• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSBlog: First details on Helldivers 2 do-op and combat gameplay (New co-op and combat trailer)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The first one kinda snuck up on me. This looks like it might do the same. I disregarded its announcement. But kinda liking what I see now.
My buddy was really into the first one and raved about it and loved it, I never got around to playing it. But this one's aesthetics are getting its hooks into me. Will definitely be checking it out to coop with friends.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Looks awesome but still no release date. Prob will come out Nov/Dec.

I was thinking it could get delayed at first, but the game is probably not very complicated by most standards and from what little we've seen it looks like it's about in the shape it would be for release. I don't imagine they need much more time.

Varteras

Gold Member
I remember before the first game came out and all we knew of the game was the title, then someone posted a link to the DeviantArt page of the professional concept artist, StTheo, who had posted ridiculously sick concept art under the same "Helldivers" title:

His artwork was soo good, giving Metal Gear vibes, that I was totally underwhelmed to learn the real Helldivers game was not connected to this art at all and looked nothing like it.
Holy shit. That art is fucking sick. Shit needs to be used in a game somewhere.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Stratagems return with bigger and badder weapons and gear than ever before. Find out how teaming up with friends may make or break your mission in HELLDIVERS 2. Join the Helldivers to fight for freedom across a hostile galaxy in third-person co-op shooter operations. Developed by Arrowhead Game Studios. Coming soon to PlayStation 5 and Steam on PC.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I swear you're running a reverse psychology psyop. :pie_roffles:

In the same way Colt Eastwood and other Xbox shills wants Sony to go Day 1 on PS+ for their first party so it can damage them.

You know that red button theoretical? Would you push a red button that randomly kills a person on earth if it meant a new Live Service game started development?

I would press that button so fast, so repeatedly, they'd have to drag me out of the room. I would attack the scientists, jam the doors with a broom, and press that little button like I was getting tackled in Tecmo Bowl until I passed out from exhaustion.

Don't ever compare me with Colt Eastwood ever again.

This is a multiplayer game that I want to play because the graphics are realistic and it's based on starship troopers. Sorry bleeding edge and splatoon I hate your design

Varteras

Gold Member
You know that red button theoretical? Would you push a red button that randomly kills a person on earth if it meant a new Live Service game started development?

I would press that button so fast, so repeatedly, they'd have to drag me out of the room. I would attack the scientists, jam the doors with a broom, and press that little button like I was getting tackled in Tecmo Bowl until I passed out from exhaustion.

lips lip biting GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GotY 2023

Things I noticed:

- Player movement looks slow. Thank God.
- Long range engagement distances in trailer look rare. Hoping that's more pronounced in game.
- Skins look more varied in here. MTX likely.
- Looks like a PS4 game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Paris Hilton Thats Hot GIF

R6Rider

Gold Member

Meme Reaction GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
I've been looking at this as well. Does it play well solo or is it a strictly coop affair?

The first game was a nightmare to try by yourself, from what I remember. I'm sure someone out there pulled it off, but I sure as shit never lasted long. Definitely a game meant for friends to group up.

Reactions: GHG

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looks Good Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Now to convince some friends to get it.

Remnant II and this are looking to be some great co-op shooters.

drotahorror

The weather effects look so damn good. If they hadn’t nailed that killer atmosphere I would have had my doubts and I initially did, but this is a day 1 title for me. Maybe my most anticipated game this year at the moment.

Hope it can be played solo as well like part 1.

Liamario

Banned
First game is really good. Very addictive. If they can keep that sort of arcadey feel, I'll be very interested.

GHG

The first game was a nightmare to try by yourself, from what I remember. I'm sure someone out there pulled it off, but I sure as shit never lasted long. Definitely a game meant for friends to group up.

Thanks for the info. That's an avoid for me then.

Calverz

Looks pretty generic but I have a mate who wants to play it so will keep an open mind on it for now.

Liamario

Banned
Looks pretty generic but I have a mate who wants to play it so will keep an open mind on it for now.
It does, but the original game is quite arcadey and a lot of fun. It's quite fast paced. I do recommend the first game. It'll give you a better idea.

Ogbert

Really hope the game is good, but my God the first one had some of the worst gameplay design decisions I have ever seen. The input commands were hideous.

It was as if they specifically set out to make a top down shooter that was not fun.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Really hope the game is good, but my God the first one had some of the worst gameplay design decisions I have ever seen. The input commands were hideous.

It was as if they specifically set out to make a top down shooter that was not fun.
The input commands were HILARIOUS 😂.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The first game established that we can trust these devs to deliver greatness. Helldivers is a sleeper... I wonder sometimes if it's one of my top 10 games. My playtime would suggest maybe.

(I had a awesome co-op group during this time though... that definitely factors in).

Idk if there's a game we're you're so focused/ stressed while also laughing your ass off. When the worst thing happens at the worst time and you crack up laughing but simultaneously stressing. Lol

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The first game established that we can trust these devs to deliver greatness. Helldivers is a sleeper... I wonder sometimes if it's one of my top 10 games. My playtime would suggest maybe.

(I had a awesome co-op group during this time though... that definitely factors in).

Idk if there's a game we're you're so focused/ stressed while also laughing your ass off. When the worst thing happens at the worst time and you crack up laughing but simultaneously stressing. Lol

My favorite memory was my 4-man squad fighting like hell to complete a mission. Then getting squashed by a dropship because we didn't know it could kill us

GymWolf

I need someone to sell me on this sequel because i kinda like what i see but there is no X factor that make this a day one purchase for now.

Did the first one had good enemy variety?

Last edited:
I'm super curious about the gameplay loop and would like to see what people would be doing. It's been forever since I played the first game. But I will say, I really dig the art direction so far even if it's a bit by-the-numbers-sci-fi, it still looks coherent. Looking forward to seeing more. I REALLY hope it has cross-play, especially since it's a co-op only game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unpopular opinion? Helldivers 2 is just a more interesting Armored Core VI?

Build your Helldiver / Mech before match. Both relatively difficult. Helldivers 2 significantly better at creating interesting, heroic "water cooler" moments.

Popular opinion? Comparing two unreleased games in such a way is childish and lame.

Top Bottom