• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - November 2009

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Htown said:
A Boy and His Blob - 8.5

Yes!

Wish they had reviewed Silent Hill but eh I can wait.

Rush2thestart said:
A Boy and His Blob Review Summary:

...beautiful and atmospheric... enchanting musical score that further helps set the mood... "cartoon come to life."... unlike anything else released in the last 20 years... no life meter, no lives counter, no level names, no voiceovers, no script, no dialogue and no savescreen (it autosaves)... in BaHB, it works because the story is convincingly told through its beautiful animation. They compare the relationship between the blob with the relationship of Yorda and the protagonist in ICO... challenging... game has 80 levels... final word they use to describe the game is fun.

Holy... holy shit.

Hello, I'm here to participate on the A Boy and His Blob circle jerk. I am hyped as a mofo for this game. WayForward could just keep pumping out 2D revivals of 8/16 bit games indefinitely and I'd be cool with that. It drives me nuts that no publisher had the foresight to back Shantae as a full retail game. I don't have a DSi yet, but thank God WayForward found a format to deliver the project in some form, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
anyone want to post the review summaries for every game not yet posted? also feel free to skip anything multiplatform.

Game length: comparable to Zelda: LTTP's quest for three pendants with a cliffhanger after you beat Agahnim

Wait, are they saying all 3 episodes combined equals the length of the three pendant quest or each episode is that long? If it's the former, that's pretty disappointing.

Taxman

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, are they saying all 3 episodes combined equals the length of the three pendant quest or each episode is that long? If it's the former, that's pretty disappointing.
It's the latter.

Taxman

Andrex said:
So combined they're a bit longer than LttP? Wow.
Woah hold on. One of my secret shames is that I've never played LttP. How long is the three pendant quest? I may have misunderstood.

bon

The Shantae article has some really pretty artwork. Too bad there won't be a box/instruction booklet.

botticus said:
Hero's Saga:

Might & Magic:
Falling block/turn-bases strategy battles are original, deep and intuitive
Overhead exploration parts not as enjoyable (predetermined movement)
Includes leveling up, character customization, and side quests
Rotating cast of lead characters
Uneven difficulty curve (hard bosses/mindless battles)
Sold

Htown said:
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - 8.5
Booya... that's my studio's game :)

From someone who had a subscription to NP for 9 years in my youth, developing a game that scored 8.5 in the same magazine makes me feel frigging awesome.

kudos to jackson for another great scrib score.

Bizzyb

Banned
Diablohead said:
Wasn't the original boy and his blob on NES an open world game?

Kind of, but not really. It was just that the game wasn't broken up into "levels" but I seem to remember that once you go too far down in the caves you can't get back up to the surface.

Taxman said:
Ok yeah, that's about right then.

That's perfectly fine, although I don't think all 3 episodes combined would be as big as LTTP. That's ok, since there's still plenty to play. I'm seriously considering a DSi because of this, but I only jumped into DSL last year around this time. I've been a fat user refusing to upgrade since it served me well.

Htown said:
I don't know, what do you want to know? It's a long ass article and I don't actually care all that much about Shantae. GAF is the first place I even heard of the game.

s6u3yo.gif

I'm going to hit you so hard.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Whatever dude I summarized the article about that Shantilly game or whatever, leave me alone.

Htown said:
Whatever dude I summarized the article about that Shantilly game or whatever, leave me alone.

Doesn't matter. I'm buying the issue anyhow, and you should get your hands on Shantae to compensate for your Incredible Hercules avatar! ;)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Cromulent_Word said:
Booya... that's my studio's game :)

From someone who had a subscription to NP for 9 years in my youth, developing a game that scored 8.5 in the same magazine makes me feel frigging awesome.

kudos to jackson for another great scrib score.

Congratulations, mate.

Your company's logo is even cuter now that it's animated :D.

soldat7

They spend a lot of time talking about how beautiful and atmospheric the game is. Can't really summarize this, because I wouldn't do it justice. They also praise the enchanting musical score that further helps set the mood. They describe it as a "cartoon come to life." They refer to the game as refreshing and that it feels like unlike anything else released in the last 20 years. They love the concept of feeding a blob jelly beans to transform it into useful tools. There's no life meter, no lives counter, no level names, no voiceovers, no script, no dialogue and no savescreen (it autosaves). This could be detrimental in some games, but in BaHB, it works because the story is convincingly told through its beautiful animation. They compare the relationship between the blob with the relationship of Yorda and the protagonist in ICO for PS2. Another word they use to describe the game is challenging. The game has 80 levels and finding all the hidden treasures and conquering the bonus levels is no easy task. The final word they use to describe the game is fun.

This sounds more 9.5 than 8.5. Day 1.

donny2112

Rush2thestart said:

They spend a lot of time talking about how beautiful and atmospheric the game is. Can't really summarize this, because I wouldn't do it justice.

Here's the first paragraph of the one page (that's the biggest review size in NP) review.

"The first word that comes to mind when you play A Boy and His Blob is beautiful. The game looks absolutely stunning. The rich, hand-drawn 2-D graphics are extraordinarily detailed, and the character animation is second to none; backgrounds are vibrant, multilayered, and full of visual flourishes. Colorful butterflies hover in fields of lush vegetation; stone walls seem to be built from individually crafted stones; intricate machinery spins and whirs; majestic limestone formations turn ominous caverns into works of art; alien plant life is foreign yet inviting with its Willy Wonka-esque aesthetic. Amazing lighting effects - among the best ever seen in a 2-D game - also add to the visual appeal, and an enchanting musical score further helps set the mood. If there was ever a game that fits the bill of "cartoon come to life," this is it."

SirPenguin said:
Heh, seriously. What were some of the complaints they had?

"The puzzle-platformer formula is nothing new
, but the idea of a young boy partnered with a blob that can transform into various tools ... determined by the jellybeans that you feed it isn't exactly a concept you see every day
."

Seriously, there're like no negative sentences in this review. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
evilromero said:
Pre-order A Boy and His Blob. Will be a busy week with that and Silent Hill, plus Wii Fit Plus still getting time.

Silent Hill comes out in November.

If you like Shantae buy this issue!

Six pages of glory! Lots of swanky new art that reveals the new look of the main cast, and just I CAME!

Baiano19 said:
Holy fucking shit the A boy and his blob review. :O

When is this going to be released?

I thought it was scheduled for next week? :X

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Baiano19 said:
Holy fucking shit the A boy and his blob review. :O

When is this going to be released?

My Google Calendar says... Tue, Oct 13. :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
nincompoop said:
This is why I'm glad I'm not a graphics whore, Adventure Island TB was a lot of fun and Bonk sounds like it's shaping up nicely too. Oh well, your loss!

I don't think you quite understand what's the meaning of "graphics whore".
It's someone fapping at technical marvels more than artistic department.

Metroid Prime looks astounding but any graphics whore would scuff at it.

Bad Art(TM) makes my eyes bleed and I'm no graphics whore.

The Take Out Bandit said:

Six pages of glory! Lots of swanky new art that reveals the new look of the main cast, and just I CAME!
lol I picked it up today. The artwork is really fantastic and I love what I'm seeing from the screens.

HUELEN10

The Take Out Bandit said:

I am surprised, yet happy to see you excited about it. I thought you were still pissed off at the system it was on. GLad I'm wrong though. :)

I want to get the issue, but haven't seen it at the newsstand yet.

A Boy and his Blob wasn't really on my radar (not because of quality, just too much other stuff already), but the more I read about it the more interested I get! Sounds really good.

I own the old NES and GB ones but have never really played them before lol, I dunno how much the new one has to do with those but I might have a look at them in the lead up to release just for fun. :D

Top Bottom