• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - Jan 09 Reviews

Teknoman

Hero of Legend said:
I wouldn't be so quick to prefer the hub worlds in Unleashed.

A thread at TSS is keeping track of someone in another forum (who happens to be a close friend of a staff member) and that person says IIRC, that getting to the action stages (day and night) is like "pulling out teeth bad".

We won't know which is actually better until someone with good judgment plays both the Wii and 360 versions.

But I see little point in the hub worlds from what I've seen as they're so fucking cramped that you have little free space to actually move around in, plus Sonic's clearly designed for long stretches of land to go super fast in. Here he accelerates too fast so you're actually forced to only lightly push on the analog stick to properly roam the hub worlds. :/

So there's not much in fun factor here.

Edit: Here.

Some people also got pissed off at the bunker stages in Little Big Planet, yet those were pretty fun for me...so whether its THAT bad to make it between the fun stages, remains to be seen.

Luigison said:
What did they say was so bad with Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party?

- series is growing stale
- most minigames recycle same tired concepts from its predecessors
- balance board execution is uninspired and often frustrating
- the laughs are few and far between

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well seeing how this is on the front page and it's relevant to next month's issue, I thought I'd post a few Sonic and the Black Knight GIFs I just baked.

2useiax.gif

SonicBlackKnightGIF-RunningGrass01.gif

More to come.

(Second one is actually artificially sped up a little, sorry bout that.)

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Secret Rings was fun when it worked, but it needed more polish to iron out some of the incredibly frustrating control quirks. And whoever thought it was a good idea to require the responsiveness of the controls to be upgraded through gaining levels should be smacked upside the head.

Zek said:
Secret Rings was fun when it worked, but it needed more polish to iron out some of the incredibly frustrating control quirks. And whoever thought it was a good idea to require the responsiveness of the controls to be upgraded through gaining levels should be smacked upside the head.

My issue will always lie with Cacti being in the dead center of the path, or that annoying level in which you have to wait for the waves to make the platform go higher and then jump to another platform after homing attacking a barrel and then an enemy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zek said:

"Responsiveness" could not be upgraded. Longer lock-on distance, speed, and attacks are among those that could be, but responsiveness wasn't one of them.

Regardless, Black Knight will use the nunchuk so it should be sufficiently responsive.

I'm really warming up to the game, much moreso than when it was first revealed, but there's still two things I'm unsure of:

1. The town and "chivalry" system. From NP: - “If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.” and “At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.” This should definitely be optional, but the article hinted it wouldn't be. :/
2. The stages. Secret Rings was great because, although it took place in the Night of 1000 Nights story, it had a variety of different environments available. Thus far, for Black Knight I've seen two: inside the castle, and running in fields.

If these are pulled off sufficiently well it could be a very, very good game, maybe even better than Unleashed. Having Knuckles and Shadow option (keyword: optional), and “Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down” put to rest some of my initial worries. We definitely need more videos of it though; I hope a week or two before the next NP comes out Sega has a media blowout on the game.

Luigison

scitek said:
Looks like they thought pretty well of Mushroom Men. Can't wait to give it a go.
They said it was too dark though. RE4 was one of the few games I had to up the brightness on. When playing at night I typically prefer dark games. My eyes are very light sensitive to the point I'm constantly turning of lights and/or wearing shades. I wish TV remotes had an easily assessable brightness control similar to the volume control on remotes. For the same reason I get a shock when viewing GAF after being on a site like TMK.

inthegray

Zenith said:
it's not even December yet. ???
i'm surprised people still get confused by this. from wiki:

In the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, the standard practice is to display on magazine covers a date which is some weeks or months in the future from the actual publishing/release date. There are two reasons for this discrepancy: first, to allow magazines to continue appearing "current" to consumers even after they have been on sale for some time (since not all magazines will be sold immediately), and second, to inform newsstands when an unsold magazine can be removed from the stands and returned to the publisher or be destroyed.

Zenith

Banned
inthegray said:
i'm surprised people still get confused by this. from wiki:

it's 2 months in advance, not the usual 1. they can write March 2012 on the cover, it'll still be out of date within 1 month of release at the most.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Here's some more Sonic and the Black Knight GIFs from the TGS trailer, forgive the high download quota. :D

5b8k5w.jpg

2ijixr5.gif

r1bzwh.gif

That's about all I got for that particular trailer, c'mon Sega release a new one please~

Top Bottom