• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense V2 by Best Buy Canada - 12-hour battery life

Leaked by Best Buy Canada
xd825zd.jpg

Source: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/playstation-5-v2-dualsense-wireless-controller-white/17668451

It appears that this new model has been available since last December

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That Is Awesome Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

It has the same part number as the U.S. Best Buy regular Dualsense. Guess this is just the new standard PS5 controller.

Last edited:

Aenima

I think this is some sort of error. My launch DualSense went from 12 to 14 hours the first few months. I think that's the standard. Obviously it doesn't last.
This.

My launch Dualsense lasted around 12 to 14 hours already, after 3 years they still hold between 8 to 10 hours. I have the light set to dim and the other feautures (haptics and triggers) set to weak.

Kupfer

Not that I need better batteries yet, but are there good aftermarket batteries with a higher capacity than Sonys' original ones for the DualSense yet?

I have replaced the batteries of my DualShock 4 controllers a while ago with higher capacity ones and that worked out great.

Kilau

Can the batteries not be replaced in the original version? I've never had any issues with battery life, but I also don't do marathon gaming sessions.

Power Pro

JFC, $90 for a fucking controller. This is why I haven't bought a second controller for any system in a long long time. You can''t even rely on these to not get drift, and they charge that much for them.

Just give us swappable AAs already. Rip that bandaid and make people realize buying high quality eneloops online is far better than dealing with shitty built in rechargeables that only last a fraction of a day.

S0ULZB0URNE

I should just buy batteries but it's like I'm never not building or taking apart or fixing something and it's getting old lately. :/

I like a built in batt but ffs try to put a little panel so I can get to it easier.
To install the battery is a bit cumbersome.
Maybe they could include a kit?

Crayon

To install the battery is a bit cumbersome.
Maybe they could include a kit?

No, I think it should actually be screwed down with some of those little specialty screws that you need special bits for. That's a fair warning that anyone getting in there is on their own, but doesn't make me pry the whole controller apart with little spring shooting off to the corner of the room lol. That would be a minimal concession on their part so they don't have to go engineering shit to be all foolproof. I try to design stuff to be foolproof and the ways people will figure out how to still fuck things up is just insane.

Making it truly easy to change and get replacements would be great but I'd be happy with what I described.

Roxkis_ii

Not that I need better batteries yet, but are there good aftermarket batteries with a higher capacity than Sonys' original ones for the DualSense yet?

I have replaced the batteries of my DualShock 4 controllers a while ago with higher capacity ones and that worked out great.

I'm thinking about trying out the battery from this thread:

Skifi28

I should just buy batteries but it's like I'm never not building or taking apart or fixing something and it's getting old lately. :/

I like a built in batt but ffs try to put a little panel so I can get to it easier.
It's getting annoying for sure, I've opened up the same controller to fix drift 3 times already. My repair skills are pretty good, but I'd rather not have to deal with it. Not to mention the dualsense is really annoying to take apart, much worse than a ds4. In the end I said fuck it and bought an edge with several replacement sticks. Also using it plugged it so I don't have to deal with the tiny battery.

Aenima

Can the batteries not be replaced in the original version? I've never had any issues with battery life, but I also don't do marathon gaming sessions.
They can. Just need to remove the bottom shell and the battery is right there. Anyone trying this should watch a youtube video cuz thers 2 screws hidden behind the L1 and R1 buttons.

Congratulations, it now lasts a third of what a pair of AA Enerloops run an Xbox pad, or a Nintendo Pro controller does.

Improvement

Yeah, unfortunately people hate AA batteries, they think they are old or something. I will never understand people's obsession with internal batteries when it's so much easier to just throw a recharged AA pair when the current pair runs out.

Quantum253

Yeah, unfortunately people hate AA batteries, they think they are old or something. I will never understand people's obsession with internal batteries when it's so much easier to just throw a recharged AA pair when the current pair runs out.
Are Eneloops still the primeier rechargeable batteries? I remember having those for the 360 controller and Panasonic made an awesome battery

Topher

Gold Member
And only two paddles.

Which is two more than I had before and all I ever use on any of my controllers. Also adjustable triggers so I can get rid of that mushy feel. That was worth it for me. Not saying it is the best controller on the market by any stretch. All I'm saying is that if Sony had their sights on a 12 hour battery then the Edge was the controller that should have gotten them.

Which is two more than I had before and all I ever use on any of my controllers. Also adjustable triggers so I can get rid of that mushy feel. That was worth it for me. Not saying it is the best controller on the market by any stretch. All I'm saying is that if Sony had their sights on a 12 hour battery then the Edge was the controller that should have gotten them.

I agree with you there. I really wanted the Edge to be THE controller for the PS5, and if it had other improvements I would have gladly paid, but $200 is way too much for that sorry excuse for a pro controller.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree with you there. I really wanted the Edge to be THE controller for the PS5, and if it had other improvements I would have gladly paid, but $200 is way too much for that sorry excuse for a pro controller.

It is a damn good controller, but yes definitely overpriced.

Crayon

It's getting annoying for sure, I've opened up the same controller to fix drift 3 times already. My repair skills are pretty good, but I'd rather not have to deal with it. Not to mention the dualsense is really annoying to take apart, much worse than a ds4. In the end I said fuck it and bought an edge with several replacement sticks. Also using it plugged it so I don't have to deal with the tiny battery.

It's WORSE than the ds4?!?!!? Ds4 isn't completely terrible inside but prying the shell apart is so sketchy.

//DEVIL//

Or... Rubber ... Or any trigger stopper from Amazon for like 5$ man lol

Didn't they even reduce the battery life on these shitty controllers ?

It's bad enough it's shiny and gets scratched by looking at it. But nope we gotta make it worse with less battery and the ability to have a drift after 3 games

Last edited:

Kupfer

I'm thinking about trying out the battery from this thread:

Thanks, but not gonna visit amazon nor buy stuff there - fuck'em and fuck Jeff in particular.
But maybe I'll have a look in some other shops.
Need new batteries for my PSPs, DSs, Advance SPs Dualshock3s and Vitas as well, that's gonna be expensive...

Mr.Phoenix

How in the hell is that battery not in the $200 DualSense Edge controller I bought?

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation
I swear these are my thoughts exactly.

What will really leave people scratching their heads is that the DS controller probably costs less than $40 to make. And sold for $70. If they spent $5 more on the battery they use in it, the thing could have almost 3-4x the battery life. Go figure.

My tin foil hat theory is that they do it on purpose so people are more inclined to buy more than one controller. "just get a second controller so you can continue gaming while charging the first one" :messenger_angry:

Godot25

Banned
Fucking finally. Battery life on DualSense is currently pathetic. I had to disable Adaptive Triggers (not that I miss them), lower intensity of Haptic Feedback and turned off speaker to get it beyond two gaming sessions.

Top Bottom