• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense V2 by Best Buy Canada - 12-hour battery life

iHaunter

This.

My launch Dualsense lasted around 12 to 14 hours already, after 3 years they still hold between 8 to 10 hours. I have the light set to dim and the other feautures (haptics and triggers) set to weak.
Who plays 12 hours in one session anyway? Even on the weekend, that's a bit extreme. Not specifically directed at you, just in general.

Topher

Gold Member
And? Anyone can type anything in an item description.

Here is a listing for a "V2" with photos from 2021, giving the weight as 50 grams less than an actual PS5 controller.

Fair enough on the V2 in the title, but no, not "anyone" can type "anything" in the product description on the best buy page. That's a rather detailed "error" to be included in the product description. I supposed it could happen but it is just bizarre.

King Dazzar

Which is two more than I had before and all I ever use on any of my controllers. Also adjustable triggers so I can get rid of that mushy feel. That was worth it for me. Not saying it is the best controller on the market by any stretch. All I'm saying is that if Sony had their sights on a 12 hour battery then the Edge was the controller that should have gotten them.
I solved the battery issue by buying two of them lol and having them on a dock in rotation. It may only have two paddles, but those two paddles are superbly done. Is the controller perfect? No. But I prefer the Edge over any of the many pro controllers I've owned. I was genuinely surprised how much I love it. I deferred buying one for ages due to how it reads on paper...

I think HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 bought 4 of them iirc, so my two feels normal. 😁

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It lasts around 6-8hours now. It's really variable.
more on the low end.... maybe 8 is a bit generous.
So good they are updating that

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I solved the battery issue by buying two of them lol and having them on a dock in rotation. It may only have two paddles, but those two paddles are superbly done. Is the controller perfect? No. But I prefer the Edge over any of the many pro controllers I've owned. I was genuinely surprised how much I love it. I deferred buying one for ages due to how it reads on paper...

I think HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 bought 4 of them iirc, so my two feels normal. 😁
Reaction GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Homie go watch a DS Edge teardown video and come back and tell me how they gonna fit a bigger battery in there.

Elite Series 2 has a battery twice the maH of that of the DualSense and no, it isn't twice the size.

Elite Series 2 vs DualSense Edge

63fvOYc.png
z2PNExy.png

So I don't get why you insist this is a size issue. Cleary it is not

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Elite Series 2 has a battery twice the WHr of that of the DualSense and no, it isn't twice the size.

63fvOYc.png
z2PNExy.png

It is thicker though, I can't find a full profile shot of Edge's battery but it seems thinner, PSX memory card width, while the one in Series is a mini-brick

Edge battery vs regular DS battery:

FneBnHkaIAAVHWu

-

Series V2 Battery:

$_12.JPG

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It is thicker though, I can't find a full profile shot of Edge's battery but it seems thinner, PSX memory card width, while the one in Series is a mini-brick

Edge battery vs regular DS battery:

FneBnHkaIAAVHWu

-

Series V2 Battery:

$_12.JPG

That is not double the dimensions regardless. That's my point. The physical size of the battery does not determine its full capacity. There are replacement batteries available for the DualSense that has much higher capacity and yet still fits. The same principle applies to DualSense Edge and every other controller.

4000 mah battery replacement for DualSense's 1500 mah battery:

610XDxWyKyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Elite Series 2 has a battery twice the maH of that of the DualSense and no, it isn't twice the size.

63fvOYc.png
z2PNExy.png

Dude you said why Sony dont put the DS V2 battery in the Edge. I said because it dont fit. Dont show me some shit about the damn elite series battery.

Show me how a regular DS battery gonna fit in the Edge.

And posting pics of dodgy chinesium batteries dont mean shit either. Like sony would ever use one those LMAO

Topher

Gold Member
Dude you said why Sony dont put the DS V2 battery in the Edge. I said because it dont fit. Dont show me some shit about the damn elite series battery.

Show me how a regular DS battery gonna fit in the Edge.

And posting pics of dodgy chinesium batteries dont mean shit either. Like sony would ever use one those LMAO

Good grief. My point was if they were going to upgrade the battery then the Edge being $200 should have been the one to get the damn upgrade. That's all.

I suggest we let this go.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I got 2 controllers just to swap back and forth but I'm actually impressed Sony is finally taking battery life serious. My only real complaint with the duelsense.

Unknown?

This.

My launch Dualsense lasted around 12 to 14 hours already, after 3 years they still hold between 8 to 10 hours. I have the light set to dim and the other feautures (haptics and triggers) set to weak.
Uhhh wtf?! Did you have haptics, mic, speaker, and triggers off? The battery life was more like 4-6 hours on the original. Maybe this will finally get back to Dualshock 3 levels.

Aenima

Uhhh wtf?! Did you have haptics, mic, speaker, and triggers off? The battery life was more like 4-6 hours on the original. Maybe this will finally get back to Dualshock 3 levels.
Nop, haptics and triggers on. Mic i always have it off, and almost no games uses the speakers. If ur controller only lasted 4 to 6 hours in a full charge it was either faulty or not actually fully charged. The game that drained my DS controller battery faster was Astro Playroom, it drained the battery in 6h cuz it makes heavy use of all the controller feautures. So the battery life depends alot of what games you play and how much they use the controller feautures. Also depends on ur controller settings.

I have the haptics and triggers set to weak, mic off, and the controller light set to dim. After 3 years the controller still lasts on average 8h playing games that use the haptics and triggers occasionally.

I have a charging station, so every time i start playing, the controller is fully charged. I do alot of 6-8h gaming sessions when i play RPGs, and never need to replace the controller. But i can see if its almost drained or not. Usually when i get a low battery message, the controller still lasts 1-2h.

StereoVsn

JFC, $90 for a fucking controller. This is why I haven't bought a second controller for any system in a long long time. You can''t even rely on these to not get drift, and they charge that much for them.
They have had sales at numerous intervals. I have 4 controllers (1 used for PC and 1 for iOS stuff), and I paid like $40 for each. US of course, so add another 30% to CA prices.

Kindela

Banned
Have no idea how long the battery lasts since I charge mine the moment it's not in my hands. Could be 4 hours, could be 10.

I suggest everyone to do the same and suddenly you have infinite battery.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
is this real? Been hearing all kinds of things, like its just a revision and its the same battery life. Why haven't Sony released a statement if it is improved I think that would be a good PR move.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
is this real? Been hearing all kinds of things, like its just a revision and its the same battery life. Why haven't Sony released a statement if it is improved I think that would be a good PR move.
It’s why I posted the meme above on Friday, hearing the same it’s just a simple revision with the same battery but who knows until someone tears it apart I guess

I have two DualSenses and a charging station with outside source of power - with my play times mostly I only use one since when I finish playing games it just goes back right on to the charging station and is fully charged the next time I wanna play some games, it charges even if my console is off. And the second DualSense is just fully charged sitting there occasionally being used for long play sessions.

I think the last time I needed two controllers were on Hogwarts Legacy and God of War: Ragnarok. Finished Spider-man 2 not so long ago and I think I didn't use second controller at all.

I think my controllers last typically 6 to 8 hours. And lately I don't have longer playtime sessions than that, even on my off days.

I think when I play Warzone it lasts much longer, hyptics off, adaptive triggers off, lights on dim, speaker off, I only use mic to talk with my mates.

I do not think I actually need v2 at all with my current setup and play times.

Last edited:
Why is the battery in the original ones so bad to begin with?

Fucking finally. Battery life on DualSense is currently pathetic. I had to disable Adaptive Triggers (not that I miss them), lower intensity of Haptic Feedback and turned off speaker to get it beyond two gaming sessions.

Honestly with the amount of crap they try to pack into the thing they might as well add a screen while they at it.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Who plays 12 hours in one session anyway? Even on the weekend, that's a bit extreme. Not specifically directed at you, just in general.
I think I bought the official 2 pad charging station for like 20€ on Amazon, plugged it next to PS5, forgot about the battery issue.

Euler007

I case anyone's wondering, the thread was randomly bumped with no new info. Following the link to bestbuy.ca just gives me the old dualsense without the V2 in the text (from Canada).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I case anyone's wondering, the thread was randomly bumped with no new info. Following the link to bestbuy.ca just gives me the old dualsense without the V2 in the text (from Canada).
That’s because someone replied to it. The OP hasn’t edited it since last month.

Top Bottom