• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSBlog: First details on Helldivers 2 do-op and combat gameplay (New co-op and combat trailer)

Varteras

Gold Member

Creating your loadout feels like part of the mission prep: changing your weapon to suit not only your appetite for destruction but the mission and enemy types you might encounter. Your greatest aids as a Helldiver are stratagems: powerful tools that can be summoned with short button combinations. Everything from airstrikes to Hellpods containing bigger, badder weapons to defensive gear and extra supplies are at your fingertips.

Each member of your squad can play according to their own style: some of you will charge into the fight, others will call down a sniper rifle stratagem and maintain a safe distance while picking off the enemies. You can even sneak past encounters if your team moves carefully. You’re all free to decide how you want to spread Managed Democracy: up close and personal, or with tactical oversight.

There’s not only cooperative combat, but you’ll have cooperative objectives to tackle with your team as well. You’ll be able to share locations with each other and move together across the map. You’ll also encounter optional objectives to complete, requiring a small detour with your teammates, and of course, requiring more ammunition. But you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.

53026521933_ab5930eb75_h.jpg

53026205569_211ee73103_h.jpg

53026205524_051c8f80f0_h.jpg

53026205484_b6672ee5ec_h.jpg

Last edited:

ARK1391

Really excited for this! Loved the first Helldivers, I am curious how they will recreate the chaos of the first game with the move to 3rd person.

Varteras

Gold Member
Really excited for this! Loved the first Helldivers, I am curious how they will recreate the chaos of the first game with the move to 3rd person.

I'm going to guess that enemy variety and density will be greater overall. Weapons and stratagems will likely feel more intense, since your view will be much closer to the action. Not to mention the environmental effects. Friendly fire still being a thing on top of that. I'm sure the chaos will be glorious.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm going to guess there will be a State of Play for this in the near future. At the very least, it will be one of those 10 minute sections to cap off other small announcements.

Move to 3rd person?

The first game wasn't 1st person. It was 3rd person isometric view, wasn't it?

Sometimes people say "3rd person" when talking about an over-the-shoulder view or one pulled up close to your character. They say "isometric" when referring to that particular angle.

I remember before the first game came out and all we knew of the game was the title, then someone posted a link to the DeviantArt page of the professional concept artist, StTheo, who had posted ridiculously sick concept art under the same "Helldivers" title:

His artwork was soo good, giving Metal Gear vibes, that I was totally underwhelmed to learn the real Helldivers game was not connected to this art at all and looked nothing like it.

[Sigma]

I just wanna know what its like for those of us without friends. haha. Hows the single player? matchmaking? etc.
It was great. You could play by yourself but higher level planets could get super difficult and basically impossible to beat by yourself in spots(mostly with dealing with the cyborgs). You had to very strategic. Matchmaking with a randoms was great also, I helped many people get trophies/Platinum and some dlc trophies in the game. The community was mostly helpful in my experience but of course you could run into some asshole that would get your team killed lol.

Looking good.

If this is Sony's first GAAS game, they are taking it seriously, and will be at least moderately successful.

StueyDuck

I fucking loved the first one.. on vita of all things..

Hopefully I can convince my crew to get It this time, easier sell now that it's 3rd person for them

Sometimes people say "3rd person" when talking about an over-the-shoulder view or one pulled up close to your character. They say "isometric" when referring to that particular angle.

Yeah, but isometric is still 3rd person.

People using terms incorrectly isn't an excuse to continue propagating the same error.

Not really seeing the what the big deal is.

If you say something and use incorrect terms to describe your intent, don't be upset when people get confused as to your intent.

So... folks should say what they actual mean, instead of using incorrect verbiage. It's a pretty simple and straightforward rule of effective communication.

ShakenG

If you say something and use incorrect terms to describe your intent, don't be upset when people get confused as to your intent.

So... folks should say what they actual mean, instead of using incorrect verbiage. It's a pretty simple and straightforward rule of effective communication.
Nah, i get that.
But dude said " with the move to 3rd person" he isnt wrong. He didnt say its making a move from 1st person to 3rd, he simply said to 3rd person. No one is going to get confused with what he meant.

Unless ive misunderstood the conversation. Sounds like you're upset over nothing. If someone doesnt understand, im sure they'll live to see another day.

Nah, i get that.
But dude said " with the move to 3rd person" he isnt wrong. He didnt say its making a move from 1st person to 3rd, he simply said to 3rd person. No one is going to get confused with what he meant.

Unless ive misunderstood the conversation. Sounds like you're upset over nothing. If someone doesnt understand, im sure they'll live to see another day.

My point is that it's not correct. Isometric is 3rd person as well. So it's not a move to 3rd person. It's a move from isometric 3rd person to over-the-shoulder 3rd person.

T0minator

Helldivers 2 looks great. What's an estimated month for the release? I'm guessing either September or November

R6Rider

Gold Member
My point is that it's not correct. Isometric is 3rd person as well. So it's not a move to 3rd person. It's a move from isometric 3rd person to over-the-shoulder 3rd person.
Literally nobody I know EVER refers to isometric or top down games as third-person.

Colloquially there's a difference in calling games one or the other.

Last edited:
Isometric is also often not correct, since it's more just a 'birds-eye view'. Real isometric means that there's no parallax (like Diablo 1).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The best Starship Troopers game is an unofficial one. For all intent and purposes, this is the definitive ST game series.

It's not really that big of a deal. But if you want to expend energy on it, you do you.

I never said it was a big deal. You said something incorrect that was confusing and I questioned you on it. It's now clarified.

If you don't want to be questioned in the future, try not to use technically incorrect terms to describe what you actually mean.

Literally nobody I know EVER refers to isometric or top down games as third-person.

Colloquially there's a difference in calling games one or the other.

It doesn't matter if people don't refer to it as 3rd person. It's a 3rd person perspective. This is a factually accurate statement.

I don't know why you are even bothering to argue against facts. Facts are facts regardless of the frequency of people citing them.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I never said it was a big deal. You said something incorrect that was confusing and I questioned you on it. It's now clarified.

If you don't want to be questioned in the future, try not to use technically incorrect terms to describe what you actually mean.

I'm not the one who said it. You quoted someone else. I told you why they might say something like that. If you're going to be so damn pedantic, at least pay attention to who you're talking to as well.

DelireMan7

Waiting for this one. First one was a blast with friends.

Interesting to switch to 3rd person (I intentionally ignore all the semantical discussion in this thread, I guess you see what I mean). Guess it means no local coop ? Or with splitscreen ?
It might be easier to deal with Friendly friend, especially on big enemies. Friendly fire is a real thing in the first one, I hope it stays as deadly.

Love the Starship Troopers vibes some screen are showing.

R6Rider

Gold Member

It doesn't matter if people don't refer to it as 3rd person. It's a 3rd person perspective. This is a factually accurate statement.

I don't know why you guys are trying to argue against facts.

You've made a big deal out of something that nobody had an issue with. Literally only you.

If you technically want to pretend it's not a big deal for you, while having the most posts in a thread, then by all means.

Nobody is arguing against facts here. Do you not know what colloquial means?

As mentioned above you technically can't even quote the right person.

Last edited:
I'm not the one who said it. You quoted someone else. I told you why they might say something like that. If you're going to be so damn pedantic, at least pay attention to who you're talking to as well.

Ok fair, but then why are you even wading into a discussion about something someone else said and then afterwards complaining that it's being made into a big deal?

If you didn't make the incorrect original statement, why are you trying to defend it?

You've made a big deal out of something that nobody had an issue with. Literally only you.

If you technically want to pretend it's not a big deal for you, while having the most posts in a thread, then by all means.

Nobody is arguing against facts here. Do you not know what colloquial means?

As mentioned above you technically can't even quote the right person.

The colloquial use of English terms incorrectly is irrelevant. If someone uses a term incorrectly, colloquial or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's an incorrect term.

And you're the one making it into a big deal by continuing to argue against a factual statement because "colloquially people say some shit"... lol

Varteras

Gold Member
Ok fair, but then why are you even wading into a discussion about something someone else said and then afterwards complaining that it's being made into a big deal?

If you didn't make the incorrect original statement, why are you trying to defend it?

Because it's the thread that I made. So I wanted to be part of the discussions. You decided to get on someone's case over using what you deem inappropriate terminology. I simply told you why they might do that. Because a lot of people do. Of all the things you could have discussed in here, you decided to be a language nazi. Clearly it's a deal to you. I think you're being ridiculous. But go on, be you.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really liked the trailer for this on the Sony showcase; it really nailed the snarky vibe of Verhoeven's Starship Troopers.

I was kinda surprised noone really talked it up, despite it being no less representative than say the Fable reveal on the Xbox show.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The prophesy draws near. They said 12 Angels would visit us by (FY) 2025 and the first one approaches. Feel its warm embrace. Jim Ryan is our profit and Live Service is our destiny.
I swear you're running a reverse psychology psyop. :pie_roffles:

In the same way Colt Eastwood and other Xbox shills wants Sony to go Day 1 on PS+ for their first party so it can damage them.

Top Bottom