• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 No enhanced patches?

This is still confusing me. Some say the PS5 has nativ/hardware support for PS4 games, other say it's emulation.

If I were to put a PS4 disc into the PS5, will it play instantly or will it be installed from disc or will the game be completely downloaded from PSN before I can play. Which is it?

Why are people getting so confused about this?

It is pretty easy to understand the simple case you are getting confused by.

If you put a PS4 game into a PS5, assuming isnt one of the handful that won't work, it will install to the system in exactly the same way as it does on the PS4 right now (PS4 games do not run from the disc, even on PS4 hardware).

In addition:

If it is a game like FIFA 21 that is offering next gen upgrades then whilst doing the above you'll be given the option to upgrade to the PS5 version. This version will be downloaded from PSN. You will still need the PS4 disc in the drive to play it though as proof of ownership. That caveat is the same for Xbox too. You'll be running the PS5 version of the game though, no BC involved.

If its a game that makes use of the PS5 boost mode, if you have that enabled in the system settings then the game will use it. Different games will use this mode in different ways depending on if they have unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolutions etc.

Some games may get a title update to change features to utilise the boost mode (e.g. adding in a 4k mode or unlocking the framerate) or to add new features, like we saw with the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Skifi28

This is still confusing me. Some say the PS5 has nativ/hardware support for PS4 games, other say it's emulation.

If I were to put a PS4 disc into the PS5, will it play instantly or will it be installed from disc or will the game be completely downloaded from PSN before I can play. Which is it?

It's not emulation, it's hardware BC. It works exactly as it does on the PS4, the disk installs to the hard drive and you play.

Self

Why are people getting so confused about this?

It is pretty damn simple.

If you put a PS4 game into a PS5, assuming isnt one of the handful that won't work, it will install to the system in exactly the same way as it does on the PS4 right now (PS4 games do not run from the disc, even on PS4 hardware).

Hold on a minute. PS4 games do run from disc. It doesn't matter if game data gets installed - the disc is spinning and provides actual data.

Hence my question. Will I need to download the whole game like on Xbox? Or can I play my games without downloading massive data?

It's not emulation, it's hardware BC. It works exactly as it does on the PS4, the disk installs to the hard drive and you play.

But that's what I said yesterday and was immediately corrected.
So PS5 supports nativ/hardware BC!

That's really important for guys like me who have a shitty internet connection.

Here is that Sony has to say:
Playing PS4 game discs on a PS5 console with a disc drive
  1. Insert the PS4 game disc. You may need to download an update.
  2. Select the game hub from your Games home.
  3. You will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Will I need to download the whole game like on Xbox? Or can I play my games without downloading massive data?

No, you won't need to download the entire PS4 game again, it will just run. As you also say, there may be an update patch to fix or add something.

It will also be the same on Xbox. Yes, you'll still have to download the emulation wrapper for 360 games but Xbox One games should just run natively as they do now.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes, you WILL need to download the entire game - but often you'll be able to start playing while the OS is downloading the full game in the background. But in each and every case the ENTIRE game has to be downloaded, otherwise it's impossible to apply a game update.

If you really don't want to download the same game more than once, buy an external drive. See https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS4-External-HDD-Support?language=en_US

Last edited:
Hold on a minute. PS4 games do run from disc. It doesn't matter if game data gets installed - the disc is spinning and provides actual data.

Hence my question. Will I need to download the whole game like on Xbox? Or can I play my games without downloading massive data?

Once the game has installed the data to the HDD it does not use the disk for reading any data :messenger_neutral: The part you bolded about possibly having to download a patch is how it would work if you put the game in a PS4 as well and it needed a patch, or it could have a PS5 boost patch. If you play games on PS4 without patching them, you can do the same on PS5 as it goes for hardware BC as opposed to a game by game basis.

PS5 BC is really easy to understand. It's pretty much the same as using a PS4/Pro

Pretty sure every single PS4 game does install from disc to console.

Either way what has Sony said that makes you think you'll have to download the entire game from PSN for backwards compatibility?

Yes, you WILL need to download the entire game - but often you'll be able to start playing while the OS is downloading the full game in the background. But in each and every case the ENTIRE game has to be downloaded, otherwise it's impossible to apply a game update.

What are you on about? If you have a PS4 disc, why on earth would you have to download the entrie game from PSN? You are just talking rubbish there!

What you say is the case for games that offer free upgrade to the PS5 version, but that is very different to backwards compatibility. And obviously it is also the case for PS4 digital versions that you are downloading from PSN, but thay much is pretty obvious isnt it?

Last edited:

If you really don't want to download the same game more than once, buy an external drive. See https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS4-External-HDD-Support?language=en_US

Isn't that just Xbox though? At least that's how BC works on my One X.

Last edited:

Muselbert

PS4 games don't run from bluray disk. The only reason you hear the disc drive spinning up in the beginning when you launch a game is the license check. After that is completed, the drive is never used at all...

Last edited:

Self

Ok, thanks for clarification guys.

So PS5 will play PS4 games directly like on PS4. No need to patch it if I don't want a patch. That's native support for me.

I was running into the issue of downloading whole games through my shitty internet connection on Xbox One. Hence the need to make this point clear.

Shane89

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.
Thanks god.

This is one of the most stupid comment i ever read in my life.

You are buying a PS5, not PS4 PRO. It's a new console. Backward compatibility is a PLUS. It's not a Sony issue if games cannot reach a certain res or fps due to HOW THEY WERE DEVELOPED.Jesus.

Last edited:
So PS5 will play PS4 games directly like on PS4. No need to patch it if I don't want a patch. That's native support for me.

There might be some games that won't work unless they receive a patch. Like some of the titles on the list that they gave us. But overall you shouldn't need an internet connection for BC.

Hostile_18

Banned
Thanks god.

This is one of the most stupid comment i ever read in my life.

You are buying a PS5, not PS4 PRO. It's a new console. Backward compatibility is a PLUS. It's not a Sony issue if games cannot reach a certain res or fps due to HOW THEY WERE DEVELOPED.Jesus.

You can't do much reading then 🤔

No one is saying it cant be done, just that it's not been done. Look at Gears 5 for an example of it been done well.

GustavoLT

Miles Morales Ultimate - With spiderman remaster
Horizon Forbiden West Ultimate - With horizon remaster
God of War Ragnarok Ultimate - With god of war remaster

I can also see:

Uncharted Ultimate Collection - All 5 games 4K 60fps
The Last of Us Collection - both games 4k 60fps

Sony beeing Sony!

Last edited:

ManaByte

No PS4 game runs from the disc. That's why you have to wait for it to install and they take up so much space on the HDD. The disc is just the copy protection check.

I would guess a lot of people are in the same boat of wanting a ps5 to enhance their huge backlog of games. Way more than would be reflected on this forum full of hardcore nerds. Most popular games will at least get a basic 60fps 4k patch. Its not hard to do, and is an easy way for a company to get free press, goodwill, and a quick sales boost. I wouldn't worry about them all coming out on day 1. Just play the games that are patched first, and more of your backlog will be patched before you finish those.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Pretty sure every single PS4 game does install from disc to console.

Either way what has Sony said that makes you think you'll have to download the entire game from PSN for backwards compatibility?

What are you on about? If you have a PS4 disc, why on earth would you have to download the entrie game from PSN? You are just talking rubbish there!

What you say is the case for games that offer free upgrade to the PS5 version, but that is very different to backwards compatibility. And obviously it is also the case for PS4 digital versions that you are downloading from PSN, but thay much is pretty obvious isnt it?

You're right. I was talking about the PS5 version. If you put in the the PS4 version it will install the entire game from disc, but it will download only the patches.

Miles Morales Ultimate - With spiderman remaster
Horizon Forbiden West Ultimate - With horizon remaster
God of War Ragnarok Ultimate - With god of war remaster

I can also see:

Uncharted Ultimate Collection - All 5 games 4K 60fps
The Last of Us Collection - both games 4k 60fps

Sony beeing Sony!

Actually Horizon Forbidden West comes with a free PS5 update if you buy the PS4 version. Same with Sack Boys Adventure.

Edit: Nevermind you were talking about a remaster of Horizon Zero Dawn being included with Horizon Forbidden West. My mistake.

Honestly Sony could just release a free update for the first game on the PS5 just like they are doing with Ghosts of Tsushima. But we will have to wait and see if it happens.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Nah that's a rather bold assumption only meant to put the PS5 in a bad light. Look at Ghost of Tsushima, got an fps bump free of charge and there's quite a list of games that have free upgrades. Is there a list already for the XSX? I don't remember seeing one yet but I'm not on top of that tbh
Gears 5, gears of war ultimate edition,gears tactics, forza horizon 4 Microsoft has already said any cross generation game will get a free upgrade also

Three

Resolution, draw distance, more detailed shadows, better anti-aliasing, you know, higher settings.
Those would be good but I mean where are you getting those things?

You might get them if devs went back and patched games but that's not happening really. All you are seeing is higher framerates in unlocked games or res in dynamic res games. I can count enhancements like that to PS4/Xbox One games on one hand. gears 5 and spiderman and spiderman ain't even free.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Those would be good but I mean where are you getting those things?

You might get them if devs went back and patched games but that's not happening really. All you are seeing is higher framerates in unlocked games or res in dynamic res games. I can count enhancements like that to PS4/Xbox One games on one hand. gears 5 and spiderman and spiderman ain't even free.

The thing about Ghost specifically is that they are still actively working on the game. We just got a substantive patch this week. I’m not talking about this with regards to a long finished game like Uncharted 4. This is why we are getting Spider-Man, because they put in all this work for MM and could move it to the original game. Gears 5 is GAAS shit and already runs on higher end hardware with better than Xbox One settings so why not.

So yes it would have been nice to get more than an unlocked frame rate for GoT.

Last edited:
No idea what he is on about, ps5 will play ps4 games same as XSX will play Xb1 games at resolution and frame rate set by the developer unless they pach it for both systems.

Ps5 does not play 360 or ps3 games, so no idea what you mean.
Neither Series X does. OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games on Xbox One and Xbox Series XS are actually ports, not native code running on those machines.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Another reason why I’m hanging off on my usual midnight pickup, I switched from Xbax360 to PS4 due to Sony pretty much hammering MS last gen when it came to the reveal/buildup/launch and now were seeing Xbax give Sony a hammering and doing everything pretty much right and by fuck that gamepass is such a steal considering Sony are looking near £70 a game!? Anyways ive got a shitload still to play on my Pro so im good till the newyear as theres nothing really floating my boat but what I will be keeping an eye on is the proper next gen version of Cyberpunk and how it plays on both consoles AND if Sony gets there act together. If the differences in Cyberpunk turn out to be minimal and Sony get their act together ill buy a PS5 but if it turns out the MS box has a big lead on multiplats and keeps giving us gamers the goodies then I’ll be switching back

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dont know, seems pretty early to be throwing your hands up in despair. the console comes out in about a month. we will know for sure then. everyone saying "no Bloodborne at 4K" are basing this on guesses as this point.

no idea why people expect every PS4 game to have a patch ready the day the console launches.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah a little update. I was waiting for backwards compatibility improvement news and hence my disappointment when it was unveiled.

Anyways this made me choose to get both next gen consoles this time around (as opposed to going 360>Ps4 last gen). Gives me a few more options to vote with my wallet when Sony does things I don't like while still been able to play their exclusives. I got 3 years of Gamepass ultimate for £120 so I'm sorted. Only Sony loses by me buying less third party games on their system from now on. Hopefully people who are likewise disappointed in Sony (but not their games) the last few years do similar. Outside their game division they have become far too complacent. I miss the hungry Playstation at the end of the PS3 generation.

How disappointing.

So as it stands it looks like hardly any games will be enhanced on a per game basis. What this means in reality is that;

- Only games with dynamic resolution will be "enhanced" to reach the resolution cap (which in many cases is less than on the One X version I.e Red Dead Redemtion 2).
- Only games with uncapped or an unstable frame rate will benefit from the increased power.

I honestly find this SUPER disappointing as enhanced patches were my most hyped feature. (Just imagine Uncharted 4 at 4k 60fps!).

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.

This is why I said we should be concerned about Sony's silence regarding its backwards compatability plans last week. Some people there told us it was all in hand and not to be worried... 😉

Update: Edited slightly to better reflect it appears only a very small handful of games will be individually enhanced.
Yeah it seems to be the same case with XSX. You already made your choice though as if you didn't preorder then you won't have a PS5 anytime soon.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah it seems to be the same case with XSX. You already made your choice though as if you didn't preorder then you won't have a PS5 anytime soon.

Yeah I preordered both with the intention of keeping both or just one. Decided to keep both and got the Gamepass deal. Feels alot better to instead of just been frustrated with Sony been able to go to the competition, and vice versa. Generally speaking I'll play the game where it plays best. If it's very similar then probably xbox with it's more consumer friendly practices (such as store refunds etc).

Yeah I preordered both with the intention of keeping both or just one. Decided to keep both and got the Gamepass deal. Feels alot better to instead of just been frustrated with Sony been able to go to the competition, and vice versa. Generally speaking I'll play the game where it plays best. If it's very similar then probably xbox with it's more consumer friendly practices (such as store refunds etc).
Omg I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying to get a XSX also with my PS5 for the same reasons. I'm not doing this war shit. If you have both, you can't be played.

Pedro Motta

Insomniac states Ghost of Tsushima will run at 60 on PS5 boost. Do we know if it’s being patched or if boost mode can overcome 30fps locks automatically?

Sony stated that every game released since July would need to support the PS5, this option was probably already baked into the game since launch.

Hostile_18

Banned
Now this is the kind of statement and passion I was looking for from Sony last week.

Sure you can say "but its about new games" and that's a big factor but there's no reason Sony shouldn't be fighting on all fronts, especially with its portfolio and gaming heritage.

All PS4 games run off the HDD. The disc is just for a copy protection check. So when you put your PS4 game into your PS5 it'll still need to install to the drive.

But the data is coming from the disk right? So the disk is also used to store the data which the PS5 copies into it's SSD.

With the Xbox One X I believe the data comes from the internet instead of the disk. Not sure if the Xbox Series X does the same thing as that. Mind you I'm just talking about BCs.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How disappointing.

Yes, having full and enhanced HW emulation BC of 4,000 games after the PS4 had 0, major disappointment. The whole idea for BC is to ease the transition of the generation and they did it flawlessly.

Justin9mm

LMAO. OP if you only waited 13 minutes to post this.

Ghost will have a 60 fps mode with Boost mode. no patch required.

Cerny am god.

Reading the wording on the Twitter post it states playing on PS5 with boost mode you will see an option to allow frame rates up to 60fps. It makes me think at a cost of what? I'm guessing it won't output the same resolution as the Pro running 30fps. So its not that great imo.

It's one thing to have a PS4 game run through PS5 Boost mode at 60fps on lower resolution, I'm pretty sure that's easy to achieve but another to have same or higher resolution at 60fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom