• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 DualSense In Depth Teardown

Dnice123

The plastic gears isn't too surprising. My guess it will last long enough to get out of the warranty period for Sony before any wear issues pop up. I just wonder how much support this feature will receive from 3rd party devs since it can be disabled by the user. Can a developer make "jamming the trigger" a significant element of their game if some users can just disable it.

Keihart

Not the best teardown that I've seen but certainly better than Linus.
They don't have a video about it yet...

iu

Keihart

The whole trigger mechanism despite being more complex it's looking waaaay sturdier than the one in the DS4.
Also, there are two clear failures points if you break it, if you break the new part of it it looks like it would continue to function.

Last edited:
This is the inside of the adaptive trigger.....this looks like it could snap very easy

when you have plastic on plastic gear type assembly's in rc cars like this you quite often get teeth snapping off the gear wheels...and this is based on a motor
when you introduce the human element it gets even worse...if you happen to press hard at full lock or happen to accidently drop the control on the trigger i would hazard a guess this thing will snap pretty easy
8sIfJPw.png

Last edited:
This is the inside of the adaptive trigger.....this looks like it could snap very easy

when you have plastic on plastic gear type assembly's in rc cars like this you quite often get teeth snapping off the gear wheels...and this is based on a motor
when you introduce the human element it gets even worse...if you happen to press hard at full lock or happen to accidently drop the control on the trigger i would hazard a guess this thing will snap pretty easy
8sIfJPw.png

We will see if everyone's DualSense breaks shortly after launch.

Andodalf

Banned

8sIfJPw.png

I'm sure they've tested it well to make them as durable as they can, but yeah it being in a locked state when dropped is pretty much a nightmare scenario. There must be a limit on the most resistance it can have to accommodate for this

LordOfChaos

Very clever controller. I'm a bit concerned that the teeth for the variable trigger pulls are plastic on both sides though, I hope they got the long term durability down pretty well.

I had the same thought as him when I saw it - if it can lock out the mechanism entirely and you just get frustrated and keep pulling it, you might deform or break a tooth. Hope they thought of all this and that isn't the case, of course.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice that there were no visible screws until he mentioned it. Now that he's brought it to my attention I'm like "huh, that looks like quality. Very nice!"

However, I'm not very confident in the durability of the force feedback (yes, I call it FFB, because that's what it is) mechanism. I share captainraincoat captainraincoat 's sentiment.
I can see this becoming an issue over the next 1-2 years before we get a revision of the gamepad with a sturdier system. I hope I'm wrong.

I didn't even notice that there were no visible screws until he mentioned it. Now that he's brought it to my attention I'm like "huh, that looks like quality. Very nice!"

However, I'm not very confident in the durability of the force feedback (yes, I call it FFB, because that's what it is) mechanism. I share captainraincoat captainraincoat 's sentiment.
I can see this becoming an issue over the next 1-2 years before we get a revision of the gamepad with a sturdier system. I hope I'm wrong.
as long as it does not completely stuff the controller if there is a problem with the adaptive trigger as i suspect most people are going to turn the function off...particular fast pace shooters

jaysius

Banned

8sIfJPw.png

Yup, I said the exact same thing a day ago , Battle Beaver or whatever did an excellent teardown already(I also posted a link in the REVOLUTION Dual Sense OT thread), didn’t think this warranted it’s own thread lol.

People will fight the forced feedback in frustration, we’ll see how well this copes with that force.

Ultimately the simpler a mechanism which is repeatedly used is, the longer the life span, teeth break, motors wear out, friction rears it’s ugly head in weird ways, hell dust(food or otherwise) can wreak havoc sometimes in tiny gears, liquids can gum things up too... these aren’t new ideas, this stuff happens.

Only time will tell if all of this was worth their effort, and the additional cost offloaded to the consumer.

I can seriously see paranoid people cracking these open to fuck up those microphones.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno about the trigger assembly being a potential issue. The motor is the only thing creating resistance, and that's a measurable amount of force. The amount of force transmitted through the trigger is kinda irrelevant because if its possible to transmit a sufficient amount to overcome the resistance, it should just push down and through.

What I'm getting at is the maximum amount of pressure the gear assembly can ever face should be predictable, hence if the relative strength of the plastic is up to handling that force, it should be pretty durable. In simple terms the motor is what is actually absorbing the force of the trigger press, the gearing is just used to transmit force against it counter-rotationally.

Top Bottom