• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM November 2005 scores. Believe. NBA2K gets owned by Live.

Mrbob

PS2

We Love Katamari - 9.0
Burnout Revenge - 9.0
Indigo Prophecy - 8.5 *hawt*
Spartan: Total Warrior - 7.0 (Stupid fetch missions wtf? The champ isn't defeated yet.)
Nightmare before Christmas - 7.5
NBA Live 06 - 8.5
NBA 2k6 - 7.5

Digital Devil Saga 2 - 8.0
Sniper Elite - 9.0 (There is like a 3 paragraph review. Good though should be longer text.)
The Suffering Ties that Bind - 7.5
Frogger - 6.5
InuYasha - 5.5
Genji - 7.0
Scooby Doo - 6.0
DICE - 5.0
Tiger Woods 06 - 9.0
Marvel Nemsis: Rise of the Imperfects - 5.5 (So much for your new franchise EA)
187 Ride or Die - 7.5
Urban Reign - 6.0
SLAI - 7.5
DDR Extreme 2 - 8.0
One Piece Grand Battle - 7.5
Capcom Classics Collection - 9.0 (Best arcade collection ever!)
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - 8.0
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary - 8.0
Fifa 06 - 8.0
NCAA March Madness 06 - 8.0 (Isn't this not out till...NOVEMBER?!?!?)
NHL2K6 - 7.0
Delta Force - 5.5
Evil Dead - 7.5
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 - 6.5
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Never Ending Tommorrow - 6.5

PSP
Namco Battle Museum Collection - 8.0
Frantix - 7.0
Gripshift - 5.0
MediEvil Resurrection - 7.0
Tiger Woods 06 - 9.0 (Says loading times been reduced from 30 seconds a hole to 8 or 9 seconds a hole!)
Burnout Legends - 8.5
Fifa 06 - 8.0
Marvel Nemesis Rise of the Imperfects - 5.0 (Portable ownage too. But the camera is different in the PSP game. It is set behind the player. Leads to camera problems)

Damn that is a ton of reviews this month.

EA am cry for laying an egg with their Marvel fighter.

DMczaf

NBA Live 06 - 8.5
NBA 2k6 - 7.5

2.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Tiger Woods 06 - 9.0 (Says loading times been reduced from 30 seconds a hole to 8 or 9 seconds a hole!)

If true, I'm really interested in this. I like the Tiger Woods series, and playing golf on a portable is such a natural fit for some reason I can't ever seem to get enough of it.

I refused the first Woods PSP game because of the ridiculous loading times, sooo...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

wtf? 8 second load times for an EA game? i dont believe this news

Yusaku

I am just baffled by the low scores that NHL2k6 is getting. It's leaps and bounds better than last year, and still better than 06.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:

wtf? 8 second load times for an EA game? i dont believe this news

"Wisely, EA made trimming the load times its number one priority, and voila! This year's PSP Tiger (edit me: this years? hahahah!) has cut its load times down to a mere eight or nine seconds per hole."

0684828138.jpg

Mrbob

PS3 ownage HEE HAW X360 doomed.

"The bitching this round sounds opposite of last. Both ar friendly, but the PS3 may actually be friendlier, " reports one of our PS3 and Xbox 360 development sources, who wished to remain anonymous. "People are find that the Xbox 360 has some stupid bottlenecks."

"ONce we have final hardware for both next gen systems, we'll have a much better idea of how they compare, but the general consensus right now is that the PS3 is considerably more powerful than the Xbox 360 across the board, " said another source. "It's important to get a good idea of which is the most powerful soon, since multi platform games will need to be either ported down from PS3 to 360 or vise-versa."

"Only the game that are exclusive sto either system will be the real techinal showcases," adding "There will be strong points for each, but the cross platform games will most likely look and perform the almost identically."

PS3 is slated to have an actual online community ready to back it up on day one, complete with friend tracking, message services, and a central hub for everything. If it sounds like Xbox Live, it should. Sony has been following MS moves, and, plans to copy most of them...

Ramirez

Anyone who isn't a dumbass knows that Live has been steadily getting better while 2K continues to be among the worst sim games ever created.

Mrbob said:
PS3 ownage HEE HAW X360 doomed.

"The bitching this round sounds opposite of last. Both ar friendly, but the PS3 may actually be friendlier, " reports one of our PS3 and Xbox 360 development sources, who wished to remain anonymous. "People are find that the Xbox 360 has some stupid bottlenecks."

"ONce we have final hardware for both next gen systems, we'll have a much better idea of how they compare, but the general consensus right now is that the PS3 is considerably more powerful than the Xbox 360 across the board, " said another source. "It's important to get a good idea of which is the most powerful soon, since multi platform games will need to be either ported down from PS3 to 360 or vise-versa."

"Only the game that are exclusive sto either system will be the real techinal showcases," adding "There will be strong points for each, but the cross platform games will most likely look and perform the almost identically."

PS3 is slated to have an actual online community ready to back it up on day one, complete with friend tracking, message services, and a central hub for everything. If it sounds like Xbox Live, it should. Sony has been following MS moves, and, plans to copy most of them...

My damn free copy is probably going to take another 2 weeks.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Damn...give Marvel back to Capcom.

Amir0x

Banned
sonycowboy said:
My damn free copy is probably going to take another 2 weeks.

Don't worry. Remember the other thread? Everything that was said in it was actually in PSM.

For some frickin' reason, PSM is nuts.

Mrbob

Some Killzone PS3 infos...

"They will get close to that (the E3 footage), but you will notice that it will simply feel different and some things will not look as good...."

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Some Killzone PS3 infos...

"They will get close to that (the E3 footage), but you will notice that it will simply feel different and some things will not look as good...."

You don't have to type this up. I can just paste the info from the other thread if you like ;)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ramirez said:
Anyone who isn't a dumbass knows that Live has been steadily getting better while 2K continues to be among the worst sim games ever created.

This man speaks the truth,no one listen to Konex and Jobber....ever!

Amir0x said:
You don't have to type this up. I can just paste the info from the other thread if you like ;)

The whole thing read like a horoscope mixed with wishful thinking.

How the fuck can you say Killzone 2/3 won't look as good, when it's probably at least 12-18 months away from release and final dev kits aren't even out. It just seems like horseshit of the greenest kind.

Which makes me wonder, why print it? Is it presented as "loose talk" or speculation, or are they trying to give us the inside scoop? I can live with a rumor or two being wrong, but these guys threw out like 40 or so.

Mrbob

newsguy said:
OMG PSM SAYS PS3 IS MORE POWERFUL THAN 360? MEGATON!!!!!!!

BUY A PS3...

FOR 149

Spad owns the boomerang. Live will own the Sony clone online service. Multiplatform games will look similar on 360 with superior control. Perfect Dark Zero is gonna dominate. Why wait? :D

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
My favorite part about PSM is that in every issue right on the table of contents, they firmly state that they're a magazine solely for the hardcore. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The whole thing read like a horoscope mixed with wishful thinking.

How the fuck can you say Killzone 2/3 won't look as good, when it's probably at least 12-18 months away from release and final dev kits aren't even out. It just seems like horseshit of the greenest kind.

Which makes me wonder, why print it? Is it presented as "loose talk" or speculation, or are they trying to give us the inside scoop? I can live with a rumor or two being wrong, but these guys threw out like 40 or so.

It's PSM. And the readership that actually DOES pay to read it consists of apes now. Seriously, they were worth reading for like 3 issues.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
From all the videos I've seen (I've wathced everything on IGN) NBA Live still looks horriblely unrealistic. Almost every pass animation is broken or is some fancy behind the head crap. And, the players still all skate around.
I think I could handle the skating if they have fixed how players get bumped out of bounds if they make a dribble move and then get stopped by a defender. If you haven't seen it the dribble animation continues and the offensive player just kinda slides off the defender. If they are near a sideline the offensive player winds up out of bounds. Stupidest thing in a basketball game ever. And they've had this glitch for years now.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I feel Live's system is fundimentally broken, but 2k makes very few updates from year to year. At least EA gives aethetic improvements (eventhough I felt like all-star weeked is useless). Also, I'm sure the new supserstars or whatever will be useless and unfair because a team like say, the BUlls, won't even have one.

DMczaf

Some quotes I found.

NBA LIVE 06

Freestylin' ain't just for BMX games

"...When you're controlling a superstar, L1 is a shift key, and combining it with a face button performs a different slick move. Better still, there are six categories-playmaker (Steve Nash), power player (Shaq), sharpshooter (Peja), etc.-and each type has unique moves. The array of jumpers, passes and dunks is awesome, and endlessly satisfying.

The rest of your team then gets involved off of your superstars, just like in the NBA. Double-team Shaq and he can kick out to Antoine for a wide-open 18-footer. That's right: Live 06 has a mid-range game. Yes!

Only a few breakdowns keep 06 from perfection. Both you and the CPU will too-often shoot balls out of bounds off the back of the glass (huh?), missed dunks and lay-ups are too frequent, and animations are a mix of awesome and atrocious. Still, a now-online All-Star Weekend, another solid franchise mode, and naturally controlling gameplay make Live a winner again."

SCORE 8.5

SHAQ

+Satisfying Freestyle moves; great pacing; mid-range J's matter; two-player's a blast.

SHAWN BRADLEY
-Missed dunks and lay-ups; spotty animations; occasional AI flaws.

NBA2K6

Pros: 24/7 mode; solid commentary; loose ball fouls; TV camera, boxout command

Cons: Like last year with the Isomation button, the new Shot Stick has the same "poor-man's-Live" results, it's not as intuitive and takes several games to get the feel for it and even when you do, you still can't pull off the same breadth of moves you can in EA's offering. Animations hit-and-miss; game chooses when you dunk because they haven't adapted to the idea of one button shoots, one button dunks.

abuC

Since when is PSM the authority on Sports games? I'll wait for Steve at Operationsports before I make my decision.

I dont know what he means when he says one button shoots and one button dunks, the 2k videos made it pretty clear the shot stick can control what you do and when you do it.

All these sub-par/mediocre reviews of Urban Reign are worrying me.

However, I just saw this video the other day and got psyched. I mean c'mon! Stone Cold Stunners, Dudley Death Drop AND Sweet Chin Music!!!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
not a bad score for SLAI! soon to be polarized everywhere else though, I reckon.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
... wtf.. PSM actually had a really awesome feature like that info we thought was fake.. No Way!

Urban Reign - 6.0

*sigh*

And the most promising upcoming Beat'em Up continues to score poorly...
Hopefully IGN and Gamespot will have some detailed reviews up tomorrow.

First Beat Down, then Urban Reign and if the videos are anything to go by, Final Fight Streetwise is going to do just as bad. Thank God for the Capcom Classics Collection. Please let the Final Fight emulation be perfect...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ThirstyFly said:
*sigh*

And the most promising upcoming Beat'em Up continues to score poorly...
Hopefully IGN and Gamespot will have some detailed reviews up tomorrow.

First Beat Down, then Urban Reign and if the videos are anything to go by, Final Fight Streetwise is going to do just as bad. Thank God for the Capcom Classics Collection. Please let the Final Fight emulation be perfect...

I agree. This sucks. I mean...it probably doesn't suck. It's scoring better than Beat Down and that's not the worst game I've ever played...but still. It looks so nice in film, what did they screw up?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects - 5.5 (So much for your new franchise EA)

Not a surprise. This is less of a game than it is an advertisement. If you were expecting this to be good, you haven't been paying attention. :p

Urban Reign - 6.0

Gotta say I'm surprised by the low scores for Urban Reign. :(

Capcom Classics Collection - 9.0 (Best arcade collection ever!)
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - 8.0
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary - 8.0

PSP
Namco Battle Museum Collection - 8.0

They are being really generous to these comps, but I'm glad that CCC has scored so well thus far. GOOOOOOOO FORGOTTEN WORLDS!!!

Revolver

Ramirez said:

Yeah, Live has been showing improvement the last two or three seasons, while 2K seems to be in locked in a downward spiral ever since they took out the defensive stance button. 2K's graphics and presentation are great but everything else has been getting worse. It also doesn't help that the QA dept. at VC apparently only exists on paper.

Top Bottom