• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - Jan 09 Reviews

yoopoo

Banned
Wii games

Animal Crossing: City Folk: 8.0
Rygar: 7.0
Castlevania Judgement: 7.0
Tales of Symphonia 2: 8.0
Sonic Unleashed: 8.0 (what a load of shit)
Guitar Hero: WT: 8.5
Shaun White Snowboarding: 7.0
Mushroom Men: 8.0
Tomb Raider Underworld: 7.0
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009: 8.0
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party: 5.5
Star Wars The Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels: 4.0
Cooking Mama World Kitchen: 6.5
Spiderman Web of Shadows: 6.5
Need for Speed Undercover: 6.5
Monster Lab: 6.5

DS games

Chrono Trigger: 9.0
Metal Slug 7: 7.5
Moon: 7.5
Mushroom Men: 5.0
Gauntlet: 7.5
Age of Empires: Mythologies: 7.0
Star Wars The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance: 6.0
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia: 8.0
Neopets Puzzle Advanture: 6.0
Monster Lab: 8.0
Luminous Arc 2: 7.0
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009: 4.0

http://go nintendo.com/?p=63196

Rlan

Yaaay Sonic.

Hmm, Neopets Puzzle Adventure only getting a six, despite being what is essentially Reversi Puzzle Quest. Is it just the Reversi part that's not all that fun, the Neopets aesthetic, or are Infinite Interactive stretching themselves in a bit with this, Puzzle Kingdoms and Puzzle Quest: Galactrix?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice one for Pokemon Ranger SoA, the first one was neat.

And whoa, Monster Lab Wii = 6.5, Monster Lab DS = 8.0.

Zilch said:
The problem with the Sonic Cycle is that people WANT it to continue.
Yeah, it's tiring.

markatisu

Interested to hear what they had to say about Rygar, I completely forgot this game was being made

Too bad about Clone Wars score, I am loving that game but I can probably guess it was due to the length, lack of characters and controls (so pretty much everything lol)

Tiktaalik

Nintendo Power said:
Mushroom Men (Wii): 8.0
Mushroom Men (DS): 5.0

Monster Lab (Wii): 6.5
Monster Lab (DS): 8.0

It's like reverse! :lol

Nintendo Power said:
Metal Slug 7: 7.5

:(

I'll wait for the Metal Slug 7 score for the consoles... Isn't it coming to PSN/Arcade I heard?

I was really looking forward to Moon. Can someone post snippets from the review? I might still pick it up at some point, maybe now just not day one.

Edit: From EDGE a 7 wouldn't be bad at all, but from Nintendo Power it's sort of borderline and it definitely makes me want to read the review text to see the justification.

Teknoman

yoopoo said:
Sonic Unleashed: 8.0 (what a load of shit)

u-mad1.jpg

Also stop calling the game any form of excrement. Its not like you've played it, and Sonic doesnt (and never will) automatically mean bad.

D-Pad

yoopoo said:
Rygar: 7.0
Castlevania Judgement: 7.0
Shaun White Snowboarding: 7.0
Mushroom Men: 8.0

Not too shabby. Not shabby at all. I would like to hear what NP thought about quoted titles please, especially the ones in bold. Thanks in advance.

yoopoo

Banned
Teknoman said:
Also stop calling the game any form of excrement. Its not like you've played it, and Sonic doesnt (and never will) automatically mean bad.
Don't need to play it, its from Sonic Team. Rather play something from Acclaim or Sony.

Firestorm

Well, Nintendo Power's been great with scores except for Sonic games really.

Sonic and the Secret Rings - 8.5/10.
So yeah.

Dyne

I think Mushroom Men for the Wii is solid. I watched my girlfriend play it at PAX for about half an hour and I was impressed.

Original IP.. check.
Wii game.. check.
No minigames.. check.

I think this might be the best Wii game you can get this fall. That's kind of sad, but I promise it's worth looking at rather than glossing over.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Great for Sonic Unleashed, can't wait to get it (Wii version). Good score for AC too.

Not bad for Rygar, honestly I was expecting a lot worse.

yoopoo said:
Don't need to play it, its from Sonic Team. Rather play something from Acclaim or Sony.

No, Dimps did the Wii version. (now don't you feel stupid.)

D-Pad

Firestorm said:

So yeah.

So yeah what? That was a really good game, imo. Also: The mini games felt a lot like Mario Party in it's better years.

ReiGun

Good job Mushroom Men (Wii obviously). Really surprised by Symphonia, considering all the negative impressions I've been reading.

Instead of easing my fears, the 8 for Unleashed makes me more suspicious. Funny how that works.

Edit: Im still getting it though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:

So yeah.

Secret Rings deserved just that, actually. Which bodes well for their Unleashed score.

Firestorm

I will never understand the love for that game. It started out as dog shit and became average close to the end. That does not deserve an 8.5 or any praise at all.

markatisu

Firestorm said:
I will never understand the love for that game. It started out as dog shit and became average close to the end. That does not deserve an 8.5 or any praise at all.

I will never understand the hate for it either, the only thing I could not stand was the story segments cause it felt like it broke up the flow

But the actual levels and controls seemed fine to me. If anything it was just an average game which given the last few Sonic games was a vast improvement

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
yoopoo said:
No they did not, Sonic Team did. Dimps "helped" with the day time levels of Wii/PS2 versions.

Regardless of the level that Sonic Team was involved in (which I personally believe is quite low based on random interviews), you really should play the game before talking trash- it's like the first rule of GAF (that or hiding the fact that you didn't well).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PowerSmell said:
You're the one posting Nintendo Power scores and linking to **********.
This

Seriously, WTF dude. Don't make a magazine thread unless you have the magazine yourself. Random numbers sourced from go nintendo is meaningless to people.

This IS the Wii version of Sonic, rather wait for a 360/PS3 version review. But at any rate, good score for a Wii "port" (even though I think I remember hearing they developed this version separately from the others).

I am really going to be let down if this isn't the true revival of Sonic. Sonic cycle be damned, I want some classic speed platforming. I guess I'll have to rely on making/playing LBP levels if this ends in tragedy.

grandjedi6

TheGreatDave said:
Should I ignore their Sonic praise or something?
Nintendo Power can't really be trusted with Sonic reviews, at all. And I say this as a long time subscriber of NP.

Teknoman

SuperDowns said:
This IS the Wii version of Sonic, rather wait for a 360/PS3 version review. But at any rate, good score for a Wii "port" (even though I think I remember hearing they developed this version separately from the others).

I am really going to be let down if this isn't the true revival of Sonic. Sonic cycle be damned, I want some classic speed platforming. I guess I'll have to rely on making/playing LBP levels if this ends in tragedy.

Wii version is pretty much a game all its own. PS2 version is a port of the Wii game. But yeah, 360/PS3 version will most likely be judged as the main version of the game.

And im hoping that since the review staff is totally different from the days of Shadow the hedgehog, this review actually means something.

EDIT: On a side note, Wasnt Tales of Symphonia 2 actually pretty good? Not mindblowing, but good if you liked the first game/Tales series in general?

markatisu

Teknoman said:
EDIT: On a side note, Wasnt Tales of Symphonia 2 actually pretty good? Not mindblowing, but good if you liked the first game/Tales series in general?

Depends on what you were expecting, most reviews said it was more of the same, average and in some ways mediocre because it did not push the Wii or evolve the series in any significant way.

Some people (like myself) think thats good, others think its bad. Gametrailers thought it was solid, IGN did not, without the actual review its hard to tell where Nintendo Power falls.

Teknoman

markatisu said:
Depends on what you were expecting, most reviews said it was more of the same, average and in some ways mediocre because it did not push the Wii or evolve the series in any significant way.

Some people (like myself) think thats good, others think its bad. Gametrailers thought it was solid, IGN did not, without the actual review its hard to tell where Nintendo Power falls.

Hmm well thats at least a purchase for me. As long as the game looks good, sounds good, and plays well, i'm fine.

grandjedi6

Teknoman said:
And im hoping that since the review staff is totally different from the days of Shadow the hedgehog, this review actually means something.
But its not totally different. For the most part the staff is relatively the same. And most importantly the guy who does almost every Sonic review is still with the magazine.

botticus

markatisu said:

NP basically agreed with GT. Decent game overall, but nothing mindblowing. Negatives were no overworld (though it's not a big deal since you're revisiting mostly the same locations), some of the motion controls aren't easily recognized [I haven't used any, so I can't comment], much shorter than the original.

I can do the usual Q&A or post a full issue summary tomorrow/Monday if it's required, too late tonight.

Teknoman

grandjedi6 said:
But its not totally different. For the most part the staff is relatively the same. And most importantly the guy who does almost every Sonic review is still with the magazine.

Damn. Well back to waiting for a decent review/hands on, though im really interested in the HD version more than anything.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:

Pretty sure IGN will rate it in the same ballpark though, so I think it's safe to trust them on this one.

grandjedi6 said:
Is he? I thought the Shadow review was from before Imagine/Future started doing the mag. I was under the impression Imagine/Future restaffed the whole magazine from scratch.

edit: never mind, a quick look shows I am wrong-o bong-o.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Andrex said:
Secret Rings deserved just that, actually. Which bodes well for their Unleashed score.

8.5 for Sonic and the Secret Ring? Lol only if the game had had the 6 extra month of development it obviously needed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mistouze said:
8.5 for Sonic and the Secret Ring? Lol only if the game had had the 6 extra month of development it obviously needed.

Maybe for some nifty CG cutscenes, but where it counted (gameplay + graphics/presentation), it shined.

onipex

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Uh... should I be excited?

Well IGN did say the Wii version was shaping up to be the best so far in the their hands on, so yes forget all hope that this game is good.

Andrex said:
Regardless of the level that Sonic Team was involved in (which I personally believe is quite low based on random interviews), you really should play the game before talking trash- it's like the first rule of GAF (that or hiding the fact that you didn't well).
I agree with the bolded.

I think that Dimps most likely did alot more than what Sonic Team would let on . . . cause it would sting like hell if Dimps out-right out did them in this sense (as in, people liking the Wii/ Dimps version more than the 360 one).

Teknoman

onipex said:
Well IGN did say the Wii version was shaping up to be the best so far in the their hands on, so yes forget all hope that this game is good.

Pfft. IGN also made it out like the framerate was still messy in the HD versions. Which isnt the case for the 360 anyway. Still think the HD version gameplay looks better than the Wii/PS2 version.

Tiktaalik

Mejilan said:
Huh. I wonder why the two versions of Monster Lab rated so differently.

My guess is because the wiimote sucks, but the stylus is awesome. Aside from the turn based combat, there is also experimentation and exploration sections. Control might be a factor in the experiments.

Top Bottom