• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 No enhanced patches?

tryDEATH

I really dont understand Sony in this regard why they dont just come out and show what the improvements are and what they look like. This just muddies the water when there arent definitive answer. I also dont understand why they choose to say select titles will have improved loading speed, shouldnt all PS4 titles automatically get faster loading speeds, what sort of half ass effort is this from them.

I seriously dont understand wtf Sony is doing this lead up to next generation.

bitbydeath

Ironically its explained in the OP. It's based on the code for the PS4 Pro. A game that is locked at a max resolution or frame rate will not be able to go past it without a game specific patch either from the developers or the team handling the backwards compatibility. In some cases the X has a higher resolution and frame rate cap and so will look and play better on the series X than the Playstation 5.

Yes, those ones are automatic. Some will be patched by devs too.

I really dont understand Sony in this regard why they dont just come out and show what the improvements are and what they look like. This just muddies the water when there arent definitive answer. I also dont understand why they choose to say select titles will have improved loading speed, shouldnt all PS4 titles automatically get faster loading speeds, what sort of half ass effort is this from them.

I seriously dont understand wtf Sony is doing this lead up to next generation.

They play safe as usual with their messaging

Loading improvements will be automatic

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Im disappointed too OP. I mean they still havent come out to say how bloodborne will benefit when there is people excited/desperate to know.
looks like the xbox series of consoles will remain my goto. Ps5 for exclusives.
Doesn't Bloodborne have an unlocked mode on PS4 Pro?

How disappointing.

So as it stands it looks like hardly any games will be enhanced on a per game basis. What this means in reality is that;

- Only games with dynamic resolution will be "enhanced" to reach the resolution cap (which in many cases is less than on the One X version I.e Red Dead Redemtion 2).
- Only games with uncapped or an unstable frame rate will benefit from the increased power.

I honestly find this SUPER disappointing as enhanced patches were my most hyped feature. (Just imagine Uncharted 4 at 4k 60fps!).

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.

This is why I said we should be concerned about Sony's silence regarding its backwards compatability plans last week. Some people there told us a it was all in hand and not to be worried... 😉

Update: Edited slightly to better reflect it appears only a very small handful of games will be individually enhanced.

Wait you thought every game would get a patch? Do you know how unreasonable that assumption is? Be happy we got boost mode. Boost mode will help performance even with capped FPS. Still dips here and there that can be smoothed out.

Hostile_18

Banned
Wait you thought every game would get a patch? Do you know how unreasonable that assumption is? Be happy we got boost mode. Boost mode will help performance even with capped FPS. Still dips here and there that can be smoothed out.

No not every game, not even a quarter. But I thought about 100 games patched specifically. Including most of the first party games by the backwards compatibility team within Sony with consultation from developers where necessary.

Umbral

Are you saying that when Red Dead Redemption/Fallout 3 got a 4k patch on X Box one X it didnt generate extra revenue at a low cost to produce? Here's how enhancements make money;

1: Its re-released on a digital store. New customers try it out.
2: It generates sales for the sequel (more people have played the first one).
3: it increases brand awareness (more people are playing the franchise again).
4: People are more inclined to buy a console that has enhancements to their favorite games.

The cost of developing a patch is 1-2% the cost of the games production. This was made clear when the Playstation Pro came out.

If what your saying was true movies would never be released or enhanced and we'd be watching them on a VHS player/quality.
It’s a formula. Some games can make that resource and time investment back, others can’t. I also don’t know enough about Xbox to comment on how they handle things like that. I think their backwards compatibility is different than PlayStation.

Some movies never get remastered on Blu-ray because they won’t make the money back to justify the work. Even more will not get UHD remasters for the same reasons. Same thing applies here.

Hostile_18

Banned
It’s a formula. Some games can make that resource and time investment back, others can’t. I also don’t know enough about Xbox to comment on how they handle things like that. I think their backwards compatibility is different than PlayStation.

Some movies never get remastered on Blu-ray because they won’t make the money back to justify the work. Even more will not get UHD remasters for the same reasons. Same thing applies here.

Yeah I agree on that, I've never expected niche titles to get a specific patch. On launch i hoped for the first party games and maybe the biggest third party/multiplayer games. At least I got the Witcher 3, which I love.

Umbral

Yeah I agree on that, I've never expected niche titles to get a specific patch. On launch i hoped for the first party games and maybe the biggest third party/multiplayer games. At least I got the Witcher 3, which I love.
We are barely over a month out and just now got a teardown. We’ve seen no UI. They seem to be playing everything really close to the chest. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the big games are getting PS5 patches/versions but they’re not talking yet. I may be too optimistic about it, but their behavior so far has me leaning that direction.

I‘d love to see Bloodborne in 4K/60, but I’m not expecting it. I think they sold all the copies they’re gonna sell of Bloodborne to people who would enjoy it.

Last edited:

Unknown?

If they were gonna do it, im pretty sure they would hve put it on the blog today. Leaving it up to devs basically means they probably wont mate.
It wasn't a post relating to any developer though, why would they do that on this particular post?

iHaunter

They're boosted so they will be better. I doubt every game will be patched on the XSX. It's up to the DEVS, not SONY.

Hostile_18

Banned
I see it was debunked, still glad I am going PC route, but this is great news for PS5!

Well it's still a really small handful of enhanced games.

I'm thinking the same myself. I'd miss the Sony first party and titles like Kingdom Hearts, Crash Team Racing etc. Wish it was just simple been debating between the three for months.

Last edited:

geordiemp

This is nothing to be excited about. You missed the most important bit of info in that tweet. UP TO 60fps. WOW so the PS5 will not hold solid 60fps for this game, If they are saying up to 60fps lol.

DF said seliro 1800p50 with the XSX ? There was not even much going on in that frame.....

I expect Ps5 will run boost games for ps4 at a more stable 60.

Dont throw performance card until you look at what we have been shown so far.

xG2EMZZ.png

Hitman 3 was not much better

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Not bothered - I don't plan to play a single PS4 game on my PS5 except TLOU2, and I'm sure that'll have a 60FPS mode.

I always buy new hardware to play new games; not old games.

TeKtheSanE

I'm thinking the same myself. I'd miss the Sony first party and titles like Kingdom Hearts, Crash Team Racing etc. Wish it was just simple been debating between the three for months.
I've been debating as well but I guess for me Sony's first party games during the PS4 generation other than Ghosts of Tsushima and God of War have been hard misses for me and the majority of their 'exclusives' that I am interested in are going to be on PC. I can always play the exclusives if they are worth my time when I get a PS5 later down the line.

What Kingdom Hearts game are you referring to? The music one?

And was there a new Crash Racing game announced? I have that on Switch.

Last edited:

How many games are we talking here?

Hostile_18

Banned
I've been debating as well but I guess for me Sony's first party games during the PS4 generation other than Ghosts of Tsushima and God of War have been hard misses for me and the majority of their 'exclusives' that I am interested in are going to be on PC. I can always play the exclusives if they are worth my time when I get a PS5 later down the line.

What Kingdom Hearts game are you referring to? The music one?

And was there a new Crash Racing game announced? I have that on Switch.

I've loved the Sony first party input but not liked the corporate side the last two years.

I was just referring to if I sold my PS Pro. I suppose I could keep it to play those series! If I went PC I'd love to play through the Resident Evils and Silent Hills in 4k. Also the best place to play Cyberpunk. Got some PS2 games I'd love to emulate as well.

Think I'll sleep on it tonight and then see. It will likely be PS5 AND XBSX or PC for me.

TeKtheSanE

I've loved the Sony first party input but not liked the corporate side the last two years.

I was just referring to if I sold my PS Pro. I suppose I could keep it to play those series! If I went PC I'd love to play through the Resident Evils and Silent Hills in 4k. Also the best place to play Cyberpunk. Got some PS2 games I'd love to emulate as well.

Think I'll sleep on it tonight and then see. It will likely be PS5 AND XBSX or PC for me.
Yeah best thing to do is get some ZZZs.

Whatever you choose you'll be happy I'm sure. (y)

Not bothered - I don't plan to play a single PS4 game on my PS5 except TLOU2, and I'm sure that'll have a 60FPS mode.

I always buy new hardware to play new games; not old games.
Sure you didn't play BOTW at 4k at 60-100 fps. It's beyond amazing.
This is like best thing on PC. You can upgrade hardware and immediately run games at better graphics and frame-rate. This should be a NORM.

It's pretty clear that they never had any intention of providing BC until MS unleased the beast. I wouldn't expect much of anything beyond base compatibility.

Riky

$MSFT
Has it been confirmed what games actually run in Boost Mode yet? Even if they do they will still run at lower resolutions that were dictated by the Pro patches.
If they don't run in Boost Mode they will just run like a PS4 Pro or even a PS4 if game didn't have a pro patch. If these legacy modes are a match for original hardware then we could see no upgrades at all.

So not really like Series X which also runs some 360 and Xbox games on top.

It's pretty clear that they never had any intention of providing BC until MS unleased the beast. I wouldn't expect much of anything beyond base compatibility.
That does not make sense. You cannot just decide to provide BC without factoring it into your console design. You think they saw MS demonstrate BC and then quickly added it to the PS5?

That does not make sense. You cannot just decide to provide BC without factoring it into your console design. You think they saw MS demonstrate BC and then quickly added it to the PS5?

I really do think that's what they did, yeah. I think they wanted to "remaster" PS4 games and sell them this gen.

I really do think that's what they did, yeah. I think they wanted to "remaster" PS4 games and sell them this gen.
Well, you’d be silly to think that. I mean you really think it’s a last minute decision. You’d think someone posting on a gaming forum would know better. Especially when they want people locked to their ecosystem.

Hostile_18

Banned
So, you’re talking about remaster patches?

Boost mode = brute force improvements but is limited to the original code of the Pro version in terms of limits. No dev resources. Bloodborne.

Enhanced Patch = Game specific either done by the devs or the Sony BC team that raises the output resolution or FPS and in good cases draw distance/texture quality etc. Small amount of dev resources. Marvel Avengers.

Remaster = Enhanced substantially or previously not available. Usually paid for. Moderate dev resources. Spider-Man: Remastered.

Remake = Completely re-imagined from the ground up. Paid for. High dev resources. Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Last edited:
Boost mode = brute force improvements but is limited to the original code of the Pro version in terms of limits. No dev resources.

Enhanced Patch = Game specific either done by the devs or the Sony BC team that raises the output resolution or FPS and in good cases draw distance/texture quality etc. Small amount of dev resources.

Remaster = Enhanced substantially or previously not available. Usually paid for. Moderate dev resources

Remake = Completely re-imagined from the ground up. Paid for. High dev resources.
So, which one is it that you want?

Also, you say small amount of dev resources for enhanced patch but you don’t know that.

Hostile_18

Banned
So, which one is it that you want?

Also, you say small amount of dev resources for enhanced patch but you don’t know that.

Game specific enhanced patches for the tent pole releases (especially first party).

Mark Cerny does and be stated its 1-2% of a games over all development cost during the Playstation Pro release.

Hostile_18

Banned
That’s for the PS4 Pro which is still a PS4.

Why would it be much different? PC releases have to accommodate thousands of different combinations. You may be right but I've heard no developers attest to that yet. PS2 emulation on PC is vastly different hardware and they all output at 4k resolution just fine.

Why would it be much different? PC releases have to accommodate thousands of different combinations. You may be right but I've heard no developers attest to that yet. PS2 emulation on PC is vastly different hardware and they all output at 4k resolution just fine.
Wait, so now you’re talking about how PC plays older games. PCs work the same as boost mode where no developer intervention is required.

PS2 emulation is not magic on PC. Most games don’t run without hiccups. And that’s despite having a community working on it for more than a decade.

Hostile_18

Banned
Wait, so now you’re talking about how PC plays older games. PCs work the same as boost mode where no developer intervention is required.

PS2 emulation is not magic on PC. Most games don’t run without hiccups. And that’s despite having a community working on it for more than a decade.

That's because PC games arnt hard capped in terms or resolution or FPS hence why the patch is needed. Its minimal work for most games, especially for the revenue/good will it would likely bring in.

Yes a PS2 community working on it in their spare time without access to developers or source code. Without the financial motivation of selling a console/games. They have done an amazing job, so what's Sony's excuse. The only differing factor is one group lacks passion, the other does not.

AeneaGames

The Xbox team has a whole backwards compatibility team that are patching 4K Xbox one games with out the developers

Can you list the 3rd party games that this team has patched?

Also, there's something I am wondering:
Are they even allowed to tamper with the code of someone else's game? Normally that's explicitly forbidden. Tho of course this is MS not sure they are exempt of this.

Gamerguy84

Sony moves forward. The other one has limited offerings so they make BC better.

Do you have a preorder you would like to sell?

Top Bottom