• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 DualSense Edge Controller Unboxing

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just waiting for the mailman. Whole list of PS5 games I've been waiting to play until I had proper paddles.

Also, pretty excited about the analog settings at the system level... might be possible to fix some games I find otherwise unplayable. Like all the earlier Far Cry games are absolute garbage with major input lag and weird ass input curves. MAYBE this could make those somewhat playable. We'll see.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just waiting for the mailman. Whole list of PS5 games I've been waiting to play until I had proper paddles.

Also, pretty excited about the analog settings at the system level... might be possible to fix some games I find otherwise unplayable. Like all the earlier Far Cry games are absolute garbage with major input lag and weird ass input curves. MAYBE this could make those somewhat playable. We'll see.
Can't wait hoping to see my order change from preparing to ship to shipped very soon :)

I wasn't interested from the start, mainly because the controller only has two pedals and the battery capacity is even worse than that of the Dualsense.

The only thing that interests me about the controller is whether the battery is the same size as the Dualsense and whether it is possible to install a more powerful battery in terms of space.

Whereby if we add the replacement battery, we are at a price of around €255. What an absolutely ridiculous price for what is offered.

reinking

Gold Member
I was pretty excited but this thing gets worse every time I see it.
I'm in the opposite boat. I wasn't that interested and every time I see it, I want it a little bit more. I am going to wait for real reviews once it is out in the wild to decide if I am going to get one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So instead of including Hall effects sensors in the thumbsticks they just decided to lean into the fact that their normal switches are crap that will break and sell replacements for 20 bucks? I guess it's better than having to spend $200 to buy a whole new controller, but still, monetizing the thing they know is most likely to break is kinda meh.

I would probably buy one in purple, tbh.

Gudji

Music Video Gloves GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

In my experience on the Series X with the Elite Controller, you can’t overcome bad controls just mitigate them to a degree. Being able to mess with deadzones at the system level does wonders to help with lag but it can only do so much.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Personally I think the default dual sense feels a bit more premium than the default Xbox controller so the difference between the default and pro controller is probably less than the difference between the Xbox default and pro controller which is why I’ll be skipping this as I only use my Xbox elite on my pc anyway.

For that kind of money things have to be improved and I'm not sure what that would be. Battery is worse but honestly I don't really care about that but besides exchangeable sticks I just don't see it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
In my experience on the Series X with the Elite Controller, you can’t overcome bad controls just mitigate them to a degree. Being able to mess with deadzones at the system level does wonders to help with lag but it can only do so much.
Yeah, honestly I’m more curious than optimistic. But maybe it will help in some cases. Definitely want to try it out at least.

Question from the ignorant: Is this doing anything to combat drift? Or, is it going to eventually become a 200 dollar controller that moves on it's own?
I was thinking maybe they could make the sticks modular, so you can just pop them out and put some new ones in, after drift sets in.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Question from the ignorant: Is this doing anything to combat drift? Or, is it going to eventually become a 200 dollar controller that moves on it's own?
I was thinking maybe they could make the sticks modular, so you can just pop them out and put some new ones in, after drift sets in.
Yes the sticks are modular and can be replaced for $20

My hope is someone makes a hall module even if they are a little pricier

IKTTzih.jpg

MikeM

One bonus of this is that it will likely be loads more reliable than Xbox’s Elite. Everyone I know who has spent money on them has had nothing but problems.

That the battery life is worse than the already woeful capacity in the launch controller is mind-blowing to me.
That and the price tag killed any interest I had.

Topher

Gold Member
A lot of unnecessary extras like a carrying case. A cheaper "core" version like what Microsoft is offering would be nice at some point.

Glossy black on a controller?

XiXKwUM.gif

Don't you want an excuse to wear black gloves while playing?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Ronin_7

You can replace the modules. THAT'S why I'm buying 2 EDGE Controllers. No need to ever fully replace them again.

Just buy another module & a pair of analogs.

GenericUser

Remember: Sony knows that the controllers have huge stick drift issues and their "solution" to this problem is to sell you replaceable analogue sticks.

Ronin_7

Remember: Sony knows that the controllers have huge stick drift issues and their "solution" to this problem is to sell you replaceable analogue sticks.
My 2 DS don't suffer from this yet, this is mainly a problem on Nintendo Switch these days & not PlayStation or Xbox.

GenericUser

My 2 DS don't suffer from this yet, this is mainly a problem on Nintendo Switch these days & not PlayStation or Xbox.
I'm currently on my 4th dualsense. They all developed stick drift within a few weeks/months. Why would sony offer replaceable stick modules anyway if they don't break? I'm waiting for GuliKit to show a hall sensor controller for Playstation/Xbox.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

I'm currently on my 4th dualsense. They all developed stick drift within a few weeks/months. Why would sony offer replaceable stick modules anyway if they don't break? I'm waiting for GuliKit to show a hall sensor controller for Playstation/Xbox.
That's insane.

All My friends & me with DS or Xbox controllers & non issue.

Dualshock 4 every single one developed that.

[Sigma]

It really does suck that the dpad is what it is and I need my controller to double as a fighting game controller too since I don't have one for PS5 otherwise I would go for this.

Top Bottom