afford development. Disney itself isn't in the gaming industry anymore, since they can outsource their IP to developers that know what they're doing.

Making an ipad with controllers is a moot point. You can pair up bluetooth devices and controllers to apple devices already, the only thing they need is to put marketing and maybe bundles into Apple Arcade on Apple TV or other devices.

Nintendo is in bed with Nvidia, so that means that Nvidia would buy ARM, completely destroy ARM's royalty revenues by being anti-competitive and cutting off a trillion dollar company due to console wars? Really? This is beyond totally fucking stupid. Nintendo is insignificant in this argument. They are just a customer. Imagine, denying Apple's ability to license ARM over Nintendo already using Nvidia's discount trash bin of old Tegra processors nobody wants in the Switch lineup. The courts would rip Nvidia apart, and the cost would be enormous. Nobody would get ahead. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited:
Oh, boy, followed apple.com link, selber schuld.
So "The 8-core CPU design features the world’s fastest CPU cores", yeah right, mkay.
And then this new superduper XDR, best evar pro stuff, stupid me, I took the bait.

Looking for reviews, oh, just hyping shit on its own.

But thank god, this guy exists:

Remind me of MS's claim:From the most powerfull console to the most powerfull Xbox....😉

Thirty7ven

Banned
The problem isn’t performance, has never been. The problem is cost vs power consumption.

I’m gonna press X for doubt on this one.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned
Sure, from a hardware perspective, but he makes it sound like having a stellar game library is a trivial issue when it's something even tech giants like Amazon & Google are floundering with.

If having the best hardware was the only factor, the PSP & Vita would have obliterated the DS & 3DS.

Leo9

That's a random guy on twitter.
The random guy who wrote the anandtech review.
Look, Apple is using the same core used in the iphone (+200mhz) and manufactured using the most advanced litography available.
The M1 macbook air and pro have insane battery life and thermals.
Sure you can continue to think that a "15W" ryzen CPU that can use up to 40W during real life benchmarks has better performance per watt, but don't expect mobile devices with ryzen anytime soon.

llien

Look, Apple is using the same core used in the iphone (+200mhz) and manufactured using the most advanced litography available.
There are 2 different types of cores in it, 4 beefier, and 4 smaller.
Using better fab process (provided by a third party anyhow) is... hardly something to boast about. :)

The random guy who wrote the anandtech review.
Ouch, thanks for letting know.

The M1 macbook air and pro have insane battery life and thermals.
Define "insane" please.
Asus's OLED Zenbook with a Ryzen claims "up to 16 hours". (and those screens are power hungry)

I think we've crossed the line when most of the power is not consumed by CPU.

Every single iPhone/iPad they sell is a sort of videogame console. They also have the monopoly through the iOS store. I don’t see a reason for why Apple would bother in design a specific hardware for gaming. They even compete, in a way, with Xbox and PS through the Apple TV.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Every single iPhone/iPad they sell is a sort of videogame console. They also have the monopoly through the iOS store. I don’t see a reason for why Apple would bother in design a specific hardware for gaming. They even compete, in a way, with Xbox and PS through the Apple TV.

Why fight them when you can share the pie?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
tenor.gif

Games, content, software.....always matters.

Apple can try, but its not as easy as some think. I do agree that an actual console is how you get in the gaming industry.

I thought Apple tried this already recently? Didnt their recent try have some device with a controller?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He literally says "with the right software" and your first response is this?
You just felt like reiterating his point?

Well, that was a rather massive caveat. And apparently a lot of folks on Twitter pointed that out as well.

They already do

According to research by Digitimes, Apple is expected to ship in excess of 60 million iPhones in the first quarter of 2021. This would make Apple the top smartphone seller over the this quarter and the last of 2020.

Total shipments for the two quarters, are expected to be over 150 million iPhones. That's up 38% year on year, for Apple.

He said "dedicated gaming console".

Last edited:
Top Bottom